PDA

View Full Version : New wheelset with Shimano 11 speed in mind (future proofing)

astaft
07-31-2012, 10:50 AM
I am going to be building a new wheelset with some Hed C2 tubies and am thinking about trying future proof them in case I ever want to go to Shimano 11 speed.

Do any of the hub manufacturers have confirmed freehub body upgrade kits? Or is it too early to know?

thanks

FlashUNC
07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Haven't seen anything confirmed for 11-speed. Only Shimano and maybe Mavic at this point?

KidWok
07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Bluesea posted this link (http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/updates-and-news/2012-hub-review-information-overload.html)awhile ago with a huge review of hubs...Looks like DT Swiss will be forward compatible.

Tai

ergott
07-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Any hub manufacturer that wishes to stay in business will make their hubs compatible.

The spacing is different, but it is similar to Campagnolo so any hub that makes a Campagnolo version of their hub needs to make a longer Shimano freehub and an endcap on the opposite side that is correspondingly shorter. Some hub shells might need tweaking.

The timing will be the only issue. Not every hub manufacturer will have 11 speed freehubs out and ready when Shimano releases 11 speed. I bet you will see more information at Interbike.

bluesea
07-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Have decided to go with 9000 next year. Here's hoping the Shimano rear hub will be available sooner than later, but if timing dictates I'll go with WB or King.

edit: Otoh it would be very cool if Campy came out with a compatible Neutron hubshell.

Kontact
07-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Any Mavic hub from the last few years will already accept Shimano 11 without modification.

Uncle Jam's Army
07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Anyone know if the existing CK R45 hubs are going to be compatible with Shimano 11 with the use of a different freehub body?

bluesea
07-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Anyone know if the existing CK R45 hubs are going to be compatible with Shimano 11 with the use of a different freehub body?

There's been talk (heh), but I've seen something somewhere of a planned hubshell for the existing R45.