PDA

View Full Version : bike/roof rack road trip advice

tele
07-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Going on a 2 week road trip tomorrow and putting one of my bikes on the roof rack. Just started thinking if I should protect the bike in some way. Any suggestions or things to watch out for? Trash bags anyone?

veloduffer
07-31-2012, 07:40 AM
I would get one of those bike "bra" like this one (http://www.rei.com/product/723020/sci-con-bike-defender) to keep the bugs off. The amount of dead bugs that accumulate is amazing. Plastic bags won't last long, although you could wrap bubble wrap around the tubes. If it rains, you have to check your bearings and re-lube the seatpost.

Of course, the best vehicle for bike road trips is a minivan.

rwsaunders
07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Ditto what Veloduffer said...the bras work. Hopefully your bike and rack have locking capabilites as well.

Gummee
07-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Ditto what Veloduffer said...the bras work. Hopefully your bike and rack have locking capabilites as well.

If you want any kind of gas mileage you want to stay away from that 'bra' thing. Can you say 'sail?'

If its a concern/you're going thru nasty weather, wrap your shifters in plastic. Re-lube the chain when you get there. Otherwise, call it good.

M
I've moved XC with 5 bikes on the roof too many times to count.

DRZRM
07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I agree with Gummee, the bra will keep the bike cleaner, but it really does impact milage to have that flat cloth on front of your bike, and it does not keep anything dry, just the front of the forks clean. I just returned from a round trip from Boston to Cleveland with a white bike on the roof and I just wiped it down on arrival with a babywipe (the one benefit of having small children), and I'll relube tonight. You could wrap your fork blades individually if you want.

I also hope you have a lock on the bike and on the rack itself. My friend's brother lost a Yakima rack, a roof box, and his locked bike while eating lunch on the road. I figure they must have tossed the whole set up into a truck of some sort.

AngryScientist
07-31-2012, 09:32 AM
let it ride. i've got literally thousands of miles on the road with various bikes. none are worse for the wear, save for a few dozen dead bugs. anything loose or bag like will flap at high speeds and bug the hell out of you.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-y9TTpAfvmwY/UAduwggWSHI/AAAAAAAAAh0/WmvL5mlHkYM/s640/IMG_0057.JPG

MattTuck
07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I take my bike inside the car if it rains. Just not worth powerwashing your hubs/bearings at 70 mph on the highway.

Try putting some pipe insulation on the forks and head tube if you want to protect it from bugs and road debris. Not a bad idea if you think you'll be on dirt roads or roads under construction (which is a near 100% probability in the summer).

tele
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
thanks for all the responses all....sounds like let it ride is going to work for now. I do have locks but the bike is going in the car whenever we stop somewhere anyway.

I just returned from a round trip from Boston to Cleveland....

Zach, we are stopping in Cleveland on the way home to see the Sox play, any tips on eats etc...?

bambam
07-31-2012, 10:13 AM
cover the forward facing parts with plastic wrap and duck tape.

Especially the shifters if its a road bike. On a 18 hour on way trip I coverd them down but not back. The were fine when we got there but on the way back my etched mavic brake levers got blasted an the etching sort of faded with the scratches.