PDA

View Full Version : Do Sports Drinks Really Work?

cnighbor1
07-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Do Sports Drinks Really Work?
—By David Tulle

Just in time for the Summer Olympics in London, a top science journal has issued
a blistering indictment of the sports drink industry. According to the series of
reports from BMJ (formerly British Medical Journal), the makers of drinks like
Gatorade and Powerade have spent millions in research and marketing in recent
decades to persuade sports and medical professionals, not to mention the rest of
us suckers, that a primal instinct—the sensation of thirst—is an unreliable
guide for deciding when to drink. We've also been battered with the notion that
boring old water is just not good enough for preventing dehydration.
I've been as susceptible to this scam as anyone else; I knew, or thought I knew,
that if I'm thirsty after my half-hour go-round on the elliptical trainer, it
means I was underhydrated to begin with. So for years I've been trying to
remember to ignore my lack of thirst and make myself drink before working out.
Not any more.
The BMJ's package of seven papers on sports performance products packs a
collective wallop. The centerpiece is a well-reported investigation of the
long-standing financial ties between the makers of Gatorade (PepsiCo), Powerade
(Coca-Cola, an official Olympic sponsor), and Lucozaid (GlaxoSmithKline) with
sports associations, medical groups, and academic researchers. It should come as
no great surprise that the findings and recommendations that have emerged
through these affiliations have tended to include alarming warnings about
dehydration and electrolyte imbalance—warnings that conveniently promote the
financial interests of the corporate sponsors.

And who knew there was something called the Gatorade Sports Science Institute?
According to the BMJ investigation, "one of GSSI's greatest successes was to
undermine the idea that the body has a perfectly good homeostatic mechanism for
detecting and responding to dehydration—thirst." The article quotes the
institute's director as having declared, based on little reliable evidence, that
"the human thirst mechanism is an inaccurate short-term indicator of fluid
needs."
Another study in the BMJ package finds that the European Food Safety Authority,
which is authorized to assess health claims in food labels and ads, has relied
on a seriously flawed review process in approving statements related to sports
drinks. A third study reports that hundreds of performance claims made on
websites about sports products, including nutritional supplements and training
equipment as well as drinks, are largely based on questionable data, and
sometimes no apparent data at all. One overall theme emerging from the various
papers is that much of the research cited was conducted with elite and endurance
athletes, who have specific nutritional and training needs; any such findings,
however, should not be presumed to hold for the vast majority of those who
engage in physical activity.
Critics have long blasted sports drinks as being loaded with calories and
unnecessary ingredients. (Not to mention concerns about the environmental costs
of producing, shipping, and discarding all those millions of plastic bottles.)
Yet the product category represents a lucrative and growing market, with US
sales of about $1.6 billion a year, according to the BMJ. In fact, Powerade is
the official sports drink of the London Olympics, and Coca-Cola is hyping the
brand with a campaign featuring top-tier athletes.
The BMJ papers address two related but distinct questions: Should people who
exercise seek to proactively replace fluids lost, or can they rely on thirst to
guide them during and after physical activity? And when they rehydrate, do they
need all the salts, sugars, and other ingredients dumped into sports drinks, or
is water fine? The correct answers are: best to rely on thirst, and water is
fine. All that stuff about replacing electrolytes and so on you've been hearing
all these years? Never mind! The evidence doesn't support it.
Overhydration presents a far greater risk of serious complications, and even
death, than dehydration.
In a commentary accompanying the investigations in the journal, Timothy Noakes,
chair of sports science at the University of Cape Town, points out that
overhydration presents a far greater risk of serious complications, and even
death, than dehydration. Moreover, he notes, the notion that fluid and
electrolytes must be immediately replaced is based on a fundamental
misunderstanding of our past as "long distance persistence hunters" in arid
regions of Africa.
"Humans do not regulate fluid balance on a moment to moment basis," Noakes
writes. "Because of our evolutionary history, we are delayed drinkers and
correct the fluid deficits generated by exercise at, for example, the next meal,
when the electrolyte (principally sodium but also potassium) deficits are also
corrected…People optimize their hydration status by drinking according to the
dictates of thirst. Over the past 40 years humans have been misled—mainly by the
marketing departments of companies selling sports drinks—to believe that they
need to drink to stay 'ahead of thirst' to be optimally hydrated."

---Krehe Ritter

Fixed
07-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Cheer
Endurance sports
Marathon runners are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much while running. This is caused when sodium levels drop below 135*mmol/L when athletes consume large amounts of fluid. This has been noted to be the result of the encouragement of excessive fluid replacement by various guidelines. This has largely been identified in marathon runners as a dilutional hyponatremia.[6] Medical personnel at marathon events are trained to suspect water intoxication immediately when runners collapse or show signs of confusion.

astaft
07-30-2012, 04:26 PM
I think the question, "do sports drinks really work?" depends on context. It is a debate of dehydration vs using it as an ergogenic aid.

Does somebody need to drink .75L of Gatorade after a 10k run or 1 hr bike ride or 1hr yoga session or a little league game? No!

Should someone drink Gatorade to prevent dehydration during a hot 5hr bike ride? probably!

Carbohydrate drinks have consistently been shown to increase performance in many different sports disciplines and distances.

Mark McM
07-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Where did this article appear?

palincss
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Paul de Vivie (1853 - 1930) aka Velocio, publisher of Le Cycliste and father of randonneuring and cyclotouring, was one of the most significant and influential people ever to write about cycling, and one of the greatest cyclists of all time. He's especially known for his Seven Rules. Note Rule two.

1. Make your stops short and infrequent so as not to lose your drive.

2. Eat lightly and often. Eat before getting hungry, drink before you are thirsty.

3. Never ride until you are so tired that you cannot eat or sleep.

4. Put on extra clothing before you're cold, and take it off before you're hot. Don't be afraid of exposing your skin to the sun, air, and rain.

5. Don't drink wine, eat meat, or smoke---at least during the ride.

6. Never rush things. Ride within yourself, particularly during the first few hours of a ride when you feel strong and are tempted to force the pace.

7. Never pedal out of vanity, don't be a show-off.

I doubt there's anyone here who hasn't experienced the truth of Rule Two first-hand. Given the right kind of hot, humid day, if you let your attention lapse and rely strictly on thirst by the time you realize you're thirsty you can find yourself deep in dehydration, and if you wait to eat until you're hungry you can bonk. Velocio wasn't pushing sports drinks when he wrote Rule 2, and he had no hidden financial motive.

jlwdm
07-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I drink just water for 40 mile rides.

My experience with my longer rides for the last 17 summers in Arizona and Texas is that if you wait until you are thirsty it is too late. Short rides I don't care.

I drink a lot of water in the summer before long rides.

Jeff

1centaur
07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
The criticisms listed in the OP one after another fail to make the claim that sports drinks do not aid performance. Financial ties? Duh, who else has the incentive most of the time. Shipping plastic bottles? Please. Works for endurance athletes does not mean they'll work for other humanoids? Really. The risks of overhydration are greater than dehydration? No duh, but that's not the question.

Instead, I'll make one of my favorite points: I'll take the wisdom of crowds over the concept of marketing-induced hypnosis all day long. Cycling forums are full of skeptics and wise guys, not to mentioned received wisdom that's complete BS. Amidst all that rubbish, have you ever sensed that electrolyte replacement for regular cyclists on long rides does not work? I haven't.

Me, I cramped with water and didn't cramp once I used sports drinks. The effects of replacement on the bike over days are evident as well. Professional cyclists are people too and are paid to use what works. I'm tempted to say this is settled science, but just can't bring myself to :)

R2D2
07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Next they'll tell me beer doesn't make woman sexy and better looking...

saab2000
07-30-2012, 06:57 PM
The guy who wrote the article should be informed that people who drink only water throw their body chemistry off and can die. Simple as that. It happens.

Probably not after a 30 minute elliptical workout but riders here know what a 5-hour ride means and the crustiness on your helmet straps and shorts and jerseys ain't pixie dust.

An article like that is borderline irresponsible.

After all, you don't win the Tour on bread and water alone. You need Heed too.....:fight:

wc1934
07-30-2012, 07:03 PM
2 articles which suggest that bananas are just as good as sports drinks - I am sure there are many more - however you need to read the fine print - see who sponsored the research - one was conducted by (surprise) - Doyle.

http://newhope360.com/blog/bananas-just-good-gatorade-sports-performance

http://www.salisburypost.com/NCRC/073110-ncrc-ASU-and-Dole-will-pit-bananas-vs-Gatorade-qcd

saab2000
07-30-2012, 07:08 PM
2 articles which suggest that bananas are just as good as sports drinks - I am sure there are many more - however you need to read the fine print - see who sponsored the research - one was conducted by (surprise) - Doyle.

http://www.salisburypost.com/NCRC/073110-ncrc-ASU-and-Dole-will-pit-bananas-vs-Gatorade-qcd

That's fine. Bananas are great. So are fig newtons. The old standbys. But they replace sugars and electrolytes. The article in the OP was implying that water alone is adequate, which it is not for serious endurance sport involving perspiration.

MattTuck
07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
eh. I don't think the article was meant for elite athletes, that is atleast how I read it.

It is geared more toward people who do 20 minutes on the treadmill, or a 20 minute game of hoops down at the local courts. And the argument isn't that you don't need to rehydrate or that you can ignore electrolytes; it is that your natural eating and drinking over the next few hours and the next meal will replace that stuff naturally. You don't need to slam a 300 calorie sports drink the second you get off the machine.

I don't think most people (I'd estimate 5% of the population) have any conception of doing anything for 5 hours in a row, except for watching TV, let alone anything athletic for that long. For that 5%, go ahead and hit the sports drinks after an hour in the saddle and stay ahead of the game.

boxerboxer
07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
2 articles which suggest that bananas are just as good as sports drinks - i am sure there are many more - however you need to read the fine print - see who sponsored the research - one was conducted by (surprise) - dole.

http://www.salisburypost.com/ncrc/073110-ncrc-asu-and-dole-will-pit-bananas-vs-gatorade-qcd

ftfy?

Jaq
07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
They certainly gum up the cable-guides under the bb if you're not careful. Watched a guy literally break his r/d shifter once because the cable was stuck from all the sugary gunk that had run down the underside of his D/T.

rugbysecondrow
07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Gatorade has helped me quite a bit...hangover helper if there ever was one.

jemoryl
07-31-2012, 09:16 AM
If you eliminated all the Gatorade/Powerade drinkers who were not doing endurance sport you would probably eliminate 95% of their market, so that seems like a vested interest. Most people who do what we do here have some notion of what they need to avoid bonking, cramps, etc. and it can be acheived using bananas, Gatorade, flat Coke or whatever you fancy.

Personally, I keep water in my bottles and eat a Clif bar every 1.5 hours if I'm going to be going for more than about 40 mi. They have more carbs and electrolytes than the sports drinks and I don't mind the way they taste. Seems to work well for me.

firerescuefin
07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Gatorade has helped me quite a bit...hangover helper if there ever was one.

Clearly they're in bed with the alcohol manufacturers.:rolleyes:

Calories + electrolytes + water (sports drinks) have served me well.....well beyond being a placebo

Earl Gray
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
The guy who wrote the article should be informed that people who drink only water throw their body chemistry off and can die. Simple as that. It happens.

Your assumptions is that we sweat fluids (H20) and electrolytes in the same proportions. Or it assumes that it is important to maintain a specific electrolyte level regardless of the amount of fluid in out body.

Neither is true.

Some studies suggest that we lose water at a greater rate. Thus, as we sweat our electrolyte ratio is increasing not decreasing.

Bottom line is that none of this is very clear cut and us lay folk should not assume we know what we are talking about. Me included.

benb
07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
I think the big thing is:

- Are gatorade, powerade, etc.. useful at all since they are so loaded with sugar and so unbalanced in electrolyte content. They're not that different from flat decaffeinated soda in a lot of cases.

- Are they necessary for the sendentary folks doing really moderate exercise in the gym, or even a basketball player who is only playing for 48 minutes, or a football player who might be playing way less then that, etc..

- Are they the best thing you can use if you ARE exerting yourself for hours in the heat

- At what heat level & exertion time do you need them.

Personally I am doing much much better using electrolyte products with zero calories + real food then I did using stuff like gatorade. Too much sugar, not enough sodium, almost no potassium, no magnesium. I could drink all the gatorade in the world on a hot 4 hour ride and I'm still going to have major headaches from lack of electrolytes, I'll cramp eventually & probably get GI distress from the excess sugar. (Particularly when it was HFCS) Nothing more fun then struggling up a mountain out of breath because you're burping and getting cramps from gatorade.

I get by fine with just water + food on multi-hour rides in cold weather. 1 hour ride in 60-80 degree weather, still water, no food. If it goes above 80 degrees I'll use electrolyte tabs even for 1 hour and they become really important for multi-hour rides.

I used to end up drinking gatorade because it is the lowest common denominator, if you're going on the assumption you are getting this stuff in prepared form as liquid you can buy gatorade at every gas station in the country, so you never run out. Now that I am just carrying tablets, I can just buy water or get some from a fountain. Something like Hammer, Accelerade, etc.. was pointless to me as I can't carry a tub of it on the ride to mix. If I was going to end up back on gatorade after 2 hours what was the point of starting with something better. (I got F'ed up on Cytomax with "herbal lift" at one point anyway, so I'm not sure I think the more expensive sports drinks are better then gatorade anyway.)

I actually tolerate gatorade better when riding cold weather bizarrely enough.. when it's actually hot enough to need electrolytes it is much more likely to make me sick.

illuminaught
07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Please take a moment to get educated how the body uses ionic gradients.

This thread saddens me. Scientific literacy fail.

No doubt there are dark forces at work when medical professionals are influenced by business, but is that a new story? Pushing salt is much less noxious than pushing hormone therapies, chemotoxins, or signalling distorting molecules.

illuminaught
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Your assumptions is that we sweat fluids (H20) and electrolytes in the same proportions. Or it assumes that it is important to maintain a specific electrolyte level regardless of the amount of fluid in out body.
Neither is true.
Some studies suggest that we lose water at a greater rate. Thus, as we sweat our electrolyte ratio is increasing not decreasing.
Bottom line is that none of this is very clear cut and us lay folk should not assume we know what we are talking about. Me included.

Oh yes, the body is one large balloon where if volume is lost, the solution is concentrated... there aren't separate systems, types of balloons, or gradients to think about at all.

...since there is only one type of "electrolyte"... :facepalm:

Sound advice...

Does your sweat taste like ultra pure water, or does it taste like salt...?
That salt you're referring to doesn't just get lost out of your pores.

illuminaught
07-31-2012, 11:06 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/itunes-u/nutritional-sciences-toxicology/id460482191?mt=10

Check these lectures out... free and world class.