PDA

View Full Version : Calf Injury question -

veloduffer
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
My left calf in the upper left corner has been bothering me since last week. Of course, I aggravated it by doing 62 mile ride with 9 climbs (about 3200 ft of elevation). The last climb was someone's idea of sick humor - 1 mile climb at mile 59 with two sections of 15% grade and easier 8% section at the top. Not only did I fight the injury but cramps as well. I was grateful for my 12-29 Campy cassette.

It only hurts when I ride seated but not when out of the saddle (or walking). Not being a doctor or having slept at a Holiday Inn, is it a tendon or ligament and is time off the only cure (I did RICE yesterday)? I used Advil on the ride and it did take the edge off the pain.

harryblack
07-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Duffer, I can't speak on your injury, alas, but I know Morris Cty roads very well; do you mind sharing where the sick climbs were? I have some ideas but ...

Get better!

My left calf in the upper left corner has been bothering me since last week. Of course, I aggravated it by doing 62 mile ride with 9 climbs (about 3200 ft of elevation). The last climb was someone's idea of sick humor - 1 mile climb at mile 59 with two sections of 15% grade and easier 8% section at the top. Not only did I fight the injury but cramps as well. I was grateful for my 12-29 Campy cassette.

It only hurts when I ride seated but not when out of the saddle (or walking). Not being a doctor or having slept at a Holiday Inn, is it a tendon or ligament and is time off the only cure (I did RICE yesterday)? I used Advil on the ride and it did take the edge off the pain.

veloduffer
07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Duffer, I can't speak on your injury, alas, but I know Morris Cty roads very well; do you mind sharing where the sick climbs were? I have some ideas but ...

Get better!

Naughright Rd in Long Valley, off of Bartley. The ride was the Tour de Long Valley - here's the route:
http://connect.garmin.com/course/1564966

Hank Scorpio
07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Bailey Hollow off 202 is steeper but shorter. They are doing some construction on it now. Further up 202 towards Morristown is Skyline about the same avg grade but longer and lighter traffic pattern.