PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight alternative to a Brooks Pro?

Gat64
07-30-2012, 05:35 AM
So I love my Brook Pro saddles, but I am about to build a lightweight bike for shorter rides and would like to use something lighter that the Brooks Pro.

Does anybody know of a saddle with similar shape to the Pro that would be an ok substitute?

Cheers.

palincss
07-30-2012, 05:52 AM
The Brooks Team Pro Titanium will have exactly the same shape and leather, but with Titanium rails will be noticeably lighter (as will your wallet).

biker72
07-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Take a look at the Selle An-Atomica group of saddles.

Aaron O
07-30-2012, 06:22 AM
You couldn't pay me to ride a Selle AnAtomica. Obviously everyone's rear is different, but it had what seemed like cheaper leather, and less of it - the result of which was a hammock. It was also longgggg and rode right where you didn't want it. If you like the Brooks Pro, don't go near it.

The Regals aren't that different in shape from a Pro...you can get one with ti rails relatively inexpensively and they're a fair bit lighter.

AngryScientist
07-30-2012, 06:28 AM
if you can get past the price tag, the new Fizik line, the kurve saddles perform similarly to Brooks saddles. they utilize the "hammock" effect that is one of the reasons people like brooks. I have a few hundred miles on the antares version of the kurve and like it a lot.

http://www.probikesupply.com/product_images/i/302/Kurve_Chameleon_TOP__11364_zoom.jpg

Gat64
07-30-2012, 06:59 AM
I did try a Fizik once, and did not like it - but it was a different model from the one you show. Maybe I can try an borrow one from my LBS for a weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Just to reiterate what Aaron said, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the An-atomica. The ride is very comfortable and forgiving on the "sensitive" bits, but I find I have to tighten it every 200 miles or so, and after a year, I'm running out of bolt. I'll be going back to a Brooks Pro after this.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2012, 08:15 AM
So I love my Brook Pro saddles, but I am about to build a lightweight bike for shorter rides and would like to use something lighter that the Brooks Pro.

Does anybody know of a saddle with similar shape to the Pro that would be an ok substitute?

Cheers.

I wouldn't muck with your saddle if ya like one..just to reduce the weight by 200 or so grams. If ya gotta lose those 200-250 grams(about 1/2 pound, about 8-10 ounces), loose it somewhere else, where you don't 'touch' the bike.

'Lightweight bike for shorter rides'...all up hill?

BillG
07-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I did try a Fizik once, and did not like it - but it was a different model from the one you show. Maybe I can try an borrow one from my LBS for a weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Kurve comes in three models. If you like the Pro, you might try the Fizik Bull. It's like the Aliante.

Aaron O
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
This comes with ti rails:

http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
This comes with ti rails:

http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

Probably feels like my Berthoud.

jr59
07-30-2012, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't muck with your saddle if ya like one..just to reduce the weight by 200 or so grams. If ya gotta lose those 200-250 grams(about 1/2 pound, about 8-10 ounces), loose it somewhere else, where you don't 'touch' the bike.

this is good advice. I need to remember it myself. :cool:

Aaron O
07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Probably feels like my Berthoud.

I've been curious about those! Not worth a try?

fiamme red
07-30-2012, 09:04 AM
I've been curious about those! Not worth a try?Berthoud is first-rate, far better than the current Brooks saddles in both leather and construction, in my opinion. You just need to give it a little time (and maybe some treatment with mink oil) before it breaks in.

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 09:04 AM
I've been curious about those! Not worth a try?

I actually like mine alot. It's pretty stiff at first but breaks in nicely. I find I have to treat it with leather conditioner fairly frequently as it seems to absorb a lot of sweat... But I do really like it. I've got about 1000 miles on mine so far, and it shows no sign of quitting anytime soon. And man, it looks SHARP.

eddief
07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I know this is not Brooks Pro related, but I used to ride the B17 on all my bikes. Wanted lightweight alternative. Tried many and somehow it turns out the relatively inexpensive, somewhat unknown WTB Pure V saddle works well for me. They look sorta funny and curvy, but I like em. Just an idea.

Aaron O
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I actually like mine alot. It's pretty stiff at first but breaks in nicely. I find I have to treat it with leather conditioner fairly frequently as it seems to absorb a lot of sweat... But I do really like it. I've got about 1000 miles on mine so far, and it shows no sign of quitting anytime soon. And man, it looks SHARP.

Just based on aesthetics, yeah - they're KILLER. Gerrrrrrr...now I have to try out another expensive saddle just to satisfy my curiosity. That cork look they do looks brilliant (though likely hard to match with bar tape).

Gat64
07-30-2012, 10:47 AM
I can appreciate that, but there is a little vanity thing going on with this build... it's for C50 I just purchased from a forum member and I wanted a certain look with the first carbon bike I have owned. And yes, it will do many circuits (70-80 times a year) of a hilly 64km route I do up here in Ottawa.

Gat64
07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
The Kurve comes in three models. If you like the Pro, you might try the Fizik Bull. It's like the Aliante.

Thanks - I was wondering which model might be best. I guess it is just the width differences? Seems like an interesting design addressing exactly what I was looking for.

Bradford
07-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I switched from Brooks Pro's to Aliantes on all my bikes a few years ago after getting caught in heavy rain and ruining a Brooks. I never looked back. They are just as comfortable to me and I don't have to worry about rain.

Gat64
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know, when Fizik talks about rider flexibility, are they referring to your crouch position on the bike? In other words, if you lean over more, you are more flexible?

forrestw
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I've also swapped my Brooks - swallow out for my Aliante recently because I was sliding forward too much on the Brooks and having to maintain upper-body tension to resist that. The Aliante is marginally less comfortable on the butt but in an overall sense it's working better for me.

Ken Robb
07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I have Brooks b-17 and Pro saddles on most of my bikes. I bought a bike that had a Fizik Arione. I just KNEW it had to be an ass hatchet. Imagine my surprise to find it almost as comfy as my Brooks. I is still on my Hampsten Strada Bianca and I also like a WTB Laser on my Mtn. Bike so I am lucky to have found a few saddles that work for me. FWIW I often ride in regular shorts and boxers for rides of 20 miles or less.

I have tried some other saddles that were VERY uncomfortable for me so it isn't that I can't feel anything "down there".:)

dd74
07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
I think the Brooks Swallow Ti is lighter than the Swift Ti.

The lightest Fizik I know of, the Carbon CX is only 200 grams lighter.

The weight difference really is negligible when compared to the comfort of the Brooks.

srice
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Just based on aesthetics, yeah - they're KILLER. Gerrrrrrr...now I have to try out another expensive saddle just to satisfy my curiosity. That cork look they do looks brilliant (though likely hard to match with bar tape).

That cork look didn't last long for me. I can't tell my cork saddle from a brown saddle. Great saddle though and I will not be buying Brooks in the future. As I wear out the Brooks on the rest of my bikes, they are getting Berthouds as replacements.

CNY rider
07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
You couldn't pay me to ride a Selle AnAtomica. Obviously everyone's rear is different, but it had what seemed like cheaper leather, and less of it - the result of which was a hammock. It was also longgggg and rode right where you didn't want it. If you like the Brooks Pro, don't go near it.

The Regals aren't that different in shape from a Pro...you can get one with ti rails relatively inexpensively and they're a fair bit lighter.

It's all so individual.
I have two Team Pros and enjoy them.
Had the chance to try a Regal and it was awful. I had pain and numbness at the 90 minute mark that would worsen with time on multiple rides.
Rolls, I do OK with.

dawgie
07-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I used to ride w/ Brooks B17s on my road bikes. I tried a Fizik Aliante, which was very comfortable but a little too narrow. Then I picked up a Fizik Vitesse, which is shaped just like the Aliante but 1 cm wider, and it fit perfect. It weighs half as much as a B17 and is just as comfortable for me. I now have Fizik Vitesse saddles on 4 bikes. Most of them I have picked up on eBay for very low prices, $20-30.

DRZRM
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm with you an this. It a comfortable saddle, but it stretches very quickly, especially if you get it wet. I'm through half the tightening bolt and I've only had mine for four months.

Just to reiterate what Aaron said, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the An-atomica. The ride is very comfortable and forgiving on the "sensitive" bits, but I find I have to tighten it every 200 miles or so, and after a year, I'm running out of bolt. I'll be going back to a Brooks Pro after this.

nighthawk
07-31-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm with you an this. It a comfortable saddle, but it stretches very quickly, especially if you get it wet. I'm through half the tightening bolt and I've only had mine for four months.

I put mine on my commuter. It's a great saddle for a 7am ride to work.