PDA

View Full Version : Shimano change cassette hub diameters?

jischr
07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I just pulled my DA 9-spd cassette off a Mavic wheel and dropped a 'newer' 10-spd cassette on it. The 10 spd appears to have a larger diameter carrier for the three largest gears and the individual sprockets. Consequently it is rather sloppy and moves vertically a bit more than the 9-spd. Once tighten up it seems to be working fine. Is this a known thing that I don't know about? Should I have any concern about a sprocket slipping over the hub? The Mavic wheel is probably 8-10 years old.

Thanks.

henry14
07-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I believe you will need a spacer. Something like this.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&major=11&minor=6&description=Cassette+Low+Spacer+10+Speed&vendorCode=SHIM

oldpotatoe
07-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I just pulled my DA 9-spd cassette off a Mavic wheel and dropped a 'newer' 10-spd cassette on it. The 10 spd appears to have a larger diameter carrier for the three largest gears and the individual sprockets. Consequently it is rather sloppy and moves vertically a bit more than the 9-spd. Once tighten up it seems to be working fine. Is this a known thing that I don't know about? Should I have any concern about a sprocket slipping over the hub? The Mavic wheel is probably 8-10 years old.

Thanks.

Not an issue but you need the shimano supplied 1mm spacer along with the Mavic 2mm spacer..tighten the lockring, go ride.