PDA

View Full Version : Guys zipping down Conzelman Rd. SF (steep, narrow, and windy) on BMX bikes!

monkeybanana86
07-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Anyone think this is pretty crazy:

http://vimeo.com/46452425

ultraman6970
07-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Dont take my comment bad but...

Well considering that they arent going that fast, I would say cool but their handling skills are not like super good to have an accident that dumb. Those curves arent that close to get off the road and they are not going super fast either.

The nice of descending in a BMX is that you can handle the bike way more than a road bike because the tires are wider and the bike is way smaller and more controlable, you can lean moto style or even take the foot out motocross style to balance better as the guy in the back sort of did in one curve. Reminds me when i was like 13 doing bmx and yes i did crazy stuff like that :D

Cool video good for them :) was fun for sure :)

Bob Loblaw
07-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Meh. I pass guys going faster than that.

Awesome road though.

BL

monkeybanana86
07-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Dont take my comment bad but...

Well considering that they arent going that fast, I would say cool but their handling skills are not like super good to have an accident that dumb. Those curves arent that close to get off the road and they are not going super fast either.

The nice of descending in a BMX is that you can handle the bike way more than a road bike because the tires are wider and the bike is way smaller and more controlable, you can lean moto style or even take the foot out motocross style to balance better as the guy in the back sort of did in one curve. Reminds me when i was like 13 doing bmx and yes i did crazy stuff like that :D

Cool video good for them :) was fun for sure :)

no offense taken. I just wouldn't do it on a BMX! At first I thought they were going brakeless but I can't tell from that video. You're right, it's no TdF speed but that hill is fun as heck, since it's one way you can just let go (actually now that I think about it I have seen a biker going up it once).

lemondvictoire
07-27-2012, 08:59 PM
That's not in San Francisco!!!! That road is located across the Golden Gate Bridge in the Marin Headlands just north of San Francisco. Crazy twisty downhill that has claimed more than a few cyclists!!!!!!!!:bike:

eddief
07-27-2012, 09:15 PM
that downhill, especially near the top, makes parts of me pucker. looked as if they had it mostly under control on one of the finest examples of pavement in the SF Bay Area.

monkeybanana86
07-27-2012, 10:21 PM
that downhill, especially near the top, makes parts of me pucker. looked as if they had it mostly under control on one of the finest examples of pavement in the SF Bay Area.

yeah you go fast fast (at least on a road bike). 18% then corner!

tannhauser
07-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Ain't no big, but dragging the right food to brake on a left hand turn - dubble yew tee eff.

The other guy forgot to turn evidently.

mjb266
07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm going to guess they're running brakeless or with just a rear at best. There's a spot after that tight left where the guy in back looks to be tapping a foot on the rear wheel.

Amazing road, idiot riders.

DRietz
07-27-2012, 11:30 PM
I love Conzelman...now that you've reminded me, I'll be making a trip out there this Sunday.

Thankyaverymuch!

doode
07-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Dude in the back(who didn't crash) isn't brakeless. Looks like a fun time, fast or not.

Earl Gray
07-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Why crazy?

Because they are on BMX bikes?

It is a myth that only a well balanced, road racing bike made/designed at the hands of a master handles well.

You could do the same decent on a coaster brake beach cruiser.

Now doing hills like that on a Long Board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkviQ41u0eQ

That's crazy!

hiljentaa
07-28-2012, 09:44 AM
You could do the same decent on a coaster brake beach cruiser.

I would love to give that a go.

Rubeboy
07-28-2012, 12:05 PM
The video does not accurately convey how crazy steep the first 100 meters (or so) of that descent are.
You've got a sheer drop off into the pacific on your left and the road just drops away beneath your front tire.
It's a blast.
A clincher, but a blast.

benitosan1972
07-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Conzelman is a wild descent even on a road bike with 2 brakes and drop bars.
The fact that they are on bmx, upright, and sans helmet or brakes, is certainly
bold, crazy, and a bit stupid... but makes for a pretty cool video attempt. Like.

Chance
07-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I would love to give that a go.

+1

But with a helmet. That part seems crazy.

Speed is hard to judge on video. Can only see lean angles not extreme. Still looks fun.

avalonracing
07-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I think those knuckleheads made a great little video. On top of that it's nice to see an (almost) "extreme" video without some death-metal-thrasher soundtrack playing behind it.
Fun stuff.

reptarlazer
07-28-2012, 02:50 PM
The shot is pretty cool. They're not going all that fast. On wide tires like that you top out pretty quickly. I wish they had converted the audio track to an aiff. It sounds so choppy. :no:

TPetsch
07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
+1 on the Awesome Road statement.

bfd
07-28-2012, 06:04 PM
haha, that's the back side of the Marin headlands. It would be more impressive if they filmed those guys climbing up to the top on their bmx bikes....Good Luck!

benitosan1972
07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
haha, that's the back side of the Marin headlands. It would be more impressive if they filmed those guys climbing up to the top on their bmx bikes....Good Luck!

I've done that before = GT Speed Series 24" BMX 44x15 freewheel + rear brake... the descent was scary (and I did not crash)... even more fun was the tunnel to bring you back to GG Bridge :banana:

Fixed
07-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Want your kid to learn how to sprint get him into BMX racing
IMHO
Cheers :)

Lovetoclimb
07-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Looks awesome. The music really makes it that much more fun to watch. I wonder what the Strava KOM is for the ascent? Need to make this road part of a loop when I get out to SF for some riding.

eddief
07-28-2012, 07:26 PM
a reminder would be it is a one way road going northerly when starting at the top overlooking THE bridge.