PDA

View Full Version : Team Sky sponsorship in the news

torquer
07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
In the business section, for once:

Nearly a week before the opening of the Olympic Games in London, the first gold of the summer was handed out on the streets of Paris.

So say executives of British Sky Broadcasting, the pay-television company that sponsors the Sky bicycle- racing team — one of whose riders, Bradley Wiggins, on Sunday took home the yellow jersey as the winner of the Tour de France. It was not just an athletic triumph but also a marketing coup for BSkyB, whose principal owner is Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp.

Brand Republic, a British Web site about marketing, called it “a game-changing stroke of marketing and sporting genius,” saying few other brands had achieved so much return on their sponsorship investment, especially in relatively low-profile sports like cycling.

It also helped, of course, that things went the right way for Sky on the back roads of France.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/business/global/bskyb-strikes-gold-with-tour-de-france-sponsorship.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=team%20sky&st=Search
Always good news for the sport when sponsorship is rewarded, but I'm still sceptical about the return on investment for most sponsors. I suspect Sky's success was a one-shot deal, with the stars (Tour, Olympics, Cav, Wiggo) aligning. But good news nonetheless.

fiamme red
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
What returns did U.S. Postal Service, Berry Floor, or Discovery Channel reap from LANCE's Tour victories?

torquer
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
USPS remains the poster child for "huh?" marketing decisions, but they did make some claim about the sponsorship building employee team spirit (and no workplace could use it more, from what I've heard about the PO.)
Things worked out OK for Trek, though.

Birddog
07-27-2012, 10:22 AM
IIRC, USPS aim was to increase sales of their Europe to US shipping. I'm pretty sure they said it was mission accomplished while sponsoring the team.

MattTuck
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
IIRC, USPS aim was to increase sales of their Europe to US shipping. I'm pretty sure they said it was mission accomplished while sponsoring the team.

This was my understanding also.

It honestly can't be any worse than Quickstep. If you know what product quickstep sells, I'd be very surprised.

even when you type quickstep into google, it's FIRST suggestion is the cycling team, NOT the actual product.

torquer
07-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Matt, I would consider that a success for Quickstep's sponsorship. But I suspect that their laminate flooring would come up higher in the search results in Europe, their primary market. Unless the dance has caught on there, too...

I always make a point of mentioning Mapei's cycling connection to their sales/technical reps at construction trade shows and industry events. Most of them have at least a casual knowledge of HQ's history of sponsorship. And I got rewarded once with swag in the form of a backpack with their trademark tumbling Jello-shots graphics.:banana:

acorn_user
07-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Quick Step make flooring, like Berry Floor and Mapei. In fact, I saw a Mapei tile catalogue at my friend's place and it warmed my heart :)