PDA

View Full Version : Saddles....

oldguy00
09-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I am a long time fan of San Marco Regal saddles. I like the wide -flat-platform on the back.
Just wondering, are there any modern racing style saddles out there that retain the rear shape/size of the regal, but have a lower profile height-wise (rails closer to the saddle, etc.)?
Thanks!

cs124
09-23-2005, 09:05 AM
San Marco Squadra HDP.

Wide flat rear but not quite as wide as a Regal and a bit harder. Looks modern in a mid '90s kinda way. Comfy... for my ar5e anyway.

oldguy00
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Anyone tried (or even seen?) one of these? Looks like it has a width within 2mm of the regal...
http://www.sellesanmarco.com/products/rever.asp

rpm
09-23-2005, 09:54 AM
This year's saddle experiment for me was the Rever. My sit bones didn't quite fit on it in the right places, so I went back to the Regal, which is wonderfully supportive. So what if the Regal looks "old school"? It's a good look and a great saddle.

CalfeeFly
09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
The Regal is still a top ten saddle in the Peloton. Last year Velo had a list and the new saddles are not really represented much at all. Weight is not a big deal either to the pros. It is obvious it is comfort and fit. A friend who has raced for over 10 years rides a Turbo. (I believe that was in the list as well.) I remember the Regal because I had one on a bike that I just sold to a friend. I never wanted to replace it as long as it was ok.

If you are out of them do an eBay and Google search. I found some Turbo's for my friend that way. I have a stockpile of the Selle Italia Novus and he has his Turbo's.

Another Old Guy ;)

oldguy00
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Although a dumb reason, the only reason I wanted a saddle with the rails closer to the saddle is because I'm not the tallest guy in the world, and I already don't have much seatpost showing, so ideally I'd like to find a regal-like saddle with a lower profile. Weight is not a concern of mine really.

davids
09-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I think the Regal's about the prettiest saddle out there. I use an Arione because it feels better, but I've held onto the Regal for another day...

bluesea
09-23-2005, 02:25 PM
All saddles are different even though they may look a like, because subtle changes in shape have noticable effects. I'd look into the Aliante.

justinf
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
side note: do all Regals have the large cast rails with the sidebars that only fit certain posts? Mine didn't work with my American Classic post; I had to swap it out with a Campy aero.

dawgie
09-23-2005, 03:42 PM
The Fizik Aliante saddle has a size and shape that is very similar to Regal, but it is not as firm. The Fizik Vitesse also seems to be very similar, and closer in width to the Regal, that is, wider than Aliante.

Needs Help
09-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Isn't the Aliante much narrower than the Regal?

Ray
09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Isn't the Aliante much narrower than the Regal?
Yeah, it is narrower by at least a cm, maybe closer to two. The main difference I find, though, is that the Regal is basically flat front to back. The Aliante dips in the middle with an upswept tail. To me, this is a MAJOR difference in how a saddle feels and how I sit on it. I don't find the Regal and Aliante very similar at all.

-Ray

mls
09-23-2005, 06:26 PM
i like the turbo but i think they have stopped
making them how is the regal shape in comparison