PDA

View Full Version : anodization

nmrt
07-26-2012, 01:30 PM
hey, guys,
are there any outfits that anodize aluminum? I was thinking about anodizing my silver seatpost head to green to match the green accents on my bike. The seat post is similar to the ones made by eriksen or moots. i can definitely live with the silver but if there is someone who does it for a decent price, i'd be game.
thanks!

Louis
07-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes. If you live in a fairly large city you will almost certainly find local shops that do this. (getting the exact color you want may be a challenge)

Search the web for anodization shops in your area and you'll find something. I know there are several in the St Louis area.

Charles M
07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Look for chrome plating auto places... If they don't also ano, they'll know who does.

monkeybanana86
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Look for chrome plating auto places... If they don't also ano, they'll know who does.

ooo i really like chrome bikes but apparently it's not easy to get someone to do it successfully!

false_Aest
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
there's a small issue with ano:

color matching. part of the process is an art AND i've been told that the series of alloy can make a big difference in how it comes out.

like someone said, most big cities have a place or two. if you can't find one and can't find a chrome plater, try hitting up a powder coating shop.

when you take the piece in to get anodized make sure you leave em with a reference object so that they can get it as close as possible.

old iron rider
07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
:)You will soon find out that chrome and ano are becoming lost arts, thanks to the EPA. I worked in a machine shop that did chroming, and all he had left was a few tanks and plumbing. We used to chrome crankshaft journals. The chemicals and regulations are in many cases too much for most shops, and the fact that cars and trucks don't use as much "real" chrome anymore. Good luck.

ultraman6970
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
You can do it at home... look for chroming at home... cant remember the place but they sell you the whole kit to do it. Not hard, so so expensive but is time consuming and has fumes and stuff. If you have a large shed and no kids i would say that you can do it.

andywills
07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Mmm...chromium (VI) its what for dinner. And a cyanide strike for dessert...

Charles M
07-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Chrome is different than ano as a process. Ano is more home friendly...

But the chemical dipping and prep are semi- similar which is why you'll find plating, anno together with metal stripping places.

rice rocket
07-27-2012, 08:59 AM
there's a small issue with ano:

color matching. part of the process is an art AND i've been told that the series of alloy can make a big difference in how it comes out.

like someone said, most big cities have a place or two. if you can't find one and can't find a chrome plater, try hitting up a powder coating shop.

when you take the piece in to get anodized make sure you leave em with a reference object so that they can get it as close as possible.

Humidity is a pretty big factor too.

Keep in mind that your one-off part may be expensive. To run one batch, matched to your very specific color, means that no other items can put placed with your part. Most places charge by the batch, so it's in your best interest to anodize as many parts as you can.

nmrt
07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
yep, called a couple of places in the denver area. most wont even anodize a part as small as a seatpost head. the one that would is charging $80. so, bye-bye to this dream....
thanks all, your suggestions were very helpful. but to do the anodization yourself, looks pretty easy. and since i work in a chemistry lab, i have all the equipment. lets see...

dancingbear
07-27-2012, 10:02 PM
You can do it at home... look for chroming at home... cant remember the place but they sell you the whole kit to do it. Not hard, so so expensive but is time consuming and has fumes and stuff. If you have a large shed and no kids i would say that you can do it.
Caswell Plating is who you are thinking of. We have one of their small batch Annodizing set ups at work.

ultraman6970
07-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Those ones... It must take a lot of try and error but doable imo, but the issue is the place to do it. I had a super big shed like half a mile from anybody i would do crazy stuff like that :D