PDA

View Full Version : gloves with absolutely no padding?

Climb01742
07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
i like to ride bare-handed. but in the summer, on some very hot rides, my hands get really sweaty, hence slippery. does anyone know of gloves that have no padding on the palm whatsoever? much appreciated.

Vinci
07-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I use Giro Zeros. No padding at all. Just thin leather palms and a sweat rag on the thumb.

danielpack22@ma
07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
I have a set of Pearl Izumi with a Pittards leather palm and no padding. They've held up very well. A word of warning... Buy the black ones (black fabric on the back) instead of the white ones. The white ones have the palms dyed black and the dye comes off when you sweat. The dye doesn't, however, come off of your hands!:mad:

spacemen3
07-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't like wearing gloves much either, but I've been pleased with Oakley Factory Gloves, even in scorching weather.

malcolm
07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I use Giro Zeros. No padding at all. Just thin leather palms and a sweat rag on the thumb.

These have worked well for me. The first pair I had bled dye on my hands, subsequent ones have not done so

jr59
07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
I use these;

http://www.amazon.com/Airius-Finger-Cycling-Gloves-Natural/dp/B000BMT2Z6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

djg21
07-26-2012, 09:29 AM
you might try different handlebar tape.

I hate wearing gloves. I do have bigger hands, and like a thicker bar. I use the FIZIK gel kit to add some girth to the bar and microtex tape. I don't have any problem with slipping even in hot and humid weather.

zap
07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
you might try different handlebar tape.

Hoods get slippy too.

esldude
07-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I too use some Pearl Izumi's with no padding. Seem to hold up well and are mesh on the back to promote some cooling.

boxerboxer
07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Hoods get slippy too.

Yeah, what can be done about that? And levers? Was in the rain on Tuesday and my 7900 levers were hard-to-grab slippery.

dave thompson
07-26-2012, 10:23 AM
If you like long-fingered gloves (I do) the Giro Lusso LX are excellent.

Birddog
07-26-2012, 10:34 AM
A big +! for Giro Zero's. I have 7 pair, one pair semi-retired, six in rotation. Best glove I have ever owned and frequently on sale for less than $20. They seem to hold up pretty well too.

tannhauser
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I must be expecting too much -- my Zeros have been falling apart for quite some time.

But I still wear them, strung together like a quilted patchwork.

keithreynolds
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I have some Specialized BG Radiator gloves and Fox digit gloves. minimal padding - I thought none but just read the specs - maybe they added a little in recent years.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/gloves/mountainbikegloves

djg21
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Hoods get slippy too.

GatorAde, Heed, anything with sugar. No matter how OCD I am, I can't seem to avoid ending my rides with sticky levers.:bike:

pdmtong
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Giro Zero

first gen had some dye bleed issues which have now all been corrected. these work GREAT. I do not like padded gloves nor do I need them. I wash mine hang dry after every ride and they are on second or third season now.

if you are ok with synthetic tape, the fizik dual has a nice feel not bulky like padded bar tape.

keevon
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm a big fan of the Specialized XC Lite full-finger glove. Zero padding, snug fit, very breathable. I wear 'em for both road and mountain.

http://www.allez-bid.com/store/image/cache/GV_SPECIALIZED_09_XC_ELITE_C-500x500.jpg

godfrey1112000
07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
These have worked well for me. The first pair I had bled dye on my hands, subsequent ones have not done so

they are minimalist, red and black bleed

tannhauser
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm a big fan of the Specialized XC Lite full-finger glove. Zero padding, snug fit, very breathable. I wear 'em for both road and mountain.

http://www.allez-bid.com/store/image/cache/GV_SPECIALIZED_09_XC_ELITE_C-500x500.jpg

Do you find these hotter than short-fingered gloves and how is the durability?

67-59
07-26-2012, 12:49 PM
I tried the Giro Zeros - never again. Got two pairs and both bleed dye so bad that my palms are jet black for two or three days afterwards.

And these are not old - I got them just a few weeks ago. So much for fixing the problem....

Birddog
07-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I bought 4 pair of Zeros this year. 2red, 2 black, no bleed. 1st pair 3 years ago did bleed until first wash.

jumpjube
07-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Purchased over a couple of years. No problems with dye bleed.

My favorite summer glove.

Ralph
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
I use bike riding gloves from Wallmart. Cheap....and they work. Almost no padding, can throw them in washing machine, and they last a year or so....and I sweat a lot here in Florida. I also have some hi priced gloves from Pearl....but usually use my Wallmart gloves.

But hey.....my riding glasses....my favorite ones over my bike shop glasses.....come rom Dollar Tree. $1.

Johnnyg
07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
i like to ride bare-handed. but in the summer, on some very hot rides, my hands get really sweaty, hence slippery. does anyone know of gloves that have no padding on the palm whatsoever? much appreciated.

I like the Rapha team glove. Comfortable and minimalist. They work for me. Good luck and stay cool. JG

slidey
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
I just go gloveless and wipe off sweat on jersey/bibs periodically.

BdaGhisallo
07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Giro LTZ - less than zero. Accept no imitations. They are thinner than the Zero and more comfortable. I wear them in XS and they are skin tight (the charcoal gloves look light grey on me) so they don't move at all, ever!

tannhauser
07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Giro LTZ - less than zero. Accept no imitations. They are thinner than the Zero and more comfortable. I wear them in XS and they are skin tight (the charcoal gloves look light grey on me) so they don't move at all, ever!

Durability?

BdaGhisallo
07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I get about six months out of a pair, with daily use and a trip through the washing machine after each wearing. I usually retire them when they lose a teeny bit of snugness and fit a little looser than I like. I have gloves swimming around under my palms when I am grabbing the bars, and with the LTZ I don't have to worry about that.

tannhauser
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I get about six months out of a pair, with daily use and a trip through the washing machine after each wearing. I usually retire them when they lose a teeny bit of snugness and fit a little looser than I like. I have gloves swimming around under my palms when I am grabbing the bars, and with the LTZ I don't have to worry about that.

Been looking at those for awhile but backed off due to them looking fragile. Good to know, thx.

The fit is true to size/should one size down?

EricEstlund
07-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Big fan of the Fox Inclines. Full finger, but I've been using them three season (not in the cold of the winter) for years.

BdaGhisallo
07-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Been looking at those for awhile but backed off due to them looking fragile. Good to know, thx.

The fit is true to size/should one size down?

I am not sure. Is there any "truth" in sizing anymore? The only reference I can give you is that I wore small in the Assos prosline gloves for years and small P Izumi full fingered gloves fit me nicely too. So, by that, I did size down to get the tight fit I wanted. YMMV.

cheers,
Geoff