PDA

View Full Version : brainstorming: fixed road frames, do it all bike...

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 06:40 AM
i'm getting into the idea of doing some longer fixed rides, light rando stuff really. my long term goal is to get a super rando series under my belt on the fixed gear bike, and although a lofty goal, eventually PBP.

i've been logging some nice miles on my old Windsor, but really - this bike isnt the greatest. it weighs as much as a tank, and it just isnt responsive the way my other steel bikes are, it feels overly muted, dead really. I also have a generic alu frame fixed frame that is lighter and nicer overall, but still not quite there.

i want a fixed frame, with road geometry that's a little lighter, and a little more lively. i tip the scales at 135# at the moment, and my idea of randonneuring would be super minimalist, large saddle bag, or bar bag, and that's it. i want a bike i can ride all the time, mixing it up with the roadies on the weekends, and punishingly long solo training rides. having rack and fender braze ons would be a plus, but not a deal breaker. to be honest, my windsor it working for what i want it to do, i just want something a little livelier. i'm also in no hurry, this is a long term goal, and frankly the fixed bikes i have are working OK.

what are some frames you can think of that fit this bill? what would be a good tubeset to consider ? for a steel fixed frame, i am setting a firm budget at $1000, frame only. this is something i want to really be able to beat up, and not be devastated if i bang up pretty good.

ideas??

the windsor that will be displaced:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RuylfRT4HQE/UAdu0TJIoWI/AAAAAAAAAh8/BXThuScKBYI/s640/IMG_0062.JPG

Wilkinson4
07-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Peter B has the sweetest Potts fixegear bike he rode in PBP IIRC. But that is outside the budget. Maybe he will loan it to you:D I would look at an upgrade in vintage steel... There is a really nice Jim Redcay on e-bay right now that is just a tad too big I think.

Maybe something french, with Vitus steel tubing.?. Motobecane grand record comes to mind. Emily O Brian rode the hell out of a Raleigh Pro at the Furnace Creek. You might be able to find somthing in TI but you would have to really keep an eye out. I missed a Matt Chester for 1500 last month.

Ohhh, How about a Jeff Lyon L'avecaise? That may be perfect for you!

L'avecaise

Fillet Brazed, Unfiled : $995
Fillet Brazed, Filed : $1300
Lugged : $1200

L'avecaise Fork : $250

mIKE

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Yes, Peter B. is essentially my hero. Both his riding and Emily's are inspirational to me, in what can be done fixed. i've got a long way to go before i can approach their strength and accomplishments.

thanks for the suggestions, i have much research to do.

Wilkinson4
07-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Ti Cycles Local Hero is another one that comes to mind on e-bay for something new. I would really consider the Jeff Lyon. 650b fixed? Got a great write up on Bicycle Quarterly as well. Tom on the forum has a couple and loves them. I do have a buddy that ordered a custom he had to return however.

But Lyon has been around and building for as long as Eisentraut I think.

mIKE

BillG
07-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Chris Igleheart made a great fixed rando-ish bike, stainless steel and a Ritchey Breakaway to boot. Whatever you buy, just make sure to outfit it with one of Emily's bags!

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 07:24 AM
yes Bill, her bags seem to fit the bill well, especially since i ride small frame sizes, similar to her. her bike is real proof that you dont need the latest frame technology, or a custom bike to go the distance fixed:

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/pbp-emilys-ralieighpro.jpg

forrestw
07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
I've been riding this for 3 years now, bult from TT Verus tubing - standard gauge 1" TT, 1 1/8 DT & ST.

It's been a great bike, built up for $350 in materials.

rice rocket
07-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Find your favorite road frame, your favorite rim, and use a White Industries ENO hub on it.

Win, win, win.

Fixed
07-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Find your favorite road frame, your favorite rim, and use a White Industries ENO hub on it.

Win, win, win.

I am with this ,your favorite road bike will handle the way you like as a fixed gear
If you use fenders you will. like it even better IMHO Cheers

oldpotatoe
07-26-2012, 08:34 AM
i'm getting into the idea of doing some longer fixed rides, light rando stuff really. my long term goal is to get a super rando series under my belt on the fixed gear bike, and although a lofty goal, eventually PBP.

i've been logging some nice miles on my old Windsor, but really - this bike isnt the greatest. it weighs as much as a tank, and it just isnt responsive the way my other steel bikes are, it feels overly muted, dead really. I also have a generic alu frame fixed frame that is lighter and nicer overall, but still not quite there.

i want a fixed frame, with road geometry that's a little lighter, and a little more lively. i tip the scales at 135# at the moment, and my idea of randonneuring would be super minimalist, large saddle bag, or bar bag, and that's it. i want a bike i can ride all the time, mixing it up with the roadies on the weekends, and punishingly long solo training rides. having rack and fender braze ons would be a plus, but not a deal breaker. to be honest, my windsor it working for what i want it to do, i just want something a little livelier. i'm also in no hurry, this is a long term goal, and frankly the fixed bikes i have are working OK.

what are some frames you can think of that fit this bill? what would be a good tubeset to consider ? for a steel fixed frame, i am setting a firm budget at $1000, frame only. this is something i want to really be able to beat up, and not be devastated if i bang up pretty good.

ideas??

the windsor that will be displaced:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RuylfRT4HQE/UAdu0TJIoWI/AAAAAAAAAh8/BXThuScKBYI/s640/IMG_0062.JPG

Question, not an argument sought. I rode a Moots fixie for a while and altho i really liked the simplicity, I found it really limited where I could ride around the republic here. So..my question is why rando with a fixie? Why not at least a single speed FW or like i did, have the Moots retro fitted for a rear der, added a $20 RD, freewheel and friction shifters...still pretty simple but got gears...

??

roydyates
07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm really interested in the answers you get. My own experience is that you have some choices to make:

1. Are you going to run full fenders?

If so, you need a frame with proper clearances and eyelets. This is related to fat tire clearances since a bike with good fender clearance is also a bike that can probably run 32mm tires.

2. Are you really serious about long (say 400+ km) rides?

My experience is that the perfect bike for short rides (300km or less) is very different from a long ride bike. A good long ride bike has fenders, generator headlight and bags that let you store raingear and a change of kit. nice installations take a lot of effort and care with fender attachments, headlight wiring and racks.

When you get it set up right, you won't want to strip it down for a one day ride. However, when you get these set up just right, the resulting bike weighs at least 25 lbs and it isn't the right bike for a local group ride. A bare fenderless lightless lightweight bike is always more fun on a short one day ride.

My advice is to get a better bike for the short rides you're doing now. That is, the best riding frame you can find that let's you run fixed. This will be a nice bike for local rides. Something like an old steel serotta with horiz dropouts and room for 28mm tires. While you're doing a bunch of 200/300km brevets, you can plan your perfect long distance bike.

goonster
07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
my idea of randonneuring would be super minimalist, large saddle bag, or bar bag, and that's it.
Your ideas about what you want on the bike may evolve as you ride longer brevets in varying conditions.

Short of ordering a custom frame (like a L'Avecaise), I'd look for an older steel frame with generous clearance. That way you have the option of going to bigger tires and fenders, even if that is not your standard setup now.

phcollard
07-26-2012, 08:42 AM

L'avecaise

mIKE

I think these prices are outdated. His website does not get many updates!

GuyGadois
07-26-2012, 08:44 AM
I saw this bike company in the new bike builder section at NAHBS http://www.speedhoundbikes.com/ . I really dig the concept. The bike can go from touring bike to race bike to SS by changing the dropouts. Even the dropouts are reversible which give them different sizes for different wheel styles. Interesting idea.

The patent pending SDS lets you build your ONLY ONE with almost any drivetrain:
Belt or chain drive
Multi-speed hub
Single speed
Fixed-gear
Road derailleur
Mountain derailleur
The SDS consists of receivers that are permanently attached to the frame. Replaceable dropouts are then fastened to the receiver using standard 10mm chainring hardware.

The beauty of the SDS is that it allows you to change out the dropouts, giving you horizontal track-style or the vertical derailleur option.* It also allows the spacing between the dropouts to be adjusted.

Track Style Dropout
Our unique track-style dropouts mount to the frame in four ways, giving you a choice of 120, 125, 130, and 135 mm hub spacing.

Vertical dropout
Our vertical dropouts allow you convert between road (130 mm) and MTB (135 mm) derailleur drivetrains.

Belt drive or chain
A split in the drive side dropout receiver allows a belt (or unbroken chain) to fit into the rear triangle.

goonster
07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I think these prices are outdated.
I'm pretty sure they are not. It's a screaming deal, and Jeff is an underrated builder.

roydyates
07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Question, not an argument sought. I rode a Moots fixie for a while and altho i really liked the simplicity, I found it really limited where I could ride around the republic here. So..my question is why rando with a fixie? Why not at least a single speed FW or like i did, have the Moots retro fitted for a rear der, added a $20 RD, freewheel and friction shifters...still pretty simple but got gears...

??

This is a good question. My experience is that up to 300 km, riding fixed makes a ride more challenging and more fun. As a result my original goal this year was to ride a super randonneur series on fixed. Although work and family scheduling stopped me, I did get far enough along to make me question my plan. Specifically, I did a couple of 200k rides and also a hilly 300k NJ brevet and thought riding fixed was great. However, on. 360k fleche ride, I was on a long gradual descent around 3am and I kept thinking I would be really enjoying this if I were coasting. Probably I'll do a fixed SR series some day, but I'm les enthusiastic than I was 6 months ago.

Fixed
07-26-2012, 09:08 AM
A long long ride on a fixed gear can be a zen experience or one of torture .
IMHO. Cheers :)

phcollard
07-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they are not. It's a screaming deal, and Jeff is an underrated builder.

Well last time I heard from him he said they were.

goonster
07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
If riding brevets fixed scratches your particular itch, there is no substitute for that.

Funny thing is, my experience is exactly the opposite of Roy's. I think the shorter NJR routes (orig. 200 with Adamic & Bellis, Princeton 300) are not very fixed-gear friendly, but the 400 route (Hightstown-Salem) is uniquely suited for a fixie, and almost unbearably boring otherwise. Same thing for the fleche: I've only ever ridden them fixed (on a flat course), and never wanted to coast.

goonster
07-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Well last time I heard from him he said they were.
In that case, I stand corrected.

phcollard
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
In that case, I stand corrected.

I did not mean to offend :) Just a pity that the website does not show the current prices. And I agree with you: the Avecaise looks like a superb bike that's very well built!

soupless
07-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Does it need to be fixed gear specific, or would you consider a VO Rando/Soma ES and then using a fixed rear wheel?

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
lots of good information folks, i appreciate it.

to answer OP's question of WHY, i just like riding fixed, the challenge of it, and the experience. it really has little too do with bike simplicity. if i were going to add gears, it would be 11-speed campagnolo, all or nothing. it's about setting a challenge, training for and pushing through. i have no idea what i'm getting into, or if i will accomplish these goals within 5 years or 30, but it's something that calls to me, and i'm going to make a run at it.

i do want a fixed specific frame, 120 spaced in the rear, horizontal drop-outs. i have plenty of road bikes, i dont want to mess with eno type rear wheels and that avenue.

lots to think about, but plenty of time to do so...

maxdog
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I have no experience with a fixed gear as an adult. I can imagine the advantages of simplicity in maintenance and repair, but the draw backs in versatility seem much greater. I would think a single speed would at least allow coasting, with only the addition of a brake and ratcheting hub. I live in a, and enjoy riding, hilly areas. I rode with a friend who brought his fixie last time he came. He could handle the hills, although I didn't take him on any of the killer grades, but was slower going down and on the flats. I've done close to 400k one day rides on a regular geared rode bike and am considering some brevets and would love to hear reasons why a fixie, which only seems ideal for flat to slightly rolling terrain with big gearing, is advantageous.

cp43
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
When I read the first post I though of Rock Lobster. Don't know why, but they seem to be cool bikes, and you could get it exactly how you wanted. A little out of the price range though. (I have no experience with Rock Lobster, other then checking out the site, and reading the blog.)

I do have an IRO Mark V, which is set up as a road fixed/single flip flop. I really like it, and I think I spent less on the whole build than you're thinking for the frame. Their website is down right now, but they might be worth a look: IRO (http://www.irocycle.com/)

Chris

Fixed
07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Soulcraft check out the one on the gallery across the hall
Cheers

redir
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
My best riding steel frame is Columbus SLX. I'm not sure if it's the geometry, materials or both but it's an '83 Guerciotti and it rides like you are on clouds with tubulars of course.

I'd never fix it as I'd not consider a fixed bike to be a do it all bike but with the horizontal drop outs it would be easy.

You just need an old bike frame with horizontal drop outs. I think thats what would get you a great road fixed bike in your budget with plenty to spare for wheels and bags etc...

fiamme red
07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Another option is Ebisu:

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/aboutframes_e.html

"fixed gear/single speed frame & fork: $1700"

My advice would be to start doing brevets on the bike you have. As goonster said, your idea of an ideal brevet bike will most likely change, once you get into longer distances.

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
My advice would be to start doing brevets on the bike you have.

indeed, that is the plan.

smead
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Angry - you need to PM Peter B. He has one too many fixies right now, and last I heard, he was looking to sell a very sweet Teesdale steel fixie. Nice light responsive frame, solid wheelset and group, etc.., and I think he got a screaming deal on it and would probably give you the same. The big question is whehter or not you are his size. I believe his teesdale is a 53cm ...

Yes, Peter B. is essentially my hero. Both his riding and Emily's are inspirational to me, in what can be done fixed. i've got a long way to go before i can approach their strength and accomplishments.

thanks for the suggestions, i have much research to do.

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Angry - you need to PM Peter B. He has one too many fixies right now, and last I heard, he was looking to sell a very sweet Teesdale steel fixie. Nice light responsive frame, solid wheelset and group, etc.., and I think he got a screaming deal on it and would probably give you the same. The big question is whehter or not you are his size. I believe his teesdale is a 53cm ...

argh! part of my problem, is that i'm so short! i'm fairly certain Peter's bikes would be too large for this guy...

fatallightning
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
all city space horse? cheap, semi horizotal drop outs though.

Chance
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
to answer OP's question of WHY, i just like riding fixed, the challenge of it, and the experience. it really has little too do with bike simplicity. if i were going to add gears, it would be 11-speed campagnolo, all or nothing. it's about setting a challenge, training for and pushing through. i have no idea what i'm getting into, or if i will accomplish these goals within 5 years or 30, but it's something that calls to me, and i'm going to make a run at it.

Impressive. Previously never thought of “fixed gear” and “do it all” applied to same bike, but just goes to show some of you guys set really tough goals. Good luck and hope you revisit in the future as you make progress.

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Previously never thought of “fixed gear” and “do it all” applied to same bike,

that is interesting actually. there is a gentleman who's name escapes me, who is quite a fixed gear success story. he rode mt. ventoux something like 5 times from every direction a few days before the last edition of paris-brest-paris. his response to "why" was, because if i can do this on a fixed gear bike, what cant be done?

it's a simple answer, but it says a lot IMO. i have no delusions that there are limitations of what i will be able to do fixed, particularly with regard to steep climbs, but i have found, once you get in a rhythm with the drivetrain, and have the appropriate gear turning, it's surprising what can be done fixed.

as my good buddy John would say: "you only use one gear at a time anyway".

fiamme red
07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
that is interesting actually. there is a gentleman who's name escapes me, who is quite a fixed gear success story. he rode mt. ventoux something like 5 times from every direction a few days before the last edition of paris-brest-paris.Paul Rozelle.

http://www.thebicyclestory.com/2011/11/paul-rozelles-24-hour-pre-pbp-fixed-gear-mont-ventoux-rides/

Chance
07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
as my good buddy John would say: "you only use one gear at a time anyway".

Personally would like to get a "do it all" bike sometime in the near future and make it my only serious one, getting rid of others except a beater to ride around town. However, gearing would have to be a part of it. Can't see myself going up a 15 percent grade with the same gear that would meet my desire to go down fast a 5 percent gradual slope.

Fixed
07-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I envy you ,Good luck with your new endeavor a.s.
Cheers :)

roydyates
07-26-2012, 12:42 PM
If riding brevets fixed scratches your particular itch, there is no substitute for that.

Funny thing is, my experience is exactly the opposite of Roy's. I think the shorter NJR routes (orig. 200 with Adamic & Bellis, Princeton 300) are not very fixed-gear friendly, but the 400 route (Hightstown-Salem) is uniquely suited for a fixie, and almost unbearably boring otherwise. Same thing for the fleche: I've only ever ridden them fixed (on a flat course), and never wanted to coast.

I did like the fixed-gear-unfriendly torture test of the NJR 300k. I am pretty sure I will also like the pancake flat of the NJR 400 and 600. It's the in-between that got to me. Specifically, a long gentle descent where you might coast at 24 mph but, in a state of rando fatigue, is now too much spinning on fixed gear. I think it may have more to do with circumstances than with terrain. This was on a fleche where Mordecai remembers this segment as a highlight of the ride. Maybe I would have as well if I were as fit as him.

roydyates
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
i do want a fixed specific frame, 120 spaced in the rear, horizontal drop-outs. i have plenty of road bikes, i dont want to mess with eno type rear wheels and that avenue.

lots to think about, but plenty of time to do so...

A nice tight fender line with long horizontal dropouts is beyond my skills. Even if I did get it set up, changing your rear cog could mess it up.

I've wondered if an eno hub might be a way to get around this annoyance?

mtechnica
07-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I would use a nice road frame in conjunction with a white industries ENO rear hub. There simply aren't any / many good fixed (track dropouts) road frames, at least no non custom ones worth buying that I'm aware of.

palincss
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Peter B has the sweetest Potts fixegear bike he rode in PBP IIRC. But that is outside the budget. Maybe he will loan it to you:D I would look at an upgrade in vintage steel... There is a really nice Jim Redcay on e-bay right now that is just a tad too big I think.

Maybe something french, with Vitus steel tubing.?. Motobecane grand record comes to mind. Emily O Brian rode the hell out of a Raleigh Pro at the Furnace Creek. You might be able to find somthing in TI but you would have to really keep an eye out. I missed a Matt Chester for 1500 last month.

L'avecaise

mIKE

There's a review of the Lyon L'avecaise for 650B Hetres in the Summer 2012 Bicycle Quarterly. They loved it.

palincss
07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
L'avecaise

BQ listed $1950 for the frame and fork on the model they tested.

mtechnica
07-26-2012, 01:15 PM
A nice tight fender line with long horizontal dropouts is beyond my skills. Even if I did get it set up, changing your rear cog could mess it up.

I've wondered if an eno hub might be a way to get around this annoyance?

Using that hub solves most problems as you can convert any 126-130mm spaced road frame instantly into a fixed gear. Any bike you own is minutes away from conversion. It makes so much more sense to me than building a fixed specific road frame because it leaves you the option of gears and makes no compromises in handling or clearance...

http://whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

Nooch
07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
all city space horse? cheap, semi horizotal drop outs though.

space horse looks pretty nice, actually!

onsight512
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Paul Rozelle.

http://www.thebicyclestory.com/2011/11/paul-rozelles-24-hour-pre-pbp-fixed-gear-mont-ventoux-rides/

Wow. That's quite a feat.

KidWok
07-26-2012, 03:03 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/IMG_4067.jpg

Co-Motion is now building their bikes with swappable dropouts. Here's my Nor'Wester which is built with Co-Motion specific 853, uses 57mm reach brakes, and has rack/fender mounts. They do make a horizontal dropout for this bike in case you want to run a fixed gear.

Tai

roydyates
07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c151/TaiLee77/IMG_4067.jpg

Co-Motion is now building their bikes with swappable dropouts. Here's my Nor'Wester which is built with Co-Motion specific 853, uses 57mm reach brakes, and has rack/fender mounts. They do make a horizontal dropout for this bike in case you want to run a fixed gear.

Tai

Do you mean some sort of swap a frame owner (as opposed to a builder) can make? If so, I'm curious to see a pic.

palincss
07-26-2012, 04:35 PM
On the other hand, if it's a flexible frame you're after, Co-Motion might not be the best place to look.

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
hmmm, looking into options - how does anyone feel about Columbus Spirit tubing??

Fixed
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
hmmm, looking into options - how does anyone feel about Columbus Spirit tubing??

I hear it is very good from a friend

Cheers
Duende is a Marcelo front triangle mated to a Palosanto rear triangle, resulting in a very comfortable bike for the long haul. Tubing is "Spirit" cromoly from Columbus. Fork is 1 1/8" Edge carbon. Weight is 3.9 lbs for 54cm. ~ Pegoretti Duende frame & fork: $3350

KidWok
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Do you mean some sort of swap a frame owner (as opposed to a builder) can make? If so, I'm curious to see a pic.

Yes...I don't have a picture of mine close up, but the slideshow on the Espresso (standard road model) shows it up close on the second image. Another slide further down shows the horizontal dropouts.
http://www.co-motion.com/index.php/singles/espresso

Tai

bluesea
07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Over your budget, but think it would suit your purposes. This was a dream build for me. Wish I still had it.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2673/dsc00160qo.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6496/dsc00159ad.jpg

Fixed
07-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Over your budget, but think it would suit your purposes. This was a dream build for me. Wish I still had it.

That is as good as a bike can get
IMHO
Cheers extremely beautiful

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 07:05 PM

yowsa! that would be a dream bike for me too. to date, my tom kellogg designed merlin is the best bike i've ever rideen.

what size what that??

roydyates
07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes...I don't have a picture of mine close up, but the slideshow on the Espresso (standard road model) shows it up close on the second image. Another slide further down shows the horizontal dropouts.
http://www.co-motion.com/index.php/singles/espresso

Tai

Interesting and new to me.
thanks!

rustychisel
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
That Spectrum is the mutt's nuts!!!!

But AS, I think you're overthinking it, or coming from the wrong direction.

As a long term rider you know your measurements and your contact points, and can transfer them from one bike to another. Knowing them, you know what you want, now go and find it.

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/balance3.jpg

I ride a 1964 steel race bike, built for fixed, and restored fixed. It's Reynolds 531 DB, it flexes, it's smooth, all day rides no problem. You don't need custom, that's a vanity. I would err toward an old steel race bike of some flavour or other with semi horizontal dropouts and the correctly chosen equipment and accoutrement. You know what works for you. Go find it. Get an old frame, have it resprayed.

Before and after - it's all about the fit.

bluesea
07-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks, hope it gives inspiration. The candy-apple red was sweet, and the lugs filed down just right. T & J are artists. Forgot to mention wheels by Eric--his 1st set sent to Hawaii I believe.

Fwiw I hope to build a 90's steel sometime next year.

EricEstlund
07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
I'll reiterate a bit of what I said on VSalon over here- the tube's set (while important) is fairly low on the list of priorities when designing a bike. Tube sets are mostly marketing short hand (just as an example, tubes of the same alloy but different dimensions may end up in different sets).

Consider what it is you are interested in re: bike "feel" and "behavior", as well as the features that make sense for your needs. Consider (realistically) how and where you ride a bike, and what you prioritize within that riding.

One can make a terrible bike out of top shelf material, or a pretty great bike out of mediocre tubes. If you are looking to have something built, go with a builder you respond to who understands and can address your needs. Let them help you by selecting the tubes that work with their design and your needs.

If you are buying a stock bike you have no choices in tube set for given models anyway- go test ride a bunch and see what you like. Don't worry about the material decal (if there even is one).

Happy hunting!

saab2000
07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
That Co-Motion really speaks to me. It looks like it does a lot...

Couplers
Space for fat tires and fenders. At the same time.
Steel fork
Fairly reasonable price

I like what I see.

AngryScientist
07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
thanks for weighing in, here and there Eric. your bikes and experience are second to none, while not in the cards at the moment, a winter is on my long term list. i appreciate the real world advice.

happy hunting it will be:)

Peter B
07-26-2012, 09:49 PM
AS,

It's been said several times and I'll reiterate the point. Focus on what you want from the bike and on choosing a builder. Relay your contact points and your intent and let them do the rest. In the meantime you can fret and seek advice on colours.

Have fun with the process and best of luck with your goals!

bambam
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
AS,
You seem to ride fixed a lot and seems like you've did brevets before. In the brevets I've done I've learned comfort is the most important thing. And you know its more the engine not the machine.

I have a cannondale with an eno hub. It's very light but with the hub and the chain length you can catch the tire on the brake bridge. I don't ride this as much as my other fixed bikes but thats probably because the gear is to low and the driveside crank arm is 1-2mm from the chainstay. The chainstay protector even has a mark or two from the crank.

I have a Millwaukee that fairly heavy but very comfortable that I did RAIN (160 miles, Ride Across INdiana) on, also a 2 day 120 mile each way rolly trip and quite a few centuries on. Drawback is the one bottle cage.

Like others have said your ideal bike may change. It takes time on the long distance rides to figure out what exactly works for you. I would ride what you got and go from there. As far as suggestions, I know one guy on a 2 man fixed Ramm team and they both rode Salsa Casseroles. On PBP have seen Emily on her Raliegh, Tim on his Millwaukee, some guy on a 84 trek. Guys on Bob Jacksons,etc. Also, Hoss has a real nice Serotta Ti fixed for sale but I think it might be too big for you(good guy to deal with).

Its the engine not the machine.

fil
07-27-2012, 01:00 PM
i have a small coupled casseroll (precanti) that ive been thinking of getting rid of 51 or 52 tt.

pavel
07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I just built a fixed gear bike for the same reason, AS.

Soma Rush frame with a road fork. Dont mind the weird angle.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LRzvM3wOAAg/UBLZEkYQkOI/AAAAAAAACEo/MoW-nF1WIUA/s640/IMG_20120727_110748.jpg

AngryScientist
07-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I just built a fixed gear bike for the same reason, AS.

Soma Rush frame with a road fork. Dont mind the weird angle.

that's quite nice. how does it ride?? bummer about the water bottle braze ons though, or lack thereof.

boxerboxer
07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
that's quite nice. how does it ride?? bummer about the water bottle braze ons though, or lack thereof.

If that's what bums you out, this (http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/van-nes-single-speed) might cheer you up.

http://www.somafab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/soma_frame_vanness_2009.jpg

Marburg
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I've had roughly the same idea in mind, though for shorter distances. Fixed gear "road" or "sport road" type geometries, as opposed to "track/urban." I'm fixated on a Hampsten or Rex, but recognize that off-the-peg is probably a better idea.

My short list: Cassaroll, Tokyo Fixed Gear Dream Ride, that Soma. Wish Traitor made more bikes with the Life tubing -- something like a Luggernaut. Black Mountain Cycles cross.

Not as many as I would like.

forrestw
07-27-2012, 04:52 PM
A couple of weeks ago I did my first 40+ mile fixed-gear ride in a long time, I've put in as much as 80 miles in the past and just a couple of weeks prior to that I'd ridden 140 on my Legend so I'd figured it wouldn't be that big a deal.

I found at the 2 hour mark not being able to sit back and coast became a problem. I was feeling it more in the upper body than my legs.

If I were considering really extending distances on a fixed I'd be slapping a single speed freewheel on the opposite side of my rear hub. I've only ever once before used a freewheel on the SS bike and that was due to injury but if you're committing to long miles I think a bail-out option is a good thing.

Wilkinson4
07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
+1 on that. Although I have never flopped my hub, it sure is nice to know if you bonk and want to go to single speed mode it is an option!

mIKE

vav
07-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Shrink it 5 cm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Masi-Speciale-CX-SS-Cross-Bike-Single-Speed-57-cm-/200798912983?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2ec08c41d7#ht_1276wt_1190

tuscanyswe
07-27-2012, 09:22 PM
You should search for sale ads till something like this come up. Road geo and room for 28+

Alltho imo a bike with no gears can never be a do it all. Maybe im just weak tho :-/

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6064/6156162384_c5ee47ebcf_b.jpg

pavel
07-28-2012, 01:41 AM
dang, those challenges looks nice on that. hmmm.

it rides really well - as you would expect from a nice steel frame with a high quality carbon fork. yeah, bummer indeed about lack of bottle cage bosses. Might be something I do in the future.

Ti Designs
07-28-2012, 05:44 AM
There's something to be said for a bike you just don't care about - the ride it like you stole it theory. My all purpose bike is a Surley Steamroller, a frame and fork that costs less than most of the forks pictured in this thread. I seem to rust them to failure every 4 years. In that time there's nowhere I can't ride, 'cause I just don't care. When it flooded a few years ago, I drafted a boat. Two winters ago when we got record snow, I put studded tires on and rode the whole winter. I've done roads, trails, narrow paths, pipes, swamps, frozen ponds...

oldpotatoe
07-28-2012, 08:11 AM
I've had roughly the same idea in mind, though for shorter distances. Fixed gear "road" or "sport road" type geometries, as opposed to "track/urban." I'm fixated on a Hampsten or Rex, but recognize that off-the-peg is probably a better idea.

My short list: Cassaroll, Tokyo Fixed Gear Dream Ride, that Soma. Wish Traitor made more bikes with the Life tubing -- something like a Luggernaut. Black Mountain Cycles cross.

Not as many as I would like.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/street-dog

Not as 'sexy', or expensive. Road geometry, ability to take fenders, rear brake, 2 bottle bosses.

AngryScientist
07-28-2012, 08:24 AM
http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/street-dog

Not as 'sexy', or expensive. Road geometry, ability to take fenders, rear brake, 2 bottle bosses.

wow, i forgot about gunnar. OP, do you happen to know how much that frameset costs? thanks.

fil
07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
i think most of the stock gunnars start around 1200 for frame/fork

reptarlazer
07-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Have you checked out Majaco? He's really talented and his pricing is nearly unbeatable.
http://www.majacobicycles.com/

rodcad
07-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I had a custom Mercian Vincitore made for me. Geo was based on a Rivendell Atlantis, and I had them tweak it appropriately for fixed/free use. Riding 32C Paselas, Phil flip flop.......Love, love, love it.

sbrown0554
07-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I regularly ride my Gunnar Street Dog on 40+ mile rides around here in Thousand Oaks with no ill effects. Using a 46 x 18 gearing you can get up most hills. Gunnar makes great, comfortable rides.

Marburg
07-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I forgot the Gunnar as well. Add the Ben Cycles Milwaukee frames (a little confusing which are available SS), and the Riv SimpleOne, if they're still making it.

I have to admit I mentally discounted the Surly as well as most of the heres-a-color-matched-fixie-for-ya-you-hipster (i.e. Wabi, State, most of the banner ads on Fixed Gear Gallery) but of course they bear mentioning.

beeatnik
07-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Have you checked out Majaco? He's really talented and his pricing is nearly unbeatable.
http://www.majacobicycles.com/

Saw a pair last night (and there was a third sighting). Beautiful frames that get ridden, a lot.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy209/Jeo_dude_69/P7280004_2.jpg