PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: Campy Ergo cable routing

Robbos
07-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm going to re-do the cables and housing with my new bars (that don't have cable channels :mad:) and I toyed with the idea of running the derailleur housing in the front- there's the provision with the Ergo 2's bodies but it adds a decent kink to the cable housing. But the cables exiting on the same side looks much cleaner...
Thoughts?

ultraman6970
07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
THat the bar doesnt have cable channels doesnt mean anything. Just put them as usual one in the back the other on the front and use electrical tape like in 4 spots and do like 3 rounds with it around the housing so it gets tights, put the handlebar ribbon over it and ready to go.

By the way dont understand what you want to do, I dont know english so dont worry :)

Robbos
07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
With Ergos, I can either run the brake cable in front and the derailleur housing in back. I can also run the derailleur housing on the front, but the cable groove for this routing tends to put a decent kink in the housing. Just wondering if anyone noticed any impact on cable friction/functionality.

ultraman6970
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Run the derailleur cables in the back, if you put them in the front you might have issues with friction. I dont advice you put them in the front.

weaponsgrade
07-25-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm currently running all cables at the front of the bar. They do have to make a tighter bend being on the front, but I haven't had any shifting problems. I like to be able to hold the hoods/outside of the bar without feeling the bump of the cables.

bikinchris
07-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Running the der cables in front will be okay for a while, but they will start to shift poorly sooner.

fogrider
07-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Running the der cables in front will be okay for a while, but they will start to shift poorly sooner.

the route for the shifting to go across to the front is very smooth and I just rebuilt my serotta ti legend that way and I really like feel of the bars.

bobswire
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Actually it's pretty common for the pros to run the cables in front and I've been doing it on mine as well for a few years with no problems as all.

8 Speed Chorus.

http://i50.tinypic.com/11qkzzp.jpg

These two builds use 10 Speed Centaur.

http://i45.tinypic.com/maijvs.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/345lkyp.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-26-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm going to re-do the cables and housing with my new bars (that don't have cable channels :mad:) and I toyed with the idea of running the derailleur housing in the front- there's the provision with the Ergo 2's bodies but it adds a decent kink to the cable housing. But the cables exiting on the same side looks much cleaner...
Thoughts?

If the frame has head tube cable stops, I route in front, particularly with shorter stems. For 2009+ ERGO, it seems to be happier routed behind the handlebars. Do it for function and feel for your hands, not 'looks'.

Robbos
07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback. First off, BOBSWIRE, holy crappola do you have some nice rides! A ti Merline and a Schwinn made of what, 853? Lovely.
As always, Oldpotatoe hits it on the head. Should have mentioned that my Cervelo Prodigy has headtube cable mounts, which I really dislike. The front cable routing interfears less with the front brake cable. At some point I'll ask Marinoni to braze some cable stops further down when I get the frame repainted.

bobswire
07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback. First off, BOBSWIRE, holy crappola do you have some nice rides! A ti Merline and a Schwinn made of what, 853? Lovely.
As always, Oldpotatoe hits it on the head. Should have mentioned that my Cervelo Prodigy has headtube cable mounts, which I really dislike. The front cable routing interfears less with the front brake cable. At some point I'll ask Marinoni to braze some cable stops further down when I get the frame repainted.

Leave well enough alone on your Prodigy. My Prodigy runs the same cable set up with no problems.

On second look my shift cable is ran from the rear on the Prodigy. Never mind.

http://i45.tinypic.com/11946ra.jpg

bambam
07-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I have them on front and back.
Whwn I have a cable in front and in back I keep the cables along the halfway point of the bars untill they exit the tape.
With the tape wrapped I feel as if I get a wing handlebar effect which spreads out the hand pressure and also give me a better grip. This is more noticed on the non-grooved handlebars.

hiljentaa
07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Had LBS cable my road bike about six months ago and forgot to tell them that I prefer front and back as opposed to both in front.

They routed both in front.

I hated it so much, but did not bother to change it until the batrape was fully blown out.

Both in front gives you an annoying bump just behind the hood. Sucks with thin tape.

redir
07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Whwn I have a cable in front and in back I keep the cables along the halfway point of the bars untill they exit the tape.
With the tape wrapped I feel as if I get a wing handlebar effect which spreads out the hand pressure and also give me a better grip. This is more noticed on the non-grooved handlebars.

Yup that's what I do too. I like the way the kink fits right into the finger joints.

GRAVELBIKE
07-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Both of my bikes have Ritchey Curve bars, and I route the derailleur housing/cables behind the bars. No grooves, but it doesn't seem to matter much. I run short stems, and haven't had any problems with routing, etc.

oliver1850
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM

I like the shape you get with them routed on back as well. I have one bike that someone else built with the cables running too high on the back of the bar. That one is uncomfortable to ride. If you put them on the back make sure they're low enough so your hand pressure is still mostly on the bars, not the cable housing.

hiljentaa
07-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Had LBS cable my road bike about six months ago and forgot to tell them that I prefer front and back as opposed to both in front.

They routed both in front.

I hated it so much, but did not bother to change it until the batrape was fully blown out.

Both in front gives you an annoying bump just behind the hood. Sucks with thin tape.

Bob Loblaw
07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
A lot depends on head tube length, handlebar bend, cable housing stiffness. Where you route it might not matter, it might matter a lot. You might like it, you might hate it.

Try it. Worst case scenario, redoing it is not the end of the world.

BL

Ralph
07-27-2012, 09:11 AM
True.....and if I can't decide which way works best, I always start with the way that uses the longest cable and housing. Then redo and shorten.

Both my bikes have latest style Ergo levers, and on my bike with head tube stops, I usually route cable in front of bars and cross head tube in front the first time, ride it about 6 months, then redo it without crossing. On my bike with down tube stops, crossing won't work at all. And routing cable behind bars works well. It all just depends.....

oldpotatoe
07-27-2012, 10:56 AM
BUT, teeny point but a real pet peeve of mine(among many, it seems), if you route behind the Hbar, make sure der housing is BEHIND all brake housing, and if in front, make sure Der housing IN FRONT of brake housing, not intermixed, intersperced or otherwise spagetti-ed up among the brake housing