PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis and riding

LegendRider
07-24-2012, 07:32 AM
My daughter was recently diagnosed with bronchitis and now I'm experiencing similar symptoms - mostly a persistent cough, but also a minor headache and fatigue.

I plan to visit my doctor and, of course, get his advice, but in the meantime I'm curious to know if doing some light riding is OK. I've been stuck indoors for 48 hours and I feel like the walls are closing in on me!

Bob Loblaw
07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Bronchitis is not that easy to catch, usually, IME. It's usually triggered by something apart from (or in conjunction with) plain old germ exposure...allergies, fatigue, a virus. If it all seems to be in your head and throat, it may just be the 'trigger' cold your daughter still has and a few easy miles won't slow your recovery down too much.

That said, if you do have bronchitis it can turn into pneumonia in the blink of an eye, and a few days off the bike is a small sacrifice. If your chest burns or hurts when you cough, stay off the bike.

Normally a GP won't prescribe an antibiotic unless the symptoms have been present and persistent for at least a week.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I am a figment of your imagination that exists only as words on your screen. Following my advice is a huge mistake and could end in your painful, lingering death.

BL

FlashUNC
07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Bronchitis is not that easy to catch, usually, IME. It's usually triggered by something apart from (or in conjunction with) plain old germ exposure...allergies, fatigue, a virus. If it all seems to be in your head and throat, it may just be the 'trigger' cold your daughter still has and a few easy miles won't slow your recovery down too much.

That said, if you do have bronchitis it can turn into pneumonia in the blink of an eye, and a few days off the bike is a small sacrifice. If your chest burns or hurts when you cough, stay off the bike.

Normally a GP won't prescribe an antibiotic unless the symptoms have been present and persistent for at least a week.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I am a figment of your imagination that exists only as words on your screen. Following my advice is a huge mistake and could end in your painful, lingering death.

BL

+1. As someone who was dumb enough to move from brochitis to a pretty nasty pnuemonia by not nipping it in the bud when I was a teenager, I'd play it safe if you do think it is bronchitis and take it easy until a doc can check you out.

zap
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
neck down :no:

LegendRider
07-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the advice. I start amoxicillin today...

bikerboy337
07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
i have continual bouts with bronchitis and its always best to take a few days off, let the antibiotics do their thing, and rest before getting back ont eh bike... it will either linger if you push yourself or turn into something worse...

but, i'm no doctor either, just a guy you gets acute bronchitis about once a year...

MattTuck
07-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice. I start amoxicillin today...

Legend,

The more research they do on the good bacteria in our bodies, the more it looks like antibiotics can really wreak havoc on your system. I'm not suggesting you avoid the amoxicllin, in fact it is really important to finish the whole course of pills.

I am suggesting you eat a lot of yogurt (the type with live cultures that are good for you) and try to repopulate your friendly bacteria, both during and after you finish the medicine. Same goes for your daugter if she is taking antibiotics.

Hope you feel better and are back on the bike soon.

katematt
07-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Last week I was diagnosed with Asthmatic Bronchitis, which per my Dr. was viral. Diagnosed Wed. and he prescribed Albuterol in an inhaler to ease the breathing. Careful, banned substance.

I asked when I could start back up and he said not for a few days, unless I feel up to it. He said no riding, but when I mentioned that I can go easy, eg. HR less than 120, he said that was fine. So I went for an easy 20 on Saturday and played 2 hours of tennis on Sunday. Monday was a little raw, but today I did hill repeats so I appear back in action, albeit with a little more active air hanky that I would like.

Mine was viral, and if your Dr. gave you amoxicilan that clearly yours is an infection, so I would take that into consideration. I would head the warnings of pneumonia described above but in my case it appears an easy spin did me some good. I am 44 and generally healthy.

Hope that helps. T

wasfast
07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
I got a bad cold last November which went into my chest. That's pretty normal for me since I was child. I laid off riding hard for while but in early Dec did several hammerfests. By the time I went to the doc on Dec 15th, I had full blown pneumonia. 1st-7 day round of antibiotics and not a lot better. 2nd-7 day round. Now I have bronchitis. This was in mid January.

Doc gives me an albuterol inhaler. By mid Feb, I was starting to be able to breathe but have had multiple breathing issues since.

For a while, it seemed the inhaler helped when riding hard but seems counteracted by lower power despite breathing better. I've since stopped using it altogether.

All that to say that you're far better off getting your body on track instead of pushing it. I'm still sucking air a full HR zone lower than previously.

justinrchan
07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I agree with alot of the posters - rest and take it easy.

thwart
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
From someone 'in the business', most bronchitis is currently thought to be caused by a viral infection, therefore not helped by any antibiotic. Albuterol can be helpful for some. Codeine as a cough suppressant can be helpful, especially at night.

Lots of fluids, rest, neti pot nasal irrigation... all can be helpful.

Some folks, especially those with a personal or family history of asthma, can be susceptible to recurring episodes.

Docs sometimes prescribe antibiotics because they think there might be a bacterial sinus infection going on at the same time, or for some... just because it leads to an easier (faster) visit. :eek: And a 'happier' patient, since the person wanted antibiotics.

Seramount
07-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I've had severe asthma for most of my life and have probably had bronchitis more times than everyone on the board combined...

the progression of symptoms is always the same routine...some violent sneezing episodes followed by a lingering sinus infection that then develops into bronchitis. I've tried to ride it out using OTC meds, neti pot, herbal remedies, etc etc etc...totally ineffective. and pushing things on the exercise front can really make my condition deteriorate dramatically.

so, viral or not, until I go thru a course of strong antibiotics, I never improve. I can eat Z-packs like candy and nothing happens. the most effective Rx so far has been Ketek. I'm sure the stuff is terrible for you, but it at least gets me back to 'normal'...

I've been using Advair for the asthma for the last several years and the frequency of bronchitis has dropped dramatically.

LegendRider
07-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Interesting discussion. Thwart's comment that most bronchitis is likely viral supports my suspicion. Nevertheless, I'll complete my antibiotics program.

In the meantime, my chest is worsening. I feel like I have a lead apron on it - like those used for dental x-rays. My cough is deep in my chest.

I'm afraid this is destroying some hard-earned fitness...

thwart
07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Interesting discussion. Thwart's comment that most bronchitis is likely viral supports my suspicion. Nevertheless, I'll complete my antibiotics program.

In the meantime, my chest is worsening. I feel like I have a lead apron on it - like those used for dental x-rays. My cough is deep in my chest.

I'm afraid this is destroying some hard-earned fitness...

Hey, if you're feeling worse, please call your doc/provider. May need to see you again... for example, if you have 'walking pneumonia' instead of viral bronchitis, antibiotics can be helpful. But amoxicillin is not the drug of choice.