PDA

View Full Version : Axle diameter questions

d_douglas
07-23-2012, 10:46 PM
I was wondering if 10mm and 12mm axle rear hubs can still be used on a standard rear dropout ? Do they require a special QR? Are these considered 'bolt-on' hubs?

I am seeing what's out there for DT disc hubs for a
Potential upcoming project and have seen these axle sizes. What do they mean?

Thanks for your replies,

Darren

Kontact
07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
10mm is the rear hub standard for most quality bikes. 12mm is something new and requires a dropout built for it. Unless you have a bike built for 12mm you want 10.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
I was wondering if 10mm and 12mm axle rear hubs can still be used on a standard rear dropout ? Do they require a special QR? Are these considered 'bolt-on' hubs?

I am seeing what's out there for DT disc hubs for a
Potential upcoming project and have seen these axle sizes. What do they mean?

Thanks for your replies,

Darren

What you are seeing is the new generation of MTB hubs that are known as 'thru-axle'. Like motorcycles, the large axle(12mm, 15mm, etc) need a dropout made specifically for them, then have a large 'QR' type thing that secures it to the frame or MTB fork.

So match the hub to the frame and fork you may be getting. Ask the manufacturer.

On road hubs, still standard 10mm axle front and 9mm axle rear, whether QR type hubs or bolt on, track type hubs, still standard dropouts for frame and fork.

These also still exist on some MTB frames and suspension forks as well, even disc type.

guyintense
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1176991]

On road hubs, still standard 10mm axle front and 9mm axle rear, whether QR type hubs or bolt on, track type hubs, still standard dropouts for frame and fork.

QUOTE]

That's the other way around, 9mm front, 10 mm rear.