PDA

View Full Version : Cycling doo rags - Why?

estilley
07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
What's the deal with these doo rags on cyclists? Haven't seen anyone in the tour wear one.

Multiple times I'll be riding home from work in my khaki shorts on my fixed gear commuter and pass guys on $4000 carbon bikes wearing a doo rag and doing about 14mph.

jbrainin
07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Obviously, you're not balding yet.

rustychisel
07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
is your point about doo rags or the fact that you can ride faster than 14mph?

Anyway, lots of people wear them to try to keep sweat out of the eyes, and for baldies they're good for avoiding zebra stripe sunburn when combined with a helmet.

Although a stylish casque would achieve the same result.

estilley
07-23-2012, 10:00 PM
I suppose the 14 mph comment is just more of my jealousy of those with nice bikes.

Oh the joys of being young!

Louis
07-23-2012, 10:02 PM
I suppose the 14 mph comment is just more of my jealousy of those with nice bikes.

Oh the joys of being young!

I think lots of folks would rather be young and have a $200 bike than be old and have a $4000 bike.

rwsaunders
07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Bee sting allergy for this boy...I use a headsweat liner in the warmer months to leesen the odds of needing to reach for the Epipen.

bzbvh5
07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
What's the deal with these doo rags on cyclists? Haven't seen anyone in the tour wear one.

Multiple times I'll be riding home from work in my khaki shorts on my fixed gear commuter and pass guys on $4000 carbon bikes wearing a doo rag and doing about 14mph.

It's obvious you don't sweat enough to need one. If you did, you would know why people wear them.

forrestw
07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
On longer distances I wrap the balding noggin in a bandana.

putting sunscreen above eye level when sweating hard is bad news and I don't wanna sport the Darth Maul look.

bobswire
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
If it was good enough for the Pirate it's good enough for me. Yes I'm a baldy too like Pantini only I can't ride like him.

http://i49.tinypic.com/35jm0s6.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/atm8eu.jpg

sandyrs
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
A cycling cap always seemed more convenient to me for any of the above applications- plus, they have a visor. Can anyone explain the reasons for choosing the 'do rag over the cap? I'm not trying to sound snarky; I really am interested.

FlashUNC
07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
If its good enough for Jacky Durand...

Kirk007
07-23-2012, 10:41 PM
A cycling cap always seemed more convenient to me for any of the above applications- plus, they have a visor. Can anyone explain the reasons for choosing the 'do rag over the cap? I'm not trying to sound snarky; I really am interested.

most caps are cotton, at least the summer weight ones - don't dry well once saturated, tend to be heavier and don't breath as well hence hotter when worn under a helmet.

kramnnim
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Bee sting allergy for this boy...I use a headsweat liner in the warmer months to leesen the odds of needing to reach for the Epipen.

They can't sting through the fabric?

I'm dreading the day some stinging insect gets caught in a helmet vent...already had two end up inside my jersey this year.

rwsaunders
07-23-2012, 10:50 PM
They can't sting through the fabric?

I'm dreading the day some stinging insect gets caught in a helmet vent...already had two end up inside my jersey this year.

It's worked for me on many occasions over the years and it's cooler that a cycling cap in the really warm weather. One little bastage did manage to nail me right above my left knee two weekends ago, though.

jischr
07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
The cycling cap visor forces the helmet back on my head due to my prescription glasses. The visorless skull cap and head bands leave the helmet where I want it plus they do better with the sweat.

pdmtong
07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
most caps are cotton, at least the summer weight ones - don't dry well once saturated, tend to be heavier and don't breath as well hence hotter when worn under a helmet.

this!

krhea
07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
this!

This +1

rustychisel
07-23-2012, 11:52 PM
The cycling cap visor forces the helmet back on my head due to my prescription glasses. The visorless skull cap and head bands leave the helmet where I want it plus they do better with the sweat.

Ah, but they're canny little designs, even though they date to before helmet use was widespread (let alone current shell helmets).

Turn the cap around, you don't need a peak when in a conventional riding position on a road bike, and the peak protects the back of your neck from the sun, to some degree at least.

Louis
07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
The way I see it, whole-head stuff like doo-rags, caps and skull caps must impede circulation, so I stick to headbands, and when it's really nasty my Halo band.

Bruce K
07-24-2012, 04:48 AM
+ whatever on the skull cap / dew rag but I have a herniated disk in my neck.

Besides reasons previously stated, the extra bit I have to tilt my head back with a cap is downright painful and leaves an after effect for days.

BK

oldman
07-24-2012, 05:03 AM
Besides reasons previously stated, the extra bit I have to tilt my head back with a cap is downright painful and leaves an after effect for days.

BK

+ this and it's a bandana to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

godfrey1112000
07-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Obviously, you're not balding yet.

One sunburn will change your mind, I have been wearing UnderArmour Skull Caps for years,

biker72
07-24-2012, 06:07 AM
As others have posted a bike cap tends to get saturated and not breathe very well. My hair is very thin so some protection from the sun is needed. Looks like I'll be another guy out there with a doo rag riding 14-15 mph...:)

No $4000 bike however.

AngryScientist
07-24-2012, 06:14 AM
i've posted this before, but i swear by craft brand cycling caps. technical material, and very breathable. when it's sunny, i wear it backwards and the brim keeps sun off my neck, and sweat out of my eyes. when it's raining, brim forward keeps rain out of my face. great caps, very comfortable and durable.

IMO, of course.

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/images/paps/Craft+Performance+Bike+Cap_2012_red.jpg

Fixed
07-24-2012, 06:15 AM
this!

It adds wind resistance so you get a better workout ,14 fells like 35 :confused:
Cheers :)
I think they keep your head cooler .....kinda pirate cool
IMHO

GregL
07-24-2012, 06:20 AM
I find Headsweats Shorties to be a great solution for the problems of a bald head. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes and no funny tan lines on top. No fashion statement, just pure functionality.

-Greg

VTCaraco
07-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Family bought me a Walz moisture wicking with some embroidering on the side. LOVE it.! I don't think I've logged a mile without it this summer; and almost every mile has been brim-forward. I don't find that it pushes my helmet back and I appreciate the extra sun protection (I find that a little bit of sun through the top of the glasses very frustrating.
Like others have mentioned, I'm no longer blessed with thick locks of hair so appreciate whatever burn-protection it might offer, but the biggest factor for me is keeping the sweat out of my eyes.

LesMiner
07-24-2012, 06:59 AM
No one may have noticed but Chris Horner has tell tale sunburn stripes on his scalp. I wear one as well. Headsweats makes good ones that help evaporate sweat. Halo makes one with their signature sweat channel, it more like their sweat band added to a cap.

Aaron O
07-24-2012, 07:16 AM
I wear a Halo bandanna doorag sort of thing because I sweat a LOT and this keeps it out of my eyes. It's not something I would ever normally wear, and I feel like an idiot, but it works wonders and really helps with a problem I've had for a LONG time. I highly recommend it if you regularly have this issue.

christian
07-24-2012, 07:29 AM
If you wear a Halo, please don't ever ride in groups. Disgusting.

Aaron O
07-24-2012, 07:42 AM

:rolleyes:

I'm disgusting, trying to keep sweat out of my eyes.

benitosan1972
07-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Doo rags look vert gangsta, works for Eminem...

Aaron O
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Admittedly I am not a fashion template, but if something helps me ride without salt sting to the eyes...which is a distraction and dangerous...I don't care what it looks like. It works and I care more about riding safely and comfortably than I do about fashion. To be blunt, cycling stuff looks ridiculous across the board and it's sort of funny to watch comments about doorags from people that 99% of the population think look like giant dorks looking to get into a Tron convention. I'd rather ride with a guy wearing a doorag than one wiping salt from his eyes on a descent.

christian
07-24-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm disgusting, trying to keep sweat out of my eyes.All due respect, I'd prefer it in your eyes rather than in mine! If anyone used one on a ride with me, I'd be to the back of the line and no rotating through. Sorry.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2012, 08:07 AM
If it was good enough for the Pirate it's good enough for me. Yes I'm a baldy too like Pantini only I can't ride like him.

http://i49.tinypic.com/35jm0s6.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/atm8eu.jpg

He may be too young to know who Il Pirate' was...

67-59
07-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Yes, by all means. Much better to have sweat drip onto your glasses when you're in front, hit that pothole you don't see and take the whole group down with you.

But at least the others wouldn't have had sweat dripped onto them....

bart998
07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
i've posted this before, but i swear by craft brand cycling caps. technical material, and very breathable. when it's sunny, i wear it backwards and the brim keeps sun off my neck, and sweat out of my eyes. when it's raining, brim forward keeps rain out of my face. great caps, very comfortable and durable.

IMO, of course.

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/images/paps/Craft+Performance+Bike+Cap_2012_red.jpg

+1. I tried the bandanna thing for a couple of years but went back to a cap. The ends of the do-rag flap and don't protect your neck as well as the cap bill.

Aaron O
07-24-2012, 08:52 AM
That cap looks interesting - I wouldn't mind giving that a try. Generally I haven't liked the feel of caps under my helmet and have had a tough time positioning the lid in the rear.

charliedid
07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
"Multiple times I'll be riding home from work in my khaki shorts on my fixed gear commuter "

Why this...what's the deal?

estilley
07-24-2012, 09:33 AM
"Multiple times I'll be riding home from work in my khaki shorts on my fixed gear commuter "

Why this...what's the deal?

Just stirring up the paceline. Nothing but respect for those on the forum.

Jaq
07-24-2012, 09:35 AM

What a coincidence. Many times I'll be on the last leg of a 40 or 50 mile workout, riding home in full kit and doo-rag and spinning out my legs at about 14 miles an hour when some guy on a $40 pos fixie in khaki shorts blows by me thinking he's just won the TdF.

Auk
07-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Wear a hat, cut the top out of it and you're set. The bill diverts the sweat away from your eyes and the now removed top allows air flow though the vents.

And, if you get into a pinch, you can cut the bill into sections and use it as a tire boot. Got a guy home the last 15 miles this way on Sunday after his carcass developed a cut and the tube was creating a bubble under the tread. Install and ride away.

estilley
07-24-2012, 09:38 AM
What a coincidence. Many times I'll be on the last leg of a 40 or 50 mile workout, riding home in full kit and doo-rag and spinning out my legs at about 14 miles an hour when some guy on a $40 pos fixie in khaki shorts blows by me thinking he's just won the TdF.

Imagine winning the TdF in khaki shorts! What a feat!

mtbjohn
07-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I am not a fast rider, however I started wearing one after getting skin cancer on the top of my head. Unfortunately, my bike helmet didn't cover my bald spot! I always wore a ball cap when I was playing outdoor sports, but forgot to consider that my bike helmet didn't give me full protection.

scrubadub
07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a technical cycling cap and couldn't find any. It seemed sort of strange given the easy availability of many technical running caps.

EDIT: Gah. My Google-fu is failing me. Anyone got a link to a place that actually sells these? I found some Headsweats versions that are not cotton but the bill looks kind of long.

NRRider
07-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a technical cycling cap and couldn't find any. It seemed sort of strange given the easy availability of many technical running caps.

EDIT: Gah. My Google-fu is failing me. Anyone got a link to a place that actually sells these? I found some Headsweats versions that are not cotton but the bill looks kind of long.
Same here. Did a search but had trouble finding, other than the Radio Shack-Nissan version, and it looks like that one's 100% cotton.

buldogge
07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Apparently no longer available...new model/new stock coming in September.

-Mark in St. Louis

DreaminJohn
07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
same here. Did a search but had trouble finding, other than the radio shack-nissan version, and it looks like that one's 100% cotton.

+3

charliedid
07-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Great hats if you can find them but pretty sure it's no longer made :-(

charliedid
07-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Just stirring up the paceline. Nothing but respect for those on the forum.

At least you realize what you are doing...

wooly
07-24-2012, 11:31 AM
What about this one by Giro?:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=45113&category=1623

EDIT: There are actually quite a few if you scroll down to Giro caps...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=1623

GRAVELBIKE
07-24-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm old, slow, and ride nice bikes (well, I like them, at least). I wear a Headsweats do rag instead of a cap. I don't want or need a visor (otherwise I'd have purchased a helmet with a built-in visor).

Bob Ross
07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

^^^This ...plus, most caps don't fit as well under the helmet.

I really want to like cycling caps, I own three of them...but due to the abovementioned issues, I wear a doo-rag for 95% of my riding.

scrubadub
07-24-2012, 12:24 PM
What about this one by Giro?:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=45113&category=1623

EDIT: There are actually quite a few if you scroll down to Giro caps...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=1623

Good call. I think Universal Cycles is out of stock of many of them, but I'm going to order one from elsewhere and see how it works. It looks like Pearl Izumi also makes one called the Transfer. Not a big fan of the giant logo on the brim though.

Louis
07-24-2012, 02:05 PM

:confused::confused::confused:

Is this a joke?

Nelson99
07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I hate the look, but without it I can't wear sunglasses. If I don't divert the sweat the glasses just become sweat catchers and I can't see. Since I wear a helmet 99% of the time, most of my riding partners don't have to suffer too much from the style problem, but I don't think they ride with me because of my looks in the first place.

What's the deal with group rides and halos? You allergic or something?

christian
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Is this a joke?
Yes, my bad. I was confusing the HALO with the GUTR - that silicone sweatband that directs sweat directly onto following cyclists. The HALO does appear totally innocuous. Mea Culpa.

Louis
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Mea Culpa.

:):):)

Nelson99
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Yes, my bad. I was confusing the HALO with the GUTR - that silicone sweatband that directs sweat directly onto following cyclists. The HALO does appear totally innocuous. Mea Culpa.

Interesting. I'd considered a GUTR, now I'm glad I chose the HALO. But, from a totally self centered perspective, the GUTR is probably cooler. Fact is, I don't like having to wear either of them, nor a helmet... Oh well.

killacks
07-24-2012, 05:18 PM
...but in response to the title, I say do what you wanna do-rag

bheight1
07-24-2012, 05:27 PM

This. What makes sense to one person doesn't always make sense to another. I have the same allergy and I'll do what I have to to avoid a sting--full finger gloves, zipped jersey, arm skins, etc. It's the same reason I wear a Road ID, not because I need a body tag, but because my ID contains instructions should I go into anaphylactic shock (it's happened) and my throat closes.

Elefantino
07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Sweat.

Always wear one.

youngman
07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Many of the thin lightweight skull caps for cycling are of a Coolmax type of fabric which really speeds in wicking the sweat into the fabric and into the breeze in evaporation.