PDA

View Full Version : Sentence to Dr for assaulting bicyclists

slidey
07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/01/cyclist-sentenced.html

Finally, justice is served...now for one of them low IQ people (those citing blinded-by-the-sun as an excuse to run into cyclists) to be adjudged guilty to set the right precedence.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Just the same drivel, no wonder people have a problem taking bicyclists serious, many in our ranks can't put a cogent thought together.

That man purposefully injured those people, used his car as a weapon. Even slow witted people can see that there is a difference between that and somebody who errors on the roadway and causes and accident.

slidey
07-23-2012, 06:22 PM
I think you're better off not making sweeping conclusions about an entire set of people.
many in our ranks can't put a cogent thought together.

In my opinion, blinded-by-the-sun is never a valid reason and I'd like a judge ruling such a case in favour of cyclist specifically charging the driver for reckless driving. If your opinion differs on it, I don't care...this is my opinion...so you don't need to care either.
Even slow witted people can see that there is a difference between that and somebody who errors on the roadway and causes and accident.

Aaron O
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
This is justice...the guy is a repeat offender and a menace. A message had to be sent and I'm glad to see it was a strong one.

As far as criminal penalties for accidents, HUH? I'm not seeing the similarity between a malicious assault and negligence/accidents/etc.

I would like to see a change to the way we handle distracted drivers and cell phone users...something similar to drunk driving penalties might work.

Vientomas
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Doctor sentenced to 5 years in prison for assaulting bicyclists in Brentwood
January 8, 2010 | 11:05 am

Is this the correct date?

slidey
07-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I think citing 'blinded-by-the-sun' is the lamest reason of them all, and I genuinely believe drivers citing this know they can get away with it due to there being an immediate acceptance of this flawed logic in our society. Why do I think it's lame? Well, 'cause the sun's been around for thousands of years and will continue for a few thousand more...if some brainiac hasn't gotten accustomed to the sun by now, well then, the least they can do is shoulder the blame instead of pointing skywards. Since willingly accepting blame isn't going to happen, to quote you, I want a strong message being sent, so people stop hiding behind this lame excuse.

Criminal penalties, definitely not...but ticket for negligent driving, yes please.

As far as criminal penalties for accidents, HUH? I'm not seeing the similarity between a malicious assault and negligence/accidents/etc.

bobswire
07-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Doctor sentenced to 5 years in prison for assaulting bicyclists in Brentwood
January 8, 2010 | 11:05 am

Is this the correct date?

Yes, but it's like an old favorite song. Can't get enough of it.

norcalbiker
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
This is justice...the guy is a repeat offender and a menace. A message had to be sent and I'm glad to see it was a strong one.

Amen!!!

Vientomas
07-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, but it's like an old favorite song. Can't get enough of it.

I guess someone had to break out the "way back machine" to dig this topic up. Maybe the end of the Tour makes for a slow news day here in the Paceline.

7.0-Magnitude Earthquake Devastates Port-au-Prince, Haiti - Jan. 2010.

gdw
07-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Slidey's trolling. He doesn't understand what the term contributing factor means but has real strong opinions about ticketing and the sun.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I think you're better off not making sweeping conclusions about an entire set of people.

In my opinion, blinded-by-the-sun is never a valid reason and I'd like a judge ruling such a case in favour of cyclist specifically charging the driver for reckless driving. If your opinion differs on it, I don't care...this is my opinion...so you don't need to care either.

But surely you can see the difference between the two scenarios you pose.

ultraman6970
07-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey this thing happened last year and he was sentenced in january :D happy to see a good outcome.

What happened to the guy that kill that cyclist in miami? he was drunk and did not believed that the rider died?? I think was in the only climb (a bridge) you can find in miami like a year or 2 ago.

ultraman6970
07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Update, the sucker is house arrest apparently after a 500 thousand dollars bond. 2 years, 9 delays and nothing.

Thats why i dont like miami, if you have money there you can buy a slave, in this case the whole justice system. Sure a 16 y/o that stole something in the dollar store was processed in a matter of weeks or days and locked up for awhile.

Darn...

slidey
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Oh yes, in that you're absolutely right. I'm not calling for the same action on both, etc...just hoping there is action to dismiss a lame reason which I feel a lot of careless drivers use as a pretext.

But surely you can see the difference between the two scenarios you pose.

slidey
07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Well, I sure don't see you contributing much to this discussion. Hmm...I wonder what the word is for a pointless tangential post to a thread? Trolling is it?

Slidey's trolling. He doesn't understand what the term contributing factor means but has real strong opinions about ticketing and the sun.

Also, I think you fail to see the point of an online forum...I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to air it, but I certainly don't expect you to accept it.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Oh yes, in that you're absolutely right. I'm not calling for the same action on both, etc...just hoping there is action to dismiss a lame reason which I feel a lot of careless drivers use as a pretext.

So, you brought up issue A to address a completely different issue B? Why not just address issue B with something relevant?

:help:

slidey
07-23-2012, 09:30 PM
It's like as in Snooker...the idea is the same, get position to pot balls...but what shot you play is entirely dependent on the position of the balls. In other words, I feel scenario B is a nuisance to riders and action is needed here too, not necessarily the same action as in scenario A.

So, you brought up issue A to address a completely different issue B? Why not just address issue B with something relevant?

:help:

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
It's like as in Snooker...the idea is the same, get position to pot balls...but what shot you play is entirely dependent on the position of the balls. In other words, I feel scenario B is a nuisance to riders and action is needed here too, not necessarily the same action as in scenario A.

Ah, crystal clear.