PDA

View Full Version : New Salsa Gravel Grinder and Ti Seatpost

ptourkin
07-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Lots of new stuff shown by Salsa this week but the Warbird Ti gravel racer caught my eye. It will take 38s-- should be useful: http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2012/07/22/too-much-newness-salsa-beargrease-salsa-colossal-salsa-warbird/

Also, a new Ericksen-looking ti post:

ben_san
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
I LOVE what these guys have been doing in the last few years. High performance, practical bikes that aren't hamstrung by any racing heritage crap. Not that there's anything wrong with that but different strokes and all that. The Warbird looks amazing.

AngryScientist
07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
those bikes are sweet. i love seeing more Ti stuff on the open market. good work Salsa!

csm
07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
they look interesting but I miss the "cooler" names....
chilli con crosso
fargo
vaya
etc

jamesutiopia
07-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Nice bikes, but why is the rear caliper on the seat stay? I thought they had that fixed last year

mvrider
07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Any idea if these will be Lynskey-built?

KidWok
07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Oh man oh man...I see a blue and orange Colossal in my future!

Tai

130R
07-24-2012, 02:07 AM
everything looked nice... until I saw the headtube.

PaMtbRider
08-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I really like the idea of the warbird. I also wonder if Lynskey will be making these. Latest info here
http://salsacycles.com/culture/new_for_2013_introducing_warbird/

christian
08-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Voice of dissent. I don't think Salsa has done a bit worth mentioning anise Ross Schafer left. The new "gravel" bikes have less clearance than many cross frames. The disc road bike can't fit 28s!

The Podio is cool and I guess if you like fatbikes that's your business, but I think this stuff is poorly thought-out crap mostly.

krhea
08-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Voice of dissent. I don't think Salsa has done a bit worth mentioning anise Ross Schafer left. The new "gravel" bikes have less clearance than many cross frames. The disc road bike can't fit 28s!

The Podio is cool and I guess if you like fatbikes that's your business, but I think this stuff is poorly thought-out crap mostly.

I'm sorry Christian, but I think I missed both your opinion and how you really feel on this subject. Could you please take a deep breath, relax and just open up a bit and let us know how you really feel about Salsa products. :)

christian
08-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey, what can I say, I'm itching to go ride some dirt! On 23s. My Merckx is gravel grinding in Franklin County, tomorrow.

JAGI410
08-17-2012, 09:15 PM

No, for the 2013 bikes they have moved all Titanium production overseas. The manufacturers in Taiwan can do butting and thicknesses Lynskey isn't willing to do for Salsa.

The disc road bike can't fit 28s!

Sure it can, it comes with 700x28 Clement Strada LLG tires.

mcteague
08-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Still love my old Salsa Shaft seatpost. It is easiest to setup and never seems to creak. Not the best looking but I really can't see it when riding.

Tim

oldpotatoe
08-18-2012, 07:35 AM

Think so...lotsa changes when QBP bought them. Brought R&D and development $ Ross didn't have before.

See the post about the ti going offshore-Too bad, Lynskey could use the business. I think the point about butting and such was more about the $ of doing it at Lynskey vs doing it Asia...hope they monitor production closely...

Aaron O
08-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Think so...lotsa changes when QBP bought them. Brought R&D and development $ Ross didn't have before.

See the post about the ti going offshore-Too bad, Lynskey could use the business. I think the point about butting and such was more about the $ of doing it at Lynskey vs doing it Asia...hope they monitor production closely...

That's where I am too...I think ti bikes are more variable in quality than any other material and require more attention to detail. I wouldn't be interested in over seas ti from a QBP company. I think with ti you really need to stick to the Serottas, Sevens, Moots, etc.

Ramjm_2000
08-18-2012, 08:42 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I just received my new cross bike from Lynskey and it was the longest wait I've ever had with them. From what I was told they just upgraded their facilities and are swamped with orders. Have you heard something different?

oldpotatoe
08-19-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm not so sure about that. I just received my new cross bike from Lynskey and it was the longest wait I've ever had with them. From what I was told they just upgraded their facilities and are swamped with orders. Have you heard something different?

I really don't know, just what a previous poster said but it seems that Lynskey is building more frames with other names on them than Lynskey..very Litespeed-esque.

fourflys
08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm a huge Salsa fan but am pretty disappointed they discontinued the Casseroll for the Colossal... as mentioned, 28's is the largest it can handle and I'm not sure if that is with fenders (I doubt it)... and I still fell discs are overkill on a bike like that... The only Salsa I would consider right now is the El Mariachi and I'm not sure that is the best bike in that category right now...

If you're looking for a bike like the Colossal, check out Mike Varley's bikes at http://www.blackmtncycles.com/p/black-mountain-cycles-frames.html he knows a thing or two and the bikes ride fantastic!

BTW- the new Surly Krampus looks promising but I'm a bit leery of Surly's use of heavy 4130...