PDA

View Full Version : rides go here

oliver1850
07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I rode with my overnight guest to Henry, IL where he crossed the IL River headed for Maine. He went happily off with a 22 mph tailwind, while I rode home into it. Temp was 102 when I got home. Still happy to get 78 miles in on a Monday.

junkfood
07-23-2012, 07:23 PM
What bike were you on Mark? Sounds like a warm ride back, at least you had the breeze ;)

Jake

jlwdm
07-23-2012, 08:41 PM
I did not really feel like riding this morning - 20th morning in a row. But I felt better once I got on the road and rode an easy 30 miles.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning.

Jeff

tkbike
07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I'M jealous, typical Monday for me...left for work at 6am and got home at 7:30pm. At least my new Kuat rack was delivered today and I got to assemble it, will use on Sunday with the MTB's.

Bruce K
07-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Regular evening group ride. It's supposed to be a recovery/easier paced ride but it went out a little faster tonight than normal/planned - some folks were just feeling the need for some sort of speed I guess.

27 miles in 1.3 hours. Not much recovery there......:mad:

BK

oliver1850
07-24-2012, 10:27 AM
What bike were you on Mark? Sounds like a warm ride back, at least you had the breeze ;)

Jake

I rode the carbon DBR with Rival, mainly because it had a spare tire and pump on it and I didn't want to take the time to get flat repair equipment on something else. I'd ridden it the day before and lost a chainring bolt. I did take the time to replace that. I guess I should check the bolts on new SRAM cranks from now on.

I slept for 12 hours straight then woke and slept for 2 more. I got up thinking about where I might ride today, but it's going to be another hot day.

boxerboxer
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Was out for an hour before work, just easy spinning. Sun coming up over a cornfield is pretty magical. There are 6 months out of the year where I'd rather be somewhere else but the prairie is gorgeous all summer long.

xjoex
07-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I rode before work a mix of dirt roads and singletrack. It was great.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZEO7w9-A6yQ/UA7AWQcku5I/AAAAAAAAF-I/cIU7GN4dhXk/s800/547795_3824573326415_1696582801_n.jpg

-Joe

oliver1850
07-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the recent ride pics, Joe.

youngman
07-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a awesome ride, good job!

FixedNotBroken
07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
I rode with my overnight guest to Henry, IL where he crossed the IL River headed for Maine. He went happily off with a 22 mph tailwind, while I rode home into it. Temp was 102 when I got home. Still happy to get 78 miles in on a Monday.

Sweet kickstand.

Steve in SLO
07-25-2012, 06:52 PM
While not exactly a Monday ride, Tuesday was my birthday, so I treated myself to a 20 mile ride with 3K ft of climbing up to the top of a nearby mountain. Afterwards I went into an LBS where the manager of a brewery situated next door found out it was my BD and dragged me in and bought me pint of Ginger Wit. Yum. 'Twas a good day.

Karl Lee
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Looks like a great ride up the mountain. Happy Birthday!

oliver1850
07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Sweet kickstand.

Yeah, I never thought about it before, but makes sense on a loaded touring bike. I got an email from him Monday night, he made 125 miles that day.

Happy birthday Steve

Louis
07-25-2012, 07:32 PM
I rode with my overnight guest to Henry, IL where he crossed the IL River headed for Maine. He went happily off with a 22 mph tailwind, while I rode home into it. Temp was 102 when I got home.

What brutal weather for a cross-country ride. :eek:

oliver1850
07-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Here's a couple of pics from last night's 40 mile ride. I was drenched when I got back. Although the DBR's top tube is 2 cm longer than I like, last night I was feeling comfortable enough in the drops that I thought I could swap the stem to a 120 with less rise. The tape was supposed to match the wheel decals, but didn't. May go with black next time.

Louis
07-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Peachy !

vav
07-25-2012, 08:43 PM
. The tape was supposed to match the wheel decals, but didn't. May go with black next time.

I think it's pretty darn close!! At least on the pic.

vav
07-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Perfect weather. Serotta Fierte set up as SS

Roger M
07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
We pedaled about 23 miles the other night, mostly on paths. I've heard less clicking on my stoker's freewheel this year(vs. the last couple of years), which makes me happy.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-07-11_19-53-48_982-1.jpg

carlucci1106
07-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Did the quadrathalon training route again. 13 miiles 1900ft climb. Shaved 2.5 minutes off the uphill, but still have a long way to go before the race in February.

carlucci1106
07-25-2012, 09:27 PM
@ Steve in SLO: Happy Birthday! What kind of mtb is that? I have a friend who rides and does tri's in SLO. Wonder if you know him...

@ vav : nice lookin' ss!

@ roger: very nice pic... warms my heart to see parents spending quality time with their kids. And riding bikes is tops!

Jack Brunk
07-25-2012, 09:33 PM
24 miles 2 hours on the Firefly. Sweet day!

Wilkinson4
07-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Rocking my touring look. I took off for a tour this time of year and it was hot like this. +100 degrees, rocking a beard, etc... Sandals and cherry limeaides saved my life:)

Was he somebody you knew? Or just a passing tourist you offered a place to stay ala' warm showers.

mIKE

rounder
07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Here's a couple of pics from last night's 40 mile ride. I was drenched when I got back. Although the DBR's top tube is 2 cm longer than I like, last night I was feeling comfortable enough in the drops that I thought I could swap the stem to a 120 with less rise. The tape was supposed to match the wheel decals, but didn't. May go with black next time.

Good pictures. Nice scenery. Your bikes all look different, but they all look dialed in.

oliver1850
07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Rocking my touring look. I took off for a tour this time of year and it was hot like this. +100 degrees, rocking a beard, etc... Sandals and cherry limeaides saved my life:)

Was he somebody you knew? Or just a passing tourist you offered a place to stay ala' warm showers.

mIKE

He is in fact a warm showers contact. I was on the old touring cyclist hospitality list, or whatever it was called in the pre internet days, but never had anyone contact me. Signed onto warm showers and had the first visitor within a week. I think his beard is just so he didn't have to shave for this trip. He had stayed a week with his grandfather in western IL before riding out to my place. Grandpa is a barber, and gave him a mullet. He said his grandpa didn't know what a mullet was, and he told him "party in the back, business in front".

Ken, I'll agree about the different comment, but not so sure about the dialed in. I've always got things I'd like to change on every bike, but I'm not very good about getting any changes made, once the bike is rideable.

Vav: I've been eyeing my single speed lately, but haven't ridden it.

Roger: great pic, he looks so serious!

I'd love to ride a MTB in CA where Jack and Steve ride. I never had a MTB when I used to travel there 3 or 4 times a year. Now I have the bike but don't travel.

Steve in SLO
07-25-2012, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=carlucci1106;1177945]@ Steve in SLO: Happy Birthday! What kind of mtb is that? I have a friend who rides and does tri's in SLO. Wonder if you know him...
QUOTE]
Thanks!
Black Sheep Ti 29er hardtail...just a great ride.
Although I am not a triathelete, PM me his name...maybe.

Roger M
07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
About 25 miles today out in Snohomish/Everett. Not much for hills, but a good ride anyhow.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_7701.jpg

oliver1850
07-26-2012, 10:47 PM
That looks like a nice road to me, Roger. What's the bike?

Today's ride was a rain dance of sorts. I took a package to the PO for Junkfood, then headed off into the dark grey horizon, hoping for the best. It could hardly have worked out any better. I didn't get 5 miles before the first drops were coming down and by mile 7 I was soaked. Ducked into a farm shop to wait out the worst of it for about 15 minutes, then started towards home. By the time I got within 5 miles of home I could see that the rain was over and the sun would come through, so I switched directions again, trying to find the dry pavement, like Senna on slicks (only slow, in comparison to anything on wheels, not just Senna). I stopped into the local state park and spent an hour talking to a German tourist. She started her trip in Janesville, WI, where she spent a year as an exchange student in 1976. She's headed to Quincy, IL, Kansas City, Dodge City, and ultimately Sante Fe. If anyone is along her route and would like to host her, let me know. In the end I got 54 miles in on the new to me Legend.

If you're in the drought area, please build a new bike and take it out when there's a 20% chance of rain. We had a 60% chance last night and got nary a drop, today all it took was me on the bike. I'm convinced that new builds bring rain. I didn't take the camera today, but here's the bike I rode. Thanks to Gothard, bulldogge, guyintense, pegoready, akelman, thwart, SteveInSLO for bits and pieces, and advice.

Jack Brunk
07-26-2012, 11:10 PM
25 road miles tonight. Not nearly as fun as the dirt but it felt good to run hard in the big ring. Lot's of very pretty ladies out tonight around the lake.

Roger M
07-26-2012, 11:15 PM

Oliver, that's a great looking bike you put together. Nice work

This is a Stan Johnson frame with Record and Chorus parts. Stan built this frame for his brother in 1989. I purchased it from him earlier this year. It's built up with SP tubing, and rides great. The paint is a love or hate thing.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_7700.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_7250.jpg

OTB
07-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Recently in Aspen - my goal was to ride Independence Pass to Twin Lakes and back. 77 miles round trip and 7200 ft climbing. Had read about it, but had no where to train for altitude living in the midwest. Did hills in Wisconsin hoping it would help. The tool: My reliable S&S retrofitted (by Bilenky) Moots Vamoots Compact with DA 7800, 7950 compact, 7700/Open Pro CD Ceramic 32H/3x wheels. When riding in Colorado it's gotta be a Moots of course. Started on the West side which is longer at 18 miles and has 4000 ft elevation gain. It was hard to breathe from the start, and my baseline HR was already 140. But with proper pacing, it just stayed "hard" and only "on the verge of suffocating." Lots of road markings to let you know just how far you still were from the top. The views were spectacular and the cliffs dramatic. Several portions had no guard rails. Very Euro. And narrowed in parts to one lane. The top was pure relief and elation. Descending the East side (~15 mi) was twisty switchbacks at the top and then wide open to the bottom. Small homey general store where a half frozen burrito refueled. The return trip up the East side was hard because of fatigue and a bit of a grind. But the scenery took the mind off the pain. Finally able to make it all the way up and then descend the 18 miles on the West side back into Aspen. The descents were well worth it and provided a lifetime memories.

xjoex
07-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Recently in Aspen - my goal was to ride Independence Pass to Twin Lakes and back....

Awesome!

Yesterday I rode the CX bike again on some singletrack pretending I was fast.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hew5qHXJ15o/UBCzXkItWFI/AAAAAAAAF-4/vlN2RCQvN48/s640/IMG_8013.jpg

Tonight a group ride, I have not ridden in a group in a while. New trails too. Fun stuff.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AFUw7hFP650/UBIkIxi55oI/AAAAAAAAGA0/wkxsbvpP6T4/s640/524555_387747167945615_333950331_n.jpg

-Joe

OTB
07-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Awesome!

Yesterday I rode the CX bike again on some singletrack pretending I was fast.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hew5qHXJ15o/UBCzXkItWFI/AAAAAAAAF-4/vlN2RCQvN48/s640/IMG_8013.jpg

Tonight a group ride, I have not ridden in a group in a while. New trails too. Fun stuff.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AFUw7hFP650/UBIkIxi55oI/AAAAAAAAGA0/wkxsbvpP6T4/s640/524555_387747167945615_333950331_n.jpg

-Joe

Wow, it's cross season "almost" already ...

oliver1850
07-27-2012, 12:21 AM
This is a Stan Johnson frame with Record and Chorus parts. Stan built this frame for his brother in 1989. I purchased it from him earlier this year. It's built up with SP tubing, and rides great. The paint is a love or hate thing.

Another builder I don't know anything about. As someone who's done some painting of cars and bikes, I love the idea of the fingerprints. Kind of like including your mistakes in the design from the start. I'd like to see more frame details, the seat tube cluster looks very much like 1990 era Serotta.

xjoex
07-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow, it's cross season "almost" already ...

When you live on a dirt road it's always cross season :)

-Joe

maxdog
07-27-2012, 12:37 AM
So many beautiful shots here, I've gotta get hip with the picture thing. Really nice looking build Mark, never would have guessed it was a legend with that classic Coors paint. OTB, that's a tour I've always wanted to do, thanks for the inspiration (my Moots nods in agreement).
Coincidentally I was up at the library for my monthly board meeting, as one of the trustees, and walking in I spotted a fully load touring rig. I went inside and quickly spotted the owner, still wearing his gloves. He's crashing upstairs at the moment. Keeping the good karma following.
Send some of that rain this way please.

oliver1850
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Recently in Aspen - my goal was to ride Independence Pass to Twin Lakes and back. 77 miles round trip and 7200 ft climbing. Had read about it, but had no where to train for altitude living in the midwest. Did hills in Wisconsin hoping it would help. The tool: My reliable S&S retrofitted (by Bilenky) Moots Vamoots Compact with DA 7800, 7950 compact, 7700/Open Pro CD Ceramic 32H/3x wheels. When riding in Colorado it's gotta be a Moots of course. Started on the West side which is longer at 18 miles and has 4000 ft elevation gain. It was hard to breathe from the start, and my baseline HR was already 140. But with proper pacing, it just stayed "hard" and only "on the verge of suffocating." Lots of road markings to let you know just how far you still were from the top. The views were spectacular and the cliffs dramatic. Several portions had no guard rails. Very Euro. And narrowed in parts to one lane. The top was pure relief and elation. Descending the East side (~15 mi) was twisty switchbacks at the top and then wide open to the bottom. Small homey general store where a half frozen burrito refueled. The return trip up the East side was hard because of fatigue and a bit of a grind. But the scenery took the mind off the pain. Finally able to make it all the way up and then descend the 18 miles on the West side back into Aspen. The descents were well worth it and provided a lifetime memories.

To quote Joe: Awesome! Really nice pics and great bike. Where did you go in Wisco to ride? I'm interested to know if it prepared you for riding in the mountains.

I've not been able to find any hills in my neighborhood above Cat 5, but I can loop 4 or 5 of them together in a 50 mile ride. You can find even better climbing in the three corners area of IL, IA, and WI. I can wear myself out in the "friendly confines", but if you're looking for more challenges close to home, you should look into riding in the Mississippi River area. I think I could come up with a route in Carroll county that would have a similar amount of climbing (7,000') to the Almozo 100, but completely on paved roads. I have low incentive to map the route, because it would kill me.

oliver1850
07-27-2012, 01:16 AM
When you live on a dirt road it's always cross season :)

-Joe

Where in CO? It looks really green in your pics. Really do appreciate the action pics, something that's hard to do when riding alone.

oliver1850
07-27-2012, 01:28 AM
So many beautiful shots here, I've gotta get hip with the picture thing. Really nice looking build Mark, never would have guessed it was a legend with that classic Coors paint. OTB, that's a tour I've always wanted to do, thanks for the inspiration (my Moots nods in agreement).
Coincidentally I was up at the library for my monthly board meeting, as one of the trustees, and walking in I spotted a fully load touring rig. I went inside and quickly spotted the owner, still wearing his gloves. He's crashing upstairs at the moment. Keeping the good karma following.
Send some of that rain this way please.

Hopefully my touring guest will drag some rain your way. I really don't know how many different models got the Coors paint, but I've seen 3 so far with this paint scheme. It would be interesting to know whether the riders chose Ti or steel. My bike is a replica, not a real team bike. My memory says that Phinney liked the Ti frames, but I know other team members rode steel.

Roger M
07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Another builder I don't know anything about. As someone who's done some painting of cars and bikes, I love the idea of the fingerprints. Kind of like including your mistakes in the design from the start. I'd like to see more frame details, the seat tube cluster looks very much like 1990 era Serotta.

oliver

Stan only built 150 frames between 1980 and 2000. He was in Oxnard,CA until 1993, and then moved to Bozeman. This frame is number 77. The lugs, fork crown, and bottom bracket are Henry James pieces.

This frame was painted by CyclArt, but a lot of his frames were done by Joe Bell. The paint job is pretty nice, but layed on a little thick(according to my eyes)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_7294.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_7279.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_7295.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_7301.jpg

Sorry for the hijack

oliver1850
07-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Not a hijack, it's nice to see the details.

Last night I had another slow 40 mile ride. Here's the 1990 (I think) Colorado, with the Chorus graphite parts, and a couple of pics from the road. Lou Deeter was responsible for this build. He sold me the wheels and the shifters, which started me looking for other graphite parts. The search continues for brakes and FD.

I stumbled on the local MoPar fanatic's farm by accident. He has some really nice ones including a hemi GTX. The '67 (?) Satellite has some rust, but is straight and complete. One of my favorite MoPar body styles. Also a really solid F100 sitting there. I didn't go snooping, may ask to next time I see him.

Roger M
07-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice looking Colorado. Those rims were made for that bike. Nice work
When I was a kid, my neighbor had 56 Ford PU like that, but with the wrap around window and a tri-power setup on a 390. Was a real cool truck.

I got in three rides this weekend. Twenty eight miles last night with my wife, on our tandem. About nine miles today, towing my son on his trailer bike. And twenty eight miles this afternoon on my own.

It's that time of the year. My kids love fresh corn

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-07-29_17-35-16_231.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-07-29_17-59-30_687.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-07-29_17-23-12_140.jpg

My ride for today was a bike I built a couple years back. However, I finally upgraded to Retrofriction shifters and a more user friendly cassette(26t big cog vs 23 before). It's a 1983 Peugeot PSV 10

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-07-29_17-36-11_218.jpg

Jack Brunk
07-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I got in 80 miles of mountain biking this weekend on the FLY. I now understand what a addict is. My Fly is like heroin. Terrific weekend in the Santa Monica's. Last pic you can barely see the fog along the coast. Yesterday there was any fog for 200 miles up and down the coast. Visually anyway.

54ny77
07-30-2012, 12:01 AM
riding in so cal (orange county), first time in my life booted out of a road riding area today by local sheriff (who was very nice and totally professional about it). reason? mountain lion spotted along a path.

yeah, it took me all of about 0.005 seconds to say "thanks, i'm outta here!" and got the heck outta dodge....

sure was an interesting mental calculus for assessing imminent danger: mountain lion off the road/path vs. texting dingbat in an oversize suv on main road.

hmmm....what's worse?

Fixed
07-30-2012, 04:55 AM
The older I get the more I like mt bikes
Nice photos
Cheers

oliver1850
07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
The pics from where Jack rides look like fun, eh Butch? The trails around me are getting too tough for an old guy, being designed for hiking and thick with tree roots. It would be great to ride Jack's trails sometime.

I'm surprised that they were worried about a mountain lion. I would have thought they were unlikely to attack a human, especially on a bike. I'd be more concerned about a pack of coyotes, after hearing about that woman runner killed on a trail in Canada.

Steve in SLO
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Rare, but it happens. On a bike I would fear the lion, since movement triggers their chase instinct. Unless very hungry, coyotes are pretty shy.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-01-09-mountain-lion_x.htm

oliver1850
07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
The lion should not have gone back for seconds.

Apparently the coyotes that killed the woman had interbred with dogs, and have lost their fear of humans.

Fixed
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks this is an awesome thread nice to read
Cheers

rwsaunders
07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
I rode the Keystone Country Ride MS150 this past weekend, with the ride starting and ending in Hollidaysburg, PA, with an overnight in State College, PA...yes Happy Valley. Only 4 of the 10 usual suspects could make the ride, so I took the chance to take a lot of photos and enjoy the scenery, riding solo for quite a few miles, as well as joining in with some groups for the conversation.

The ride consists of mostly rolling hills through the farmland of central PA, with a total vertical climb of about 4,100 feet over the 150 miles. Corn, soybeans, cattle...you get the picture, with the added benefit of fresh manure thrown in every few miles or so. On Saturday night, the highlight of the stay is to dine in town, catch a few cold ones and then hit the always popular and famous Creamery for ice cream.

Weather conditions were initially wet and wild, with thunder and lightning storms fading at the 7:00 am start time on Saturday. The balance of the day was decent, but things got a bit wetter for the last 8 miles or so, with more heavy thunderstorms. Sunday was absolutely gorgeous, with mostly clear and sunny skies and a great riding temperature (for me at least) of 80 degrees or so.

About 500-600 cyclists typically participate in this ride, which makes it not too crowded, and with the event being held in late July, most folks are in good riding shape to boot. The volunteers really go out of their way to make you feel special and the homemade goodies at all of the rest stops are out of this world...ice cream, cookies and this year...snowcones.

oliver1850
07-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Looks like a great ride. What's the structure with the grass roof?

rounder
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM

Today's ride was a rain dance of sorts. I took a package to the PO for Junkfood, then headed off into the dark grey horizon, hoping for the best. It could hardly have worked out any better. I didn't get 5 miles before the first drops were coming down and by mile 7 I was soaked. Ducked into a farm shop to wait out the worst of it for about 15 minutes, then started towards home. By the time I got within 5 miles of home I could see that the rain was over and the sun would come through, so I switched directions again, trying to find the dry pavement, like Senna on slicks (only slow, in comparison to anything on wheels, not just Senna). I stopped into the local state park and spent an hour talking to a German tourist. She started her trip in Janesville, WI, where she spent a year as an exchange student in 1976. She's headed to Quincy, IL, Kansas City, Dodge City, and ultimately Sante Fe. If anyone is along her route and would like to host her, let me know. In the end I got 54 miles in on the new to me Legend.

If you're in the drought area, please build a new bike and take it out when there's a 20% chance of rain. We had a 60% chance last night and got nary a drop, today all it took was me on the bike. I'm convinced that new builds bring rain. I didn't take the camera today, but here's the bike I rode. Thanks to Gothard, bulldogge, guyintense, pegoready, akelman, thwart, SteveInSLO for bits and pieces, and advice.

Cool bike. That thing looks pro.

rwsaunders
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Looks like a great ride. What's the structure with the grass roof?

That's an old iron furnace...not sure of the specific one, as there were quite a few in the area.

http://centrecountyhistory.org/education/schooldistricts.html

AngryScientist
07-30-2012, 09:27 PM
nice reports guys.

like this shot. why the hell cant Serotta sell me schwag anymore??

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=99440&stc=1&d=1343676554

fiamme red
07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
The ride consists of mostly rolling hills through the farmland of central PA, with a total vertical climb of about 4,100 feet over the 150 miles. Corn, soybeans, cattle...you get the picture, with the added benefit of fresh manure thrown in every few miles or so. On Saturday night, the highlight of the stay is to dine in town, catch a few cold ones and then hit the always popular and famous Creamery for ice cream.I'd guess that Peachy Paterno is still the most popular flavor? :)

rwsaunders
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I'd guess that Peachy Paterno is still the most popular flavor? :)

I've been waiting for a comment...notice that PP and Death by Chocolate are in a larger font than the other favors.:cool:

oliver1850
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Nick, I was thinking the same thing about the value of RW's water bottles. I think he put that picture here just to tease the "have nots".

xjoex
07-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I rode a few times over the weekend, we had great weather.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-umRgXFIrx3M/UBR_qJT0qHI/AAAAAAAAGCc/eLCw_MOS_hQ/s640/IMG_8048.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5K7_FSUhIOo/UBR_tLNuM6I/AAAAAAAAGDE/PaKqIjFst3M/s512/IMG_8082.jpg
One broken chain...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-vqBn3lcb-Lg/UBR_rt4kxeI/AAAAAAAAGC0/kIcKfpSc86A/s640/IMG_8075.jpg

Was a great weekend.

-Joe

54ny77
07-31-2012, 05:22 AM
Couple of mtn bikers killed the past few years in the general area, thats why sheriff told folks to leave area. Fine by me, i didnt want to be a statistic!

The pics from where Jack rides look like fun, eh Butch? The trails around me are getting too tough for an old guy, being designed for hiking and thick with tree roots. It would be great to ride Jack's trails sometime.

I'm surprised that they were worried about a mountain lion. I would have thought they were unlikely to attack a human, especially on a bike. I'd be more concerned about a pack of coyotes, after hearing about that woman runner killed on a trail in Canada.

Ti Designs
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Rode with a client on Monday, sort of a moderate pace very early morning ride on Water Row - the best place to be on a bike within 30 miles of Boston at sunrise. While we were coming back we got passed by the Crack O Dawn fast ride. I so wanted to jump on the back, but that was the pace for a different day. Wednesday morning is the hammer ride, which is now larger 'cause the MIT team is showing up. It started out with the older guys having a conversation about how once you get past 35 you lose 2% of your cardio capacity per year. We came to the conclusion that you don't really lose it, most riders just misplace it - part of getting old. It seems a few of us found our lost capacity this morning. Old guys rule. Sometimes.

oliver1850
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
No bike riding this week, except to get from farm to farm. Here's a few pics of what I've been doing instead. I know some of you like to eat, and hopefully some of you like to eat the stuff that likes to eat the stuff that I go to the trouble to produce.

Ti Designs
08-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Thursday ride with clients - two of them are cat 1's. Got my legs ripped off and handed back to me. It's a real ego boost to be the fast guy on the hammer ride, this ride took me back down a few notches. I struggled on the hills, watch them blow past me in the sprints, and even in the fast pacelines where I'm strong this year I was in trouble. We averaged 26mph for almost 40 miles. When I left them I first found recreational riders to draft on my way home. That was too fast, so I found some old people to draft. In the end I had the wind blow me home...

Friday morning I didn't have any clients, so I showed up for the Harvard ride. Wound up riding up Prospect hill a few times with one of my riders who's doing Green Mountain at the end of the month.

Saturday morning I did the ride from the Ride Studio Cafe. A good group of riders showed up including one guy I haven't seen for years. The ride showed me the gap between your average enthusiast and an active cat 1. For an average cyclist I'm fast, to a cat 1 I'm a boat anchor...

benitosan1972
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I rode in beautiful Portola Valley & Woodside yesterday... @ PDMTong: were you out there yesterday? Parlee with red or blue decals? I saw both near Portola Rd... just wondering if either were you :)

benitosan1972
08-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I forgot how nice it is to climb Old La Honda with the smooth roads, shady trees, and sparse traffic... went up that today to Skyline then bombed the super-twisty King's Mountain Road back to civilization.

Great weather, a bit of congestion around the Canada Road area due to Tour de Peninsula though... saw more $$$ carbon bikes out there today than Tour de France, people sure do like their Cervelos + Firecrests out here *jealous*

rwsaunders
08-05-2012, 08:44 PM
No bike riding this week, except to get from farm to farm. Here's a few pics of what I've been doing instead. I know some of you like to eat, and hopefully some of you like to eat the stuff that likes to eat the stuff that I go to the trouble to produce.

Nice work. My business partner raises grass fed cattle and he just purchased more property so that he can keep the herd fed over the Winter, without paying market rate for hay. I know from helping him bale, that your job is tough. Hats off to you.

Fixed
08-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Beautiful the heartland
I have a garden tomatoes cucumber beans and eggplant
There is something very special about growing food
Cheers thanks for the posting

Peter B
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
70 mile out and back to Drum Powerhouse today. They've been working on the turbine this summer...

Fixed
08-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice bike and great photos Peter you are blessed
Cheers IMHO :)

oliver1850
08-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks everybody for contributing. Nice to see the Peg next to that turbine.

First ride for me in about a week. I headed out into the wind; when the road crossed the canal path and I could see fresh oil ahead, I decided to take the path, partly for shelter from the wind. Path is terribly rough for miles, mostly from tree debris. Today I made it all the way to the Rock River at Rock Falls, the first time I've ever ridden all 30-some miles of it. Rode over thousands of sticks up to 2" diameter, but the 14/16 spoke Rolfs and Vittoria CXs survived. CX bike would have been more suited to the route, but I don't plan very far ahead, ended up on the path by accident. Some pics of the the path and canal, then the lock and dam between the canal and the River. There's a hydro dam on the Rock, I took the pic of the river (with the buoys) from the foot bridge over the dam. You're not supposed to ride bikes over it, but people do of course.

Stopped at Tampico on the way home for victuals. Ronald Reagan was born there, so I took a pic of the building where he was born to save GermanyChris the expense of having to make a pilgrimage. What later became a bank was a bakery when Ron's parents rented the apartment above. The Dutch Diner was closed, too bad - I was hungry. 87 mile ride for me today on a near perfect day.

Oh yeah, the beers are flowing like.......does anything flow better than beer?

BumbleBeeDave
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
. . . over in Wahsington County and into Vermont. My friend Doug and I parked in Cambridge, NY, where they have the Tour of the Battenkill, then rode east to Arlington VT, the nnorth to Manchester Center, then over Rupert Mountain back into NY to Salem, then back south to Cambridge. 60 miles total.

Very hot day and soupy/hazy. The air was so thick you could feel it . . . Doug's Garmin said it was 98 degrees while we climbed Rupert and you can see in the distance in that pic how hazy it is. But then some thunderstorms moved through and while we only caught a few drops, by the time we got back to Cambridge the temp had gone down to 83.

Here's some pics of Doug crossing a covered bridge, doing the last pitch to the summit of Rupert, and me at the store we stopped at briefly.

BBD

maxdog
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
BBD, your looking sharp sporting your new Ventoux jersey. Anxiously awaiting some details and pics of your trip.

rounder
08-07-2012, 10:37 PM
nice reports guys.

like this shot. why the hell cant Serotta sell me schwag anymore??

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=99440&stc=1&d=1343676554

Love threads like this. Great pictures.

I always lose the bottles i like the most along the way. Wish serotta offered more schwag. But, i know they are having financial difficulty. Also wish K. Bedford had more schwag. But, he is busy building bikes.

I am not all that in to schwag thing, but buy the stuff where i can find it...mainly to support folks that i like.

oliver1850
08-07-2012, 10:39 PM
thread needs some Bedford pics, is what I'm sayin'.

oliver1850
08-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Went out into the wind today to try to make it rain as there was a 70% chance. I rode the beam bike; still playing around with fit and annoying drivetrain noise issues. Thanks to LouDeeter for the freebie front tubie. It's been getting some miles as the ebay seller sent me a dead tire and also removed the pedals that were pictured on the bike in the listing. His excuse was "Alexi never rode those pedals". Bike is pictured at a lift bridge over the canal. 2nd pic is Green River. This mainly to show how dry it is here. The river is only running about 6" deep. There were a couple of young guys there fishing for smallmouth bass nonetheless. It looks like a canal because that's essentially what it is, as the natural course was straightened when the area was tiled and drained to make it farmable about 100 years ago. Third pic is from a little (Newell) family cemetery at a crossroads. I always feel kind of bad when I stop at one of these and see the old markers that have weathered to the point that they can't be read anymore. 47 miles without conjuring up a rain.

rounder
08-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Agreed. Will try to post some soom.

Kelly is great. His stuff should be on display.

Roger M
08-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I spent a couple days with the family down in Portland. We didn't get a lot of riding in, but were able to explore a little of the city and the trail system.

Not much for photos either

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_7735.jpg

I did stop by a bike shop that has a nice collection of old stuff. It's 'Velo Cult'

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-08-09_14-37-48_534.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-08-09_14-38-30_621.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-08-09_14-40-21_777.jpg

Jack Brunk
08-12-2012, 02:49 PM
After a grueling 60 mile road ride in the local mountains yesterday, today was supposed to be a recovery mountain bike ride. It's been hot and today was no exception. Got 30 miles in and took a few pics.

beeatnik
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
^Awesome pics.

Being so close to the Santa Monicas and not having a mountain bike is starting to seem unreasonable.

rnhood
08-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Riding around Wytheville, VA today. Big Walker mountain and Blue Grass Highway.

xjoex
08-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Weekend full of riding, Friday I rode to work on some trails.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9xtlUgzCZ1k/UCU5Df7XAdI/AAAAAAAAGNQ/zQcTB4H2RA4/s800/IMG_8620.JPG

Saturday I rode with my wife on "the dots".
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P6HsRgposIY/UCbken3JxtI/AAAAAAAAGO8/QINwOAvHN-c/s800/IMG_8659.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DhlSuQckQRM/UCbkekh3EnI/AAAAAAAAGPA/xr61og7FjPA/s576/IMG_8660.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wsLtf1Esk7s/UCbkfQJ9-xI/AAAAAAAAGPM/bqKq_MYIjEE/s576/IMG_8678.jpg

Today I rode solo... my legs were hurting.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bWQXZdoLzMU/UCggE5KxV3I/AAAAAAAAGP4/MONgtj9gpRo/s800/IMG_8682.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ztXc8kEldNs/UCggFXeNiMI/AAAAAAAAGQA/8DyEVEATxog/s800/IMG_8686.jpg

-Joe

tannhauser
08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
12 hours this weekend, didn't think about the armchair quarterbacks once.

I should impregnate my carbon rims with metal particles. The forum says it's the way to go.

ofcounsel
08-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Temps were in the 90's in Downtown L.A. when I got off work on Thursday, so I headed for the coast to do a early evening ride with a few of my buddies. Temps were in the mid-70's an hour later at Del Cerro Park, in Rancho Palos Verdes. It's a great little park with awesome views of the coastline and Catalina Island.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/PV2.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/CrusinginPV.jpg

xjoex
08-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Temps were in the 90's in Downtown L.A. when I got off work on Thursday, so I headed for the coast to do a early evening ride with a few of my buddies. Temps were in the mid-70's an hour later at Del Cerro Park, in Rancho Palos Verdes. It's a great little park with awesome views of the coastline and Catalina Island.

Cool pic! Looks like he's feet from certain death!

-Joe

ofcounsel
08-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Cool pic! Looks like he's feet from certain death!

-Joe

It's about a 50 foot drop to the cliffs below :)

Ti Designs
08-13-2012, 07:10 AM

I'm confused. Do rides (what you do on a bike) go here, or do rides (bikes) go here?

oliver1850
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I was thinking pics of pics of Ken's Bedford on a ride, not against the garage door. But Roger's pics of bikes he came across on his trip to the shop are welcome too. Anything you saw or did on your bike ride is fine with me. Well, not anything......use some discretion.

Thanks to everyone who's posted ride pics and descriptions.

Roger M
08-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Today's ride was pretty short, but it's one that I do two or three times a week. About 17 miles from home out to Everett to meet my wife at her place of work. Starting to warm up here, mid 80s and calling for mid to high 90s for the next few days... unusually hot for these parts.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-08-15_16-14-44_202.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-08-15_16-34-12_233.jpg

My water bottles went from frozen solid to warm water in less than 30 minutes into the ride

rounder
08-15-2012, 10:33 PM
I was thinking pics of pics of Ken's Bedford on a ride, not against the garage door. But Roger's pics of bikes he came across on his trip to the shop are welcome too. Anything you saw or did on your bike ride is fine with me. Well, not anything......use some discretion.

Thanks to everyone who's posted ride pics and descriptions.

This is a good thread and want to keep it going. The Kelly bike is fine and want to show it someplace other than next to the garage door. Pics are forthcoming.

Jack Brunk
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
With my buddy. got 20 sweet miles in on dusty dirt.

oliver1850
08-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I hadn't ridden in almost a week, so today I did something I only do about once a year: put the bike in the car and travel somewhere else to ride. I've always wanted to ride Carroll and JoDavies counties, so I drove to Mt. Carroll to start. I hit a thunderstorm half way there, although as of this morning there was only a 20% chance of rain. Dry when I got to Mt. Carroll, so I headed up the road to Elizabeth on the bike. Stopped at an antique tractor show and there was lightning to the north, so I turned south towards Savanna, figuring to get back as close to the car as I could before the rain hit. The road I was on skirts along the east side of Mississippi Palisades Park, but there were no entrances open on that side. I got about half way back to Mt. Carroll from Savanna before the rain hit. I'd planned to do another loop, but the Sidis were full of water so I called it a day after only about 2 hours riding. This is a great area to ride. The pictures don't do it justice, a bit of sun and someone who could take a decent photo would make my point. There's gobs of nice gravel, which I avoided today because I didn't want to end up on a mud ride. I rode the CAAD8 CX with Ari's Protons and Conti 28s. Also the first ride on the new Bontrager Affinity saddle from 572cv. Thanks a lot for that Rob, I really like it. I'll be looking for more of them. The next time I go up there I'll put the cross tires back on, and ride where the roads take me, gravel or pavement.

ofcounsel
08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
It was a long work week, so I was really looking forward to getting together with friends for a Saturday morning ride. Weather in SoCal has been scorching the last couple of weeks, so in order to get a jump on the heat, we started our ride at 6am. The plan called for a 40 mile loop, starting at the corner of Glendora Mountain Road (GMR) and Sierra Madre Blvd. From there we were going to head up GMR to Glendora Ridge Road (GRR), then on to Mount Baldy Village, down Mt. Baldy Road then heading West to where we started.

GMR is a slow and steady 5% climb, covering about 2500 feet in elevation gain in about 9 miles. Getting to the top so early in the morning is a refreshing accomplishment!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/photo22-1.jpg

The peak provides a great place to take a breather and wait for everyone in regroup at the top.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/390904_811365015926_58113119_n.jpg

While we were waiting for the stragglers, on of my buddies happen to compliment me on my fashion forward socks.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/527948_811352336336_1538647194_n.jpg

Upon regrouping, we set out to tackle GRR. A couple of us took off in the lead. The first 5 or 6 miles of GRR are rolling with some relatively short climbs and a few short but speedy downhills. With me was my buddy Dustin, a club motorcycle racer like myself. Dustin's never ridden GRR before, but given that he's a motorcycle racer, speed doesn't phase him. So he takes the lead on one of these short decents. As we get to the apex one of the blind corners, we encounter a field of 2 to 3 inch rocks that have broken off the mountain wall. Dustin happens to hit one of the rocks with his rear tire, which immediately punctures. The bike hops around a bit, and it looks like he's gonna get it under control, when all of a sudden the tire comes right off the rim and he gets thrown off the bike!

Dustin hit hard and slid on both sides of his body before coming to a stop. He was pretty beat up.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/562807_10151346322372067_527419922_n.jpg

Both cheeks looked about the same. Dustin was bummed because he ruined his favorite bibs. His left arm was hurting really bad, and it was later diagnosed as a fractured upper humerus. In no shape to ride, we tried calling 911 to get a paramedic up for him, but GRR is too remote, and none of us had any cell service. So about the only thing to do was for a couple of us to ride down the mountain far down enough to make a call, while a few others kept him company.

So me and a few other of my friends did that. Then rode the rest of the way down the mountain to get our cars.

Once at my car, I put my bike in the rack, and headed back up GMR to make sure everything turned out ok.

LA County Fire responded quickly, by the time I got back up there (an I was moving up the mountain briskly in my 335i), the Fire Department had already packed up my buddy and were about to proceed down the mountain. I followed them back down the mountain.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/photo21-2.jpg

LA County Fire dropped Dustin off right at his car, as we figured we could unload his gear and get him to the hospital on our own. Very cool of them. In spite of his injuries, Dustin was in good spirits. He got to live out one of his childhood dreams: getting to ride in a fire truck!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/photo20-1.jpg

As for the rest of us, we cut the ride short at about 30 miles round trip, we'll have to tackle the rest of GRR and the Mt. Baldy decent some other day.

krhea
08-20-2012, 01:42 AM
We decided to do an easy effort climbing ride this morning. Took off from Troutdale, OR and rode the Columbia Gorge Scenic Hwy up to Larch Mtn road where the real "fun" begins...in the form a steady 14mile climb up to just over 4000'.
We started in great cycling weather, cool, dry and little to no wind but once we entered the Larch Mtn corridor and gained a bit of elevation the weather began to change becoming foggy with drizzle. 2.5 miles before the summit the sun suddenly burst through the fog and tree cover and a great photo op presented itself:

Easy to see the drizzle on the lens in this pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/KRhea/Friends%20bikes%20and%20ride%20pics/CIMG1422.jpg

Similar shot with a less drizzle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/KRhea/Friends%20bikes%20and%20ride%20pics/CIMG1424.jpg

The round trip is just shy of 50miles.

Fixed
08-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Nice you guys stopped I have crashed on rides only to look up and see the group riding off in the distance , lonely feeling laying on the ground .
Cheers

palincss
08-20-2012, 07:07 AM
I was in Lancaster County, PA last weekend for Sunday's Covered Bridge Metric. I drove up Saturday morning, parked at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum and rode the Lancaster Bicycle Club's Hunsecker Covered Bridge ride on my own. I took some photos along the route.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7822811720_ea8d16165a_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7128/7822813128_82f1cf1ef2_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7822811182_c05fc2255d_c.jpg

Slideshow here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97916047@N00/sets/72157631157742832/show/

northbend
08-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Rode the Crater Lake Century with some friends on Saturday.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj140/northbend/P1050453.jpg

rounder
08-20-2012, 09:56 AM
I rode on one of my favorite rides yesterday. It is a 30-mile loop that goes through farm country. The ride starts from home and goes Susquehenna State Park and farm country.

rain dogs
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
We did a weekend trip up to the Kootneys in British Columbia (just North of Spokane). The ride was a fundraiser and we got to explore some of the more beautiful riding in the country.

The Trip started in New Denver, BC went south along Slocan Lake and then headed east at the Junction up into the steep Nelson hills where we finished Day 1 at Kootney Lake.

Day two went East along Kootney Lake and then doglegged North to Kaslo where we rode over the Valley of Ghosts pass up and back down to New Denver.

Here are some select pics of my GF and I riding around. It's amazing around those parts. Reminds me of Switzerland.

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/msbike1.jpg

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/msbike2.jpg

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/msbike3.jpg

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/msbike5.jpg

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/msbike6.jpg

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/msbike7.jpg

http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/cimacoppiwooljerseynd.jpg

xjoex
08-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I mtn biked with my wife on Saturday.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Q54OM8NfhB8/UDA4APLD1HI/AAAAAAAAGTk/1Dbp8-M4kyc/s720/IMG_8801.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kyqoRLI6AxI/UDA3_AjcHMI/AAAAAAAAGTQ/-wkuoqTMjBw/s720/IMG_8795.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D8U1yJ4LagU/UDA39lhxzzI/AAAAAAAAGS4/bL0pZcn3cAQ/s720/IMG_8776.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZzqoG7odfC0/UDA39nw8GsI/AAAAAAAAGS8/iQBwrU4XfUg/s912/IMG_8773.jpg

Thursday was a group ride.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_Z4HkkxN0cA/UDMPx7iqUdI/AAAAAAAAGW4/3AHcV_rdjLY/s720/IMG_8703.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KcXZruSci00/UDMPwt7arMI/AAAAAAAAGWY/QaMaPYIxyV0/s720/IMG_8698.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JR7xdKdZEA0/UDMPwk0W9DI/AAAAAAAAGWM/OUYiHFuxPiM/s912/IMG_8699.jpg

Sunday was a hike.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-supe_MzjxH0/UDFb7bgC7aI/AAAAAAAAGUY/fhCFoCLmwBQ/s720/IMG_8814.jpg

-Joe

christian
08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Friday: Part of the JPow Grand Fundo route with johnsegal and my lovely wife

Saturday: D2R2 with johnsegal, happycampyer, and my lovely wife
http://www.christianedstrom.com/D2R2/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 031.jpg

http://www.christianedstrom.com/D2R2/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 034.jpg

http://www.christianedstrom.com/D2R2/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 038.jpg

http://www.christianedstrom.com/D2R2/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 040.jpg

Sunday: Nothing

Monday (am): 50k through North Castle, Bedford, and New Castle, solo
http://www.christianedstrom.com/Ride_20120820/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 044.jpg

http://www.christianedstrom.com/Ride_20120820/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 046.jpg

http://www.christianedstrom.com/Ride_20120820/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 048.jpg

Monday (later am): Riding balance bike and Merckx at the local elementary with my oldest
http://www.christianedstrom.com/Bikes_Matty/2012_08_20_Bike_riding_D2R2_kids 053.jpg

http://www.christianedstrom.com/Bikes_Matty/Matty_Christian_Riding_Bikes_08202012.jpg

AngryScientist
08-21-2012, 10:40 AM
nice pics christian, what bike did you use for d2r2?

christian
08-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Merckx MX Leader. 23mm Michelin Pro4 Service Course (biggest that will fit). Four flats and one big cut that had to be booted with duct tape. Not so bad all in all.

(I have downsized to one bike, so its Merckx or nothing.)

AngryScientist
08-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Merckx MX Leader. 23mm Michelin Pro4 Service Course (biggest that will fit). Four flats and one big cut that had to be booted with duct tape. Not so bad all in all.

(I have downsized to one bike, so its Merckx or nothing.)

impressive sir. that's good new too though, i want to head out that way and ride some of those roads, and would like to ride the bike that has the 24mm open paves on it, this validates that.

oliver1850
08-24-2012, 11:32 PM
I've really enjoyed seeing all the great pics. I hope Dustin's cheeks are looking better.

Here's a couple from today. Main St. USA, a couple of guys shingling a church steeple, some sheep in need of something to eat, and one of about a dozen blue herons I saw on the path.

Germany_chris
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
The final destination of today's ride the Schloss Platz in the center of Stuttgart.

oliver1850
08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Today was the Illinois Valley Wheelmen's (Peoria) No Baloney century, the 2nd one this summer to pass within 10 miles of my house. I rode over to the route around 9:30, riding the course in the reverse direction. I met a few riders, then decided to join in. The first pic is T..., a triathlete from STL. After I caught him, I could see he was struggling a bit, and it was a long way to the finish into a 15 - 20 mph head wind. I told him to sit on my wheel, and we rode that way 95% of the 42 miles to the finish. A really nice guy with an interesting job that I'd like to have heard more about, but the wind made it hard. Said goodbye, and headed back home, again against the flow of traffic. I was surprised to see how many riders were still out there, some of them obviously struggling badly. About 10 miles from where I originally joined the course, an organizer stopped me and asked if I was lost. They were obviously taking care of everyone, and he said they'd organized a trailer to haul a bunch of bikes from the last rest stop to the finish. Felt bad for those folks, as they missed the only lengthy downhill section, after doing most of the hard parts. I ended up with around 94 miles and a lot more sunburn than I would have expected this time of year.

xjoex
08-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Nice pics Oliver, thanks for keeping this post alive.

After watching the USA Pro Challenge go by, we went out riding.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6D4tsQ3JJCU/UDl6X7uXhJI/AAAAAAAAGZk/zsUFEucoF30/s640/IMG_9016.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HFBeKkxZW0U/UDl6XuQ4nRI/AAAAAAAAGZc/D_DbUL8U_oM/s800/IMG_9013.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vJ9plIoDOX0/UDl6XDHWNjI/AAAAAAAAGZU/9ZCfbniTwPY/s800/IMG_9011.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Yr900rSI3MI/UDl6WoTPx9I/AAAAAAAAGZE/V6ZKkO4uxtM/s800/IMG_9010.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SdhPVZk0gm0/UDl6W_njnvI/AAAAAAAAGZM/lxcIsez5p8M/s800/IMG_9007.jpg

The trails were awesome.

-Joe

oliver1850
08-25-2012, 10:52 PM
What part of CO, Joe? I'd love to ride trails like those.

Is VeloSwap happening this year? I haven't been for a number of years, but this year harvest might be early enough to make the trip possible.

Jack Brunk
08-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Almost 40 miles in the dirt today with my good bud Chris. The 4400 feet of climbing today seemed easy. Not sure why. Firefly maybe?

gomango
08-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Our group rode over to the Wheels of Italy show in St. Louis Park, MN.

We arrived a little too early, so I swung back over by myself a little later with the camera.

Here are various mixed pics, with more in my signature link below if you should like to look at a bunch of Ferraris, Ducatis and Moto Guzzis.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7866457778_b215eb33a8_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/7866439706_5bcccf9fef_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7111/7866441384_58a374be68_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8436/7866440614_35f5d4b827_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/7866442158/sizes/o/in/photostream/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7866447234_ebed508501_o.jpg

malcolm
08-26-2012, 03:01 PM
short ride in the woods, not as much climbing as Jack. Had the whole crew with me.

oliver1850
08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Grady, looks like fun. Wish I'd had pics of that Basso when I decaled mine.

gomango
08-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Grady, looks like fun. Wish I'd had pics of that Basso when I decaled mine.

Thanks.

Those bicycles were spotless, especially the Basso and Cinelli.

I'll have a bunch at the show next year.

We had a blast though at WOI today, including a white knuckle ride on a Ducati Monster.

Which reminds me, I owe you some measurements! I'll re-measure and send them as soon as I get home.

bluesea
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Cross posted on the Pegoretti thread at the other side.

About 1000' in less than 3mi. Last pic is hill #2 at a similar elevation. Still learn'in what this Peg is all about. These satellite maps are pretty cool.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5636247

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8035/7883800904_1e9c0d40de_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/7883806066_1f1daa882a_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8441/7883808752_8c86cd9007_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8436/7883803582_96dfaa8231_b.jpg

Fixed
08-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow amazing photos
Thanks made my night
Cheers

Steve in SLO
08-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Bluesea,
I used to run up that road after being on call at Kapiolani.
That's a toughie in heat/humidity.
Great pics with memories for me.
Thanks!

bluesea
08-28-2012, 08:40 PM
For your pleasure, Fixed. :beer:

Steve,
You're welcome. Its great to meet others who have left their tracks on these trails!

Roger M
08-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Most of my miles in the last couple of weeks have been with my kids.

Mt daughter and I managed 30 miles on the tandem. We started out on a LBS group ride, but our speed was quite a bit slower than the rest of the group. We ended up pealing off on our own.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/2012-08-25_13-58-31_359.jpg

My son pulled me for five miles on the Centennial trail.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_8065.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_8074.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_8088.jpg

The days are getting shorter, gotta get out more while the weather is here

bluesea
08-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Another day, another couple of hills. Took an easy roll up the Pali, then a sidetrack up Kamehame Ridge which *must* be one of the steepest hills on the southeast side.

Nuuanu Pali Dr
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8309/7897481044_ba96b5ce71_b.jpg

It gets steeper than this at the top
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/7897478870_cb8d65829a_b.jpg

First stop at about 900', Rabbit Island down below
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8175/7897484660_e795be84f9_b.jpg

1250' according to Elevation Pro, about 1100' in 2 mi
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8461/7897486786_e8e0f5fa7d_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8443/7897477322_ea47f751cd_b.jpg

The obligatory view of Diamond Head
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/7897475088_a2ecf90dba_b.jpg

gdw
08-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Most of my rides start at dusk so pictures are rare. I rode for an hour and a half with a friend on some of the local trails this evening and watched the moon rise.

Jack Brunk
08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Since it's right out my house I'm spoiled and lazy to drive somewhere after work. 20 miles of single track and only one other rider seen. A little muggy and hot. Firefly is like therapy for the soul.

bambam
09-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Rode a 110 mile loop to visit High Bridge. Great History on the Bridge and a President was even there for the opening.
Currently in use Train bridge.

http://frontierfolk.org/highbrky.htm

oliver1850
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Nice bridge. I'm not sure I'd want to be on a train that crosses it though.

Last night I rode out and did a lap around the local lake development. Tamest deer I've ever seen. They will stand in the yards while you talk to them. Saw a good sized flock of turkeys too. 90+ and humid, so 45 miles was enough for me.

junkfood
09-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I always forget to grab a camera when I go for a ride but I grabbed it today.
Riding along the river on my way out of town I snapped a few pics. Saw a nice Redtail Hawk up close but it took flight right as I turned my camera on. I am a huge fan of raptors so I was disappointed I did not get a good pic when I was so close.

Jake

http://www.jakebeeson.com/junkfood11005.jpg

http://www.jakebeeson.com/junkfood21005.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
31st Street ped bridge! I used to ride across there all the time. I lived in the apartment right there on the corner of 31st & Riverside. I'd ride up the trail over west of downtown, then eventually out Old North Road to Keystone, across the dam to the store in the park for some fluid, then back along the south side of the river and eventually cross here to get home.

BBD

I always forget to grab a camera when I go for a ride but I grabbed it today.
Riding along the river on my way out of town I snapped a few pics. Saw a nice Redtail Hawk up close but it took flight right as I turned my camera on. I am a huge fan of raptors so I was disappointed I did not get a good pic when I was so close.

Jake

http://www.jakebeeson.com/junkfood11005.jpg

http://www.jakebeeson.com/junkfood21005.jpg

junkfood
09-06-2012, 05:01 PM
31st Street ped bridge! I used to ride across there all the time. I lived in the apartment right there on the corner of 31st & Riverside. I'd ride up the trail over west of downtown, then eventually out Old North Road to Keystone, across the dam to the store in the park for some fluid, then back along the south side of the river and eventually cross here to get home.

BBD

Nice! Glad to strike up some Nostalgia. I take that route occasionally also. I live in the neighborhood over by riverwest park where they have Oktoberfest and such. The area is great for access to the trails and nice routes that can get you out of town relatively easy.

Jake

oliver1850
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the pics everyone.

Today I played roving bike mechanic. I rode to a friend's place to help with his new build, we rode for a while together on the maiden run, then seperated to our different directions home. Perfect day to ride here, wish I'd gotten more miles, but 50 is 50 more than I'll get tomorrow as it's supposed to be wet here.

Jack Brunk
09-06-2012, 09:57 PM
25 miles on Hampsten tonight. Damn bike is just effin awesome. Muggy and hot here in Socal. New gearing is aleady a tad easier.

xjoex
09-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I rode the CX bike for the last two days. It's been great.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qUG4XnWb3JM/UEgh57T6uSI/AAAAAAAAGnI/Lyj1Ym14fyk/s640/IMG_9294.jpg

And I saw two moose!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jwXv9G7K-sc/UEgiOl-rDjI/AAAAAAAAGnY/SZHc18rKGek/s912/IMG_9310.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x8qnVDikBbk/UEgiNKP3kyI/AAAAAAAAGnQ/_MEaaWvXGd0/s912/IMG_9316.jpg

-Joe

oliver1850
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
take those moose pics down, Christian will be out there blasting them.

572cv
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
This is one of the routes I take on a regular basis. The view is easterly to the Green Mountains from Charlotte, long evening light, across the Champlain Valley. Sometimes it just takes your breath away.

bluesea
09-19-2012, 10:06 PM
This first hill is about 2mi to the top with 1100' of climbing. Just got a couple of quick pics. The next I believe is also about 1100', with another view of Diamond Head.

Diamond Head
http://imageshack.us/a/img33/2307/halekoa2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/8352/halekoa3.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img20/3084/waahila1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/3514/waahila2.jpg

efuentes
09-19-2012, 10:23 PM
From a while back ...

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z111/mundofuentes/arideacrossthebays/S5030121.png

http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/a-trip-across-sinaloas-northern-bays/

oliver1850
09-21-2012, 02:11 AM
2nd ride for me Thursday on the Colorado AL that I built last Friday. A trip to the PO with bits for forum members turned into a 50 mile loop.I passed on this the first time it was listed on ebay, but the seller dropped the price on the 2nd listing and 1 bid was enough. Frameset is nearly perfect, a bit of TT decal scuffing is the only flaw. Simple build with R550 crankset, Tiagra and FSA ders., 7400/Open 4 wheels and Tektro brakes. The 8 speed cassette is an 11-30, but I used a 7 speed 105 shifters with the 11 cog limited out. Thanks to dustyrider, litespeedmike, guygadois for parts and tsarpepe for pointing out the original listing.

rounder
09-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Went for a ride on vacation in Maine last week with my CIII. No pictures...lost my phone day before when i flipped my kayak to avoid crashing into a sailboat in Camden Harbor (phone drowned. also lost my sun glasses and kelly bedford hat). Anyway, weather was beautiful all week. Next day, went on a ride from Swan Lake in Belfast down Rte. 1 to Bayside down to Saturday Cove and back (about 40 miles). Not much traffic. Penobscot Bay is beautiful.

Roger M
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Spent a couple days near Hood River, OR last week. My son and I did some exploring.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/ThomasattheColumbiaRiverHoodRiver.jpg

Peter B
09-21-2012, 11:09 PM
This morning I awoke with an acute eye disorder: I just couldn't see myself going in to work. Instead I spent 4 hours in therapy.

I feel much better now. :)

Fixed
09-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Great pictures and fantastic bikes
Thanks for sharing
I rode the trainer and watched a Kelly slater surf Video about big wave riding in Tahiti ,It was pretty awesome if you like that sort of thing
Cheers :)

cat6
09-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Daughters of Mara was a rockband based in Los Angeles, California. The group included the singer Shawn Zuzek, the former The Mars Volta drummer Dave Elitch, the lead guitarist from Submersed Eric Friedman and the current bassist in Marilyn Manson Andy Gerold. Daughters Of Mara's first album, I Am Destroyer, was produced by Garth Richardson (Mudvayne, Rage Against The Machine) and was released on Virgin Records. The group disbanded in 2008. The album was remastered and re-released in 2012.

gdw
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I rode up to the Continental Divide Sunday. The weather was excellent.

oliver1850
10-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Nice pics above. Thanks everyone.

Today I had the first ride on the Terraplane. I hadn't had a ride over 5 miles in a month, so was happy to get out for 38 miles despite the cool weather.

junkfood
10-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Today I had the first ride on the Terraplane. I hadn't had a ride over 5 miles in a month, so was happy to get out for 38 miles despite the cool weather.

Nice!! I did not realize you got that Terraplane. Glad you got to get it out for a ride!

Jake

xjoex
10-20-2012, 11:33 PM
That Kirk looks great!

Friday ride before work. I was a bit late getting in...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3aXw641Vg9k/UIF8xtJMkVI/AAAAAAAAHVk/3Vq6u7DHGjM/s912/IMG_9872.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D69jryCzaeQ/UIF8xl68N4I/AAAAAAAAHVg/R2QuIl37Y9A/s912/IMG_9879.jpg

Today I skipped riding, took the pups up a mountain.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e-LM435SHHk/UINt73MexTI/AAAAAAAAHeo/YaxtWymdaeI/s912/PA200383.jpg

Tomorrow some singletrack is on deck.

-Joe

gomango
10-21-2012, 06:13 AM

Great pics, great build on the Terraplane.

Looks like a fantastic decision to pick up that beauty.

Btw Mark and Jake-a certain red Univega Gran Touring frameset is heading to Minnesota.

Gravel roads and commuting. On goes the tri color. :)

Tandem Rider
10-21-2012, 08:13 AM
No pics, but got in 50 on gravel. Took 2 weeks off, 1st ride back, felt good, Still lots of colorful leaves on the trees but they are dropping fast. 4 hours on tap for tomorrow, probably do most of it on gravel.

malcolm
10-21-2012, 09:01 AM
kinda ot but that is a beautiful dog, choc lab?

djg
10-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Nothing dramatic ride-wise yesterday. A short and very mellow spin with my two daughters. Hit the rollers for half an hour later to wind things up a little.

OTOH, for the younger one (10), it was her first time on a road bike, so that was kinda cool.

junkfood
10-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Great pics, great build on the Terraplane.

Looks like a fantastic decision to pick up that beauty.

Btw Mark and Jake-a certain red Univega Gran Touring frameset is heading to Minnesota.

Gravel roads and commuting. On goes the tri color. :)

Nice! Glad you wound up with it. Looking forward to how you build it out.

Jake

William
10-21-2012, 03:05 PM
No pictures today but... just got back from doing a 25+ miler with my son through sunny NE countryside full of beautiful fall foliage.

William

Jack Brunk
10-21-2012, 03:44 PM
25K trail run yeaterday followed up with 30 miles on the mountain bike. Weather was just about perfect.

Mountain Flyer Magazine is the best.

AngryScientist
10-21-2012, 03:49 PM
a beautiful fall foliage day.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-np9Tihy0u0k/UIRU0UOPPSI/AAAAAAAAA4Q/OqoSbBveyac/s640/IMG_1071.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AW_IEmjJfWo/UIRU8jULMOI/AAAAAAAAA4g/45SIX3Qzyq4/s640/IMG_1075.JPG

Bruce K
10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Great New England morning. Crisp air, bright sunshine, and a good group of cycling buddies.

52 miles to Newburyport for coffee and bagels.

BK

Tony T
10-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Great New England morning.

Afternoon also :)
120mi w/e (59 today, 61 yesterday)

Andrewlcox
10-27-2012, 10:18 PM

How did it ride compared to your other bikes? Did you have dialed in or does it need tweaking? Btw, those roads look familiar.

Andy

fourflys
10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
from my ride today...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-f6dr6C9/0/XL/P1000123-XL.jpg

johngmartin
10-28-2012, 10:25 AM
A sprint down the Minuteman Trail and back this weekend. One of the last warm fall days of the year up here in Boston.

http://i.imgur.com/BdrFn.jpg

Roger M
11-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Got in 30 miles out near Snohomish,Wa., before the rains came yesterday. Some of these roads are pretty slick now, with all of the leaves and moisture. It's getting more difficult to get in rides when it's daylight and somewhat dry.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_8461.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Got in 30 miles before the rains came yesterday. Some of these roads are pretty slick now, with all of the leaves and moisture. It's getting more difficult to get in rides when it's daylight and somewhat dry.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/Bikes%20and%20Stuff/Stan%20Johnson/IMG_8461.jpg

Where? :confused:

BBD

Roger M
11-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Where? :confused:

BBD

Snohomish, WA

Sorry, forgot to include that

Jack Brunk
11-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Trail run half marathon plus(14.3 miles) on Santa Cruz Island park of the Channel Islands National Park. Awesome day on really rugged trails. On the ride back we ran into a huge pod that the captain said was between 2-3 thousand Dolphins. Epic day!

Roger M
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow, it got dark fast today. Got in a short ride before/at dusk. I learned something new(to me) about picture taking. Adjusting the white balance manually, does make a difference.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_8479.jpg

The island of misfit pumpkins, and the obligatory bike shot. Haven't logged a lot of miles on this bike yet, but it is really a sweet ride.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/72tunaboat/IMG_8474minusbrightness.jpg

GuyGadois
11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
No pics today but I played half hooky and went out for a 29 miler befor it got dark. It reach 98.1 today! It was probably about 88 when I got out and it was a dream ride with the beautiful colors of the grape leaves turning all sorts of colors. I'll get pics on tomorrow's ride.

GG

rounder
11-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Nice bike,Mark.

Flew to St. Louis yesterday and drove 120 miles to Jefferson City for work. Went to the bike shop earlier in the day and dropped off two bottles of red for the guy who built my bike. They asked how i liked it. It was a new cross bike and looks beautiful (to me). Hand is still wrecked and out of service but getting better. Hoping for a ride next weekend.

ckamp
11-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Ride today with a crisp 19.4F sunny morning.

Reminder: Don't ever forget winter shoe covers!

oliver1850
11-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Andy, I'm hoping you'll get to form your own opinion of the Kirk before the snow gets too deep.

Ken: What's the new bike? How did you hurt your hand?

Corey: Bigger pics please, I don't think I've seen the Casati close up.

thanks to everyone for posting.

Here's a few from my last couple of rides, one on the Kirk and the latest on the Titan. I don't know the story on the name "Snareville", will have to look into it. I didn't ride the gravel road on the Kirk, there isn't enough clearance with the 28s. The road looks promising though. The combine pic is for Christian, or any other Massey fans out there.

Thanks to everyone for posting.

jmeloy
11-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Got in 30 in KC yesterday but it was 15 miles out into a headwind gusting to 40. Ride back was a blast, ride out was a battle!

spiderman
11-11-2012, 12:34 PM
My wife and I had an all tailwind ride
To Jackson mn where we met my mom
For lunch. On our way home we saw our friend
Out on her own battling the 30mph wind
Gusting to 40...
She needed a wheel and some lunch.
We made it home by sunset.

azrider
11-11-2012, 02:38 PM
or any other Massey fans out there.
i was guessing it was a Gleaner :)

vav
11-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Perfect day in NE for a fall ride. Temps around 60, sunny, just perfect.
The bike is plusher than plush, even running 23 tires it soaks bumps like no other bike I 've had before. Really comfy ride all around. And can't say enough about Romin saddles. Ever since I swapped my Fiziks for Romins, my butt is a happy butt. :p

PaMtbRider
11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Beautiful weather in Pa for riding today. My wife and I got 60 very casual miles in today.

oliver1850
11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
i was guessing it was a Gleaner :)

Might be the same thing these days, as Agco owns Gleaner and Massey. Not sure if there's a recent model Gleaner running anywhere near me. I was surprised to see the Massey only 12 miles away. This is Deere/Case country, although I see NewHolland making some inroads.

christian
11-11-2012, 09:37 PM
The combine pic is for Christian, or any other Massey fans out there.Appreciated! Volvo 544s and B210s are also always of interest! :)

Tandem Rider
11-12-2012, 06:00 AM
This is Deere/Case country, although I see NewHolland making some inroads.[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember hearing that Fiat now owns Case New Holland which produces New Holland equipment, but I could be hallucinating...

I do know that the CNH backhoe plant I occasionally go past has New Holland harvester heads out on the yard (both red and blue ones). They are just a couple hundred yards south of the pink backhoe.

zap
11-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Great weather this weekend.

Tandem ride (2.5 hrs) Saturday-tested new Spec Romin saddle which turned out to be a total pos. Swapped for a Romin Evo which I will be testing today.

Hooked up with a shop ride yesterday. Fortunately two blokes (aka Firefly boys) wanted to go further out for a longer ride. Good for me as I need to get my cycling legs going again. Firefly boys rode good tempo and I did my best to match their pace. Three point five hour ride.

I did inspect both Firefly frames closely and both looked great. Definitely top tier frames with details surpassing the likes of Moots.

Sorry, no pics.

rounder
11-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Andy, I'm hoping you'll get to form your own opinion of the Kirk before the snow gets too deep.

Ken: What's the new bike? How did you hurt your hand?

Corey: Bigger pics please, I don't think I've seen the Casati close up.

thanks to everyone for posting.

Here's a few from my last couple of rides, one on the Kirk and the latest on the Titan. I don't know the story on the name "Snareville", will have to look into it. I didn't ride the gravel road on the Kirk, there isn't enough clearance with the 28s. The road looks promising though. The combine pic is for Christian, or any other Massey fans out there.

Thanks to everyone for posting.

The bike is a KB and is in the custom gallery. Must have whacked my hand against something while working in the basement..It is still weak but getting better.

nighthawk
11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Perfect day in NE for a fall ride. Temps around 60, sunny, just perfect.
The bike is plusher than plush, even running 23 tires it soaks bumps like no other bike I 've had before. Really comfy ride all around. And can't say enough about Romin saddles. Ever since I swapped my Fiziks for Romins, my butt is a happy butt. :p
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=105707&stc=1&d=1352666733

Nice to see the PVD drawbridge again. I dropped a paper bag full of 40oz's off the tracks going out to that bridge when i was a teenager. It's a long story.

fourflys
11-12-2012, 03:54 PM
got out for a little dirt today while the sun was out... temp was high 30's/low 40's...

Road were a little frosty getting to the trailhead...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-rNkZnQZ/0/L/P1000179-L.jpg

The trails were a little warmer I guess...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-chggRm4/0/L/P1000180-L.jpg

The mighty Pacific at a scenic overlook
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-KHr3XRf/0/L/P1000183-L.jpg

Some may have other hazards, but this is what I have to be aware of...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-8cNqNpS/0/L/P1000190-L.jpg

It sure is pretty here...
http://threeflys.smugmug.com/Cycling/Riding-in-Kodiak/i-WGDrrMC/0/L/P1000192-L.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
It was just about as perfect a weather forecast as you could ask for this weekend in upstate NY. Saturday I got in 30 miles with a friend here in the Albany metro area.

Then yesterday I journeyed westward for 50 miles in the rural countryside between Albany and Utica with forum buddy Maxdog. It was between 55-60 degrees, the sun was shining, the breeze light, the roads well maintained (for the most part) and almost deserted. These pics are from our adventure out there.

Then today I got in 55 more with friends Eric and Alan in southern Albany county, No pics from there, we just rode and enjoyed the stellar weather of over 60 degrees and sunny for the most part. Eric veered off to head home after 15 miles, so Alan and I headed off into the Helderbergs and went--well, it seemed just about everywhere!

Today's ride put me over 5000 miles for the year for only the second time ever and with the weather going like this I'm hopeful of putting at least several hundred more miles on the clock before New Year's! so a great, fun, productive weekend on the bike!

BBD

monkeybanana86
11-12-2012, 09:56 PM
I have been hitting the dirt three days straight. Never spent so much time on a bike for such little mileage haha
Special thanks to Matt (Mr Cabletwitch) for stripping down his bike and selling it to me and answering my newbie questions (we had about 30 e-mail exchanges)

Didn't know what cassette to buy and boy did those 32 teeth come in handy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/jesuisyann/IMG_2008-Version2.jpg

Can you spot San Quentin?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/jesuisyann/IMG_2006-Version2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/jesuisyann/IMG_2022-Version2.jpg

These grips were perfect for the weekend. They had been sitting in my closet for years and they happen to be blue!
http://www.global-flat.com/upload/parts/2004-11-13-23-47-48bigcheesegrips.jpg

malcolm
11-13-2012, 09:44 AM
About 10 miles of single track and double track/jeep road in los cabos. Apparently they've had considerably more rain this year and everything is way more green that usual with lots of flowers and butterflies. It was a touristy sort of trip but my wife and I were the only ones that showed up so it was just us and the guides so we got to do a little more rambling around than usual. Lots of sand made it interesting in spots.

n_maher
11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
The weather in NH this weekend was amazing and probably summer's last gasp. After discovering a love of road biking this year I decided a couple of months ago that it made sense to rekindle my affair with my MTB. 3 ride on an ancient ('97) Gary Fisher made it clear that something newer was in order. So last week a leftover 2012 Cannondale Jekyll 3 was procured and Saturday it was ready to ride. I didn't manage to get out of the yard until yesterday but it was worth the wait for temps in the high 60s and relatively dry riding conditions. I got a 6 mile loop in at my local area (Exeter, NH) and had a ton of fun on an amazing machine.

http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/147289089.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/147289082.jpg

oliver1850
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I built a state of the art (circa 1997) steel Serotta MTB last year. Riding that bike where it was meant to be ridden is work. What's your Jekyll weigh? Is it the weight that's the main improvement, or suspension quality?

oliver1850
11-13-2012, 02:48 PM

n_maher
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I built a state of the art (circa 1997) steel Serotta MTB last year. Riding that bike where it was meant to be ridden is work. What's your Jekyll weigh? Is it the weight that's the main improvement, or suspension quality?

Weight is around 30lbs and the suspension is what makes a huge difference.

oliver1850
11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Nearly winter here with fall field work winding down, but we're having a warm spell. I was tuning up a friends old Allez earlier in the week and rode it over to him yesterday. 3 hours on the bike including photo stops, not much for scenery especially with the hazy humidity that goes with warm temps this time of year. I was surprised how well the old Suntour friction bar cons work with 9 speed. The bike is 2 sizes too small for me, and 3 too small for him, but I enjoyed riding it anyway. FastVegan may remember the Heliums, as he sat at his table at the Chicago swap meet peeling the loose tread off one of the Vittorias. I glued it back on, can't even tell which one it was now. Some day my cheapness is going 'splode on me, but so far, so good. The barn photo is the Barn Burner Recording Studio. Closed now, as I recall it was 24 track and some pretty well known people recorded there. USS Norway is for Iowegian, and any other 'wegions present.

azrider
11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Nearly winter here with fall field work winding down, but we're having a warm spell.

crazy weather year for you guys....great pics as always. Love that area.

rounder
11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Went on a 30 mile loop today. The weather was about 50 which was warmer than normal for this time of year. Saw two deer, a hawk on a line,and lots of geese, cows and horses.

oliver1850
11-23-2012, 09:05 PM
I like the surface of that gravel, it's not going to kick too many rocks at the new bike. What's the bridge?

xjoex
11-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Great weekend for riding so far!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jiaNXgZ89TA/UK7hp0RtqtI/AAAAAAAAIZ4/50XxYOQrjfE/s640/PB220079.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-t-qip2lSpvQ/UK7g5Wa4F5I/AAAAAAAAIZI/0w0MRpnBsgY/s640/PB220006.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7SY1tqRiGG4/UK7hyQ8UfiI/AAAAAAAAIaA/WuAXy512LSo/s912/PB220102.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QSMOUX52W5c/UK_5FpFFFrI/AAAAAAAAIdU/cGo-gnGiJ3E/s912/PB230023.jpg

-Joe

rounder
11-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I like the surface of that gravel, it's not going to kick too many rocks at the new bike. What's the bridge?

It is the rte 95 bridge over the Susquehanna river. It is in havre de grace, md at the entrance to Chesapeake bay.

oliver1850
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
We pulled the Porsche TransAm and IMSA cars over that bridge several times, from the shop in NJ to Summit Point, Daytona, Miami, Palm Beach.

Jack Brunk
11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Just touch under 40 miles today with 4800 feet of climbing on the Primus Mootry to test out it's new clothes. Got some new Hollowgrams along with a new XO 10 speed grip shifters, RD and cassette. Temps in the 80's made for a really hot ride. In one pics you can see the ocean has a cloud cover but it pretty shallow and only made it to PCH. Hollowgram cranks are by far and away the best cranks ever to hit the market. I can't believe the difference in how stiff they are.

AngryScientist
11-24-2012, 03:53 PM
i didnt stop for many pics, but i got in some nice riding this weekend. it was seasonably warm over the last few days, good fall weather riding. about 4 hrs on turkey day morning too!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZrF56SFkVro/UK7wWPkNjLI/AAAAAAAAA-A/w01K0Ju6E_4/s640/IMG_1116.JPG

Bruce K
11-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Fun ride today with BBDave and a couple of Cat2 Women I am freindly with up along the coast from Gloucester to Rockport and around Cape Ann.

Dave behaved and they didn't drop us.

Beautiful New England late fall day. Just a wee bit breezy made for some serious pedaling at times.

Fun morning.

BK

bluesea
11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
From this morning. A quick sun-in-your-face view of the Peg in its new livery so to speak.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8215674106_11960bba6b_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8215674106/)
PegCampy1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/8215674106/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

rounder
11-24-2012, 06:34 PM
We pulled the Porsche TransAm and IMSA cars over that bridge several times, from the shop in NJ to Summit Point, Daytona, Miami, Palm Beach.

Cool. I was at Summit Point a few times years ago. Was working in Orlando last year and watched cars lapping Daytona while a Jeep fest was going on.

I saw Greg LeMond and Davis Phinney race in the Tour de Trump around the Baltimore inner harbor. Watching the ALCS and Indy cars racing around the same inner harbor at 150+ (last two years) was one of the insanest things i ever saw. Can't imagine what it must have been like being part of that racing scene.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2012, 06:54 PM
. . . to misbehave!

Bruce says next time I visit he will ask his other friend to ride with us to REALLY give me a workout . . . some guy named Lemond?

And "wee bit breezy" my A**! More like a hurricane gale coming from all directions at once! I had no opportunity whatsoever to get out the camera!

There was also the traffic . . . narrow roads, lots of cars, and it didn't make no difference--blind hill, blind curve, cars coming at us--Everybody still swerved out to pass. At least they did swerve out. I remarked at a rest stop between gasps that I think if one of them hit us they'd just shrug and drive on. Bruce replied, "You're wrong. They wouldn't bother to shrug."

AND he made me buy him lunch!* ;)

At least I got to go by the Liquor Locker and pick up some more Fisherman's Brew!

http://www.capeannbrewing.com/category/now-on-tap/

BBD

*No, not really.

Fun ride today with BBDave and a couple of Cat2 Women I am freindly with up along the coast from Gloucester to Rockport and around Cape Ann.

Dave behaved and they didn't drop us.

Beautiful New England late fall day. Just a wee bit breezy made for some serious pedaling at times.

Fun morning.

BK

rounder
11-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Good thread.

rwsaunders
11-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Hats off to the folks at this year's Dirt Dozen. Cold, windy and light snow today in the 'Burgh, but not enough to force a trainer ride either. I headed out late in the afternoon and had the roads to myself for a nice 30 miler. Broke in a Fugu that I picked up off season too....all the hype is dead on...it works very well.

Jason E
11-25-2012, 10:35 AM
These are great motivators.

I took off November to Run. It is ON December 1. Loving running for no reason, looking forward to getting back on the bike.

William
11-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Met up with BBDave and got some rural RI riding in. Dave did his best to show me his turtle impression a few times when the roads turned to dirt....and sand...rocks...and boulders.;) He came through unscathed...he's tougher than his saddle though!:D

Had a great ride and then hit Main Street for a great post ride lunch!

William

Bruce K
11-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Dave is definitely into post ride lunches these days.;)

But he goes way better than he claims.

BK

spiderman
11-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I rode my commuter to the lake
Hoping to get to work in the morning
In the 15 degree weather...
Already seems cold enough to me!
Took the 2 hour loop to get there...
... Absolutely love this time of year
Colder than snot
And roads perfectly dry...
Unless you get too close to the road
Where water is being blown off the lake
And freezes after being splayed
Ten yards or so on shore!

William
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I rode my commuter to the lake
Hoping to get to work in the morning
In the 15 degree weather...
Already seems cold enough to me!

Now that's a cold breeze!!!:eek:

Great photo!

William

BumbleBeeDave
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
. . . to entertain all the Supermodels when they find out I'm single again! ;)

BBD

Dave is definitely into post ride lunches these days.;)

But he goes way better than he claims.

BK

oliver1850
11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Couple of hours on the Kirk today, after putting the Zipp gold flanged wheels on a couple of days ago. I've spent hours getting the Mavic conversion cassette just right, filing and making shims. It's working great now, if a bit noisier when downshifting than a Campy. Glad it's not as cold here as in Spiderman's neighborhood, I probably won't be riding at 15 degrees.

rounder
11-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Couple of hours on the Kirk today, after putting the Zipp gold flanged wheels on a couple of days ago. I've spent hours getting the Mavic conversion cassette just right, filing and making shims. It's working great now, if a bit noisier when downshifting than a Campy. Glad it's not as cold here as in Spiderman's neighborhood, I probably won't be riding at 15 degrees.

Nice bike. How does the new school Kirk compare to the old school Serottas.

azrider
12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
in an effort to simplify my off season I am giving this fixed thing try. All I can say is 70 miles on a fixed sucks ass. great day tho.

oliver1850
12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
I bet you had a better day than what I just came in from. I went out at sundown, got about 15 miles away before the fog started. I thought it would just be low spots, no big deal so I kept going. It eventually got so bad I couldn't see the road at times and had to stop, wipe my glasses off and get my bearings again. Worst part was I couldn't pedal hard enough to stay warm, my hands got so numb I couldn't shift.

Still a good weekend for the 1st of Dec. I got in 3 rides for 120 miles.

jvp
12-03-2012, 05:14 AM
celebrated birthday #54 with a mtn. bike ride at bent creek, near Asheville, NC.
Nice day - low 60s.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/28041_4050447421410_549499675_n.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
12-03-2012, 06:02 AM
What a GREAT picture, jvp!

The lighting, the lines of the trees, the open trail winding off into the distance. Just wow. Looks like one of those days where you find any excuse to keep riding.

Some contrast to our metric century yesterday. Overcast, wet roads with plenty of salt left over from the light snow the day before. Just enough wetness so in the group the rider in front rooster tails a little and you can't help but taste the salt on your lips. Fun ride with the group and great recovery afterward at the local tavern/restaurant, but looking at my bike now it's going to take almost as long to clean it up as it did to do the ride . . . :crap:

BBD

jvp
12-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks! I'm glad I remembered I was carrying the camara. I took another of a rhodo tunnel section that was amazing to ride through (downhill!) but the pic didn't turn out as well as the other.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/198078_4050452861546_1823895252_n.jpg

azrider
12-03-2012, 08:09 AM
I bet you had a better day than what I just came in from. I went out at sundown, got about 15 miles away before the fog started. I thought it would just be low spots, no big deal so I kept going. It eventually got so bad I couldn't see the road at times and had to stop, wipe my glasses off and get my bearings again. Worst part was I couldn't pedal hard enough to stay warm, my hands got so numb I couldn't shift.

Still a good weekend for the 1st of Dec. I got in 3 rides for 120 miles.

Rough pal.....rough! Good on ya for getting out there tho.

xjoex
12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
It was warm in the mountains yesterday and I got some great riding in with my wife.

I figure it is not snowy because I bought two sets of snow tires for the cars... Cyclists above 8500' should thank me.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3sVvfei6CPM/ULv0JEFW38I/AAAAAAAAIvg/Al7P3Ww9SnU/s512/PC020132.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hfU8LPtIYxo/ULv0LDNjNmI/AAAAAAAAIv8/g0Cg8hpgtVQ/s640/PC020215.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dALRXULiJb8/ULv0LEPSmlI/AAAAAAAAIwA/125mrJjjsEo/s640/PC020220.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rkY6kEAUWVk/ULv0MWNXt-I/AAAAAAAAIwU/f9ywbryvVFE/s512/PC020268.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5h_1JbJ7EYg/ULv0MYy5a8I/AAAAAAAAIwQ/3KcQ1yBA2P8/s640/PC020279.jpg

-Joe

oliver1850
12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
That looks like fun riding, what part of CO? Is the bus on public land?

I met up with a friend today and we did about 20 miles together before splitting for home(s) after dark. He'd never seen my Bianchi EL-OS before. Next time I ride it I have to put Keos on it so we can switch bikes. He really likes his new Infinito with Chorus and Eastons. The white dots in the field are seagulls. They come up from the river to feed on worms (I'm guessing) in freshly tilled ground. A bit windy and cool today, but great to get a 50 mile day in December.

oliver1850
05-29-2013, 10:41 PM
We've been getting really pounded with rain over the past month or so. Today was the first chance I've had for a good ride in 2 weeks. I headed out to a rural cemetery 35 miles away to take a pic of a Revolutionary War vet's grave for a photo tag on another site (that's moving much faster than the one here). Keg of beer was at stake, so it will be worth the 30 miles into a 20+ mph headwind if I collect. Saw lots of flood damage, roads closed, mud and debris on the roads and massive erosion. USDA needs to require a lot more waterways and conservation tillage if the farmers want to continue to get subsidies, in my opinion. Anyway, good day, 80+ miles in 4 counties, and I love the old NHX.

Monster
06-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Took a stroll through Kansas last weekend...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/943149_307541369380558_1253897936_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/375586_309770252491003_2062829585_n.jpg

PaMtbRider
06-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Not only do so many of you have really cool bikes and places to ride, but you are good with a camera too. I love threads like this.