norcalbiker
07-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Anyone here use these wheels?

Would love to hear your input.

Thinking of getting a set for my wife.

TIA

gospastic
07-23-2012, 04:21 PM
I've been using a newer pair with the updated rear hub for a few months now. I am very pleased with them.

rice rocket
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
$1300 for a set of aluminum clinchers, ohhhh how that Zipp/SRAM marketing machine works!

If you want a wide clincher, there's a few options out there for custom builds now.

norcalbiker
07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I've been using a newer pair with the updated rear hub for a few months now. I am very pleased with them.

Thank you sir!

norcalbiker
07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
$1300 for a set of aluminum clinchers, ohhhh how that Zipp/SRAM marketing machine works!

If you want a wide clincher, there's a few options out there for custom builds now.

Well, I am not paying near that amount. I would not even consider it if that's what I am going to pay.

wooly
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I've had the 101's, albeit back in 2011. The hubs were loud but rolled really nicely. the rim has a nice shape too.

I currently have some Hed C2's laced to King r45 campy hubs. They were built by Troy Watson at Fairwheel in AZ. Very nice build and riding wheels.

The Hed's ride lighter and were probably 150 grams lighter than the Zipps which were close to 1600 grams. The Zipps held speed better than the Hed's. I have no idea if that was because of the rim weight, better aero dynamics, ...

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get custom Hed's laced to some nice hubs. They'll be less expensive, more easily repairable in a pinch and in my opinion, look nicer than the Zipps.

justinrchan
07-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I use the 2011 101s and have been pleased with them. You can find lighter wheels out there and probably cheaper too but they have a nice feel to them and would not hesitate to get another set if the price was right.

akelman
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I liked them when I had them, though I found that they rode quite harsh (even harsher than Ksyriums, which I find a bit too harsh for my tastes). Still, they seemed fast and were light enough. Also, if it matters, the hub conversion isn't quite as simple as on DTs, but it's not especially complicated.

twangston73
07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
I have a set that I have been running with 25s, have had no problems with them at all. I found a used set for 750, so some looking around may save a few pennies off retail.

bocarider
07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
I have been riding Zipp 101s since May of 2011 and I am really pleased with the wheels. Previously I have ridden Ksyriums, Zipp 404s and Reynolds
DV46s (all clincher). I liked each of those wheel sets for different reasons (with some reservations) – the Ks were bombproof and pretty stiff feeling, the 404’s very aero and fast feeling but a bit heavy and bad in cross winds, and the DV46’s really aero and light, but over time started to feel a little mushy. I ended up getting rid of each mostly because of powertap hub issues and not so much the wheels. Also, I did not want to ride an all carbon wheel on an upcoming trip to France (I ride the brakes too hard on descents and had visions of the DV46s overheating and blowing up) so I went shopping for an alloy brake surfaced wheel.

When my bike shop guys suggested the 101s, I was a little skeptical, but after demoing them for a week, I was sold. There were very fast, seemed pretty aero (who really knows) and felt really smooth under my bike. The really eye opening experience was putting them under my wife who usually just rides what we give her and says “OK with me” (the bike shop guys love her). She got off the bike after her demo ride and punched me in the arm and said “why didn’t you get me better wheels before; these feel amazing” (she was riding a nice set of Reynolds Attack wheels).

The 101s were great climbing and work really well for me for my every day training and group rides. In a lot of ways they pick up on the best qualities of the previous wheel sets I have owned. I have ridden them pretty hard over a variety of terrains and they are very durable, like the Ks. They seem pretty aero with the “toriodial” shape, like the 404s and the DV46s, but that could just be a placebo effect with me believing the marketing hype. They certain ride really well – I love the feel of them under both of my bikes, so I highly recommend them.

maxdog
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
I saw the rear, on Chainlove today, for just under $450.

steampunk
07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
If I were to do it all over again, I'd get custom Hed's laced to some nice hubs. They'll be less expensive, more easily repairable in a pinch and in my opinion, look nicer than the Zipps.

This.

djg
07-26-2012, 07:02 AM
I have a set -- bought at a pretty heavy discount over the winter. My general preference is for tubulars, but I always like to have a clincher set around and these have been getting a fair bit of use in rides built around my daily ride to work. Interesting wheels. I like them -- not sure I love them.

I've taken no measurements -- these are just subjective impressions. Hubs seem smooth, no worries with the build thus far, and I like the wider rim. They're reasonably light but not super light and while they don't feel like heavy wheels, they don't feel as if they spin up quite as quickly as some lighter wheels. For a relatively shallow rim Zipp seems to have engineered some genuine aero advantage -- they have that feel when you get up to speed or are heading downhill, if that makes sense. I haven't had problems with handling, but sometimes they feel a little softer side-to-side than I'd like -- maybe that's not a problem for your wife.

A couple of folks said they felt harsh, but they haven't struck me that way -- I've got a set of 700 x 25c Vittoria open corsas on there and at reasonable pressure they feel just fine to me -- actually feel pretty good for a clincher.

To follow-up on another point -- although I like the wheels, there's no way I'd pay 1300 bucks for a pair of these (or the 1100 they were asking last season).

oldpotatoe
07-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!

eBAUMANN
07-26-2012, 11:42 AM
they are great wheels but definitely a little pricey if buying new. keep an eye on ebay or local CL for gently used sets, they pop up every so often. i lucked out and got a set for an awesome price, very nice feel to em and the wider/aero rim is def a winner. if buying new though, there are definitely better options in the custom-build world for the money.