PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of the R.A.I.N.

pbbob
07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
During the spring when the weather was mild and the miles were easy I decided to do the ride across Indiana for the second time. The plan was to fly to dayton ohio on Friday and then drive to richmond and catch the support bus there to Terre Haute. Saturday ride the 160 miles back to Richmond and then fly home on Sunday.
Then the heat wave arrived. And never left. Riding 160 miles in the relentless heat and humidity not only wouldn't be fun but also very dangerous. I didn't want to give anyone the chance to say "at least he died doing something he loved" So I decided to go with plan B. I didn't have a plan B until I remembered that there was a relatively new bike trail over the old railroad tracks that goes from Richmond past Muncie and close to Marion. So on to the Cardinal Greenway I went.
I got to Richmond late friday afternoon, unpacked the Kirk and went for a 25 mile shakedown ride. My first impression of the trail was very favorable. It's flat, wide and smooth and goes in and out of tree canopies and past corn and soybean fields. But I was still a skeptic about really being able to do any serious miles on it. After all it's still a MUT.
Saturday dawned with low humidity and a temp of 58 and a breeze out of the north east. Unbelievably at least for 1 day the weather turned out to be absolutely wonderful.
I rode the Greenway past Muncie to Gaston. Then turned around and returned to Muncie and rode around the university for a while and then continued to Richmond..
I hardly saw anyone on the trail and you could ride as fast a you cared to go.
I never thought it would be possible to have fun on a MUT but I did. And I don't regret missing the RAIN ride at all.
Total distance approximately 107 miles.

Cinci Jim
07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
looks like a nice trail - I'll have to check it out.

godfrey1112000
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Did Rain on Saturday, 160 miles and it only got hot in the last half hour, about 93

obtw, rode from Richmond to the start on Friday, 155 miles, cloudy, fog and drizzle,

don't like waiting on the bus so riding to the start on Friday makes sense,

only problem no usual tail wind

State of Indiana smells like cigarettes:eek:

if anyone is counting 139th out of 1214

dekindy
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Did Rain on Saturday, 160 miles and it only got hot in the last half hour, about 93

obtw, rode from Richmond to the start on Friday, 155 miles, cloudy, fog and drizzle,

don't like waiting on the bus so riding to the start on Friday makes sense,

only problem no usual tail wind

State of Indiana smells like cigarettes:eek:

if anyone is counting 139th out of 1214

I rode RAIN for the sixth consecutive time and had a ball as I found a nice group of young folks to ride with. Most enjoyable of the six by far. I saw someone in a 2012 RAIN video with a red Serotta kit design that I had not seen before, was that you?

godfrey1112000
07-24-2012, 05:12 AM
No, I was on a Ti Hors Categorie

did see several Serottas, including a Red one,

lots of pacelines and really nice people