PDA

View Full Version : Modern pedals with stack height near Look Deltas?

67-59
07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
After many years and nearly 38,000 miles on some old Look Deltas, it's time to get some new pedals. An axle is bending slightly, and other issues are telling me it's time. My understanding is that most "modern" pedals - or at least those I can find stack heights for - have lower stack heights than the Deltas.

I know that moving to pedals with significantly different stack heights *might* (YMMV) require changes to saddle and bar height, and I'd like to move as little as possible. I'm a 50-year old guy with a history of back problems/herniated discs and occasional saddle sores, and am VERY sentitive to even minor changes to the saddle. I have finally gotten my setup to where I can fairly comfortably ride 70, 80, even 90 miles solo...and still walk straight upright when I get off the bike -- a revelation for me!

Seems like there's quite a difference between the Deltas and Look Keos, or other brands like Speedplay and Time. What about the Campy Pro-Fit Plus? I've seen vague references to these having a stack height more like the "old" pedals, but can't for the life of me find the number. Interested in any high-quality option except Shimano, as my bike is otherwise almost all Campy. Thoughts on the comparability of Deltas vs Pro-Fit Plus? Other suggestions?

AngryScientist
07-23-2012, 02:55 PM
my only advice is to not discount shimano pedals. all of my bikes are all campy, all the time, except for the pedals. i've used quite a few, including many many miles on speedplays, and the shimano pedals, right up and down the line, are IMO, the best road pedal out there.

i know you're concerned, but a minor stack height change should not affect your fit at all IMO. if you need to raise/lower the saddle a few mm's to compensate, i doubt you'll ever feel the difference.

John H.
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Most modern pedals are significantly lower. That is most of the "improvement".
I have some NOS Shimano 7410 pedals- Shimano made- take look cleats.
Arguably the finest Look style pedal ever made.
I want $250 plus shipping for them.
PM me if you have interest.

ctcyclistbob
07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
You might be able to find replacement pedals on the 'bay, as there seem to be plenty of Look Deltas that come up, even new ones at times.

handsomerob
07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
You might be able to find replacement pedals on the 'bay, as there seem to be plenty of Look Deltas that come up, even new ones at times.

+1

I often consider changing various bits on my bikes.... But the pedals aren't one. My deltas just do everything I would like in a pedal. I like the PP396's the best.