http://bikethomson.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/cross.jpg

but we'll have to wait 'til september

KidWok
07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
ooooo...I'm intrigued.

Tai

Louis
07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
CF and made in Taiwan. I'm not sure I'd call that a Thomson product.

Mr Cabletwitch
07-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I was excited until I noticed it was carbon.

DRietz
07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
But the aluminum and ti ones they're making for mountain bikes are all US, baby!

:banana:

harryblack
07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Agreed, Louis. I'm not an equipment geek but am a big Made in Macon, GA Thomson stem/seatpost fan... This from the FAQ is interesting--

Q – Are your bars made in Macon at your facility?
A – No, our carbon bars are the first product designed by us but manufactured in Taiwan. We plan to bring carbon fiber production in-house by 2015.

Figure I'll stick with my FSA until 2015 and then think about switching? Seems like the might be made at the same Taiwan factory though! Anyone knew for sure?

Kupe
07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I wonder how long it will take KFC to dump this sponsor on their ass.... :rolleyes: :eek:

sandyrs
07-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Check the FAQs-

"If you crash a lot, don’t buy carbon!"

At least there's a company out there being honest about the -relative- fragility of carbon bars.

ultraman6970
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
The funny thing is that there are some riders that have accidents really often. Ask Farrar ;D

Check the FAQs-

"If you crash a lot, don’t buy carbon!"

At least there's a company out there being honest about the -relative- fragility of carbon bars.

monkeybanana86
07-23-2012, 01:50 PM

o.k. my bad. in three years then :)

chevron
07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
I agree the carbon is sweet ,but easily damaged

boxerboxer
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Why is your first assumption "Thompson is producing something over seas, therefor Thompson is declining and/or this is a bad product," and not "Thompson makes great stuff and will probably continue to do so regardless of where they choose to have it manufactured"?

On the other hand, you've seen a picture of it on the internet, so you probably have a solid handle on how it performs on a bike.

Louis
07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Why is your first assumption "Thompson is producing something over seas, therefor Thompson is declining and/or this is a bad product," and not "Thompson makes great stuff and will probably continue to do so regardless of where they choose to have it manufactured"?

Not sure where you got the quality implication in what I said.

I said it didn't look to me like a Thomson product. When I think Thomson I think AL and I think "Made in USA." Those bars fail on both counts.

monkeybanana86
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM

I said it didn't look to me like a Thomson product. When I think Thomson I think AL and I think "Made in USA." Those bars fail on both counts.

I also think of Thomson as AL and CNC. but if they're planning to bring carbon in 2015 maybe we should expect carbon stems and posts soon!

boxerboxer
07-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Fair enough. My bad for reading into what wasn't there.

It pisses me off when people take a dump on a product because it wasn't made in the US, to the point when sometimes I think I see it happening when it isn't.

that guy
07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Thomson makes most of its money making parts for the aerospace industry. Bikes are just a side project.

They are investing heavily in carbon technology to continue to compete in aerospace. I wouldn't worry one bit about the quality.

boxerboxer
07-23-2012, 10:00 PM
For everyone bummed that these aren't US made, John Prolly says here (http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/07/thomson-announces-new-handlebars/) that production moves to the US in 2015, FWIW.

That said, I don't know what his source is, so who knows what the real story is.

monkeybanana86
07-23-2012, 10:39 PM
For everyone bummed that these aren't US made, John Prolly says here (http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/07/thomson-announces-new-handlebars/) that production moves to the US in 2015, FWIW.

That said, I don't know what his source is, so who knows what the real story is.

The Thomson FAQs is the source. It's quoted in the first page here.

ultraman6970
07-24-2012, 12:21 AM
all the good stuff in carbon is made in asia anyway.Sure half of your carbon parts are made in asia anyways so why worry about this guys bars??

harryblack
07-24-2012, 12:34 AM
as a Thomson fan it's not a 'worry'-- i'm sure they won't slack on QC with the Taiwanese stuff-- but it's a national/regional point of 'pride' that we can have badass Macon, GA-made Thomson parts.

i never would have spent $$$ for fancy carbon bars but a new/used (someone else's unridden build) bike came with FSA SL-K's and i like 'em enough not to have sold 'em (after years on alloy Deda) though I don't think they're a huge deal either: between the road, tires, rims, handlebar tape, gloves there's lotsa other things to think about first.

all the good stuff in carbon is made in asia anyway.Sure half of your carbon parts are made in asia anyways so why worry about this guys bars??