PDA

View Full Version : 700x32 road tires?

cosmonaut
07-23-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm curious to hear if anyone has come recommendations on decent road tires that come in a 32 width. I've been riding my cross bike on the road while my road frame is being repaired, and I want something slick (or at least non-knobby) for commuting purposes. So far the best I've found are Continental gatorskins, but I'm wondering what else is out there.

rugbysecondrow
07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm curious to hear if anyone has come recommendations on decent road tires that come in a 32 width. I've been riding my cross bike on the road while my road frame is being repaired, and I want something slick (or at least non-knobby) for commuting purposes. So far the best I've found are Continental gatorskins, but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Pasela's are a great tires and are inexpensive.

Give those a shot.

sw3759
07-23-2012, 07:36 AM
the panaracer pasela 32 (non belted version) is a great tire seems to roll faster imo than the gatorskin too.

*oops,rugby beat me to the punch

AngryScientist
07-23-2012, 07:36 AM
if you're just subbing in the cross bike while your road bike is out of commission, why not just run regular road tires on the cross bike?

jr59
07-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Ribmos for commuting work really well.

http://www.panaracer.com/urban.php

rccardr
07-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Vittoria Rando's or if you want something mostly slick with some sipes, try Michelin Pilot city tires. Both ride very nicely.

phcollard
07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
The girlfriend has a pair of Schwalbe Durano 700x32 on her bike and she likes them. Bonus for me: she never has a flat. They are wire bead only if my memory serves me well.

They are rather slick...

http://www.everybicycletire.com/shopping/images/PRODUCT/large/1000.jpg

FlashUNC
07-23-2012, 07:58 AM
+1 on the Duranos.

I'd also recommend the Conti Cyclocross Speed tire. Its not exactly a pure smooth road tread, but it is smooth enough for tarmac use, and has just enough of a knobby on the edges to handle dirt or whatever else might come your way.

cosmonaut
07-23-2012, 08:02 AM
if you're just subbing in the cross bike while your road bike is out of commission, why not just run regular road tires on the cross bike?
Excellent question! :)
No particular reason, I guess I'm into the wider tires just because they're a departure from the normal 25s I use for road. I like being able to ride some hard-packed dirt trails that would be more of an issue on the skinnier tires.

I'll look into the recommended tires, thanks for the suggestions.

Andrewlcox
07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
I have 6000 miles on a pair of Bontrager Hard Case tires that are 700x32. I will buy them again if the first pair ever wears out.

Andy

keevon
07-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Front: Panaracer Pasela (wire bead, non-Tourguard)
Rear: Panaracer T-Serv

Both share the same tread, but differ in terms of casing and flat protection.
Pasela's feel great, but are prone to sidewall cuts. T-Serv's are durable, but feel a little dead. I've found that pairing the supple Pasela with the durable T-Serv has been a great combo!

Ken Robb
07-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Performance bike Metro tires might work if they are not too fat. They cost less than $20 and are often on sale for even less. I use 700x37 on my Riv Allrounder.

buldogge
07-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Vittoria Hyper Randonneurs...relatively light, roll super nice, hold up well.

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis

KidWok
07-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Front: Panaracer Pasela (wire bead, non-Tourguard)
Rear: Panaracer T-Serv

Both share the same tread, but differ in terms of casing and flat protection.
Pasela's feel great, but are prone to sidewall cuts. T-Serv's are durable, but feel a little dead. I've found that pairing the supple Pasela with the durable T-Serv has been a great combo!

My sentiments exactly...Use an Ultremo 28 on front and T-serv 28 on back of my all-arounder. I'm riding T-serv's 700 x 25's on my road bike for training. They don't feel super but they don't quit. Pasela's are great for pavement, but not so great for trail due to the very thin sidewalls. I refused to use Panaracers in the winter anymore though...the rubber compound on the T-serv and Pasela is VERY durable at the expense of not being super grippy in cold/wet conditions. I definitely notice the loss of traction (ow) on painted lines, manhole covers, and pebble-top concrete roads (my commute). I've gone to Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for my commuter bike...VERY nice tires but I believe they discontinued the 32mm size and only have 28s and 35s. Very nice rolling tire, but would not recommend for gravel due to fairly soft compound.

IMHO...32mm pavement tires are kind of an odd-duck size. There aren't that many types of pavement that I want more than a 28 slick and not that many gravel roads where I wouldn't rather have a semi-slick 'cross tire.

Have heard good feedback from my friends about the Vittoria Hyper Rando's, but would rather ride a Pasela over a standard Rando.

Tai

GRAVELBIKE
07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Vittoria Hyper Randonneurs...relatively light, roll super nice, hold up well.

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis

+1 on the Hypers (not just any Vittoria Rando).

Also consider the non-TG Paselas.

merckx
07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Grand Bois Cypres

danielpack22@ma
07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I run Rivendell's Jack Brown Greens on my CX bike and they've held up well and really smooth out the road. They do however measure 33 1/3 (it's Rivendell of course it's odd ball). :rolleyes:

ptourkin
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
+1 on the Jack Browns. I am running the Blues on my Moots. Also fun on dry trails. Avoid the tubes Grant is selling with them, though. The valves are ridiculously short and won't work if there is any V in your rim.

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I've been trying out some Schwalbe marathons (32) as I ride a lot on dirt roads. They handle the gravel fantastically, but on pavement it feels like I'm spinning marshmallows. I'm thinking about trying Vittoria XNs next.

GRAVELBIKE
07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I've been trying out some Schwalbe marathons (32) as I ride a lot on dirt roads. They handle the gravel fantastically, but on pavement it feels like I'm spinning marshmallows. I'm thinking about trying Vittoria XNs next.

Take a look at the (non-TG) Panaracer Pasela. The minimal tread is quick on pavement, but still works well off-pavement (drop the psi).

fiamme red
07-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Take a look at the (non-TG) Panaracer Pasela. The minimal tread is quick on pavement, but still works well off-pavement (drop the psi).These are getting harder to find. Nashbar no longer stocks them.

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Take a look at the (non-TG) Panaracer Pasela. The minimal tread is quick on pavement, but still works well off-pavement (drop the psi).

Im considering them after reading this thread, but I'm not sure if the have enough bite for my purposes. I end up climbing a lot in dirt, and need some good tread to really dig in. If I can track some down I'll give 'em a shot. It's a tough balance, some days I'm riding 90 percent dirt, climbing and descending... And I love the Schwalbes... The days I find myself mostly on pavement, I feel like a sloth.

dauwhe
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Out of curiosity, how much can width and/or low pressure make up for a lack of aggressive tread? I've been pretty happy with Hetre's at 40/45psi on dirt and gravel, but since I'm not an MTB or cyclocross rider I don't have much experience with knobbier tires.

GRAVELBIKE
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Out of curiosity, how much can width and/or low pressure make up for a lack of aggressive tread? I've been pretty happy with Hetre's at 40/45psi on dirt and gravel, but since I'm not an MTB or cyclocross rider I don't have much experience with knobbier tires.

It depends...

On hardpack dirt, slicks work surprisingly well. For loose over hard, deep gravel, etc, you generally need some type of tread. It doesn't have to be much, but it needs to be more than the Hetres' "ribs."

If you're under-biking, it's (more) important to pay attention to weight distribution, steering, and braking. Let the bike steer itself wherever possible, and avoid panic braking (also lay off the front brake as it can be easier to lock up in loose conditions).

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 12:07 PM
It depends...

On hardpack dirt, slicks work surprisingly well. For loose over hard, deep gravel, etc, you generally need some type of tread. It doesn't have to be much, but it needs to be more than the Hetres' "ribs."

If you're under-biking, it's (more) important to pay attention to weight distribution, steering, and braking. Let the bike steer itself wherever possible, and avoid panic braking (also lay off the front brake as it can be easier to lock up in loose conditions).

Sorry, what's "under-biking"?

GRAVELBIKE
07-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Sorry, what's "under-biking"?

See:
http://veloflaneur.wordpress.com/2009/12/21/underbiking/

nighthawk
07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Huh, I had no idea. I guess that's me, but it sounds derogatory.

palincss
07-30-2012, 12:54 PM
These are getting harder to find. Nashbar no longer stocks them.

Google shopping found 26 online vendors that sell them. Perhaps Nashbar doesn't list them today but there's nothing to say that might not change next week or next month.

fiamme red
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Google shopping found 26 online vendors that sell them.The TG or non-TG version?