PDA

View Full Version : School me on cycling shoes

Earl Gray
07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
When I started down the path of a true roadie I simply found some shoes, pedals and cleats as a group used and installed them.

They are older ultegra pedals and Shimano SPD-R shoes. The cleats are SM-SH92.

As I got more bikes I simply found more of the same pedals on ebay and never looked back.

Now I'm in need of new shoes (new to me anyway) but nothing I look at on the net seems to have the right hole pattern for my cleats. Often times (like with mine) some of the holes are not even threaded.:confused:

How do these damn things work and will I need to by SPD-R specific shoes.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7256/7625259492_a656732ddf_b.jpg

rnhood
07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Throw'em away and get a pair of Shoes and Shimano SPD-SL pedals. I went this direction back in 2005 and have never looked back. Its one of the few items on my bike that I have never thought about changing.

Shoes need to be tried on though. Its important to get a pair that fits well. The brand and construction is less important.

soulspinner
07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Sidi or Shimano. All you need to know.

Bruce K
07-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Specialized shoes are a great bang for the buck if they fit.

I find I need to wear wool socks to take up a little volume compared to my Sidisi think you will have a hard time finding shoes that fit your old cleats

BK

false_Aest
07-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Giros (Factors... i dunno about the rest) have the hole you need.

Lakes do not (236s)

However, I'd echo rnhood's response.

Earl Gray
07-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Throw'em away and get a pair of Shoes and Shimano SPD-SL pedals. I went this direction back in 2005 and have never looked back. Its one of the few items on my bike that I have never thought about changing.

Shoes need to be tried on though. Its important to get a pair that fits well. The brand and construction is less important.

I could be talked into going that route pretty easily as long as I could get away with the low end of the line.

Any reason NOT to go with the Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL Pedal?

Looks like they can be had for less than $40
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1&catalogId=10052&productId=527070&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Shimano%20PD-R540%20SPD-SL%20Road%20Pedals&CAWELAID=858053474&cagpspn=pla

tannhauser
07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Hello! We are in the 21st century! Why do you need those things when you're all Grant this, Grant that! (Mods, these are jokes. )

Just get out your hand drill and drill yerself into this century!

Golly. Or wear sandals. I don't know why mountain bikers are so serious these days.