PDA

View Full Version : anyone own or ridden a cyfac?

Climb01742
07-22-2012, 09:15 AM
i've always been intrigued by the story behind cyfac. and many reviews of their frames are quite positive, in particular their ride quality. i'm curious, anyone own one? ridden one? thoughts? perhaps most curious about the gothica. thanks in advance.

wooly
07-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Hey Climb - I owned a nerve years ago. It was aluminum with carbon seat stays. What I recall was that it had a very relaxed seat tube angle somewhere around 72 even. Very stable and nice riding. Nicely constructed. Since then I've seen some gothicas for sale on the bay and have been tempted.

verticaldoug
07-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I test rode a Gothica with dura-ace components about a year ago. I thought it a very nice bike. It's light, handles well and responsive. I'm about 185 lbs and strong. I had no issues stomping on the pedals.

I also like the tube shapes. It gives the bike a unique flavor.

I think Happycamper also rode one around the same time. Maybe he can chime in here since he has a larger stable of rides to compare to.

bheight1
07-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Mine is here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=104909

Well crafted, balanced, stable ride--I'm very pleased! I can't compare ride qualities as this is my first carbon frame. I've always been a fan of the brand's heritage and happy to see them back in peloton this year--under Cyfac brand. Pricey, but if you come across one in your size--hey if I come across another in my size, I wouldn't hesitate. I believe there are some smaller size closeouts on the website in the boutique. Check the geometry though as a XL (58) does have a slacker 72 STA. My only issue is my Cyfac doesn't climb like this one:

http://youtu.be/t8MOQuF4_BI

:rolleyes:

ultraman6970
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
ultraman wants a gothica. One day when i win the lotto?

chismog
07-24-2012, 02:01 AM
I've lusted for an Absolu from the moment I saw one. Pez did a review a couple years ago I think?

yashcha
07-24-2012, 03:29 AM
I have been trying to order a Cyfac Proxidium for about a month now. I have written to several people at Cyfac France, but I have yet to get a reply. I have seen some of their frames at the Landry's in Boston and they are really beautiful.

soulspinner
07-24-2012, 05:28 AM
I have this desire to take the Cyfac tour, get measured by them, vacation in France long enough to have the bike ready, and ride it there before coming home...............

xodus
07-24-2012, 05:40 AM
I had a Cyfac Nerve and the ride was stable, comfortable and enjoyable. An all day machine. The construction and paint is simply marvelous.

merckx
07-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I have been trying to order a Cyfac Proxidium for about a month now. I have written to several people at Cyfac France, but I have yet to get a reply. I have seen some of their frames at the Landry's in Boston and they are really beautiful.

Can't you get one from Landry's?

rugbysecondrow
07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
I have a Cyfac triathlon bike. It has a more relaxed seat tube angle, (72) which is why I bought it. The STA is the same angle as my other bikes so transitioning to this bike a week or two before a race or for training in the winter is more seamless. The ride is nice, it is smooth. The handling is fine, but with aero bars and being in the aero setup, I haven't really tried to test the handling.

The paint is in good shape, very good shape actually. It has worn well and seems to keep it luster.

These frames go cheap on ebay sometimes just because they slip through the cracks. I got my whole bike for $1050, and that was with dura ace, power tap wheel, neg g brakes etc. After a fit by Smiley I was good to go.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=89941&highlight=cyfac

Charles M
07-24-2012, 07:58 AM
:)

The Full Review and build process info is here... (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8986)

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/cyfac/cyback.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/cyfac/cyshop.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/cyfac/cyhead.jpg

Under rated/exposed company given the build detail and finish quality... There's a video in the review of them painting this bike... It's a LOT of work versus most other finishing as there are no decals [this paint scheme was very simple and I put it together mostly to show the detail work of the carbon wraps, which seem to be missing in most of Cyfac's far more comprehensive paint jobs. At the time there wasn't anything from Cyfac this plain but with a kinda cool detail of blue on one side and red on the other... It's now the most popular paint job in Cyfac's line up]

They rival a lot of bikes that get a lot more attention.

The one in the review is virtually new and I'll be selling it. Size is roughly 54. (PM's)

Charles M
07-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Guys Cyfac runs through Velo Europa in the US. They're also part owners of Cyfac so there's no benefit going round to France... Veloeuropa.com...

Very Nice people and they'll get you to either the closest dealer and or walk you through the process...

rjfr
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
I took delivery of a custom Absolu in France last year.

Very nice bike. My first carbon, so can't say how it compares. Compared to a steel Serotta, I would say it feels more connected and less buzzy on harsh pavement. I like them both for different reasons.

Overall, a responsive, nimble, balanced ride. No surprises. Climbs very well. Not the lightest, if low weight is your goal. Easy on the body over long distances.

yashcha
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Guys Cyfac runs through Velo Europa in the US. They're also part owners of Cyfac so there's no benefit going round to France... Veloeuropa.com...

Very Nice people and they'll get you to either the closest dealer and or walk you through the process...

In Northern Ireland right now so I have to go through their UK dealer. I may try again when I move back to the states.

Climb01742
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
The one in the review is virtually new and I'll be selling it. Size is roughly 54. (PM's)

charles, wish it was slightly bigger. your review is very tempting.

Waldo
07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I had a Panthere, a Columbus Spirit steel bike with a steel rear end (carbon rears were the rage in those days, but I'd asked for steel). It was a very nice riding frame for climbs, rollers, and flats -- fast and comfortable. I didn't like the way it descended. I tried forks with different rakes, to no avail.

Charles M
07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
In Northern Ireland right now so I have to go through their UK dealer. I may try again when I move back to the states.

Send me a pm with your info if you want me to get you responded to... Maybe more than one way there.

bheight1
07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I'll add--very active fb page with some very nice Cyfac eye-candy. Eric at Velo Europa is very accessible.

jghall
07-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Another Cyfac owner. Actually 2.

Imo, great frames and easily on par with the other top-tier frames/brands on the planet.

As others have mentioned, the larger sizes have slightly seat angles for their stock frames. Works well for me.

Agree, Eric is very accessible. PM if you need his contact info.