PDA

View Full Version : anybody out there a 'cross converter'??

spiderman
09-21-2005, 08:19 PM
i am thinking about winterizing the ottrott st
by changing to a cross fork,
getting round carbon cross bars,
putting on a front disc brake, removing the rear or changing to cantilever,
running 28 cross tubular tires on my existing carbon shimano wheelset
and adding a sprung brooks swallow saddle...
...how bad an idea is this??
really??

Fixed
09-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Bro I am the last guy to give you cross advise but I wouldn't do that to your bike .why not get a cross bike? i.m.h.o. :beer:

Bruce K
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Get a cross bike.

As cross folks have said before, they can be had used for cheap (probably less than you would spend to make all those changes to the Ottrott).

New ones can be had for between $800 and $1500 depending on build groups, frame materials, etc.

Why beat the c++p out of a beautiful bike?

Just my 2 cents.

BK

Michael Maddox
09-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Personally, I'd do it. Bikes are meant to be ridden. You'll likely NOT want to ever switch it back.

Note that the cross fork will likely change your headtube geometry, as many cross forks are just-a-bit longer than the road fork you'll be replacing. It'll likely not be much, but you might notice and disapprove.

Adding a disc without braze-ons can be done with a disc-adapter that sits in the left rear drop-out. I'll find a link. You will, of course, need disc-capable wheels.

Save some money, and forget the saddle change.

Hmmm....this WILL get expensive. You could probably do it under the cost of a new cross-bike, but do you really want to do your Ottrott on the cheap?

Forget what I said. Buy a Redline or Surly already built and have fun. It'll have what you need, and you won't have to spend as much.

spiderman
09-22-2005, 11:29 AM
i think i may go with a poprad for $675...
unless someone out there has a serotta in a 55 cm frame!

jpw
09-22-2005, 11:35 AM
..."cross converter", like 'gender bender', or am I missing something?

How would you change the rear end from caliper to canti brakes?

Bruce K
09-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I wasn't going there..... ;)

With the whole idea of swapping that much gear back and forth one would think the value of time and parts would quickly outstrip the cost of a new or used cross bike (complete).

BK

BK

Argos
09-22-2005, 01:10 PM
For riding in the dirt, I'd get a cross bike. The geometry is a bit different.

That said, when I was living in NY and it was cold, I'd swap my S-3 lite tubulars to a set of 28mm Diamond pattern cross tires on my trusty old (2003) 5500. It was the biggest I could fit on there. I would use it 95% on the road, but did do a few forays into the woods and put it as a pit bike for one cross race. Mostly as a Joke, but I totally would've used it if I had a flat.

You should've seen the faces when I wheeled that in there! :beer:

shinomaster
09-22-2005, 03:56 PM
get a cross bike like a felt or a cannondale or a fuji or something. Don't ruin your toy ottrott in the rain. :beer:

then try cross racing! :banana:

dirtdigger88
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
How about this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11251) a little bit road and a little bit cross- and a h*ll of a lot of fun

Jason

spiderman
09-22-2005, 05:20 PM
look like the best one i've considered...