PDA

View Full Version : EBay question - scenario

stackie
07-21-2012, 11:39 AM
OK,

I know you guys sell a lot of stuff on ebay. Please let me run this by you.

I'm just getting into selling some stuff on ebay.

Wife had pile of shoes to donate. I see $200 plus MBT's worn once. Hey, you should ebay those... Anyway, I go ahead and put them up.

Some lady in New York wins the auction for $16 plus priority shipping. I am leaving on vacation next day. She does not pay before I leave, but I ship anyway as I am trusting soul. She finally pays 4 days later. I check delivery confirmation when I return "not updated". I go to post office, what does that mean? Well, we tried to deliver, she was not home. She has not come to pick up. OK, Now, four weeks later she emails saying she did not get package. I say, go to post office and pick up. It is there.

Now, she emails and says that she went to post office and "they cannot find" but wants to know if they can just ship it back to me. Hmmm. How would they ship something back they cannot find? I'm thinking she is having buyer's remorse and wants to back out without damaging her rating. Leaving me responsible for the shipping costs, of course.

What should I do?

Jon

Jon

martinrjensen
07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
No tracking number? If not you are probably SOL. I think "you" should contact the post office to see if it's really lost. The buyer sounds a little flakey to meOK,

Wife had pile of shoes to donate. I see $200 plus MBT's worn once. Hey, you should ebay those... Anyway, I go ahead and put them up.

Some lady in New York wins the auction for $16 plus priority shipping. I am leaving on vacation next day. She does not pay before I leave, but I ship anyway as I am trusting soul. She finally pays 4 days later. I check delivery confirmation when I return "not updated". I go to post office, what does that mean? Well, we tried to deliver, she was not home. She has not come to pick up. OK, Now, four weeks later she emails saying she did not get package. I say, go to post office and pick up. It is there.

Now, she emails and says that she went to post office and "they cannot find" but wants to know if they can just ship it back to me. Hmmm. How would they ship something back they cannot find? I'm thinking she is having buyer's remorse and wants to back out without damaging her rating. Leaving me responsible for the shipping costs, of course.

What should I do?

Jon

Jon

vav
07-21-2012, 11:56 AM
"She wants to go back without damaging her rating"

Even if you wanted to "damage" her rating you wouldn't be able to do so. Ebay does not let sellers to leave feedback on buyers. Sincerely, for 16 bucks is probably not worth the hassle and unfortunately, Ebay would allow her to leave a negative feedback about you as a seller.

harryblack
07-21-2012, 11:58 AM
first, be thankful it's low value item and, in worst case scenario, you can let it go and move on.

second, a non-delivery SHOULD be returned to you automatically provided there's a readable return address.

third, usps delivery confirmation can be quirky... sometimes it'll give you blow by blow progress, other times it disappears between drop off and delivery. i am uncertain why this is. what's the current status of your del. confirmation #?

fourth, when you say "New York" do you mean NYC or elsewhere in the state? NYC mail delivery and post offices are, in some cases, notoriously unreliable, effed up. (some are excellent but it's very hit and miss.) also, even when a PO "can't find" a package it usually DOES turn up.

lastly, unless you can prove delivery, you'll always lose with Paypal so it's best to prepare for that. since the buyer is being 'difficult,' however, I'd tell ** HER ** to file missing package claim -->

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view()=c%5Bc_usps0611%5D&varset(source)=sourceType:embedded#Reporting

while you do the same from your end.

this process actually works, mostly, though its efficacy depends on what post office you're dealing with.

OK,

What should I do?

Jon

Jon

stackie
07-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I do have tracking number. They just won't confirm that it is delivered until she picks up. it reads as "not updated" on USPS.com after arriving in Staten Island PO.

I filed claim with USPS. I will tell her to do so as well.

Maybe that I am taking it seriously will stimulate her to do the right thing if she is just being flakey.

I know I should move on. I just hate getting messed with.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Jon

benitosan1972
07-21-2012, 12:59 PM
eBay sucks

ultraman6970
07-21-2012, 03:41 PM
You shipped using delivery confirmation and the package never arrived to destination???

You can call them, they will try to track the package, they have an internal system that shows more info than the web site. It happened to me with sometihng i bought from ebay, for some idiotic reason the box was never unloaded from the truck, then went back to the origin point postal distribution center then they send it and processed the box again... took like a month was just weird. If the tracking number is still active then they have to find the box, has to be somewhere but you have to call them to complain.

Ralph
07-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Did you sell it as "returns allowed"?