PDA

View Full Version : Voler jersey sizing: club cut vs. race cut

fiamme red
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
I can't tell the difference from the website between club cut and race cut. Is the club cut more generous in the waist, or in the chest too? Is a club-cut M similar to a race-cut L?

Thanks for your help.

54ny77
07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
voler race cut team kit is for the slim of girth.

for reference, a medium will fit you just about right if you're 5 9" and around 160 +/-.

more than that, and it ain't gonna be pretty....

fiamme red
07-20-2012, 01:57 PM

for reference, a medium will fit you just about right if you're 5 9" and around 160 +/-.

more than that, and it ain't gonna be pretty....I'm 5'10" and 172 lbs, with a 33" waist and 42" chest. Would a race-cut L fit me, or do I need a club-cut L?

Bruce K
07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
5'-8", 195# with a 34 waist and their club cut L fits perfect.

I need a race cut XL and it's snug.

BK

Mark McM
07-20-2012, 02:01 PM
My club went with Voler for the latest iteration of our club's jersey's a couple of years ago. Maybe their sizing system has changed since then, but I found that their sizing was a bit odd. Not only was the the 'club cut' a bit more 'square' than the 'race cut, but the 'club cut' was much larger overall then is typical. So much so, that a 'club cut' medium was larger than a 'race cut' large, in both length and width. Normally I wear a medium jersey, but found the Voler 'club cut' medium far too baggy, but a 'race cut' medium was too tight, so I went with the 'race cut' large.

christian
07-20-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm 5'10" and 172 lbs, with a 33" waist and 42" chest. Would a race-cut L fit me, or do I need a club-cut L?
Race cut will be fine. Club cut will be full-spec 5BBC, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm 5'11, 166lbs, 40" chest, 32" waist, and I'm between a race cut M and a race cut L.

fiamme red
07-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Race cut will be fine. Club cut will be full-spec 5BBC, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm 5'11, 166lbs, 40" chest, 32" waist, and I'm between a race cut M and a race cut L.Then it will be race cut in size L for me. Thank you! :)

sivat
07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
That's a good choice. I'm about 6' and 185 and the large club cut was huge. I ended up having it taken in around the chest.

benitosan1972
07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Even within the same manufacturer's lines, fit can vary.
I'm 6' 150-ish# and I sometimes wear small, sometimes medium Voler race cut. I think all cycling clothing needs to be tried on beforehand, not everything fits uniformly like it should.

*don't even get me started on Castelli's weird fitments ;)

veloduffer
07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm 5'10" and 172 lbs, with a 33" waist and 42" chest. Would a race-cut L fit me, or do I need a club-cut L?

I'm about the same size as you (except 1" taller) and both will fit. The race cut will be snug (form fitting) in the shoulders and chest but you won't feel like a sausage in casing. The club cut will fit you more comfortably (not form fitting but not very loose) but not so large that it will flap around when you ride.

fiamme red
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm about the same size as you (except 1" taller) and both will fit. The race cut will be snug (form fitting) in the shoulders and chest but you won't feel like a sausage in casing. The club cut will fit you more comfortably (not form fitting but not very loose) but not so large that it will flap around when you ride.Thanks for the information!

I do prefer my jerseys a little snug in the chest, so I'm glad that I just ordered the race cut.

xjoex
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
This is the Voler club cut medium, this pic was when I was at my heaviest I am 5'10 148pds.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rt9xi3-WrlE/T6fSbDNEeRI/AAAAAAAAFZc/3fHSfF_Fizk/s640/photo%25282%2529.JPG

-Joe

palincss
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Club cut will be full-spec 5BBC, not that there's anything wrong with that.

What does that mean? The only reference I could find to the acronym was the Five Boroughs Bicycle Club, and in context that makes no sense.

christian
07-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Fiamme and I are from NYC. It was a bit of a 5BBC vs NYCC joke. 5BBC is a (great) bicycle club, focused primarily on slower, more touring-oriented, rides. By and large, they suffer less from the skin-tight Lycra affliction than the "faster" local touring club, the NYCC.

The point was, it'd be loose-fitting. I suppose I should have just said that.

buldogge
07-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Odd...I'm 6'/185# with a 42" chest and the club L is nice for an everyday fit...XL race was OK as well. The jersey I have (from the co-op where I volunteer) is from 2011...FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

That's a good choice. I'm about 6' and 185 and the large club cut was huge. I ended up having it taken in around the chest.

Louis
07-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Sizing issues like this would be so much easier to resolve if jersey manufacturers simply told you 1) The pit-pit dimension of the jersey, when laying flat, and 2) The same side-side dimension measured 6" above the bottom of the jersey. Given that most manufacturers have web sites, how difficult would it be to post this sort of info?

That would take 97.54% of the guesswork out of it.

Ti Designs
07-20-2012, 08:26 PM
As a general rule, race cut fits guys who have a racer's body, club cut fits guys who don't. Watch the tour, those guys are racers. Look in the mirror, be honest, order the right jersey.

The thing that pisses me off is how often I'm given club cut jerseys. When a team that I coach ordered race cut jerseys they gave me club cut. All of my shop's jerseys are club cut. If I ever decide to gain 30 pounds, I'm all set...

54ny77
07-20-2012, 08:37 PM
As one who currently wears club cut, there is no uniformity in that universe either. Jersey dimensions is the right answer, has nothing to do with mirrors! Ive got a half dozen different brands in large and none are the same.

A medium race cut voler is not the same, for example, as a regular medium hincapie stuff (of which i have both--and they both sure as heck dont fit right now!).

As a general rule, race cut fits guys who have a racer's body, club cut fits guys who don't. Watch the tour, those guys are racers. Look in the mirror, be honest, order the right jersey.

The thing that pisses me off is how often I'm given club cut jerseys. When a team that I coach ordered race cut jerseys they gave me club cut. All of my shop's jerseys are club cut. If I ever decide to gain 30 pounds, I'm all set...

mack
07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
With this extended heat and my lack of riding lately, I'm starting to edge into the "ain't gonna be pretty realm"..........LOL, rung my bell tonight.
thanks 54NY77.......goodonya.

more than that, and it ain't gonna be pretty....