PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate OT (Aurora Shooting)

firerescuefin
07-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Dark Night premier.....single gunman, 14 dead, more in critical condition.

yakstone
07-20-2012, 07:05 AM
unbelievable

Wilkinson4
07-20-2012, 07:37 AM
I just woke to this news. Shocked. How many of these nut jobs that have this distorted sense of reality walk among us and do nothing? This has been a ****ty summer for the folks in my native state. So sad...

mIKE

bikerboy337
07-20-2012, 07:47 AM
thoughts and prayers to all those impacted by this. I can't fathom senseless acts like this... so so sad...

chevron
07-20-2012, 07:58 AM
its a sad day ,sympathy for the families

benitosan1972
07-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Killed-threatened while doing something as innocent as watching a movie, how senseless-cold blooded, truly unfortunate

norcalbiker
07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
What the h3ll is happening in this world?????????

GRAVELBIKE
07-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Got up this morning, looked at twitter, and saw the news. Thought to myself, "This can't be possible." Fired up chrome, checked the usual sources, and unfortunately, it was true.

People just wanted to see a damn movie.

John Price
07-20-2012, 11:44 AM
We live in Aurora. Getting lots of calls from people asking if we're okay. (Thankfully we are). A friend of my wife was at the movie, woman behind him was shot. Very sad indeed.

AngryScientist
07-20-2012, 11:46 AM
terrible news.

so many victims. even those who walked out of that theatre unscratched will be wounded somehow for sure. my thoughts are with all of those poor people, and their friends and families.

Rueda Tropical
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Hard to fathom the depravity something like this.

67-59
07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow - sooo sad. My heart goes out to the victims' families.

WAY too many angry people out there....

laupsi
07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
we seem to have our own form of "suicide" attackers the USA too, so senseless, nothing can't explain it, many, many lives ruined.

monkeybanana86
07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
i just saw this on the NY Times site. really bummed me out. there were servicemen in there too can you imagine coming back home and then this?!!
and all the kids who just wanted to watch a movie. asdfjalk

mgm777
07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
This morning when I heard the news, I immediately texted my sister, who lives in Aurora and has two teenagers. Her oldest, was attending the same premier. Thankfully, he was at a different theater. I think my heart skipped a few beats. My heart and prayers goes out to all the victims and their families. A senseless act of violence.

Wilkinson4
07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
We live in Aurora. Getting lots of calls from people asking if we're okay. (Thankfully we are). A friend of my wife was at the movie, woman behind him was shot. Very sad indeed.

Holy crap John. That hits close. Glad everything is ok.

mIKE

tuxbailey
07-20-2012, 11:17 PM
This sucks.

Wayne77
07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Apparently the police are having a hard time getting into the gunman's apartment. Lots of booby traps, rigged explosives, incendiaries and such.

Rather than asking the police to do it, I believe the proper protocol here is to have the gunman enter his own apartment and do the job...along with 10 or 20 chickens to keep him company.

...wait, that would be mean to the chickens.

I guess the next best thing would be to let him deactivate everything with a shovel and a pair of oven mittens.

"sorry man... We can't locate any wire cutters..."

In all seriousness though, I can't fathom what the families
and friends of the victims, survivors, responders, etc must be going through. My heart goes out to them.

Tailwinds
07-21-2012, 01:02 PM
It is very sad, and it seems like everyone at least knows someone who knows someone that was there that night. Horrible... and there are victims at Children's Hospital.

rdparadise
07-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes, this is very sad. The guy is a genuine lunatic. So sorry for those lost in this senseless act and all those injured. My prayers to the impacted families and friends.

Bob

Germany_chris
07-22-2012, 05:28 AM
http://www.naturalnews.com/036537_James_Holmes_Batman_shooting.html

Well someone asked the question..

verticaldoug
07-22-2012, 06:05 AM

I call bull****. Typical NRA strawman argument.

Real question:

1. Why is it legal to buy a AR15 Assault Rifle as a civilian?
2. Why is it legal to buy 100 round magazine (I guess you don't need to reload and I bet the incident did not take several minutes in the theater.)
3. Sure someone can shoot back, probably miss and more people get injured killed.

Germany_chris
07-22-2012, 07:06 AM
I call bull****. Typical NRA strawman argument.

Real question:

1. Why is it legal to buy a AR15 Assault Rifle as a civilian?
2. Why is it legal to buy 100 round magazine (I guess you don't need to reload and I bet the incident did not take several minutes in the theater.)
3. Sure someone can shoot back, probably miss and more people get injured killed.

"He was never shot at, stabbed, kicked, punched, tripped or attacked in any way whatsoever, apparently."

These pauses are opportunities to bum rush the guy, or shoot back, or throw something at him, or just punch him right in the jaw with everything you've got.

I see shooting as one option, not the solution. I think you couldn't carry in the theater. Had you not assumed what I was getting at that everyone should own a gun and carry it with them at all times you could move beyond it. What it actually says about folks who conceal carry (since it is a conceal carry state and they were not allowed to carry) is their confidence to defend themselves is through the gun, not in personal abilities. i.e. not losing your head when everyone around you is.

parris
07-22-2012, 08:04 AM
The tone of the article leans one way but the writer does bring up some good points to think about. Pro or anti gun we all should be able to agree that the killer spent a huge amount of time planning, purchasing, and unfortunatly carrying out his plan. I just read an article in the paper about how he had his apartment wired up. He wanted to kill people and unfortunatly for all involved he succeeded.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I've read very little about this tragedy, but, I'd bet he was bullied in school when he was younger, and/or recently, which was/is the start of being isolated. For lunatics like this, it usually starts there. Bullying is quite the epidemic. IMO.

saab2000
07-22-2012, 08:16 AM

That reads like something out of the www.theonion.com, which is satyrical.

That guy is a jackass for writing such unbelievably insensitive material.

goonster
07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
This crackpot also believes that the FBI planned and funded (http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html) the attack, to allow the UN to take away your guns.

Germany_chris
07-22-2012, 08:45 AM
This crackpot also believes that the FBI planned and funded (http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html) the attack, to allow the UN to take away your guns.

The man being a crackpot does not invalidate the question..

Why didn't people react? They did react on flight 93. What makes this different?

PQJ
07-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Why didn't people react? They did react on flight 93. What makes this different?

The fact that it was a completely different situation in every respect, perhaps.

John M
07-22-2012, 08:59 AM

People in Aurora were scared. The instincts activated in such a situation are fight or flight. Unless trained to deal with such stress, most will NOT choose fight over the natural flight instinct in the spur of the moment. Humans are not by nature aggressive animals. We don't need to defend our turf/young on a normal basis like a mama bear defending her young in the forest. Even then, the bear will usually run rather than confront a threat. In the confusion of what was going on, 99+% of people will choose to run or hide.

The flight 93 people knew from cell phone calls what had happened in New York, and they had time to organize. Not a fair comparison at all.

Tragic incident that is very sad and pointless.

saab2000
07-22-2012, 09:01 AM

It's a rhetorical question at best and absurd at worst. I work in a potentially high stress job in aviation. It is easy to preach after the fact on how people react in a life threatening situation. Fact is that none of us knows how we would react. Until you've been in that situation I think the answer remains unknown.

In 1998 Swissair (a carrier I was quite familiar with) had a crash involving a fire on the flight deck. For years people (mostly new pilots or non-pilots) have criticized and judged the actions of the crew. But the fact remains that only two pilots were in that airplane trying to figure out the problem and land safely. After the fact it is easy to question or judge, but nobody but those two were in those seats with fires literally dropping molten plastic on them as systems failed one at a time due to the fire. How we would or would not react in that situation remains unknown. You can't reproduce it in any simulator.

The theater in question was dark, noisy and people were concerned with 1) survival and 2) protecting loved ones with them.

To ask why nobody stood up to a man with a semi-automatic assault rifle in a crowded, screaming, dark, chaotic theater is absurd. Likely nobody even knew where he was standing.

The victims should not be insulted by questions like this.

SoCalSteve
07-22-2012, 09:02 AM
This topic looks like it is going to go downhill FAST.

It was a tragic, tragic event. Let's get past speculation, gun control etc and just send out good thoughts and prayers to the families.

Thank you