PDA

View Full Version : Bike fitting at hospital?

MattTuck
07-19-2012, 11:38 AM
I heard from a friend that the local orthopedics and sports medicine department will do a bike fitting as a medical procedure. I'm trying to get details on this, but getting a fit (if it is legit) for just a co-pay seems like a good deal.

Any experience with something like this? Too good to be true? A curse disguised as a blessing?

CaptStash
07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes.

There is a local Physical Therapist who is also one the top local bike fitters. He bills the fitting out as physical therapy so long as it is reasonably appropriate.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Saul

rpm
07-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Sure. Sports medicine clinics are increasingly getting into bike fitting and gait analysis for runners. Andy Pruitt started the trend--he's at a Boulder hospital. Like bike shop fitting, the quality of what you get will depend on the person doing the fit. I went to a local sports med fitter mainly out of curiosity. The guy was a PT, but I don't think he was a really experienced cyclist, so we talked mostly about stretching and strengthening exercises, which was his expertise, rather than fitting per se.

4Rings6Stars
07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Where is local? Local to the OP? If so, I would be interested in learning more as well...

I've been having knee and ulnar nerve issues and could probably justify a medical/PT bike fitting.

Yes.

There is a local Physical Therapist who is also one the top local bike fitters. He bills the fitting out as physical therapy so long as it is reasonably appropriate.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Saul

CaptStash
07-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Sorry,

Local to Seattle. Ex-bike racer and all around great guy. Matt spent some time out here and sometimes I forget that he's back in New England.

I have sent a few people to Erik (the PT fitter) after they mentioned similar problems to yours, and it is amazing how much a knowledgeable PT can help with a proper bike fitting.

CaptStash....

MattTuck
07-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Where is local? Local to the OP? If so, I would be interested in learning more as well...

I've been having knee and ulnar nerve issues and could probably justify a medical/PT bike fitting.

I have heard it being done at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH (2 hours north of Boston).

"Gleeson encourages people with new bikes who are not sure about the proper bike fit and seat height to bring their bikes in during their appointment. " from: http://patients.dartmouth-hitchcock.org/ortho/pt_role.html

Based on the description, it sounds a bit simple for some of the people here, as they are talking about basically getting seat height and fore-aft in the general area for new riders. I think it would depend a lot on the PT you got, and how experienced/knowledgeable they were.

foo_fighter
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
UC Davis does bike fits, I think Max Testa used to work there.
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/sportsmedicine/programs/biomechanical_tests.html

Many PTs also do bike fits and sometimes you can use FSA money for it.
There are a couple in the Bay area.

Puget Pounder
07-19-2012, 02:26 PM
My girlfriend got a fit at a physical therapy clinic at Group Health for $15. Find a PT who will bill it as a medical necessity i.e., back pain when biking or something along those lines. It really consists of matching body angles with a goniometer. Really easy to do with 2 people, but PTs are better at finding joint origins.

Ti Designs
07-19-2012, 04:08 PM
It really consists of matching body angles with a goniometer.

So a fitting at a hospital would be ill fitting?

firerescuefin
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey Matt...part of my fit with Pruitt was med based w/ copay

trunkz22
07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
PT and Bike Fits I feel go hand and hand. Been wanting to do it for awhile, just haven't gotten the balls to drop the cash yet =x.

InspectorGadget
07-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Last time I looked into it, Dr. Max Testa, TdF team physician - and at least one of the physical therapists that works with Dr. Testa - was doing bike fittings at The Othopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH) in Salt Lake City.

I never thought for a minute I could have my insurance cover a bike fitting.

67-59
07-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Never would've thought about it, but it makes sense. My vision plan paid for my (prescription) Rudy Project glasses from Sports Optical.:banana:

The key, as with any fitting, is to find someone who really knows what they're doing. I've had a couple of fittings that wouldn't have been worth the money...even if they were free.

firerescuefin
07-19-2012, 07:12 PM
My girlfriend got a fit at a physical therapy clinic at Group Health for $15. Find a PT who will bill it as a medical necessity i.e., back pain when biking or something along those lines. It really consists of matching body angles with a goniometer. Really easy to do with 2 people, but PTs are better at finding joint origins.

The folks (PTs) that do this around here (Denver/Springs/Boulder) have a pretty strong cycling background...and a medical performance bike fit is quite a bit more involved than just getting out a goniometer.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2012, 07:45 AM
I heard from a friend that the local orthopedics and sports medicine department will do a bike fitting as a medical procedure. I'm trying to get details on this, but getting a fit (if it is legit) for just a co-pay seems like a good deal.

Any experience with something like this? Too good to be true? A curse disguised as a blessing?

Boulder Center for Sports Medicine, Andy Pruitt, does this all the time. I had a fit post being hit by a car that my insurance paid for.

Puget Pounder
07-20-2012, 12:29 PM
The folks (PTs) that do this around here (Denver/Springs/Boulder) have a pretty strong cycling background...and a medical performance bike fit is quite a bit more involved than just getting out a goniometer.

I'm not seeing what your point is.

Yes, it is, or can be, more involved, but from several of my friends who got one here, that's exactly what happened. My girlfriend is in PT school right now and has already gone past her unit in sports med. For the average person without any complaints of pain, range of motion restriction, reflex problems, all they do is put them on a trainer, whip out the goni, match some optimum body angles, line up the cleats, and make adjustments as necessary.

Or... take me to school on this.

firerescuefin
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm not seeing what your point is.

Yes, it is, or can be, more involved, but from several of my friends who got one here, that's exactly what happened. My girlfriend is in PT school right now and has already gone past her unit in sports med. For the average person without any complaints of pain, range of motion restriction, reflex problems, all they do is put them on a trainer, whip out the goni, match some optimum body angles, line up the cleats, and make adjustments as necessary.

Or... take me to school on this.

Someone who has no issues is not going to be your "put on a bike, get out a goniometer set some angles and move on" If they have a pre-existing condition (back/hip/knee/etc), they are going to look at what is the condition/what's going on...do a full medical eval (history, strength, ROM-multiple joints and dynamic movements/flexibility of tissues that may be impeding ROM). They may find something that in addition to the fit might be able to be addressed and corrected along with fitting the person to the bike in a way that does not put them at further risk for injury (this is why med plans will pick this up)...if the problem is fixable (pt based)...the patient would work with the PT in conjuction with the fit, hopefull address imbalance, weakness, inflexibility issues and have a fit that starts out and progresses...safely.

I've worke extesively with Garmin's rehab physio (she is publishing a core fitness for cyclist book - "Tommy Ds Core Advantage" as well as we speak) and Andy Pruitt (2 med and 3 dimensional fits)

Puget Pounder
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Someone who has no issues is not going to be your "put on a bike, get out a goniometer set some angles and move on" If they have a pre-existing condition (back/hip/knee/etc), they are going to look at what is the condition/what's going on...do a full medical eval (history, strength, ROM-multiple joints and dynamic movements/flexibility of tissues that may be impeding ROM). They may find something that in addition to the fit might be able to be addressed and corrected along with fitting the person to the bike in a way that does not put them at further risk for injury (this is why med plans will pick this up)...if the problem is fixable (pt based)...the patient would work with the PT in conjuction with the fit, hopefull address imbalance, weakness, inflexibility issues and have a fit that starts out and progresses...safely.

I've worke extesively with Garmin's rehab physio (she is publishing a core fitness for cyclist book - "Tommy Ds Core Advantage" as well as we speak) and Andy Pruitt (2 med and 3 dimensional fits)

Agreed, but the scenario you state is for someone who does have some PMH or perhaps someone who is a high performance athlete that continuously sees a PT. If they don't have any significant complaints and are only coming in for a fit, at best, the PT will do some strength, range of motions tests, etc... to ensure that there is nothing really going on. Then they would work out the fit and tell the patient to come back if it feels off or if they encounter any problems. I'd say that your experiences are the kind of a special case scenarios for PTs who specifically focus on bike fits. Not saying that the general PTs who do bike fits are inadequate professionals, I'm just saying that, more often than not, it's not going to be as comprehensive as a fit that you describe.

firerescuefin
07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Agreed, but the scenario you state is for someone who does have some PMH. If they don't have any significant complaints and are only coming in for a fit, at best, the PT will do some strength and range of motions tests to ensure that there is nothing really going on.

But the OP was talking about a medical bike fit...not just a run of the mill one....now most people, even those that are non symptomatic would be well advised to have one (with a good PT) to address weaknesses/deficiencies before they lead to acute and/or chronic issues.

MattTuck
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM

No disrespect meant to Tom Danielson, but I'd think Ryder's name would sell more books.

firerescuefin
07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
No disrespect meant to Tom Danielson, but I'd think Ryder's name would sell more books.

Tommy D has had multiple disc issues (bulging/herniated)...he was a mess. He's super strong and stable now. She's been working with him for a long time...and he's really into it.

Puget Pounder
07-20-2012, 01:08 PM
But the OP was talking about a medical bike fit...not just a run of the mill one....now most people, even those that are non symptomatic would be well advised to have one (with a good PT) to address weaknesses/deficiencies before they lead to acute and/or chronic issues.

I guess I'm using medical bike fit in the loosest terms i.e., have a bike fit from a PT/medical prfoessional that is covered by your insurance vs what you describe as a specific set of exams/procedures done for a comprehensive fit. I've not heard of anyone I know going through what you've described, but I guess I'm not really looking either.

Now I see what you are talking about. Sorry for the dissent.

firerescuefin
07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I guess I'm using medical bike fit in the loosest terms i.e., have a bike fit from a PT/medical prfoessional that is covered by your insurance vs what you describe as a specific set of exams/procedures done for a comprehensive fit. I've not heard of anyone I know going through what you've described, but I guess I'm not really looking either.

Now I see what you are talking about. Sorry for the dissent.

No dissent...just a good exchange...After going through all I have...I try to shout it from the rooftops. I want everyone to enjoy this sport/activity at a high level & pain free.

MattTuck
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
No dissent...just a good exchange...After going through all I have...I try to shout it from the rooftops. I want everyone to enjoy this sport/activity at a high level & pain free.

:eek: What's the fun in that?

PS. I know what you're talking about, but if we wanted to avoid 'pain', this is not the sport for us. We should take up billiards or dart throwing. but eliminating 'bad' pain makes the 'good' pain much more enjoyable.

MattTuck
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Tommy D has had multiple disc issues (bulging/herniated)...he was a mess. He's super strong and stable now. She's been working with him for a long time...and he's really into it.

I have no doubt that Tom is the right person for the content of the book. Just saying that Ryder's name would sell more copies. Wasn't being a Tommy D hater, I like the guy. If the content is good, the book will make it to book shelves of people who really care. Just don't think there will be many 'impulse' buys based on name recognition.

firerescuefin
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I have no doubt that Tom is the right person for the content of the book. Just saying that Ryder's name would sell more copies. Wasn't being a Tommy D hater, I like the guy. If the content is good, the book will make it to book shelves of people who really care. Just don't think there will be many 'impulse' buys based on name recognition.

Agreed...That being said Allison is the best physyio I have every worked with...and the book should be great.

Brian Smith
07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
My hearsay is as follows:

A significant portion of recent years' "SICI" fit class participants have come from outside the realm of those in the business of selling you a bicycle or establishing your position on a new one. They brought, compared to classes from days of yore when only retail store fitters were present, a substantially higher level knowledge of the human body to the classroom and demanded a higher level of sophistication in the deliverables of instruction.

If a PT is able to treat you for injuries resulting from poor equipment setup, I don't see why they shouldn't also be able to advise in improving the setup toward the ends of reduced injury prevalence.