PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Folks: OEM Roof Rack

rugbysecondrow
07-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I am looking at ordering or purchasing a Subaru WRX and would like to have a roof rack on this vehicle. Any experience with the OEM rack or is there a better after market option?

Thanks

Paul

xjoex
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
We had a regular imprezza, we got the factory rack and then added Thule cross bars and echelon trays. Works great.

Although the new rocky mounts racks look great too. Low profile.

We traded in the imprezza for a forester and everything transferred over.

-Joe

dustyrider
07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Are you thinking sedan or wagon?

I don't think they offer roof rails, anymore but it wouldn't surprise me if you could purchase older style roof rails and have them installed. It's really just a matter of pulling the head liner and securing a few bolts, not a big job, just one that takes patience and time, if in fact the older style rails can be used.

I tend to think their cross rack is going to be a better system for their car over aftermarket, because of the way it is mounted. Not really sure what aftermarket mounting is like for the modern Subaru. But, I've seen the after market towers that grab the roof and just above the window dent the roof, on all four corners, of someone's older Subaru. I'm sure the company would say that they were installed incorrectly, but when you look at their design it certainly seems possible, even if installed correctly.

I have no idea what Subaru's bike rack is like, though I'm sure the major rack companies have designed a clamp to use with Subaru's cross bars, Subarus and bikes is pretty much all I see here in Colorado, so it's not like you'd be stuck with Subaru's bike rack.

Food for thought:

I like to take my roof rack off the car when I'm doing long distances and save just a wee little bit more in fuel. I have even stowed the bike and rack in the back when I've traveled back and forth between PNW and Colorado then reinstalled everything once I arrived. When you're driving 1800 miles in one shot if you can avoid bikes and racks on the roof, I figure it must be worth it.

There's always a hitch ,and hitch mounted rack!

clalor
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
I was going to ask sedan or 5-door as well. Don't take this as gospel since I was looking at '12 Imprezas, but I believe the WRX and last model Impreza 5-door models have rack mounting hardware built in to the roof, not sure about the sedan.

Hit the Subaru tech docs site and search for accessory installation guides for the model/year you're looking at. Sometimes you have to look for earlier years of that model to find the install instructions you're looking for. It may help answer your questions:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/search/index.html

SteveV0983
07-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a Legacy and although I haven't ordered it yet, I plan on getting a Rhino Rack. My neighbor had one and it seemed pretty sturdy.

g00dride
07-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a 2011 WRX 4-door and both the 4 and 5-door are equipped with rail mounts for a roof rack. I'm a fan of Yakima and I found a good deal on CL for a set of Control Towers.

The OEM rack is a good value route to go and they look cleaner. Heads-up that there aren't as many options to mount a wind fairing with the OEM rack. There's an Inno fairing that's a direct fit and there are hacks available to mount other brands.

Bruce K
07-20-2012, 03:27 AM
If you want to go Thule I have a full set of feet that attach to the factory mounting points that came off my son's Impreza wagon when it was totalled.

PM if you're interested.

BK

yngpunk
07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
I am looking at ordering or purchasing a Subaru WRX and would like to have a roof rack on this vehicle. Any experience with the OEM rack or is there a better after market option?

Thanks

Paul

I've heard that the Subaru (OEM) roof racks are made by Yakima. You might also want to check out some Subaru and WRX specific forums for more feedback on roof racks.

While not WRX specific, here are some good places to start:

North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club
http://forums.nasioc.com/

Subaru Outback Forum
http://www.subaruoutback.org/

rugbysecondrow
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Bruce, I might take you up on that, I will have to wait until I get the car in a few months. Hopefully I will be able to order a 2013 shortly.

Bruce K
07-20-2012, 10:05 AM
No worries.

We replaced the Impreza with a used Vovo C30 so they are currently sitting in the garage until we decidde what to do with the roof rack assembly.

If they are the same foot unit for the 2013 then I am sure we can work a good deal.

BK

kestrel
07-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Go to subaruoutback.org to check out the commentary on the factory rails. Even reports of bent or dented sheet metal from the factory rails flexing with two or more bikes on top.

Bruce K
07-21-2012, 11:31 AM
One of the reasons we went with the Thule version on the factory mounting points. Much sturdier.

BK

rphetteplace
07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
I had an 02 WRX wagon and currently have an 08 STI wagon. I had a Thule on the 02, but nothing on the 08. The placement of the roof rack on the 02 made it impossible to open the trunk with a bike on top! I ended up mounting the rack backwards so the bike was facing backwards. I'm sure it cost gas mileage, but if you buy a WRX gas mileage isn't ever going to be good.