PDA

View Full Version : OT: let's get current with what's next for Yahoo post Marissa Mayer?

eddief
07-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I know we can all be jokey about her looks, but what is the chance she can turn it around?

trunkz22
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
I think she'll turn it around in time. Question will be how far can she bring it up. I don't think Yahoo will ever reach its former glory.

dave thompson
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Yahoo is behind the times, even further behind than Microsoft.

monkeybanana86
07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
i don't know but it will be fun to watch. maybe she can convince them to remove some of the ads or at least put them in better places.

MattTuck
07-18-2012, 06:52 PM
I know we can all be jokey about her looks, but what is the chance she can turn it around?

she can turn it around in front of me any day. sorry. had to do it. no offense meant.

GuyGadois
07-18-2012, 06:59 PM
My guess is October 13th, 7lbs 6oz.

ultraman6970
07-18-2012, 07:13 PM
The only thing i can say is that the chick is pretty hot. Hope her temper is like her face, but to be in those high position probably the chick is really dangerous.

Ray
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
The only thing i can say is that the chick is pretty hot. Hope her temper is like her face, but to be in those high position probably the chick is really dangerous.

My guess is you probably wouldn't call her a chick to her face...

norcalbiker
07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
It's not going to be easy.

FlashUNC
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think anyone can fix Yahoo, because no one can really decide what Yahoo is.

Its this mish-mash of odd businesses, none of them are particularly compelling.

Is it a media company? A tech company? An advertising company?

crownjewelwl
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
She was in my class at Stanford...I give her 6 months before she gets fed up

Or perhaps I'm just bitter

tannhauser
07-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Yahoo has nothing to turn around. They're going in the direction that is inevitable for them. Down down down...

gasman
07-18-2012, 08:06 PM
She is smart as heck and a hard worker but the Yahoo board can't figure out what kind of company they want to be like others said. I think it is a ship that will continue to founder.

eddief
07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
He has a ton o buck invested and does not seem like the idiots who used to be on the board....and supposedly he found Marissa. Now the board has 4 new members. So maybe the time is now or never. $3B in the bank, 700M users per month. Gotta be some revenue there somewhere.

She is smart as heck and a hard worker but the Yahoo board can't figure out what kind of company they want to be like others said. I don't think it a ship that will continue to founder.

ultraman6970
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Sincerely? yes i would :) Don't work for her... so who cares?? No idea how the rack is but the chick has a cute face :D

My guess is you probably wouldn't call her a chick to her face...

93legendti
07-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Chick? Rack?

Wow.
Pretty low brow.

I wouldn't want anyone saying that about my daughter.

SoCalSteve
07-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Come on guys...

Please, let's turn this around or should we just close it?

Thanks!!!

victoryfactory
07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
star CEO's are just like star NFL coaches. Their magic works
in one place but not necessarily in the next.
And not in any one place for too long.
Unless she is able to "buy the groceries" that she is expected
to cook*, it will fail IMO

*Bill Parcells reference

VF

rugbysecondrow
07-19-2012, 06:42 AM
She seems like a good choice for them, hopefully she can help to turn them around as competition is good and I think a strong Yahoo will make a strong Google.

Yahoo, I only use it for Fantasy Sports...that is it these days as it is inadequte in nearly every other way. Otherwise, it is just cumbersome, slow, not user friendly etc. Yahoo is flawed though in that they seem to lack focus. they try to bring the whole internet to you, but they seem to trip over themselves doing so. Isn't this what AOL failed at, essentially tailoring a tool for the less savy users of the internet while anybody who knew how to use a search function and the address bar took to netscape, then google?

They need to really determine who they expect their users to be, then trim the fat and K I S S to that end.

Google has the best search function, my lay persons perspective, but they have tripped and fallen a few times as well, but have some big homeruns. Google Maps is great, much better than Mapquest or other companies that used to be prolific. Google Groups, Google Social Networking, swing and miss IMO. Luckily, they have had a few core functions that they are the best at so they can afford to swing and miss.

If she can establish a few core functions that Yahoo is the best at, or at least very very competitive at, then I think she will be successful. . A swing and miss is acceptable as it shows they are trying, but when they just are hacking away and not making contact, it is time to get back to basics a bit.

It seems like she has the chops and the accumen to do this. Sure, she is cute, but most successful women are attractive, actually a high percentage successful people are attractive, so this is not a suprise to me. People might try to underestimate her, but I would think it would be at their peril and not hers.

Just my very lay person opinion.

EDIT:

As an exercise, go to both of these sites, what are your thoughts?

https://www.google.com/

http://www.yahoo.com/

You can access nearly the same information on both of them, but one is a firehose and the other is not. One looks like a cluttered desk top where the other has thing neatly put away. One seems cogent and thoughtful while the other seems like it took little planning and little to no discerning. Time to clean house and it should start with the user interface, because it is just cluttered and aweful.

PQJ
07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Yahoo? What's a yahoo?

deechee
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I hope she can. If she can inspire the right people at the company, they've still got a lot of talented people working for them. A strong direction and the right ideas is all they need to leverage their huge user base.

As the Wikipedia entry states, Yahoo Mail is still the #2 webmail service in the world, and #1 in the US. Add the partnership with Nokia's growing ovi/nokia mail service and you've still got steady growth in terms of users. User base is still a very big part of the internet game (think Facebook.)

zap
07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Once I read that she was in charge of Google Local/Maps/Places I said forget about it.

But saying that, the move might be a good for her career. Who knows what her situation was at Google and if nothing else, she will learn quite a bit at Yahoo. That could serve her well post Yahoo.

fiamme red
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Yahoo? What's a yahoo?1. (in Swift's Gulliver's Travels) one of a race of brutes, having the form and all the vices of humans, who are subject to the Houyhnhnms.
2. (lowercase) an uncultivated or boorish person; lout; philistine; yokel.

boxerboxer
07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
yahoo? What's a yahoo?
1. A dude too busy leering to evaluate the actual merits of a female ceo

ftfy ;)

sandyrs
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Sincerely? yes i would :) Don't work for her... so who cares?? No idea how the rack is but the chick has a cute face :D

It's truly a wonder cycling doesn't attract more women with the likes of you around to judge their "racks."

jblande
07-19-2012, 09:18 AM
anyone here ever read Gulliver's Travels?
if so, these low-brow comments will not surprise.

GuyGadois
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Yahoo? What's a yahoo?

I believe this guy is a Yahoo, Seriously.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ikve2w.jpg

Germany_chris
07-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Those of you that say Yahoo doesn't know what Yahoo is, the is precisely why that lady is there.

boxerboxer
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Those of you that say Yahoo doesn't know what Yahoo is, the is precisely why that lady is there.

Ha! So true.

tannhauser
07-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Yes, but if she can find a profit-making product or service in that mess I'd be very surprised, is the point.

Even a genius has to start with something. Google is full of them.

Germany_chris
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes, but if she can find a profit-making product or service in that mess I'd be very surprised, is the point.

Even a genius has to start with something. Google is full of them.

Yahoo makes money 226m in the second quarter of 2012.

Once she defines what yahoo is she can then go about making more money.

tannhauser
07-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Yahoo makes money 226m in the second quarter of 2012.

Once she defines what yahoo is she can then go about making more money.

Oh, pretty simple then!

benb
07-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Flickr is the one Yahoo product I think of in terms of success. Flickr is very popular and highly regarded for photo sharing, at least among serious photographers.

But they are #2 in web email as well, that is surely bringing in a lot of ad revenue.

I've never read any of the books on "inside google" but it is an interesting pick for sure.. certainly a surprise.

Germany_chris
07-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh, pretty simple then!

Did anyone say simple?

Yahoo is a business that try's to be everything to everybody, that doesn't work well on the internet.

tannhauser
07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Did anyone say simple?

Yahoo is a business that try's to be everything to everybody, that doesn't work well on the internet.

No kidding. Rather than be super general perhaps we can pick a YHOO strong suit and see who their competitors in the field might be and what it would take to win the market's lions share.

Otherwise this person's credentials or lack thereof don't mean anything.

Germany_chris
07-19-2012, 04:41 PM
No kidding. Rather than be super general perhaps we can pick a YHOO strong suit and see who their competitors in the field might be and what it would take to win the market's lions share.

Otherwise this person's credentials or lack thereof don't mean anything.

Gee what was the title of this thread?

"what's your bet on new yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer"

By stating that she was there to define Yahoo, I place my bet on her.

The question posed was not what do you (all of us) think Yahoo ought to do to stay relevant in 2012. i.e. My business strategy for Yahoo wasn't asked for.

Since the obvious wasn't taken I'll just say that I'd put my money on her.

tannhauser
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Gee what was the title of this thread?

"what's your bet on new yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer"

By stating that she was there to define Yahoo, I place my bet on her.

The question posed was not what do you (all of us) think Yahoo ought to do to stay relevant in 2012. i.e. My business strategy for Yahoo wasn't asked for.

Since the obvious wasn't taken I'll just say that I'd put my money on her.

Good Lord. Here we go again.

Ok, then I assume you're going to go out right now and buy some Yahoo stock. I suppose it's a lot easier to say you have you money on her than actually do it.

Germany_chris
07-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Good Lord. Here we go again.

Ok, then I assume you're going to go out right now and buy some Yahoo stock. I suppose it's a lot easier to say you have you money on her than actually do it.

I don't buy tech, and it has cost me, over the last decade or so.

Tech is fickle, especially where Yahoo is sitting right now. Yahoo news integrates well into the social networks, but the social networks don't show signs of any strength. Now that Facebook is public they need to actually do something create a definable product. Add revenue is falling all over the net due mostly to Facebook. That same decline in add revenue is effecting Yahoo but Yahoo has actual and sellable product Yahoo news and Flickr. Monetizing flickr outside of adds is dicey because it's been a free service so long. Monetizing Yahoo news not so much, while free service there is precedent for moving to subscription.

If my name were Marissa I'd attempt to build an ecosystem out of Yahoo. custom home page for members that has news you care about, list of your IM friends with updates, a list of emails based on user set preference, new pictures your friends have uploaded to Flickr and updated forum posts for subscribed forums. Part google+, Tapatalk, Flipboard, and facebook. The first thing you check in the morning if you're under 40.

tannhauser
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Tech is fickle, especially where Yahoo is sitting right now. Yahoo news integrates well into the social networks, but the social networks don't show signs of any strength. Now that Facebook is public they need to actually do something create a definable product. Add revenue is falling all over the net due mostly to Facebook. That same decline in add revenue is effecting Yahoo but Yahoo has actual and sellable product Yahoo news and Flickr. Monetizing flickr outside of adds is dicey because it's been a free service so long. Monetizing Yahoo news not so much, while free service there is precedent for moving to subscription.

If my name were Marissa I'd attempt to build an ecosystem out of Yahoo. custom home page for members that has news you care about, list of your IM friends with updates, a list of emails based on user set preference, new pictures your friends have uploaded to Flickr and updated forum posts for subscribed forums. Part google+, Tapatalk, Flipboard, and facebook. The first thing you check in the morning if you're under 40.

Now we're talking.

Agree monetizing flickr will be difficult, news would be even more so I think due to its lack of sound editorial direction, i.e. much of its "content" is crowd-sourced from lit majors, or so it seems. NY Times it is not.

Building a Yahoo as a Facebook equivalent may have been a theoretically good move a few years ago, but with so many people quitting social media altogether (not that anyone ever used google+) perhaps the move is away from one-stop-shopping home pages. Come to think of it kids are moving to twitter for more privacy, altogether bypassing fb, though instagram is a big part of that.

Buying or shorting Yahoo now is only for those who didn't purchased tech stocks 10 yrs. ago. There's absolutely no way to have confidence in any company due to a lack of transparency and clairvoyance.

eddief
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
and that is why i have interest and posed the original question. hoping that Loeb, new board, and new CEO might be smart enough, brutal enough to turn it around. it is like an aircraft carrier and those big things can't turn on a dime.

just in case you've never seen the woman in action, she is on stage here for over an hour and running full bore the entire time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyvd9fyXpDM

Bob Loblaw
07-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Subtle genius

I believe this guy is a Yahoo, Seriously.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ikve2w.jpg

fogrider
07-19-2012, 10:51 PM
my best stock buy ever was apple at 68. sure there has been a few stocks that have not done so well but there has been more winners than losers at least for me. and it just takes a handful of winners to offset the losers and a few big winners to put me a head. looking at yahoo's numbers growth is slow for a tech company but their p/e is low and they're reporting their numbers tomorrow. their stock price is low for the revenue they generate, lets see where they are in year.

remember she was employee number 20 at google and she was responsible for a lot of where google is now. and now all the money is mobile. the internet is nothing if you're not in the cloud.

Germany_chris
07-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Now we're talking.

Agree monetizing flickr will be difficult, news would be even more so I think due to its lack of sound editorial direction, i.e. much of its "content" is crowd-sourced from lit majors, or so it seems. NY Times it is not.

Building a Yahoo as a Facebook equivalent may have been a theoretically good move a few years ago, but with so many people quitting social media altogether (not that anyone ever used google+) perhaps the move is away from one-stop-shopping home pages. Come to think of it kids are moving to twitter for more privacy, altogether bypassing fb, though instagram is a big part of that.

Buying or shorting Yahoo now is only for those who didn't purchased tech stocks 10 yrs. ago. There's absolutely no way to have confidence in any company due to a lack of transparency and clairvoyance.

I don't necessarily want Yahoo to become a facebook equivalent, it business is not sustainable. The one of the thing I like about yahoo news is it's lack of editorial direction there are "serious" news sources for that sort of thing.

Social media is on the wain right now because of the privacy concerns Facebook and Google just know far too much information about everyone. When the front page of tech review is "What Facebook Knows" tere is a problem.

Yahoo messenger could be used as twitter equivalent, you could even incorporate groupon into the home page.

Monetizing Flickr is as easy as making a 2.99 app that automatically loads photos taken on the phone to Flickr.

There is many directions for Yahoo to, its just locked in indecision right now.

The future is sandboxed browsers and mobile both of those things make collecting information the way Facebook does more difficult. Google is successful because Google has a product in search, Yahoo also has a product in flickr. The internet is full of free things that use the user as product, I think we're ready for a fee based service thats the product.

tannhauser
07-20-2012, 12:49 AM
There is many direction for Yahoo to, its just locked in indecision right now.

And with good reason -- potential focus means it could lose everything very quickly, versus dying a slow death.

We'll see -- it's products and services don't appear to be strong enough to stand on their own next to the leaders.

54ny77
07-20-2012, 01:22 AM
yahoo was THE go-to place for a handful of years, esp. the late 90's/early 00's.

i think i stopped using it around 2003.

is it still around?

kidding, but at one point the home page became pure chaos. full of crap in every visible pixel. that was the end of using it for me.

google's #1 best feature is the simple home search page. so elegantly simple interface.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Reported $100 million, 5 year compensation package. Yikes, she better be good. I wonder what her severence will be after she doesn't?

tannhauser
07-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Reported $100 million, 5 year compensation package. Yikes, she better be good. I wonder what her severence will be after she doesn't?

Enough to put Yahoo that much more into the hole.

54ny77
07-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey, a Serotta customer!

Any dealers in the bay area should call her up and say hi.

No extra decals though....:p

Germany_chris
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
yahoo was THE go-to place for a handful of years, esp. the late 90's/early 00's.

i think i stopped using it around 2003.

is it still around?

kidding, but at one point the home page became pure chaos. full of crap in every visible pixel. that was the end of using it for me.

google's #1 best feature is the simple home search page. so elegantly simple interface.

But then you need to deal with their data collection issues

54ny77
07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Yahoo could help. They have the technology.

Yahotta.

But then you need to deal with their data collection issues

Germany_chris
07-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Yahoo could help. They have the technology.

Yahotta.

When I search yahoo and data mining I get nothing newer than '08. It's just an article where they state they're going to keep individual data longer then 3 months.

My hope is that we've reached a point where data mining to sell ads is done.

tannhauser
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
When I search yahoo and data mining I get nothing newer than '08. It's just an article where they state they're going to keep individual data longer then 3 months.

My hope is that we've reached a point where data mining to sell ads is done.

If you know what Amazon's done to up the ante, I'd say we're nowhere close to seeing private data wars end.

Germany_chris
07-20-2012, 02:43 PM
If you know what Amazon's done to up the ante, I'd say we're nowhere close to seeing private data wars end.

What did they do? I'm a regular Amazon streaming movie user.

tannhauser
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
What did they do? I'm a regular Amazon streaming movie user.

The Fire Tablet. Google around for some reviews. I don't know where the story I read is.

Basically it co-opts Goog's browser while collecting where you go. Plus they have your personal info already so the result is a tailor-made proprietary selling mechanism.

Germany_chris
07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
The Fire Tablet. Google around for some reviews. I don't know where the story I read is.

Basically it co-opts Goog's browser while collecting where you go. Plus they have your personal info already so the result is a tailor-made proprietary selling mechanism.

Which is why they sold for something like $1 above cost, probably still do.

PQJ
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM

Well, there's also the crap factor associated with them (which makes me laugh at AMZN's rumored forthcoming smartphone).

tannhauser
07-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Exactly.

eddief
09-03-2012, 10:05 AM
being interviewed. Second vid on the page Kathy Savitt. A couple of commercials interrupt the vid, but the woman seems sharp re: selling stuff and socail media:

http://leaderswest.com/2012/08/29/yahoo-how-marissa-mayers-new-cmo-is-an-inspired-choice/

Germany_chris
09-03-2012, 03:35 PM
being interviewed. Second vid on the page Kathy Savitt. A couple of commercials interrupt the vid, but the woman seems sharp re: selling stuff and socail media:

http://leaderswest.com/2012/08/29/yahoo-how-marissa-mayers-new-cmo-is-an-inspired-choice/

This interview made me things about myself:

"A wise man ought always to follow the paths beaten by great men, and to imitate those who have been supreme, so that if his ability does not equal theirs, at least it will savour of it." -Machiavelli-

I do to much of this, therefore have become this:

"By searching out origins, one becomes a crab. The historian looks backward; eventually he also believes backward -Nietzsche-

because my belief system is built on this:

"So what if Jesus died on the cross.
So what about the f***er, I don't give a toss.
So what if the master walked on the water.
I don't see him trying to stop the slaughter."

"You're a part our machine because we want you to be.
We've got you now and you'll never be free.
We can even have your body after you're dead.
We can take the eyes out of your ****ing head.
Yes we'll take them out, use them again.
We can do it you know cos we've got your brain.
We'll crucify you like we crucified him.
We'll make you obey our every whim.
We got the power, the power and the glory.
I've heard that before in a different story.
But the story I heard covered up the truth,
Didn't touch on the actual factual proof.
Didn't say about the bodies in the concentration camps,
Didn't say about the (surgeons) knives underneath the lamps,
Doesn't say that the ovens are still warm,
Doesn't say that this wretched little form
Is a human being who wants to live
But not in the snot and **** they give.

They say that I had better keep quiet
Or they're gonna douse my light.
Jesus Christ can save my life,
But I can always use my knife."

Crass

CunegoFan
09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I think there is a lot that can be improved. The surprising thing about Yahoo has always been how utterly incompetent the company is.

For example, Yahoo has website hosting for small businesses. They charge for it. The management technology it uses to this day is from about 1995. Everyone else uses something like cPanel, which allows one to blow away an existing site, upload a ZIP containing a new version, and unpack the new site. Yahoo offers simple FTP. Build a site with a structure of sub-directories and you are screwed.

At one time Yahoo had huge traffic to the stock discussion boards. The never did anything to combat the spamming. They should have gone to a Slashdot-style comment rating. Yahoo's email spam protection sucked until GMail came along and forced them to up their game. Their directory could be improved a lot, and they charge three hundred bucks a year for that. Yahoo could have leveraged their paid directory into the type of services that are now provided by other business directories that allow editing of the company's profile, networking, and everything else.

eddief
09-07-2012, 09:19 AM
have always been mostly rant and rave and spamorama. Today when I checked out the the message board for Yahoo stock, there was a whole discussion about revamping the boards and a big banner at the bottom of the screen seeking user inputs. A novel idea. Go Marissa. Girl names ending in "a". Like go Danica.

eddief
05-18-2013, 11:03 PM
The company may not be doing better, but the stock is up about 80% in less than a year. Yeehaw.

Louis
05-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Eddie, maybe it's time for you to buy some Facebook stock. ;)

eddief
05-18-2013, 11:26 PM
but always open to good ideas to support the simple lifestyle. 3 bikes, 3 tv's, and a cat.

Eddie, maybe it's time for you to buy some Facebook stock. ;)

eddief
12-08-2015, 10:40 AM
would like to still come out a winner or at least even, and have not seen a better layman's explanation of what the hell Yahoo is trying to do.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynitti/2015/09/09/how-to-talk-about-the-yahoo-spin-off-without-embarassing-yourself

redir
12-08-2015, 11:33 AM
That made my head hurt.

fuzzalow
12-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the link. Fascinating stuff and never needed to go that far into the details of US Corp. Tax Code. At least tax code is defined so the trick is to make whatever pegs you've got fit the holes defined in the tax structure to get to the desired result.

And I own YHOO so I am not indifferent about the treatment on the gain but long ago resigned myself to just let it sit and whatever happens to it, happens. I think Ms. Mayer has more pressing concerns than tax structures to occupy her time and effort in steering YHOO. Tax structure is comparatively easy, Corporate competitiveness, even survivability, is not.

AJM100
12-08-2015, 12:32 PM
core business has no value. PPS increase over the last few years was based on the Alibaba stake valuation IMO.

benb
12-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Yahoo's been a loser since the late 90s... one they dump Alibaba it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Some of their only strengths seem to be stuff like fantasy sports.

They remind of AOL in the way they're undead.

fiamme red
02-01-2016, 10:10 PM
It just keeps getting worse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/technology/yahoo-employee-ranking-system-lawsuit.html

Ms. Mayer has steadfastly refused to use the word "layoff" to describe the thousands of jobs eliminated since she joined the company. She even forbade her managers from uttering what she called "the L-word," instructing them to use the term "remix" instead.

The lawsuit comes as Yahoo morale hits new lows. More than one-third of the company's work force has left voluntarily or involuntarily over the last year.

eddief
02-01-2016, 10:14 PM
that woman attracts the worst press. and you gotta believe it must mostly be true. I still own some, but not holding my breath on making decent or any money. break even would be cool.

verticaldoug
02-02-2016, 01:26 AM
MM sold 1/2 of the Yahoo stake in Alibaba for $7b. Took the proceeds and bought a bunch of overpriced startups which are currently worth about ZERO.
Meanwhile, the $7b of Alibaba she sold is worth about $30b. If she had done nothing but sit on her hands, Yahoo would be worth 2x what it is now.

For all of this value destruction, she has been paid about $250mm. She has done well.

54ny77
02-02-2016, 07:32 AM
yahoo was pretty impressive back in '98 or so.

since then, not so much....;)

oldpotatoe
02-02-2016, 07:41 AM
yahoo was pretty impressive back in '98 or so.

since then, not so much....;)

In the shop I had a guy who regularly sent frames and groups to me to build and send back. He works for yahoo..hope he doesn't leave or get canned.:eek:

MattTuck
02-02-2016, 07:44 AM
That was a crass remark I made on the first page... ouch. It was right when I was at a low spot with my divorce.. Not that it is an excuse. I'm embarrassed about saying that :(

AJM100
02-02-2016, 03:08 PM
she gonna get slammed tonight . . .

likebikes
02-02-2016, 03:38 PM
so why did they sell the alibaba stake?

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2016, 05:24 PM
I was a contractor at GE from 2010-2013, when I got laid off. I heard some nightmare stories from core GE employees about the Jack Welch days when they did this same thing. Managers had to rank their teams in relation to each other, and some bottom percentage got canned each year. So even if everyone in your team was stellar, somebody would lose their job every year because managers were forced to assign somebody a low ranking.

As for manipulating the performance review system to achieve mass layoffs without filing required notices, that seems pretty much a no-brainer. If all those employees were really fired for "performance reasons" then just look at how many of them have been replaced. I would wager few to none.

BBD

54ny77
02-02-2016, 05:27 PM
the ge-style mandatory weeding out process works really well when the managers doing the evaluating are really good and thus driving the business to exceed on every benchmark.

sucks when they're not.

I was a contractor at GE from 2010-2013, when I got laid off. I heard some nightmare stories from core GE employees about the Jack Welch days when they did this same thing. Managers had to rank their teams in relation to each other, and some bottom percentage got canned each year. So even if everyone in your team was stellar, somebody would lose their job every year because managers were forced to assign somebody a low ranking.

As for manipulating the performance review system to achieve mass layoffs without filing required notices, that seems pretty much a no-brainer. If all those employees were really fired for "performance reasons" then just look at how many of them have been replaced. I would wager few to none.

BBD

unterhausen
02-02-2016, 05:40 PM
if you have crummy managers, then they are constantly hiring crummy people and the good people will leave. So then the mandatory weeding works great. A lot of these schemes just seem to be a way of hiding age discrimination. Get rid of the higher salary folks. Bad economies promote bad management techniques.

goonster
02-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Here's how well this worked at Microsoft (http://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer).

"Every current and former Microsoft employee I interviewed - every one - cited stack ranking as the most destructive process inside of Microsoft, something that drove out untold numbers of employees."

“People responsible for features will openly sabotage other people’s efforts. One of the most valuable things I learned was to give the appearance of being courteous while withholding just enough information from colleagues to ensure they didn’t get ahead of me on the rankings.”

fuzzalow
02-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Here's how well this worked at Microsoft (http://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer).

"Every current and former Microsoft employee I interviewed - every one - cited stack ranking as the most destructive process inside of Microsoft, something that drove out untold numbers of employees."

撤eople responsible for features will openly sabotage other people痴 efforts. One of the most valuable things I learned was to give the appearance of being courteous while withholding just enough information from colleagues to ensure they didn稚 get ahead of me on the rankings.?

Coming from a non-expert, I'd agree forced-rankings is an extremely destructive and divisive.practice. Microsoft is captive to its own culture which creates its own set of fratricidal internecine corporate issues. Perhaps a more Google-like view is more conducive to unleashing the creativity necessary in the value formation of their intellectual capital.

I read this because it sounded fascinating to glimpse an approach to an un-knowable process in encouraging unleashing the mind: Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead (http://www.amazon.com/Work-Rules-Insights-Inside-Transform/dp/1455554790/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454468603&sr=1-2&keywords=google)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Df4YVLvbL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

As far as Ms. Mayer, I do not believe that she has a plan left for Yahoo. At this point, the priorities in her immediate corporate ethos might well have surely turned inward looking to her own survival above the interests of the corporation she was asked to lead.

unterhausen
02-02-2016, 09:55 PM
both Yahoo and Microsoft are examples of companies where I simply have no idea what they should do next. Yahoo has had no reason to exist for years now. They got into a lot of internet businesses very early, and they didn't win out in any of them. Microsoft failed to see every big advance since 640kb was enough memory for anybody and only succeeded by following their customers.

verticaldoug
02-03-2016, 01:21 AM
so why did they sell the alibaba stake?

probably a condition for her to get the job since it is what an activist investor wanted.

Mobile revenue growth is what is driving google, facebook. Mayer kept thinking inside the box on trying to fix the traditional yahoo home page, and diversify content. She needed to focus on a redesign of Yahoo for mobile. The extremely cluttered homepage doesnt work for mobile. That was the opportunity and it has moved on.

Apple is the one to watch now. It ran on the Steve Job idea pipeline momentum for awhile, now the idea pipeline is dry. The red flag will be Cook making an acquisition..... the company already has an activist involved. . . what does an 80 yr old know about tech.

fiamme red
02-17-2016, 10:12 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/technology/yahoo-closes-online-magazines-a-costly-experiment-by-marissa-mayer.html

“It’s kind of a blood bath over here,” said one employee who was laid off, who requested anonymity because talking to the media could jeopardize her severance package. “Only a handful of people are staying.”

FlashUNC
02-17-2016, 10:18 PM
probably a condition for her to get the job since it is what an activist investor wanted.

Mobile revenue growth is what is driving google, facebook. Mayer kept thinking inside the box on trying to fix the traditional yahoo home page, and diversify content. She needed to focus on a redesign of Yahoo for mobile. The extremely cluttered homepage doesnt work for mobile. That was the opportunity and it has moved on.

Apple is the one to watch now. It ran on the Steve Job idea pipeline momentum for awhile, now the idea pipeline is dry. The red flag will be Cook making an acquisition..... the company already has an activist involved. . . what does an 80 yr old know about tech.

They already made one, its why they're trying to push crappy headphones on you whenever you go into the store.

peanutgallery
02-18-2016, 06:05 AM
In typical mba fashion, she took something and managed it into nothing and then walks away even richer

You should see this crap when applied to nonprofit management, even more ineffective

fiamme red
12-14-2016, 09:22 PM
More bad news...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161214006239/en/

OtayBW
12-15-2016, 04:17 AM
1 billion breach reported yesterday on an event that occurred >1 year ago. That, in addition to a separate major (500K) event in August. From an e-mail that went out yesterday from the Yahoo Chief Information Security Officer:Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen our defenses. Mmmkay....

eddief
12-15-2016, 07:32 AM
:)

texbike
12-15-2016, 08:37 AM
The prior breach created a (faster) sinking ship out of Yahoo. This one could send it to the bottom. The delayed breach disclosures are almost criminal.

Verizon has been close to walking on the acquisition after the first breach announcement. Either this completely kills the deal or Verizon picks up Yahoo at a fire sale price. It'll be interesting to watch!

Texbike

OtayBW
12-15-2016, 12:31 PM
The prior breach created a (faster) sinking ship out of Yahoo. This one could send it to the bottom. The delayed breach disclosures are almost criminal.

Verizon has been close to walking on the acquisition after the first breach announcement. Either this completely kills the deal or Verizon picks up Yahoo at a fire sale price. It'll be interesting to watch!

Texbike
Agree 100%.

MattTuck
12-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Damn. Paceline Fantasy Football league may have to switch to a different provider.

vqdriver
12-15-2016, 01:36 PM
to be honest, i don't know how much i blame companies for security breaches anymore. banks, retailers, governments, etc seem to announce these things almost monthly. they have more sensitive info (ssn and cc info in addition to usernames and passwords). not to say that yahoo is somehow off the hook, but my understanding is that hackers will always be a step ahead in this game and unless someone is leaving something unlocked or is otherwise negligent, i don't know if it's realistic to expect lockdown security without fail.

one thing we don't know with any of these breaches is how many times the hackers failed before gaining access. remember, hackers only have to be right once, whereas the security people have to be perfect.

but i agree, the delayed notification is what's more worrisome and perhaps indicative of how things are going over in yahooland.

seric
12-15-2016, 02:02 PM
They've been very aggressive in recruiting for the Director of Security Engineering position.

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/hallq/files/2013/03/AztecsHumanSacrifice-208x300.gif

eddief
01-10-2017, 07:52 AM
do their shares somehow convert to Verizon shares and some convert to the new Altaba holding company?

verticaldoug
01-10-2017, 11:34 AM
do their shares somehow convert to Verizon shares and some convert to the new Altaba holding company?

no, the company gets 4.5b in cash.
old yahoo shares convert to newco Altaba shares. Settlement is still TBA.
Resulting newco will be about 13.5b in cash, 37b in Alibaba stake and 8.5b Yahoo Japan stake total 59b vs mkt cap of 40b right now. If Trump changes tax rates, the discount value of newco should change to reflect after tax consequences for investors in a newco unwind.

eddief
01-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Could end up ok or better for hanging on. Not that much invested, but would be great to come out in the black at some point.

no, the company gets 4.5b in cash.
old yahoo shares convert to newco Altaba shares. Settlement is still TBA.
Resulting newco will be about 13.5b in cash, 37b in Alibaba stake and 8.5b Yahoo Japan stake total 59b vs mkt cap of 40b right now. If Trump changes tax rates, the discount value of newco should change to reflect after tax consequences for investors in a newco unwind.

RC.
01-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Altabaaaaaaaaa. Hmmm. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

54ny77
01-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Yahoobaba and the 40 point drop.

verticaldoug
01-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Yahoobaba and the 40 billion thief.

If they had never sold 1/2 their stake in Alibaba, the company be worth 37.5b more. (almost 40 for those weak in math)

Instead, the gold girl, sold the 1/2 stake at 8billion then proceeded to acquire silicon valley startups to build out yahoo's busines which are almost all essentially worthless now. (Okay, I will be generous and say she spent 8b to enhance value of existing internet business so she could sell the entire package to verizon for 4.8b)

Tony T
03-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Yahoo’s Top Lawyer Resigns and C.E.O. Marissa Mayer Loses Bonus in Wake of Hack (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/technology/yahoo-hack-lawyer-resigns-ceo-bonus.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=14&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2017%2F0 3%2F01%2Ftechnology%2Fyahoo-hack-lawyer-resigns-ceo-bonus.html%3F_r%3D0&eventName=Watching-article-click&_r=0)

MARCH 1, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO — Yahoo’s top lawyer, Ronald S. Bell, resigned Wednesday, and its chief executive, Marissa Mayer, lost her 2016 bonus after a board investigation of the 2014 theft of information on more than 500 million user accounts.

Ms. Mayer, who will also give up her 2017 equity compensation in connection with the incident, said in a statement that she did not learn of the breach until September 2016, when Yahoo first disclosed the hack to the public. “However, I am the C.E.O. of the company and since this incident happened during my tenure, I have agreed to forgo my annual bonus and my annual equity grant this year,” she wrote.

Under Ms. Mayer’s employment agreement, her annual target bonus is $2 million a year and her annual stock award is supposed to be no less than $12 million a year. Her base salary is $1 million a year.

rnhood
03-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Mayer was a bad CEO for reasons other than their hacked account. She was a female in the right place at the right time, and if she never makes another penny she still has way more than she can ever spend.

eddief
03-03-2017, 05:00 PM
wonder how the stock will do after the sale.

colker
03-04-2017, 07:22 AM

IMO Amazon is the model right now but they don´t have the communication angle: social network and mail, so they cannot be the king. I would put Yahoo on a diet and slim the comunication front while partnering for the shopping experience till you can buy your partners. That´s where the money is: simple straightforward buying selling service. There is too much competition at the language front and nothing new will come out of the woods. Facebook is all about politics and became a mined battlefield. It´s good for them but a horrible expereince for anyone else. Their instagram is vapid. No one wants to waste time w/ self righteousness or art pretentiousness: I shop therefore i am. Build social networks around shopping not around politics. There is too much time being wasted on the internet. Make yahoo into a slim, fast, objective highway to get things done. It does not matter if it´s hard to learn the language: we will learn the tech. The net is too much playground and not enough objectivity right now except for amazon.

Gsinill
04-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Looks like Marissa Mayer is going to walk away with $186M :eek:

eddief
04-25-2017, 09:21 PM
I was the OP on this thread. I still own some and it's in the black. But she did way better than I did. The whole concept of this level of our capitalism makes wanna puke.

R3awak3n
04-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Looks like Marissa Mayer is going to walk away with $186M :eek:

what an amazing country. Someone does a terrible job and gets $186m.

I still own some yahoo, its finally getting to the price I bought it at. Prob will keep for a bit and try to gain some profit and then sell

fiamme red
04-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Sickening. A month ago it was only supposed to be $23 million: http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-yahoo-mayer-20170313-story.html.

I can imagine how the former Yahoo employees who were victims of Mayer's layoffs -- or in her words, "remixes" -- feel.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Hey, at least she isn't hiding from almost certain indictment, like Elizabeth Holmes.

Tony T
04-26-2017, 10:01 AM
I wonder which troubled company will hire her next — Twitter, Pandora?
She must be good if her last position paid her $186,000,000, right? ;)

Mr. Pink
04-26-2017, 10:02 AM
I was the OP on this thread. I still own some and it's in the black. But she did way better than I did. The whole concept of this level of our capitalism makes wanna puke.

I worked for Time Inc most of my adult life, so, you know, don't get me going. My introduction to this cronyism was back when Time Inc. merged with Warner Brothers to create Time Warner. (Yes, the Time Warner that later merged with AOL, that now is cited as the worst merger in history, but, we're not going there right now) when the Time Warner merger was announced, various executives from my company had to publicly announce that they received very substantial sums of money after it happened. About ten million dollars each, which, of course, is pocket change these days, but, was quite a lot in 1990 or so, for, you know, DOING NOTHING! I could never figure out, and nobody could explain to me why a CEO of a public company that was essentially just bought, deserves a king's ransom. But, as we've seen, it's gotten much, much worse these days.

eddief
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
anyone can grow up to be president or a rich corporate do-nothing...or both. luck, talent, drive, right place right time. we see so much proof all the time.

fa63
04-26-2017, 10:28 AM
America, the land of opportunity.

And golden parachutes.

Ralph
04-26-2017, 10:36 AM
I don't fault her for anything....they hired her and made the contract with her. Directed her actions.

eddief
04-26-2017, 10:41 AM
not about her. It's about something else.

I don't fault her for anything....they hired her and made the contract with her. Directed her actions.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
luck.

I've recently read a few pieces by and interviews of some VIPs in our society, and most, almost all, excepting, of course, a certain real estate developer in the news a lot (cough cough) will honestly admit how much luck played a part in their success. I do, and I'm only a fairly comfortable schlub in late life. Hell, I could have gone to jail a few times for stupid things I did.

Gsinill
04-26-2017, 10:49 AM

I don't think anybody blames HER.

likebikes
04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
it's hilarious to me that yahoo! is under discussion in 2017.

i haven't visited their website for probably 10 years.

eddief
04-26-2017, 10:58 AM
to determine what Altaba will be worth in 2 years.

shovelhd
04-26-2017, 11:08 AM
I worked for Time Inc most of my adult life, so, you know, don't get me going. My introduction to this cronyism was back when Time Inc. merged with Warner Brothers to create Time Warner. (Yes, the Time Warner that later merged with AOL, that now is cited as the worst merger in history, but, we're not going there right now) when the Time Warner merger was announced, various executives from my company had to publicly announce that they received very substantial sums of money after it happened. About ten million dollars each, which, of course, is pocket change these days, but, was quite a lot in 1990 or so, for, you know, DOING NOTHING! I could never figure out, and nobody could explain to me why a CEO of a public company that was essentially just bought, deserves a king's ransom. But, as we've seen, it's gotten much, much worse these days.

That's a bit different. If they were founders or early employees of the company, received restricted stock options, and cashed them in upon an IPO/M&A activity, they earned it. That's not the same as a golden parachute, where failure is rewarded.

54ny77
04-26-2017, 11:35 AM
i last looked at it circa 1999-2000-ish. back when it started becoming very bloated and useless.

sounds like it hasn't changed much.

it's hilarious to me that yahoo! is under discussion in 2017.

i haven't visited their website for probably 10 years.

Ralph
04-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Yahoo has a very useful financial section. (but nothing you can't get else where)

Mr. Pink
04-26-2017, 05:01 PM
That's a bit different. If they were founders or early employees of the company, received restricted stock options, and cashed them in upon an IPO/M&A activity, they earned it. That's not the same as a golden parachute, where failure is rewarded.

Nope, not founders. Not even early employees. And, fine, they may have had certain classes of stock, due to their position, and options, but the employees did, too, due to a robust stick buying plan. (this was well before 401ks got big, and IRAs were very young. We did have pensions. It was like living in France, with all the other benefits.) Now, if they did have options, the SEC requires public disclosure of that sale. Never saw that. Just, so and so and his underlings all dressed the same from the same Ivy school received an eight figure fee or bonus or however they called it for this wonderful thing they did. We saw nothing, and the shareholders, as always, got screwed, too.

eddief
05-16-2017, 01:49 PM
will my current shares convert to Altaba shares and in what ratio of current to Altaba?

maybe this is the clue...i don't understand:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-announces-commencement-tender-offer-100000221.html

will i be rich soon?

54ny77
05-16-2017, 02:27 PM
you'll get coupons from alibaba to buy some fake rapha and pinarello frames....:butt:

awhile ago i went on to alibaba to check out purchasing some items for a commercial setting. it felt like one giant scam, with no hope of products ever seeing the light of the doorstep.

so instead i went to global industrial. located right nearby in long island (their headquarters), and we have purchased many things from them in the past. never an issue. and it supports local employees.

will my current shares convert to Altaba shares and in what ratio of current to Altaba?

will i be rich soon?

fiamme red
10-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Great work, Marissa! :rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/technology/yahoo-hack-3-billion-users.html

That investigators did not discover the full extent of the 2013 incident before Verizon closed the deal to acquire Yahoo in June was surprising to outside cybersecurity analysts.

“Frankly, I don’t know how Yahoo got away with this,” said Jay Kaplan, a former Defense Department cybersecurity expert and senior analyst at the National Security Agency who is now the chief executive of the cybersecurity company Synack.

After Yahoo discovered that one billion accounts were affected, it should not have been a stretch to consider that all of the company’s user accounts had been compromised, he said. “My guess is that Yahoo was completely ‘owned’ across the board,” Mr. Kaplan said.