PDA

View Full Version : Helmet glue & front wheel hooks..

veggieburger
07-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Two questions for my esteemed fellow forum members:

1. The pads have come off the inside of my giro helmet. What kind of glue can I use that won't damage the styrofoam?

2. If I hang a bike by its front wheel with one of those handy-dandy hooks, can I throw the wheel out of true?

Thanks!

Bruce K
07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I think rubber cement is safe on the foam but use it sparingly

Wheels should be safe - search the forum as Zi believe we hashed this out recently

BK

dustyrider
07-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Not sure why you'd want to glue the pads into your helmet. Don't you wash them from time to time? I use the coarse side of little velcro dots for the pads in my helmets, like these (http://www.velcro.com/en/Products/Adhesive-Backed/Everyday/Wafer-Thins.aspx).

I'm certain the hook question has been discussed on the forum before...I've never given it much thought myself, I've seen bikes hang in the same spot on the same hook for years and never noticed any wheel distortion.

Wilkinson4
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
The thing about hanging a wheel by the hook is that the rubber piece over the hook may deteriorate over time exposing the metal under and that could gouge or markup the inside of your rims. Alum rims, no big deal. Carbon, could be.

I usually will wrap inner tube around the hook portion for extra padding.

mIKE

merlincustom1
07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
I've been hanging bikes by the wheels on hooks for 24 years. It's a non-issue.

pdmtong
07-18-2012, 07:23 PM
go to a craft store and buy those velcro dots with adhesive back...dont glue your pads in.

veggieburger
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
No,no...I don't glue my pads in. The Velcro bits peel off when I pulled the pad out, they no longer stick to the styrofoam. I think my head sweats too much.

sworcester
07-19-2012, 09:10 AM
get new pads from your LBS