PDA

View Full Version : Athena EPS

firerescuefin
07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/campagnolos-new-11-speed-athena-eps-puts-electronic-shifting-within-easy-reach_230270

FlashUNC
07-17-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm a little confused on the author's insistence you can't use EPS with external routing. Has he forgotten about zip ties?

Steve in SLO
07-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Per Bicycle Retailer, campy is going for the OEM market with Athena:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/6995.html
I still can't find MSRP

rice rocket
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Well that came out rather quickly. I guess they're late to the market anyways, might as well try to flood it.

Still, I'm confused as to why they chose to name it/group it as Athena instead of Chorus?

Steve in SLO
07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Purportedly so they could hit an OEM pricepoint.

ultraman6970
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Yes they could but IMO it will look like crap with zip ties everywhere.

Dunno... why they did not come with a version where the cables are inside if a RD or brake cable casing?? You cut the thing, the bike will look like having regular cabling and might look more descent than having zip ties everywhere.

Somebody has to come with a solution because there's a lot of carbon bikes not designed for electronic and will suck not to be able to figure it out a good way to make it work w/o using zip ties everywhere.

I'm a little confused on the author's insistence you can't use EPS with external routing. Has he forgotten about zip ties?

ultraman6970
07-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Hmmm... adhesive long cable guide under the downtube hmmm...

apeescape
07-18-2012, 01:21 AM
the only issue with external routing is no way to take up slack of the extra cable. But I've never had an EPS groupset in my hands to install. While at the EPS certification I asked about external routing and they said the system was designed for internal use only.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Well that came out rather quickly. I guess they're late to the market anyways, might as well try to flood it.

Still, I'm confused as to why they chose to name it/group it as Athena instead of Chorus?

Cuz in spite of a Chorus cogset and chain, the materials most closely ressemble
Athena.

No pricing yet because it was just announced. Probably very close to the Record Mechanical price ala ultegra Di2.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Dunno... why they did not come with a version where the cables are inside if a RD or brake cable casing?? You cut the thing, the bike will look like having regular cabling and might look more descent than having zip ties everywhere.

Somebody has to come with a solution because there's a lot of carbon bikes not designed for electronic and will suck not to be able to figure it out a good way to make it work w/o using zip ties everywhere.

Have you actually installed an electronic group onto a non electronic frame? Geeez Loueezze, it doesn't look any worse than when Powertap had wires or external der housing or cables. Under the downtube, under the RH chainstay.

Zipp ties everwhere? please.

Andreas
07-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Campagnolo Athena EPS Ergos with cables Ribble price £207.95
Campagnolo Athena EPS 11 Speed Front Derailleur Ribble Price £336.95
Campagnolo Athena EPS 11 Speed Rear Dearailleur Ribble Price £369.95
Campagnolo EPS (Athena) Interface Ribble Price £101.95

as listed on ribble cycles

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 07:54 AM
the only issue with external routing is no way to take up slack of the extra cable. But I've never had an EPS groupset in my hands to install. While at the EPS certification I asked about external routing and they said the system was designed for internal use only.

Balderdash. How could it be designed as 'internal only'. Afraid of the sunlight?

Decent wrenches have been 'taking up the slack' of cable for computers for decades...c'mon, this isn't that complicated.

FlashUNC
07-18-2012, 07:55 AM

There's one cable that runs from the shifters to the battery, and two cables from the battery to the respective derailleurs. Everything else, even on an external routed frame, is hidden.

I don't see how that would be zip ties everywhere.

ultraman6970
07-18-2012, 08:04 AM
If we are talking about an old frame in steel, how in the world are you going to hide the cables?? with masking tape? :) well is not a bad idea anyways.

In carbon internal routed cabling frames not sure if the cables will pass i the holes, at least shimano cables are like regular cable casing, campagnolo sends the stuff with wires that are just that, wires plus those big ass plugs.

Somebody needs to come with some aftermarket solution, besides is just cable how hard is for them design something like shimano di2 wiring.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 08:08 AM
If we are talking about an old frame in steel, how in the world are you going to hide the cables?? with masking tape? :) well is not a bad idea anyways.

In carbon internal routed cabling frames not sure if the cables will pass i the holes, at least shimano cables are like regular cable casing, campagnolo sends the stuff with wires that are just that, wires plus those big ass plugs.

Somebody needs to come with some aftermarket solution, besides is just cable how hard is for them design something like shimano di2 wiring.

Big Ass Plugs?

You mean the connectors? As for wired systems, the Campag one is much more secure with far fewer connections than Di2.

Still don't see what the fret is about. It really is small potatoes.

FlashUNC
07-18-2012, 08:37 AM

Its easy enough to spool up any excess cable and zip tie it to the frame, once you get all the lengths sorted out. My old Avocet computers always seemed to have excess cable, yet somehow they were able to get mounted without looking like a rat's nest.

For EPS, you're routing one cable from the bars to the downtube, and then two cables for the FD and RD. The shifter cables route right into the head unit on the stem.

Its not as if there's a half dozen cables going everywhere all over the bike.

Elefantino
07-18-2012, 09:56 AM
EPS and disc brakes are in the future. Probably the former before the latter, because Serotta will probably charge three arms and four legs to retrofit a ti bike for discs.

fourflys
07-18-2012, 11:00 AM
It really is small potatoes.

Or Old Potatoes.... Sorry, had to... :)

Sometimes I miss the sex of my Campy group...

Germany_chris
07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
EPS and disc brakes are in the future. Probably the former before the latter, because Serotta will probably charge three arms and four legs to retrofit a ti bike for discs.

The former I'll probably have retrofitted with the new fork build this winter. The latter even at Athena prices is for someone else.