PDA

View Full Version : Big Guy saddle question

echelon_john
07-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Any of you 200+ punters riding the Selle SMP Avant, Pro, or Plus?

What were you riding before? How would you compare the SMP? Likes/dislikes?

Big boys only, please. Everybody knows if you're 150 pounds you could sit on a 2x4 and it would be comfortable.

I've been riding old-school Turbos and Concor Supercorsas but am interested in potentially moving into the present century.

Nooch
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
buddy of mine (220+) was pushing a glider for a long time, claimed it to be the most comfortable saddle he ever used.. but he likes to try things, so he bounces around alot.

make sure the sit bone dimension is right, and go from there... you know i'm a portly 205 and i ride a flite gel because I have narrow sit bones, but need a hair more cushion for pedal pushin...

MattTuck
07-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Will be interested to see where this thread goes. I don't have any experience with the saddles you mention, but at 220 pounds, I'd like a saddle that is more comfortable. I did demo a Prologo Scratch, which was comfy on the sitbone area, but not on the perenium.

So many things happening with saddles, height, fore/aft position, chamois, that even with an identical saddle, you could have totally different experiences with it. And that is not to mention the fact that everyone's anatomy is slightly different.

Germany_chris
07-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I uhh exceed the 200 pound weight limit.

I'm pretty comfortable on any saddle to include a 2x4 (I have enough padding)

I haven't found a selle or and fizik I like yet though..

Moving into this century isn't all it's cracked up to be, thats why I ride Brooks.

rodcad
07-17-2012, 03:03 PM
I have ridden B-17 Special's for years but lately my butt has been hating them. Been riding more too though. I bought a 155 Romin and it's ok, bought a 155 Phenom and LOVE it. I suggest trying out some demos at a shop that has them. It'll save you a ton of money experimenting.

vqdriver
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
I've got an SMP plus. It's comfy for about and hour or so. After that the pressure points start to get uncomfortable for me. But yeah. Worth a try.

jr59
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
At 265 I think I am the biggest guy on here. :confused:

I normally ride a B-17 Imperal, or a San Marco Rolls.

I tried an SMP plus for 35 miles it was ok, well a little better than ok.
It needed some fine tuning, some fine adjustment, so I took off 2 weeks ago this tues morning, to get it fitting just right!

I got run over by an 18 wheeler! :eek:

Needless to say, the seat became a non-issue.

I am pretty sure that it will work out fine, that is if I do.

it's worth a try, IMO!

Germany_chris
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM

It needed some fine tuning, some fine adjustment, so I took off 2 weeks ago this tues morning, to get it fitting just right!

it's worth a try, IMO!

Nope, I have you beat still.

teleguy57
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
100kg, tried saddle after saddle. Can ride an SMP Pro forever! Quite sensitive to tilt/positioning though.

Of course, I can't be happy with almost excellent -- now trying a 155 Romin Evo and like it quite a bit. I think the SMP Pro has the edge of comfort, but staying with the Evo Pro for now. Also am considering the Dynamic/Lite 209 SMP model -- the next narrower from the Pro with different padding.

I may put my used SMP Pro in the classifieds one of these days, but not ready to let it go yet.

echelon_john
07-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Teleguy,
If you'd be amenable to lending it out so I could try it for a week, I'll send you some cool pint glasses and pay shipping for the trouble.

PM me if you're open to it; I'm in VT; not sure where you are. References available! ; )

JC

echelon_john
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
265!? JEEBUS! THAT'S....almost as big as me. I'm 6'6", which is my excuse...

; )

it's worth a try, IMO!

cmg
07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
specialized toupe 145mm width, non-gel. even though i've broken or bent the rails on least 3 of them i always go back. paper thin shell minmum padding, all goodness. done centuries on them.

ultraman6970
07-17-2012, 08:40 PM
The secret is to get the bones in the right place. I went to a Specialliced 155 last week and the problems I was having lately with the 143 one are gone (now need to set the saddle in the right place tho) or just minimum.

But pretty much you have to see what works and not. Some saddles come in one size and they say it will work find, other guys (me) can't stand curved saddles for example, other guys cant use flat ones.

I was you I would try to get some used from friends just to test because darn saddles are darn expensive.

ty7180
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
I am 6'7" and 315ish on a good day. I have tried a number of saddles and find the Fizik Arione the most comfortable. I really like the length.

tiretrax
07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
I switched from a Selle Italia to an Arione to an Alante. I like the Alante. I may end up back on a Concors or Rolls if I decided against the Alante.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Any of you 200+ punters riding the Selle SMP Avant, Pro, or Plus?

What were you riding before? How would you compare the SMP? Likes/dislikes?

Big boys only, please. Everybody knows if you're 150 pounds you could sit on a 2x4 and it would be comfortable.

I've been riding old-school Turbos and Concor Supercorsas but am interested in potentially moving into the present century.

Don't use SMP myself but sell a lot of them. Pricey(good test ride program tho) but most that try, buy. Sell the Pro most.

Any decent bike shop will sell, and then swap or refund if saddle doesn't work as long as it looks new. -

ultraman6970
07-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Specialized in 155... specialized stores return the money right away if doesn't work. Obviously dont scratch the saddle :P

echelon_john
07-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks all for the replies, and for the generous offers of test saddles. Looks like there's a Pro headed my way, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

I did try a Specialized in 155; I THINK it was the Avatar. I didn't like it as much as my older standbys. I was just on vacation and rode a Super Turbo for 3 weeks, and when I got home I found the old Concor Supercorsas on the bikes here to be too soft/the shape seemed not as conducive to my butt.

Hence this exercise. I can always stick with the Turbos and Rollses that I have stashed, but for some folks, the SMPs seem to be a revelation, so I figure I'll give it a shot.

gavingould
07-18-2012, 10:20 AM
225lb here.

have used and enjoyed:
Specialized Alias/Avatar/Toupe 143
Fizik Arione (fine for anything under 2hrs, cyclocross races)

but I rode a Fizik Antares VS on the road bike over the winter (lots of trainer time) and into spring, liked it well enough to pick a matching saddle up for the 'cross bike. Suits me well enough for 6+hr rides

DRZRM
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm around 225 now (6'3") and I like the SI Regalé (road bikes) and the SI Zoncolan (CX bikes) much more than I did the Arione, but after a couple hours I've not found anything that "disappears" from under me. Maybe when I reach my goal of 200.

oldguy00
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
OK, I'm not that heavy, but I will say than IMHO saddle comfort is about finding the proper support for your sit bones, not gimmicky cutouts and design or extra padding.
I'm 178 at the moment and have wide sit bones. San Marco Regal is by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever used in the past 20 years, and I've tried many.
Obviously saddle choice is very personal, but if you haven't given the Regal a try (and there are new, more modern looking versions out - Regale-e), try one!!

fiamme red
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I was browsing Steve Hogg's website and found this: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/09/all-about-smps/.

biker72
08-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Carrying a gallon of water I might approach 200 pounds....:)
The Specialized Romin Evo 155 is the best saddle I've had to date.
The Specialized Avatar 155 comes in second.

schneiderrd
08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Selle An-Atomica I've been using them for quite sometime.