PDA

View Full Version : Frank Schleck gets caught doping

whforrest
07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Damn, it happened again via cyclingnews, Frank just tested positive for an illegal substance.

firerescuefin
07-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Xipamide...a diuretic...don't get this at all.

Smart people...enlighten me...Where's Joachim??

Bruce K
07-17-2012, 02:05 PM
I guess I should have picked someone else in the Road ID contest:crap:

But seriously, how many degrees of separation is this?

BK

jbrainin
07-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Another cyclist who crossed Bruyneel bites the dust. Hmmm…

christian
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Xipamide is used as a masking agent, as it enhances water loss through urination and thus dilutes the urine.

whforrest
07-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Ok, well if Frank has gone down this road, can we assume his close brother Andy is on a program?

Earl Gray
This proves it once and for all, Lance is guilty!

christian
Hey - they haven't tested his B sample yet. Let's not jump to conclusions.

phcollard
07-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok, well if Frank has gone down this road, can we assume his close brother Andy is on a program?

Who was third at last year's Tour de France again?

Earl Gray

You can safely ASSUME that every cyclist in the peloton is on a program.

If you think otherwise, you deserve the dissapointment that follows.

monkeybanana86
oh no.

nooneline
07-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Speculation that Xipamide could be a masking agent as part of a microdosing program. Also that it could be something not on the label of some (otherwise legal) fatburning product.

54ny77
07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Woops.

firerescuefin
07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Xipamide is used as a masking agent, as it enhances water loss through urination and thus dilutes the urine.

Thanks!

Germany_chris
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
They'll stone you when you're trying to be so good
They'll stone you just like they said they would
They'll stone you when you're trying to go home
They'll stone you when you're there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned

They'll stone you when you're walking on the street
They'll stone you when you're trying to keep your seat
They'll stone you when your walking on the floor
They'll stone you when your walking to the door

They'll stone you when you're at the breakfast table
They'll stone you when you are young and able
They'll stone you when you're trying to make a buck
They'll stone you and then they'll say good luck

Well They'll stone you and say that it's the end
They'll stone you and then they'll come back again
They'll stone you when you're riding in your car
They'll stone you when you're playing you guitar
Yes But I would not feel so all alone
Alright

Well They'll stone you when you are all alone
They'll stone you when you are walking home
They'll stone you and then say they're all brave
They'll stone you when you're send down in your grave

Says Dylan

harryblack
07-17-2012, 02:16 PM
retro-test Andy and... Lance wins #8?!?!

I kinda hoped the best for Frank and that his pre-Tour timidity was half fatigue, half playing opossum and he'd step the eff up (because Horner, no matter how much we like him, was obviously not going to be a serious factor) but...

Nothing worse than a LAME doper!! See Joe Papp, and if leaks are correct, Levi, Zabriskie, CVV et al.

zap
Hey - they haven't tested his B sample yet. Let's not jump to conclusions.

That's what I don't understand-why release the name now-why not release the name after a positive b-sample.

54ny77
now that's really funny.

Earl Gray
07-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Only in my dreams!

That would be some funny, funny *****!

Liv2RideHard
07-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Not me. I may get some ridicule. I have faith that some of these guys are racing fair. Call me an optimist. Call me an idiot. There has to be some hope for our sport. If not, it will end.

Germany_chris
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Not me. I may get some ridicule. I have faith that some of these guys are racing fair. Call me an optimist. Call me an idiot. There has to be some hope for our sport. If not, it will end.

You are assuming that it was clean at some point in the past.

leooooo
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Just the Schlecks finding new ways to quit on a race half way through!

whforrest
07-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Since Johan is innocent of all doping chargers as director, how could he let this happen on his own team? Seriously though Johan must be thinking his appeal is looking a little weaker at this moment.

BCS
07-17-2012, 02:25 PM
What is strange to me is that there have been methods to detect metabolites of Xipamide since the 1990's. I would think state of the art doping programs in our current era of heightened scrutiny would use **** that wont be detected for a few years.

Earl Gray
07-17-2012, 02:28 PM
......If not, it will end.

The average Joe lined up along the streets in France DO NOT care if they are doping.

It may end for the few of you that seem to care, but the other 99% just want some Fn drama in the race.

This year has some decent "racing" but not a bit of drama. The fatest way to get rid of the sport is to remove the drama.

Joachim
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Xipamide...a diuretic...don't get this at all.

Smart people...enlighten me...Where's Joachim??

Yo yo yo.... dilution of the urine is only part of it. There are quite a few different diuretics, so the question should be, why this one? Part of it is that it has a short half life, but I think the main thing here is that its a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. Before boring everyone to death, bottom line is that it can alter the pH (more alkaline) of the urine that could interfere with urinary EPO detection. Its still dumb, since diuretics are some of the easiest substances to detect, but might carry a shorter ban (not sure) than EPO. Indirectly is can cause hemacrit levels to increase by the loss of fluid volume, but that seems unlikely in this case. Altering urinary pH to avoid detection of microdosing, thats my bet. I'm sure they are going to look at his blood profile more closely and run a few more blood tests. Frank is going to shout contaminated food supplement, best defense for a postive diuretic test.

christian
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
What is strange to me is that there have been methods to detect metabolites of Xipamide since the 1990's. I would think state of the art doping programs in our current era of heightened scrutiny would use **** that wont be detected for a few years.

I think that's one of the reasons they look for masking agents. Big pharma may not spend all that much time developing awesome new diuretics, so finding a diuretic that doesn't yet have detectable metabolites may be difficult.

Fixed
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Maybe a lot of guys are tanking up for the last mountain stages
You know I think Gilbert is clean THIS year he was one of my favorites
If Sagan test pos. I may stop watching races
There is really good shuffle board team near my house
Cheers

BCS
07-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I think that's one of the reasons they look for masking agents. Big pharma may not spend all that much time developing awesome new diuretics, so finding a diuretic that doesn't yet have detectable metabolites may be difficult.

Correct. Not much drug development for diuretics at all.

My point is, why use a detectable masking agent if detection=presumptive doping? Do they think they can use such small doses to escape detection? In point of fact, this drug will only alkalinize the urine at high doses. It is almost as if FS wants to get caught.

MattTuck
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em... or make accusations. I think the first 78 people on that strava leaderboard are doping. If they all were tested, I'd move right to the top.

Joachim
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Correct. Not much drug development for diuretics at all.

My point is, why use a detectable masking agent if detection=presumptive doping? Do they think they can use such small doses to escape detection? In point of fact, this drug will only alkalinize the urine at high doses. It is almost as if FS wants to get caught.

He was gambling. Short half life with 1/3 renal excretion of the diuretic after an EPO microdose means he only had to avoid detection for 24hrs. Oops.

Nooch
07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
It is almost as if FS wants to get caught.

listen all y'all it's a sabotage...

christian
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM
It is almost as if FS wants to get caught.Or someone wanted him to get caught. Dum-dum-dum!

Bruce K
07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
The statement I read said that he really can't continue as he has only 4 days for the B test and I believe he needs to be present.

Others have been pulled from the Tour in the past.

At least it wasn't Spanish beef.

BK

Ray
07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Wait a minuted - did someone say a professional cyclist is doping? DOPING?!?!? Really?!?!?! How could that HAPPEN???

I'm shocked, SHOCKED at this "news".

Folks, the man bites dog story here is when someone is conclusively proven to be clean. The only reason I think that SOME of the top guys this year might be clean is because of how boring its been. Yeah, it was boring in some of the Lance and Alberto years in terms of winning margin, but those guys could freakin' FLY. One of those guys attacked and it was pretty clear they ATTACKED! This year, Cadel attacks in slow motion and, oh joy of exciting joy, Wiggins stays on his wheel. I realize we're all supposed to want this, but I'm a fan largely for the spectacle and there's NOTHING like seeing Contador or Lance or Pantani just launch himself up the road. Doped to the gills every one of 'em.

THAT's the past I pretty much yearn for. Screw this "clean" stuff. I don't believe it anyway and, to the extent its true, its not doing the racing a bit of good.

Call me a cynic if you want, but I don't think the sport was ever clean, certainly not in its "glory days", and we either looked the other way or kidded ourselves about it. And, yeah, I know, I'm more or less what's wrong with this world today... Oh well.

-Ray

fiamme red
07-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Finally! The first bit of drama in this year's Tour. :banana:

JohnHemlock
The average Joe lined up along the streets in France DO NOT care if they are doping.

It may end for the few of you that seem to care, but the other 99% just want some Fn drama in the race.

This year has some decent "racing" but not a bit of drama. The fatest way to get rid of the sport is to remove the drama.

There is a school of thought amongst some French journalists I know that this race needs doping drama periodically sprinkled throughout to keep it relevant and in the headlines. In fact, the doping drama gets purposefully served up towards this end. But these are cynical journalists and I am a cynical person, no doubt we are seeing motives where there are none.

e-RICHIE
Call me a cynic if you want, but I don't think the sport was ever clean, certainly not in its "glory days", and we either looked the other way or kidded ourselves about it. And, yeah, I know, I'm more or less what's wrong with this world today... Oh well.

-Ray

That's not cynical atmo. It's waking up to reality, for lack of a better way to phrase it.

ps

arrange disorder

:):):)
:):):)
:):cool:;)

fiamme red
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
This year, Cadel attacks in slow motion and, oh joy of exciting joy, Wiggins stays on his wheel. I realize we're all supposed to want this, but I'm a fan largely for the spectacle and there's NOTHING like seeing Contador or Lance or Pantani just launch himself up the road. Doped to the gills every one of 'em.Wiggins is just a boring, conservative rider, dope or no dope.

jpw
07-17-2012, 03:21 PM

crap

phcollard
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Wiggins is just a boring, conservative rider, dope or no dope.

It is me or it's the whole race that's boring this year? First time I ever fell asleep watching the Tour...

jpw
07-17-2012, 03:23 PM
now that's really funny.

The IOC has been retesting samples from 2004 and 2008 using new techniques and has found five new positives from athletes previously thought to have competed clean. Their names have not yet been released.

4Rings6Stars
07-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Agree with the sentiment of a lot of the posts on this page.

I enjoyed watching Big Mac and Bonds knock out homer after homer. I liked watching Clemens and I loved watching Lance crush the competition. Do I think aspiring college baseball players and cyclists should be encouraged to use PEDs? Of course not. But professional sports are just entertainment to me. They are not sacred. I just like watching guys do what I could never come close to doing (straight laced or pumped with drugs).

jeduardo
07-17-2012, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=harryblack;1173335]
Nothing worse than a LAME doper!!
/QUOTE]

Why Frank, Why?
If this is what doping is doing for your GC position, why even bother?
Good work Beavis Schleck, what a Dumb A$$!

PQJ
07-17-2012, 03:30 PM
It is me or it's the whole race that's boring this year? First time I ever fell asleep watching the Tour...

Not just you. Although I've watched much of it, it's been the least engaging tour I've ever seen.

nightfend
07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
If Sagan test pos. I may stop watching races
Sagan is one of my favorite riders to watch. But I wouldn't exactly be stunned if he tested positive.

Mark McM
Don't Bruyneel's riders usually wait until after leaving his team before they actually get caught for doping?

dustyrider

I've never watched the TdF before, and I can't stay awake through any of the stages I've tuned in for...NBC, or Eurosport. Something about a bunch of cyclists riding along in a large group, consuming calories every now and then, getting handed a new bike if they need it, all culminating in a well timed sprint at the end, just doesn't keep my heart beating fast enough. I guess I need to check out the doped cycling events and see if they were truly more exciting...

GuyGadois
07-17-2012, 03:34 PM
When do the Olympics start?

laupsi
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I leave the forum for a few good hours to get some work done and this what I have to come to...?

Joachim
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
On cyclingnews.com they have the headline of Schleck being pulled from the Tour and on the right a pop-up add from Trek with Frank Schleck that says "fast is everything". They must be scrambling in Waterloo.

nightfend
07-17-2012, 03:50 PM
on the right a pop-up add from Trek with Frank Schleck that says "fast is everything". They must be scrambling in Waterloo.

Hahaha, that is priceless advertising right there! :p

MattTuck
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Hahaha, that is priceless advertising right there! :p

Yes, someone get a screenshot. i have adblock on my browser, or I'd do it!

echelon_john
07-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I thought only top cyclists dope?

67-59
07-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Yeah. And I'm pretty sure I recall Frank telling us he wasn't one of the top cyclists before the TdF started. Did he just say that in preparation for his defense?;)

flydhest
07-17-2012, 04:28 PM

I kinda hoped the best for Frank and that his pre-Tour timidity was half fatigue, half playing opossum and he'd step the eff up (because Horner, no matter how much we like him, was obviously not going to be a serious factor) but...

Nothing worse than a LAME doper!! See Joe Papp, and if leaks are correct, Levi, Zabriskie, CVV et al.

Even funnier, retro test Andy and Lance wins #1 (after the other 7 get stripped).

fiamme red
07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-announces-adverse-analytical-finding-for-frank-schleck-at-tour-de-france

Cyclingnews has called Fränk Schleck for comment but have not yet received a response. However, his RadioShack-Nissan team has announced that the Luxembourger has withdrawn from the Tour de France. Following is the complete statement from the RadioShack-Nissan concerning Schleck:

"Our team attaches great value to transparency. Because of this, we can announce the following as a response to the adverse analytical finding of xipamide in Fränk Schleck's urine sample of July 14 during the Tour de France.

"After being informed by the UCI about the presence of xipamide in the urine sample of Fränk Schleck on July 14, the team has decided to immediately withdraw Fränk Schleck from the Tour de France.

"Even though an abnormal A sample does not require these measures, Mr. Schleck and the team believe this is the right thing to do, to ensure the Tour de France can go on in calm and that Fränk Schleck can prepare his defense in accordance with the legal timing to do so.

"On the subject of xipamide the team can declare the following: it is not a product that is present in any of the medicine that the team uses and the reason for the presence of xipamide in the urine sample of Mr. Schleck is unclear to the team. Therefore, the team is not able to explain the adverse findings at this point.

"However, the team is fully determined to collaborate with the anti-doping agencies in order to resolve the matter."

1centaur
07-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Frandy is no more. Andy will race alone. Hmm, who wanted that?

So much for the Frandy superteam of 2013 rumors.

Johnny Schleck: "Hey, there were no diuretics in my trunk!"

Bob Loblaw
07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
I wonder if Andy is involved? if so he stands to be the first rider to be awarded a Tour title for someone else's doping violation, and then lose it for his own violation.

BL

tsarpepe
07-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Not just you. Although I've watched much of it, it's been the least engaging tour I've ever seen.

Me three! Boring riding combined with idiotic course design equals the worst Tour in (my) memory.

Fixed
07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
The little part of cycling I had left .. Being a fan has just left me ,nothing more to say . .....from me

Cheers

slidey
07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
hahaha...hot dang, that's a snub if I've ever come across one :P

But, seriously...Frank Schleck?? I mean, I think he's a pretty second rate cyclist of late and all that but didn't really think he'd be doping.

But as someone again said, if Sagan gets caught I woudn't be surprised at all. I mean when someone comes back from being dropped to beating Luis Leon Sanchez up a climb, it definitely warrants a closer inspection.

gone
07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
The little part of cycling I had left .. Being a fan has just left me ,nothing more to say . .....from me

Cheers

Seriously? I've taken the attitude that they're all doped to the gills and it's only entertainment for years and, as a result, have still been able to enjoy it. I'm not saying it's right, nor that I don't long for a dope free peloton I just don't think I'm going to live long enough to see it (and I expect to live for another 30-50 years).

Enjoy the show.

clunk
07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
That this tour is boring has nothing to do with the doping issue. Wiggins is just much stronger than anyone else who is not required to ride for someone else.

Ray
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I wonder if Andy is involved? if so he stands to be the first rider to be awarded a Tour title for someone else's doping violation, and then lose it for his own violation.

BL

Well there was Óscar Pereiro, but I guess he hasn't lost it for his own violation. Yet.

-Ray

54ny77
07-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Pros dope just to survive as pack fodder? Say it aint so! I thought only domestic masters racers did that for the glory. I'm so disillusioned now...

MattTuck
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Pros dope just to survive as pack fodder? Say it aint so! I thought only domestic masters racers did that for the glory. I'm so disillusioned now...

He only did it because he was under so much pressure from reporters repeatedly asking if he was RSN's GC hope.

Frankwurst
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Seriously? I've taken the attitude that they're all doped to the gills and it's only entertainment for years and, as a result, have still been able to enjoy it. I'm not saying it's right, nor that I don't long for a dope free peloton I just don't think I'm going to live long enough to see it (and I expect to live for another 30-50 years).

Enjoy the show.

To this I say expect nothing and I agree. :beer:

djg21
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
I've never watched the TdF before, and I can't stay awake through any of the stages I've tuned in for...NBC, or Eurosport. Something about a bunch of cyclists riding along in a large group, consuming calories every now and then, getting handed a new bike if they need it, all culminating in a well timed sprint at the end, just doesn't keep my heart beating fast enough. I guess I need to check out the doped cycling events and see if they were truly more exciting...

I wish they'd do a daily 60-minute recap of the highlights. I don't have the attention span to sit for hours and watch a 120+ mile race develop, and the babbling of Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett, though at times informative, does not keep me engaged when nothing is happening in the race (which is most of the time).

don'TreadOnMe
07-17-2012, 07:50 PM
The racing has been great in this Tour.
Seriously? The escape yesterday?
The French wins? Sanchez a couple of days ago?
Sagan!!!
It's not always the nuclear option in the grand Pantani style, but heck, tactics can be beautiful in the stages, if not the GC.

How many hours a day of coverage would you like taken away?
I never want to hear Tesh muzak again, if you know what I'm saying.

But back on topic:
Frank is whatev to me. Dime got dropped on him for speaking out against the Hog. I guess it's time for him to switch gynecologists or something...

Bob Loblaw
07-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I love the Tour, and I love Phil and Paul.

The GC race has been awesome. Attacks by Cadel and Nibali have brought excitement to the race, and Wiggins is awesome but definintely human. The drama with him and Froome reminds me of the '86 Tour.

Plus, we've had several breakaways keep away for the win. Sagan has been awesomely entertaining, especially keeping Sanchez in sight over two Cat 1 cols. That kid is a monster.

My favorite moment: Millar's win. He's the only guy I am sure is riding clean, and it's shows all the cynics that clean riders can and do win.

Looking forward to the Pyrenees and the final TT.

BL

trunkz22
07-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Question is will they check his brother for the same? It would be only natural as they are stuck to each others hips..

dustyrider
07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
That this tour is boring has nothing to do with the doping issue. Wiggins is just much stronger than anyone else who is not required to ride for someone else.

If Wiggins is so much stronger why does his teammate have to wait for him?
Cause it sure looks like Froome is under orders to let Wiggins win to me.

dustyrider
07-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Sagan!!!
It's not always the nuclear option in the grand Pantani style, but heck, tactics can be beautiful in the stages, if not the GC.

But back on topic:
Frank is whatev to me. Dime got dropped on him for speaking out against the Hog. I guess it's time for him to switch gynecologists or something...

Near as I could tell yesterday, the break away was aloud to happen since the teams wanted to rest, before a rest day. None of the riders in the breakaway were a threat to the leader were they? Or the French for that matter, right? Do you think this makes their stage wins more challenging, if they weren't challenged?

How is any of this exciting again?

You get a few minutes on a couple guys, and then ride in the wake of your team members, who try to ride in the wake of those that are behind. Or you get a team member who sets a fast pace, and tries to pull those behind you to a breaking point. Yawn factor of 10, if you went to a race why aren't you racing everyday for every stage?

jbrainin
07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Attacks by Cadel and Nibali have brought excitement to the race
BL

Really? Cadel's attacks merely brought me to tears from laughing so hard.

Gummee
07-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Wow. Just wow. Talk about not being real bright. On the Tour no less!

Some of the stages of this year's Tour have been great. Yesterday for example. Getting to see the first Xkm of all-out racing before the break actually stuck was great. The procession to the line? Not so much. The finale from the break? Riveting. Ole CVV had hisself beat mentally before he even got to the line. Oh well next American stage winner please?!

I think this year's course isn't the best evar. :nah Contributes to the boring racing.

Cadel attack?! Nothing's serious from him yet. I still have hope for the next few stages tho.

The Tour will go on.

M

54ny77
07-17-2012, 08:54 PM
i could not but help laugh out loud, and often, while listening to & watching this.

link courtesy of nyvelocity.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxEgmenKkNk&feature=player_detailpage#t=107s

tiretrax
07-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Idiotic course? I liked the long TT and the mountain stages. I agree that this has been boring, however. Little drama other than that surrounding Froome/Wiggins. How surprising that Froome got called back - he was hired to ride in just in front of Wiggins. Same for Tejay - he created more drama by leaving Cadel with a tack in his tire, but good for the young man. His taking the white jersey is all BMC can hope for. Cadel's attacks have always been weak and easy to chase down. He got lucky in 2009 at the Worlds because there wasn't anyone strong in the breakaway.

As far as doping goes, one of the raps on Lance was that his power was too high and the climbs were too fast. These guys have been flying up Cat 1's and HC's in a pack. Could they really be clean?

Check out the debutante brothers in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNv89dqMP0&feature=related

retrofit
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Wiggins is just a boring, conservative rider, dope or no dope.

Yep. Le Tour de Masterpiece Theater.

Elefantino
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Damn, it happened again via cyclingnews, Frank just tested positive for an illegal substance.

Damn? Why damn?

Grant McLean
07-17-2012, 09:04 PM
As far as doping goes, one of the raps on Lance was that his power was too high and the climbs were too fast. These guys have been flying up Cat 1's and HC's in a pack. Could they really be clean?

I think we need to compare Sky this year based on some data, not the relative speed
of competitors who may or may not be 'flying'.

My sense is that the climbs this year have been slow, despite the dominance of Sky.

This is interesting reading:

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2009/07/really-possible/

tiretrax
07-17-2012, 09:07 PM
That's interesting because I've often read comparisons between Armstrong and Pantani's climbs up Alpe D'Huez as proof that Armstrong is a doper because his time was so close to Pantani's.

I'm reminded of the saying: there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I assume they're all juiced and just enjoy watching the spectacle. NFL, NBA, MLB - why should cycling be different?

djg21
07-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Sagan!!!

But back on topic:

I don't want to entirely hijack this thread either.

In response to your question, I'd be happy with 60-90 minutes of highlights. I don't need to see the portions of the stages when the peloton cruises along and nothing is happening, or every moment of a breakaway that is away for hours before being reeled in. I want to see the moves and attacks, and decisive moments in context, but not every minute of a 4 hour stage.

Jason E
07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't want to entirely hijack this thread either.

In response to your question, I'd be happy with 60-90 minutes of highlights. I don't need to see the portions of the stages when the peloton cruises along and nothing is happening, or every moment of a breakaway that is away for hours before being reeled in. I want to see the moves and attacks, and decisive moments in context, but not every minute of a 4 hour stage.

That sounds like 1987. You can watch it fast-forwarded until something happens like I do the Super Bowl. I like the drama and suspense of not knowing when the attack or move is going to happen, watching the tension o nthese guys... Spectacle, bought and paid for.

Jack Brunk
07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Frank said he's been framed. Someone slipped him a mickey.

DrSpoke
07-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Quit complaining! Back in the day :) when I started following the tour we were lucky to have the previous days results printed on the back page of the sports section in print so small I'm sure I couldn't even read it now. Then, after the race was complete, you had to wait a couple more months for a magazine article to come out to report on the entire race. I think we are fortunate to have (excellent) live tv coverage on a daily basis, live internet coverage on more than one website along with daily summaries. Even discussion posts like this were non-existant. So perhaps we can be a little appreciative and thankful.

estilley
07-17-2012, 11:41 PM
My Border Collie takes a diuretic so she doesn't leak pee all over the house.

Maybe Frank Schleck has the same condition?

-Still a Schleck fan.

JohnHemlock
07-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Quit complaining! Back in the day :) when I started following the tour we were lucky to have the previous days results printed on the back page of the sports section in print so small I'm sure I couldn't even read it now. Then, after the race was complete, you had to wait a couple more months for a magazine article to come out to report on the entire race. I think we are fortunate to have (excellent) live tv coverage on a daily basis, live internet coverage on more than one website along with daily summaries. Even discussion posts like this were non-existant. So perhaps we can be a little appreciative and thankful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

tsarpepe
07-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Maaaan, RAI replays some old tapes before tuning into this year's Tour. They showed the other day the last 20km of a Giro stage to Bergamo, 1975. Moser, Gimondi, and Merckx giving it all they have in a sprint (Gimondi won it). No team play, just man-against-man pure racing. That was so much fun to watch!

And now we call it fun when guys trailing the GC by more than an hour are allowed to take 10min advantage on a breakaway, while the big leaders ride for hundreds of kilometers alongside each other and chat amicably about the weather! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cfox
07-18-2012, 05:00 AM
Idiotic course? I liked the long TT and the mountain stages. I agree that this has been boring, however. Little drama other than that surrounding Froome/Wiggins. How surprising that Froome got called back - he was hired to ride in just in front of Wiggins. Same for Tejay - he created more drama by leaving Cadel with a tack in his tire, but good for the young man. His taking the white jersey is all BMC can hope for. Cadel's attacks have always been weak and easy to chase down. He got lucky in 2009 at the Worlds because there wasn't anyone strong in the breakaway.

Check out the debutante brothers in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNv89dqMP0&feature=related
Nibali's power on his SRM, when he attacked the other day, was 5.7 watts per kilo, which is high but within the range of what can be achieved clean. Lance won his tours at 6.7 watts per kilo (ferrari's "magic number"), and that was sustained power, not just an attack! that is just insane. power like that has so far been found to be impossible without doping. while I agree these guys are still taking something for recovery, it ain't even close to the epo blaster glory days.

tsarpepe
07-18-2012, 05:15 AM
I think we need to compare Sky this year based on some data, not the relative speed
of competitors who may or may not be 'flying'.

My sense is that the climbs this year have been slow, despite the dominance of Sky.

This is interesting reading:

Contador's climb was epic, but Verbier is not the same thing as d'Huez.
Verbier: 8.7km @ 7.1%
d'Huez: 13.8km @ 7.9%

Contador ranks 25th on the list of the fastest climbers of d'Huez.

oldguy00
07-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Frank is innocent - Andy says so.
Has Cancellara neutralized the race for him until it gets sorted out?

Grant McLean
07-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Contador's climb was epic, but Verbier is not the same thing as d'Huez.
Verbier: 8.7km @ 7.1%
d'Huez: 13.8km @ 7.9%

Contador ranks 25th on the list of the fastest climbers of d'Huez.

It would be interesting if A d'H was on the course this year, because it seems
the climbing has been slow this year, but it's very hard to compare. It's a
mistake to suggest that the riders are going fast simply because one team
is on the front.

-g

MattTuck
07-18-2012, 07:08 AM
It would be interesting if A d'H was on the course this year, because it seems
the climbing has been slow this year, but it's very hard to compare. It's a
mistake to suggest that the riders are going fast simply because one team
is on the front.

-g

Are you watching today? This is an epic climbing stage.

edit: or is your point that d'Huez provides more opportunity to attack, and thus faster ascents?

ultraman6970
07-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Too late for that, cancellara drop the tour like 1 week ago :)

The guys this year arent climbing that fast, even cav is holding more. The problem is that since the super climbers arent present for sky is easier to keep the pace high enough to stop everybody. The other thing is that guys might be doping less :D

Frank is innocent - Andy says so.
Has Cancellara neutralized the race for him until it gets sorted out?

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Agree. All the big boys have Doctors, real MDs on the payroll. I can't remember which MD said this but when approached by some riders saying they were going to 'do it' without his help, he helped to try to make it as safe as possible.

The MDs know the substances which are allowed at what levels and what are not, they, like the MDs in all professional sports, have this down to a science, literally. BUT WHOGAS, like watching any sport, it's entertainment. They are actors for an audience.

Joachim
07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Agree. All the big boys have Doctors, real MDs on the payroll. I can't remember which MD said this but when approached by some riders saying they were going to 'do it' without his help, he helped to try to make it as safe as possible.

The MDs know the substances which are allowed at what levels and what are not, they, like the MDs in all professional sports, have this down to a science, literally. BUT WHOGAS, like watching any sport, it's entertainment. They are actors for an audience.

I think I should go work for a ProTour team and move to Tenerife or Gran Canaria. It will pay more than "expert witness" consulting or academic salaries.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
I think I should go work for a ProTour team and move to Tenerife or Gran Canaria. It will pay more than "expert witness" consulting or academic salaries.

without a doubt.....

e-RICHIE
07-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Germany_chris
07-18-2012, 11:39 AM

Nice please, my dream retirement is main home Mallorca summer, canaries in the spring, Key West in the winter, and Tasmania in the fall. I'll have my home in Mallorca but the rest will probably remain a dream.

ultraman6970
07-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Smoking hot chicks in tenerife.

jeduardo
07-20-2012, 11:53 AM

"It might look boring at times but it's not easy to do and remember they didn't make the route, they just used it to their advantage." R.Millar

I agree that the TDF is rather boring this year, but I suspected it would be when the tour-map was made public months ago.
IMHO this tour was actually over before the 2 Pyrenean days. Thanks to the limited # of climbing days (2011 Giro overcorrection), too many TTs+Flat stages, the strangle-hold put-on by the SKY freight train, my TIVO said no more.
Oh well, I'm pretty well done with the international hype that is the TDF.
I've always been more partial to watching climbers specials like the Giro and the upcoming Vuelta.

"So for the grumblers, remember as an outsider you don't see the dreary days in November doing hill repeats on a big gear or the gruelling sessions perfecting that time trial position. If it really was simple then everyone could be a pro bike rider." R.Millar (cyclingnews)

rice rocket
07-20-2012, 12:24 PM
BAN TEAM RADIOS!

Froome should've dropped Wiggins and left him for dead. :)

jpw
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Frank's B sample has now also tested positive for the diuretic.

oldguy00
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
And now to follow, 1 - 2 years of bull**** about poisoning, appeals, blah blah.

67-59
07-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Does Frank eat Spanish meat?:eek:

Grant McLean
07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Are you watching today? This is an epic climbing stage.

edit: or is your point that d'Huez provides more opportunity to attack, and thus faster ascents?

My point was that without data to compare, we shouldn't make conclusions
about how fast the riders are actually climbing.

-g

jpw
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM

He should just retire.