PDA

View Full Version : Valley Cycling Center?

overmyhead
07-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Has anyone been to the "Try The Track" session in Pa.?
http://www.thevelodrome.com/
If so can you offer any feedback? I'm thinking on attending the fall session.
Thanks

overmyhead
07-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Bump

flydhest
07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
it's great, it's just a long way from me. I went up with some team mates a couple years ago and did some track racing. Track racing is phenomenally fun and if logic prevailed and the freakin' capital of the free world had a track within an hour or two drive, I would not race on the road anymore. Alas, it is more than that to T-town.

I did not do the specific program your referenced, but keno, a former forumite, did years ago and subsequently got hooked on track racing and bought a track bike and other accoutrements, so be warned, it could be addictive. They had track bikes for people to use and good instruction. Sounded great.

nooneline
07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Do it.
Track racing is awesome.
Like a human-powered roller coaster, unlike any other cycling.

Gummee
07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
it's great, it's just a long way from me. I went up with some team mates a couple years ago and did some track racing. Track racing is phenomenally fun and if logic prevailed and the freakin' capital of the free world had a track within an hour or two drive, I would not race on the road anymore. Alas, it is more than that to T-town.

I did not do the specific program your referenced, but keno, a former forumite, did years ago and subsequently got hooked on track racing and bought a track bike and other accoutrements, so be warned, it could be addictive. They had track bikes for people to use and good instruction. Sounded great.

I'm with you. In fact I was doing just about that living in Sandy Eggo. I raced track Tues nite and whenever they had a weekend event and played at racing on the road.

I hear rumors of a track in DC. Theoretically it should open 'soon.'

edited to add: Remember a few key rules and you'll be OK: 1. don't turn right. 2. Never, EVER! stop pedaling. 3. Don't underlap wheels. Track racing's some of the safest racing I've ever done. Everyone's on roughly the same gear, no one has to turn 'cause the track does it for you, and generally people racing track aren't beginners.

M
I LOVE the Madison! Gimme more!

flydhest
07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm with you. In fact I was doing just about that living in Sandy Eggo. I raced track Tues nite and whenever they had a weekend event and played at racing on the road.

I hear rumors of a track in DC. Theoretically it should open 'soon.'

edited to add: Remember a few key rules and you'll be OK: 1. don't turn right. 2. Never, EVER! stop pedaling. 3. Don't underlap wheels. Track racing's some of the safest racing I've ever done. Everyone's on roughly the same gear, no one has to turn 'cause the track does it for you, and generally people racing track aren't beginners.

M
I LOVE the Madison! Gimme more!

Gummee,
The rumors looked like they were coming to fruition and then stalled pretty badly. I haven't heard anything in a couple months about it gaining steam. We should have had some announcements that it was about to open and . . . nada.

Me sad.

Matt-H
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
My sons got me a "Try the Track" pass for Father's Day as I am always envious of my 9 year-old racer. I thought it was great!

The coaches consisted of Marty and other seriously accomplished present and past racers and coaches and also some young pros. It took a bit of time for all to get their bikes ready and dialed, but once we got on the track things progressed quickly. We received some basic track riding and etiquette instruction and headed out for a couple of laps to get used to the bikes, track and stopping at the wall.

Next, we learned about riding in a paceline on the track and proceeded to turn some laps and take turns leading and peeling off, using the banking and our momentum to return to the back of the line smoothly. We moved onto some whistle sprints and island drills after that.

The group later split into different groups and we had a few scratch races that were a blast. We ended with some free time to ride some more laps.

All this, including a loaner bike, for $60. Like Keno, I definitely got bitten by the track bug.

pm me and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Gummee
07-22-2012, 03:53 PM
@Matt-H: fun stuff ain't it?!

I refuse to give up my 'track bag' of rings, cogs and tools 'cause I know I'll end up back on a track and don't want to have to go re-buy stuff.

Fixed Gear Fever is another forum dedicated to track stuff. Business Cycles for all your track parts needs that can't be found on ebay, CL, etc. (IOW new stuff) and there's even a track section on bikeforums.net.

You can get away with 49, 50, and 51t rings and a 15t cassette to start with. After that, it all depends on what feels good to your legs. ie: 53x16 instead of the 49x15 etc. (and IIRC the two gears are *slightly* different. I don't feel like breaking out my gear progression chart to 2x check)

M
Its funny. I still consider myself a trackie despite not having had a track to race on in the last 5 years.

Matt-H
07-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Gummee, for all the info! If all goes well, I am trying to swing the next four-week developmental program. My only regret is not trying this earlier, it really is that fun.

wfournier
07-23-2012, 06:35 AM
I've been tempted to give it a try but as of yrt havent put my money where my mouth is. Maybe I'll try for the September session.

overmyhead
07-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks all.
I tried the intro session in Londonderry NH last year and, you guys are right, I loved it. One of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on a bike. I went up a few times for their Saturday morning free training as well. It's unfortunate that it is a bit of a stretch to travel there regularly. Now and again there's talk of building a track in the Boston area but for the time being it seems still be just talk. I'll probably do the T - Town session if the dates work for me.
w-fournier, if you are doing it check with them first, the date listed is going to change.
Thanks again.