PDA

View Full Version : Madfiber or Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubular?

uber
07-17-2012, 06:58 AM
I read the reviews and looked at the graphs ( like I understand
and trust all the wind runnel data), but what I would appreciate are
comments from people who have ridden both. Thanks in advance.

R2D2
07-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I doubt many have ridden Mad Fiber.
The Zipps are nice and can be repaired.
But that's not saying anything bad about Mad Fiber.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2012, 07:27 AM
I read the reviews and looked at the graphs ( like I understand
and trust all the wind runnel data), but what I would appreciate are
comments from people who have ridden both. Thanks in advance.

What are you going to use them for?

Gummee
07-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Along with 'Tater's question, I still have visions of Spinergy Rev-Xes on the brain.

I'll pass on the carbon spokes.

M

happycampyer
07-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Those two wheelsets are a bit of an apples and oranges comparison imo. The better comparison (again imo) would be the Mad Fibers and the 404 Firecrests and the Enve 6.7's, none of which (other than the 404's) I would consider "everyday" wheels because of their high profile. In that category, having ridden them all, I would go Enve > Zipp > Mad Fiber, mainly because the Enves and Zipps are more comfortable and are much easier to control in crosswinds. In a choice between the Mad Fibers and the 303's, I would get the 303's since they are a more all-condition wheel.

I agree that the choice depends a lot on how you intend to use them and, to a certain extent, how much you weigh. In the Mad Fiber's category, the 6.7's are hard to beat in terms of weight, aerodynamics, ride quality, braking, etc.

uber
07-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the replys so far. I am about 167 pounds. Not
a racer. 35-55 mile rides are the norm with climbs not more
than 1-2 miles. Rollers. Half solo rides, and some aggressive
group rides and paceline. I love the cosmetics, weight and
warranty of the Madfiber. Zipps seem like they have the most
research and broad appeal. These will go on a steel frame bike.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2012, 08:12 AM

I know you mentioned on the two but I would recommend Reynolds as well.

Great hubs, great rims, fairly standard hubs and spokes.

For me, Zipp would be a distant third(or fourth?).

Seen way to many teeny bearings in Zipp wheels go south with just a little exposure to the 'elements'. Good news is they are really easy to change...bad news is ya gotta do that often...even the 'ceramic'...they just don't last long.

Wheels that have carbon spokes glued to carbon hubs and rims..well..great crash replace warranty but a RD into the spokes or a pedal from yer buddy.....may really goon these up quickly.

PLUS, all rims wear out...what happens when ya wear the Madfibre rim out?

SPOKE
07-17-2012, 09:50 AM
The Zipps are nice wheels....especially since they redesigned their hubs a couple years ago.
I have a customer riding the MF tubulars and really loves them. Has about 10k miles on them now. No problems what so ever.
I have the MF clinchers and like the so far. I have about 200mi on them so far.

nightfend
07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Not a racer? Then get the Madfibers for sure. Those things look awesome and they are fairly lightweight. What more could you ask for?

Honey
07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
apologies to nightfend and for the rant/ rant removed, definitely not me at my finest. I also apologize for not making my point well. To me, the OP asked a specific question, in fact what I would call a very good question for an internet forum because it is based on specific criteria- looking for a comparison of two things from people with experience with two things. Without stating what your experience is with those two things, or at least one of them with the appropriate disclaimer, then what kind of value are you adding to the conversation. My point was to think about the kind of value you are adding to a conversation before putting you're 2 cents in. That being said if happycampyer, old potatoe, JB one of the mods or one of the slew of people whose comments carry weight because of what they have contributed previously I think it is a different case (for me anyway but thats up to you). But even still I think most of them take that approach most of the time, happycampyer's response was probably the exact type of insight the OP was looking for.

false_Aest
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
honey,

all i ended up thinking was no racing = no crashes.

even with their MF's crash replacement policy, keeping a nice set of hoops away from crashes sounds like an awesome idea to me.

the dude seemed to address the 2 biggest concerns of non-pro cyclists: weight and looks.

duke
07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
I bet you are pleasant to be around on a daily basis. Dude makes a comment that he would like the MF wheels if he wasn't racing, probably because the chances of crashing them are a lot less, and you are questioning his intelligence. Might be time for the de-caf instead of the french roast.
duke

Charles M
07-18-2012, 08:11 AM
The diffs are not huge on paper. And they're not overly big on the street.

Aero wise The Madfibers are closer overall to the 303's rather than 6.7/404. I know the wheel depths are closer but shape matters... Once there's yaw (IE once you ride outside) The madfibers do pretty well and so do the 303's.

The 303 are less effected by cross wind.

The Madfibers have a lower MOI and feel lighter and handle a bit quicker.

Both wheels are fairly comfortable.

Madfibers are still apretty nice price and Madfiber have a replacement program and warranty as do Zipp.

I think the 303 are a little more stiff pedalling out of the saddle but they're both pretty damn solid wheels.

I don't believe Madfiber are UCI Crash test approved, but then the UCI crash test is bull***** and was (if you believe the hype and a lo of people do) was commissioned and designed specifially to create a certain type of issue with bladed carbon spoked wheels rather than being a reasonable test of how well a wheel holds up under typical cycling related damage.

znfdl
07-18-2012, 09:03 AM

I would also recommend the new Enve Wheels. The 3.4 SES tubulars were the best wheels that I have ever ridden, while the clinchers are a close second.

I had mine built up with White Industry Hubs

Just my $.02

hampco
07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
I haven't ridden the Zipp's but I have had issues with their hubs in the past. I do, however, ride my Mad Fiber tubulars on a regular basis and I have been quite impressed with the ride and performance. Crosswinds on descents make life more interesting than it needs to be I get through it. Over rough roads they're excellent; climbing, accelerating, and braking are all top-notch - and the hubs are by White Industries if that needs to be pointed out.

So I'm a fan.

Charles M
07-18-2012, 03:42 PM
FWIW, the latest versions of Zipps hubs are no place near their older hubs...

oldpotatoe
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
FWIW, the latest versions of Zipps hubs are no place near their older hubs...

I saw 4 wheels, the latest design, and all of them needed bearings. Jo Lawn's bicycles.

Mdabell
10-19-2016, 12:58 PM
i have been on 303 tubulars and 202 clinchers for years with never an issue.
next wheelset will be Enve 3.4 SES as moving to disc set up and they seem to be on the front of design for disc specific rims.