PDA

View Full Version : 11s Chain Tools

Lovetoclimb
07-16-2012, 08:27 PM
In an attempt to further equip myself with the tools I need to be a fully functional home mechanic, an 11s chain tool is in order. Foolishly I have equipped 3 bikes now with Campy 11 chains, and only one with the KMC quick link. Given my proclivity for gravel road exploration, riding in all kinds of conditions, and general bike abuse, my chains certainly need taken off and thorough refurbishment every 3-6 months. So has anyone found the alternatives to the $150+ Campagnolo tool worthwhile? I see Park Tool has one for roughly $45, and Lezyne at $35 or so. I have a 10s tool from Park, but the rivet peening necessary for 11s chains makes me think that will not cut it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Black Dog
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Just buy the peening tool; I think Pedro's sells an affordable one. Do not forget that you can not remove a link and put it back on with the proper tool. You need a new section of chain with the proper pin.

You can also change over all your chains over to have KMC quick links (best solution), and just replace the quick links when you remove the chain. No special tools needed.

AngryScientist
07-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Not what you asked, but if you remove an 11sp chain the best way to rejoin it is with a link. I like the IRD links the best for 11sp, though I'm a fan of kmc chains too, and they come with a link.

I also change chains every 2k miles, whether they need it or not.

Bob Loblaw
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Kmc links are the same price as a replacement pin. I say next time go with the link.

BL

cmbicycles
07-16-2012, 10:02 PM
I have used the Pedros Tutto chain tool, it works well 11s chains and isn't as pricy as the Campy. It has a rotating dial for different chains (1-11s) plus one setting for peaning the pin on 11s stuff... a nice all in one tool.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2012, 07:39 AM
In an attempt to further equip myself with the tools I need to be a fully functional home mechanic, an 11s chain tool is in order. Foolishly I have equipped 3 bikes now with Campy 11 chains, and only one with the KMC quick link. Given my proclivity for gravel road exploration, riding in all kinds of conditions, and general bike abuse, my chains certainly need taken off and thorough refurbishment every 3-6 months. So has anyone found the alternatives to the $150+ Campagnolo tool worthwhile? I see Park Tool has one for roughly $45, and Lezyne at $35 or so. I have a 10s tool from Park, but the rivet peening necessary for 11s chains makes me think that will not cut it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Pedros tool or IRD reuseable links...or both.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Kmc links are the same price as a replacement pin. I say next time go with the link.

BL

BUT cannot reattach the 11s chain with just a pin...need a new 'section' of chain. You just chove a new pin in a section that has had a pin pushed out abd you are asking for a broken chain.

AC0
07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
BBB have a 7-11 speed compatible chain tool that can break and peen.

http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/workshop-tools/BTL-55/

Not as fool proof as the Campagnolo tool, but works as long as you are careful. I got mine from Shiny Bikes for $25.

If you want a quick link, the ones by IRD, BBB, Clarks, etc. all seem to be made by Yaban/YBN (http://www.yaban.webs.com/product/connectors.html) and are reusable.

AC