PDA

View Full Version : Vs or Mini Vs?

Ken C
07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
To continue on the mini V discussion:

I am building up a Pake C'Mute with a Surly Crosscheck fork for commuting. I will be using DT shifters, DT R585 rims, Jack Brown tires (or Vitt. Hyper Randos) and a 45mm fender.

Ideally I would like to go with TRP RRL alloy brake levers with Tektro RX5 mini Vs. Does anyone know if I am going to have clearance problems with the fenders?

The other option is to go with Tektro RL520 levers and full length V brakes like Tektro M730 or Shimano LXs, but I would prefer to use the new RRL levers if possible. Does anyone have experience with the RL520 levers, are they comfortable (I realize this is subjective but let me know anyway)?

The last option would be to go with the RRL levers and cantis. I have some old Shimano XT M737s with new pads in my parts bin, but if I remember they are kind of a pain in the rear to set up. Otherwise there is the something like Tektro CR720.

My ride is really flat to and from work, I really don't use the brakes that much. However I do ride on a MUP so panic stops do happen.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

jds108
07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Another option are the travel agents to mate a standard lever with a v-brake. If you're not familiar with them, the cable runs through a pulley with two diameters, increasing the amount of cable being pulled.

Like most things, it's possible to set them up poorly and have bad performance as a result. I used them and they were just fine. (they're super-simple to setup, but you want to get the cable's entry/exit point on the pulley correct, just follow the instructions.)

I don't know if you'll need this setup, just something to keep it in mind.

fogrider
07-17-2012, 01:06 AM
I've used the travel agents and didn't like the soft feel. I'm not sure what you mean by setup poorly, since the cable has to run through the the pulley a certain way. I've set it up with canti brakes and v brakes. the mini Vs perform better and has a better feel. I've never really liked the feel of canti brakes to begin with. tekro makes a wider calibers now and might work with fenders.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=65&sortname=Brake&sort=1&fid=2

KidWok
07-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Mini v brakes do often end up with fender interference issues...I'd say go with full v brakes.

Tai

deanster
07-17-2012, 04:59 AM
To continue on the mini V discussion:

I am building up a Pake C'Mute with a Surly Crosscheck fork for commuting. I will be using DT shifters, DT R585 rims, Jack Brown tires (or Vitt. Hyper Randos) and a 45mm fender.

Ideally I would like to go with TRP RRL alloy brake levers with Tektro RX5 mini Vs. Does anyone know if I am going to have clearance problems with the fenders?

The other option is to go with Tektro RL520 levers and full length V brakes like Tektro M730 or Shimano LXs, but I would prefer to use the new RRL levers if possible. Does anyone have experience with the RL520 levers, are they comfortable (I realize this is subjective but let me know anyway)?

The last option would be to go with the RRL levers and cantis. I have some old Shimano XT M737s with new pads in my parts bin, but if I remember they are kind of a pain in the rear to set up. Otherwise there is the something like Tektro CR720.

My ride is really flat to and from work, I really don't use the brakes that much. However I do ride on a MUP so panic stops do happen.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

You would need to try mini Vs out with your fenders. I use miniVs with my record ergos and no fenders and the clearance on 34 tires is close. I used the Tektro RL520 levers on my Gunnar with Barend shifters and Tektro mini Vs and the levers were very comfortable. They would work well with regular V brakes with the longer pull. For touring I will be swithching to them. V brakes are better because they are easier to setup and don't have any chatter often experienced with Cantis. Good Luck.

Ken C
07-17-2012, 11:24 AM
I decided to go with the Tekro long pull RL 520 levers and the M730 full Vs. I don't want to be limited on fender or tire clearance and decided I don't want to use cantis. This is a pretty cheap experiment so I am not too worried, but I wanted something I know would work with the tire/fender combo.

I also decided against the travel agent. I have heard they work fine, but I don't like the look of an adapter.

Thanks

Ken

jds108
07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I've used the travel agents and didn't like the soft feel. I'm not sure what you mean by setup poorly, since the cable has to run through the the pulley a certain way. I've set it up with canti brakes and v brakes. the mini Vs perform better and has a better feel. I've never really liked the feel of canti brakes to begin with. tekro makes a wider calibers now and might work with fenders.

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=65&sortname=Brake&sort=1&fid=2

I used the travel agents with some fancy Avid Arch Supremes and the tektro road levers that offer a little more cable pull. So those levers probably helped prevent the mushy feel. Those brakes were total overkill (worth about the same as the rest of the bike), so I took them off and just use some old cantilevers. I just posted as I've seen other people who weren't satisfied with travel agents, and that wasn't my own experience.