PDA

View Full Version : Froome complains.........

whforrest
07-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Last year after losing the Tour of Spain by a few seconds Froome signs a generous 2 year contract with Sky knowing that his goal will be to help Wiggins win the Tour de France in the mountains.

In todays article on cyclingnews he seems to be frustrated knowing that he could win the tour and be the first british rider to do so.

And he hopes that Wiggins will help him next year win the tour.

Question of the day. Why did you sign a contract with Sky knowing this very outcome would happen and continue to make remarks about how strong you are in the mountains? You created this situation.

Next year possibly could be one of the most competitive tours we have seen in a long time with the return of Andy, Alberto, Wiggins, Froome and Cadel..............

What are your thougths?

cfox
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
My thoughts are he should shut his piehole. If Wiggins falters in the Pyrenees, he will have his shot to back up his talk.

TMB
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Last year after losing the Tour of Spain by a few seconds Froome signs a generous 2 year contract with Sky knowing that his goal will be to help Wiggins win the Tour de France in the mountains.

In todays article on cyclingnews he seems to be frustrated knowing that he could win the tour and be the first british rider to do so.

Question of the day. Why did you sign a contract with Sky knowing this very outcome would happen and continue to make remarks about how strong you are in the mountains? You created this situation.

Next year possibly could be one of the most competitive tours we have seen in a long time with the return of Andy, Alberto, Wiggins, Froome and Cadel..............

What are your thougths?

How on earth does he Know that he could win the tour?

There is still a 50 km TT an I don't expect that he will rule that day.

He is young and seesm to be reading his own press clippings.

laupsi
07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I know it goes against the morality of the bike racing code of ethics but it's pretty tough, especially when you're that young, to call off the dogs and sit up especially when you think you've got what it takes to ride away from the competition. these guys are all "thoroughbreds" and their instinct is to pounce the competition whenever, whatever...

I don't think Froom is viewing Wiggins as competion, nor do I think he's trying to steal Wiggins' thunder. Froom simply thinks he is riding better and on some stages he's proven as much.

handsomerob
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
I have been trying to figure this out myself. Does a DS always defend the yellow jersey even if it appears that your #2 is in better form?

Would you ever split the pacesetting effort so that you determine where you are going to hedge your bet? Or do you always put all your eggs in the yellow basket?

Fixed
07-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Dejavu. Lemond and the badger
Cheers

MattTuck
07-16-2012, 01:22 PM
This is awesome. Yeah, brainfart, see below. This tour needs some excitement.

+1 on next year's tour being the most competitive in a long time, if all the riders show up at the start line.

Fixed
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
This is awesome. Like Fignon and Lemond. This tour needs some excitement.

+1 on next year's tour being the most competitive in a long time, if all the riders show up at the start line.

Le Blaireau
Cheers

firerescuefin
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
How on earth does he Know that he could win the tour?

There is still a 50 km TT an I don't expect that he will rule that day.

He is young and seesm to be reading his own press clippings.

Seeing that he wouldn't get crushed in the TT...is a much better climber.... And absolutely Would have won the Vuelta last year if he hadn't been towing around Wiggo and the argument is very easy to make

slidey
07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Wiggo is ay too dependent on the Sky train...and kudos to Sky for being so concerted in their efforts towards Wiggo. I mean, even Cav/Eisel are putting in long pulls. I don't think this (likely) win is going to be W's, it's Sky's!

And to me, it's plenty clear that Froome is definitely on par and even better Wiggo...but to be that good and to just sit at your team leader's wheel knowing you're throwing your chances of a win in the greatest tour ever isn't an easy ask of any rider.

As far as next year goes, it should be a toss-up between Contador/Evans/Froome, I think.

Fixed
07-16-2012, 01:42 PM
T j is better than Evans too ?
It is their job to work
Ac used to work for l.a. Too ?
It is old hat in pro cycling
That is part of the fun for fans IMHO
Cheers

ultraman6970
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
In the TT wiggo will crush him. In the mountains Froom will crush wiggo. The issue is that the plan is wiggo, not froom... frooom works for wiggo, end of the story unless something terrible happens like wiggo going down the mountain and braking 10 bones and in that case no other way around, the man is frooom.

Next year who know what it will happens, but the Vuelta is comming. Froom might be there... contador vs froom... I bet you AS wont race the vuelta :D

Fixed
07-16-2012, 01:48 PM
As will not be in Spain
IMHO cheers

Rueda Tropical
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
T j is better than Evans too ?
It is their job to work
Ac used to work for l.a. Too ?
It is old hat in pro cycling
That is part of the fun for fans IMHO
Cheers

It was never AC's job to work for Armstrong. Going into the Tour he was team leader. Armstrong over ruled the team DS at the last minute. Contador had no obligation to bend over for Armstrong as he had no deal with LA and had been repeatedly assured that Lance coming back was not going to change his deal.

It is Froome's job to work for Wiggins. That's the deal he made. He should keep his mouth shut and silently hope Wiggo will crack. If he thinks he's strong enough he should not agree to do the Tour next year as anyone's domestique. After his performance I'm sure there is a team that will back him. Maybe even Wiggins and Sky.

jlwdm
07-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I would like to see what Froome could do, but it is not possible. He has a role on the team.

I think he may be a better climber, but that might not be true. What he has is more acceleration which makes people think he is a better climber.

Look at Nibali. He accelerates and looks unbelievable, but then he is back in the pack.

No way of knowing if Froome could take off and stay away. Wiggins has proven he can grind it out. Also Wiggins is dealing with all of the demands of leading the Tour - Froome is not.

All we have is speculation on Froome.

Jeff

Fixed
07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
It was never AC's job to work for Armstrong. Going into the Tour he was team leader. Armstrong over ruled the team DS at the last minute. Contador had no obligation to bend over for Armstrong as he had no deal with LA and had been repeatedly assured that Lance coming back was not going to change his deal.

It is Froome's job to work for Wiggins. That's the deal he made. He should keep his mouth shut and silently hope Wiggo will crack. If he thinks he's strong enough he should not agree to do the Tour next year as anyone's domestique. After his performance I'm sure there is a team that will back him. Maybe even Wiggins and Sky.

Sorry I am better with 70 and 80's history
Cheers

jpw
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
In the final analysis Froome is doing right on the bike. Her can vent his spleen off the bike, but as long as he does what he's paid to do there's nothing to it.

Van Garderen however is another story entirely. He says the right things off the bike, but clearly didn't do what he's paid to do as evidenced by yesterday's summit behavior. He's out of order and deserves a dressing down. I hope he got one from Ochowitz.

Fixed
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
In the final analysis Froome is doing right on the bike. Her can vent his spleen off the bike, but as long as he does what he's paid to do there's nothing to it.

Van Garderen however is another story entirely. He says the right things off the bike, but clearly didn't do what he's paid to do as evidenced by yesterday's summit behavior. He's out of order and deserves a dressing down. I hope he got one from Ochowitz.

I think he had to sit in time out last night
Cheers

goonster
07-16-2012, 02:32 PM
There is a huge difference between where Froome is now (within spitting distance of yellow, feeling his oats on the slopes), and winning the Tour.

As long as his leader doesn't crack big time, this isn't even close. Froome has a job to do, end of story.

The Lemond/Hinault situation was very different. Hinault had been dropped by the group of favorites, Lemond was ahead in a break and going strong. His DS misrepresented (being generous here) Hinault's predicament, to make Lemond drop back to help.

Froome's dissent may have been overstated. He gave an interview to some Italians*, and by the time it got translated back to English it sounded like a mutiny. I've heard he really said, "I can win the Tour, but not with Sky this year," which really is not controversial at all.

(*= Froome speaks Italian??)

Fixed
07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
there is a huge difference between where froome is now (within spitting distance of yellow, feeling his oats on the slopes), and winning the tour.

As long as his leader doesn't crack big time, this isn't even close. Froome has a job to do, end of story.

The lemond/hinault situation was very different. Hinault had been dropped by the group of favorites, lemond was ahead in a break and going strong. His ds misrepresented (being generous here) hinault's predicament, to make lemond drop back to help.

Froome's dissent may have been overstated. He gave an interview to some italians*, and by the time it got translated back to english it sounded like a mutiny. I've heard he really said, "i can win the tour, but not with sky this year," which really is not controversial at all.

(*= froome speaks italian??)

+1

firerescuefin
07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
In the TT wiggo will crush him. In the mountains Froom will crush wiggo. The issue is that the plan is wiggo, not froom... frooom works for wiggo, end of the story unless something terrible happens like wiggo going down the mountain and braking 10 bones and in that case no other way around, the man is frooom.

Next year who know what it will happens, but the Vuelta is comming. Froom might be there... contador vs froom... I bet you AS wont race the vuelta :D

Crushed????....as in lost 35 seconds to Wiggins on a long time trial and came in second on the stage. He could have taken minutes out of Wiggo in the mountains at this point. I am not arguing he shouldn't be riding in support of Wiggins given the hirearchy of the team...but I would take Froome tomorrow in a heartbeat if I was starting a team...and honestly he is a stronger rider in this tour. The only meaningful time lost was a on flat stage where he flatted and Sky dropped no one back.

Did anyone watch the Vuelta last year?

Uncle Jam's Army
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Crushed????....as in lost 35 seconds to Wiggins on a long time trial and came in second on the stage. He could have taken minutes out of Wiggo in the mountains at this point. I am not arguing he shouldn't be riding in support of Wiggins given the hirearchy of the team...but I would take Froome tomorrow in a heartbeat if I was starting a team...and honestly he is a stronger rider in this tour. The only meaningful time lost was a on flat stage where he flatted and Sky dropped no one back.

Did anyone watch the Vuelta last year?

Pretty sure Froome put a good chunk of time into Wiggo in last year's long Vuelta TT. The guy can TT, too. In fact, I think he'll beat Wiggo in the TT this week. Not sure he can make up 2 + minutes, though, unless Wiggo cracks in the mountains.

tsarpepe
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Froome's dissent may have been overstated. He gave an interview to some Italians*, and by the time it got translated back to English it sounded like a mutiny. I've heard he really said, "I can win the Tour, but not with Sky this year," which really is not controversial at all.

(*= Froome speaks Italian??)

Froome lived in Italy for a few years (lake Como). His Italian is decent.

Grant McLean
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Pretty sure Froome put a good chunk of time into Wiggo in last year's long Vuelta TT. The guy can TT, too. In fact, I think he'll beat Wiggo in the TT this week. Not sure he can make up 2 + minutes, though, unless Wiggo cracks in the mountains.

Stage 10 results 47km
1 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:55:54
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky + 0:59
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky + 1:22
4 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Leopard Trek + 1:27
5 Taylor Phinney (USA) BMC Racing + 1:33

slidey
07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
3 years is a pretty long time! That is how long Froome's contract with Sky is and that's enough time for a rider of his caliber to be a serious contender for the tour too. I don't think Froome was this strong when he signed the contract, and I don't know if he signed it specifically stating that he's signing off his chances of team leader for TdF for that entire period.

From where I stand, Froome has done nothing wrong and I'd find it rather spineless (think Schleck's) if he didn't make himself heard. If he was a team leader on a different team, then surely he'd be a serious GC contender...whether he'd win is another thing, but the fact that he'd be a GC contender is in itself reason enough for a team to buy his Sky contract out and plan its strategy around him, or reason enough for Sky to plan with him in mind next year. That's just what he's saying! This tour thus far, he's been supporting Wiggins throughout...so no breach of contract there.

67-59
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM
If he signed the contract knowing that Wiggo was their GC guy, then he has NOTHING to complain about. He's getting exactly what he signed on for - big bucks to ride as a domestique.

It would be very different if he signed with a promise that he'd be the guy in the TdF.

cfox
07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Wiggo putting big time into his rivals in the TT's is virtually guaranteed, Froome dropping everyone in the mountains is not. He says he feels strong and he put in an acceleration...BFD. If he attacks and blows up , it's over, maybe for both of them. Risk/reward is very skewed for sky to win this in the TT.

slidey
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
This takes us into the unknown doesn't it? I find it hard to believe that any team would be making their choice of the same team leader for a fixed number of years. But, that is just common sense speaking and not any knowledge of the specifics of the contract.

If he signed the contract knowing that Wiggo was their GC guy, then he has NOTHING to complain about.

firerescuefin
07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Wiggo putting big time into his rivals in the TT's is virtually guaranteed, Froome dropping everyone in the mountains is not. He says he feels strong and he put in an acceleration...BFD. If he attacks and blows up , it's over, maybe for both of them. Risk/reward is very skewed for sky to win this in the TT.

You know Froome is a world class TTr...and has owned Wiggins in the mountains in the last 2 Grand Tours they've ridden....towing Sir Wiggo through the Vuelta last year cost Froome the overall victory...see the results above in the Vuelta TT.

At the end of the day I hope Froome remains the great teammate and is bought out of his contract at Sky so he can put his stamp on a grand tour. Time is too short to ride for someone else in a grand tour...when you're the stronger rider, and capable of winning the whole thing.

tannhauser
07-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Not a story.

bluesea
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
If only he kept his thoughts to himself, might have had the chance to pull a Cunego.

cfox
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM
You know Froome is a world class TTr...and has owned Wiggins in the mountains in the last 2 Grand Tours they've ridden....towing Sir Wiggo through the Vuelta last year cost Froome the overall victory...see the results above in the Vuelta TT.

At the end of the day I hope Froome remains the great teammate and is bought out of his contract at Sky so he can put his stamp on a grand tour. Time is too short to ride for someone else in a grand tour...when you're the stronger rider, and capable of winning the whole thing.
I do know about Froome's TT ability, but Wiggo's performances in PN, Romandie and the Dauphine TT's earned him the right to lead a TT friendly tour. Froome put in a good dig the other day, I don't think that qualifies as "owned." The Vuelta is a different beast altogether with a total emphasis on climbing super steep grades. This TDF is not the Vuelta.

54ny77
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Hes not long for Sky if talking like that, no?

firerescuefin
07-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I do know about Froome's TT ability, but Wiggo's performances in PN, Romandie and the Dauphine TT's earned him the right to lead a TT friendly tour. Froome put in a good dig the other day, I don't think that qualifies as "owned." The Vuelta is a different beast altogether with a total emphasis on climbing super steep grades. This TDF is not the Vuelta.

Froome is a better climber than Wiggins...period. Wiggins will tell you this.To being pulling someone along for K's on end, setting hard tempo... and still be stronger when it matters ='s a lot stronger in my book.

Froome can limit his losses in the TT against Wiggo. Straight up...he's stronger than Wiggins in this race...Like I said earlier, I am not saying that he should be the leader, given the hirearchy of the team and Wiggins standing.
You're right...the Vuelta is a different race, but what we saw there is exactly what we're seeing here..and you're spot on regarding Wiggin's prep for this race...He's done everything right and along with Boonen, has owned this year.

Pretty sad that this is what we're left with to discuss....so is the lack of drama in this tour.

54ny77
07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Wouldve loved to have seen Contador in this years race.

Black Dog
07-16-2012, 09:10 PM
We need to revisit this discussion next Sunday. Then we will know for sure.

pdmtong
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
it's all talk until sunday.

talk is fine, let him.

surely he has a bran and can understand the implications of his remarks.

slidey
07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm with you on this!

deanster
07-16-2012, 11:17 PM

What are your thougths?

The Golden Rule: "He who has the gold makes the rules." If you sign a contract with a team then, you need to do what they ask. If Froome was on another team he would have a very difficult time beating Wiggo and Sky. That is why it is called a team.

jpw
07-17-2012, 04:47 AM

Next year. Should be fun. He will get a lot of abuse from the French public. The rider who defeats him will assume heroic status.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Dejavu. Lemond and the badger
Cheers

And Riis and Ullrich, altho Riis admitted he wasn't up to the task.

Froome will get his chance. Unless Wiggo implodes, his role is clear, like TeeJay and Cadel.