PDA

View Full Version : Bottom bracket drag (DA 7800 and Chris King)

monkeybanana86
07-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm running a DA 7800 crank on one of my CSI and the drag has always been bad with the shimano BB.
For example, giving a little push on my campy square taper bike I get more than one revolution where on my CSI (with the same wheel and set up) with the same push I get almost one rev.
So I got a King BB because I'll be riding in more dirty conditions and was hoping that it would also help with the spinning a little bit but it seems to spin the same. It's smooth but doesn't spin like my square Record BB.

Here's my question, after the break in period should I expect the King to spin more or will I always have such drag? I'm pretty sure the BB was faced but if this is really abnormal behavior I'll take the bike to the shop.

Thanks!

apeescape
07-15-2012, 11:28 AM
The drag is the seals that keep the bearings clean. Tour mechanics remove these seals to provide less friction.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2012, 11:57 AM
The drag is the seals that keep the bearings clean. Tour mechanics remove these seals to provide less friction.

BUT don't do that, BB will go south quickly.
Frame BB shell prepped? Faces and threads parallel?

Grant McLean
07-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Here's my question, after the break in period should I expect the King to spin more or will I always have such drag?

Thanks!

That depends on if your frame threads are aligned or not, or tension is
properly adjusted.

I don't think the seal drag of my King BB changed over time. Mine has about
10,000 km's on it, it spins nicely now, it was very nice when it was new.

I just finished wiping off my chain, so i gave my 7900/king combo a spin
without the chain touching, and a quick yank on the arms rotated the cranks
a little more than 4 times... but it's going to depend how hard to spin them
how many times they go around. It's easy to over-estimate how much some
seal drag is to actual pedal performance.

My much bigger concern would be that the bearings and the cups
cups are properly aligned, and that the tension on the sideload is correct -
for these two factors will shorten bearing life considerably, whereas a little
seal drag is inconsequential, and completely imperceptible when pedalling.

-g

Puget Pounder
07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
That depends on if your frame threads are aligned or not, or tension is
properly adjusted.

I don't think the seal drag of my King BB changed over time. Mine has about
10,000 km's on it, it spins nicely now, it was very nice when it was new.

I just finished wiping off my chain, so i gave my 7900/king combo a spin
without the chain touching, and a quick yank on the arms rotated the cranks
a little more than 4 times... but it's going to depend how hard to spin them
how many times they go around. It's easy to over-estimate how much some
seal drag is to actual pedal performance.

My much bigger concern would be that the bearings and the cups
cups are properly aligned, and that the tension on the sideload is correct -
for these two factors will shorten bearing life considerably, whereas a little
seal drag is inconsequential, and completely imperceptible when pedalling.

-g

+1

I don't think spinning your cranks to compare the revolutions is a good way to gauge how much this is going to affect your pedaling.

monkeybanana86
07-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks all. I'll take the bike to the shop after some miles and see if anything changes.

@puget. I was trying to give an idea of how much drag there is without making a video. I dont hide in my bedroom and spin cranks all day long lol. I know it doesn't affect my pedaling but I want to know if this is norma.

ultraman6970
07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
You cant compare external cups with a squared tapper lose balls or even a well used squared tapper with sealed bearings because the squared tapper will turn forever compared with the external bearings one.

What are u saying is normal, nothing is wrong with it.

monkeybanana86
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
You cant compare external cups with a squared tapper lose balls or even a well used squared tapper with sealed bearings because the squared tapper will turn forever compared with the external bearings one.

What are u saying is normal, nothing is wrong with it.

o.k. cool. that's what I've been reading on other sites as well though my fsa press fit bb on another bike spins a lot better than the externals as well.

firerescuefin
07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I too run the kink bb. I think your quest is not worth the time and energy spent. That being said, I have 2 neurotic friends that run different viscosity lubricant in their king bbs for race day aps. With their zirc grease tool...it's not too hard to do

monkeybanana86
07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I too run the kink bb. I think your quest is not worth the time and energy spent. That being said, I have 2 neurotic friends that run different viscosity lubricant in their king bbs for race day aps. With their zirc grease tool...it's not too hard to do

i'm not going to remove seals or run low viscous lubricants. I just wanted to know if the drag was normal, that's all :)

SteveV0983
07-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I have my first King BB on my new bike and there seemed to be a little drag at first, but I have read that they do in fact roll better after about 100 miles. And by "drag" I simply mean that with nothing but the cranks installed (no chain), if I spun the cranks they would only go around about once. But when I moved the cranks by hand, there was absolutely no resistance and they were silky smooth. Exact same thing happened when I installed an Ultegra outboard BB 3 years ago. Compared to the inboard 9 speed that I was replacing at the time, the Ultegras never spun as freely. You should try calling King. I've called them with both BB and headset questions and they were always pleasant and more than happy to talk to me. But mine did the same thing as yours, so I don't think it sounds like there is anything wrong.

monkeybanana86
07-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Steve, if yours behaves exactly like mine and with everyone else's input it sounds like my bb is ok. I have been riding my campy bb bike more so I was used to having my pedal spin to proper position at stop signs with the flick of my toe so I didn't know if this new drag was normal. Thanks for the confirmation.

ultraman6970
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
with UT is the same just in case.

monkeybanana86
07-16-2012, 12:14 AM
with UT is the same just in case.

ha i was just thinking about that on my train ride home tonight