PDA

View Full Version : Bike shops do not know how to lift bicycles

elcolombiano
07-14-2012, 02:32 AM
My carbon seat post is frozen in my steel frame. Today I took it to a high end bike shop. My rear brake cable runs along the bottom side of the top tube. The cable over most of the top tube is bare and does not run through a cable housing.

The bike shop guy picked up the bike by placing the fingers of one hand under the middle of the top tube with the bare brake cable sandwiched between his fingers and the top tube, lifting the bike and carrying it across the bike shop.

Doesn't the bare cable scratch the top tube finish when the bike is carried this way?

This is the second bike shop that has done this to my bike. Why do the have to put their finger prints all over the top tube. Can't they pick up the bike by the handle bars and the saddle or seatpost? When I brought this to the attention of the bike shop employee he insisted it does not scratch the paint finish.

Why do bike shop employees not even know how to pick up a bike? I am really upset over this.

vqdriver
07-14-2012, 03:03 AM
I was never comfortable with that either. Tho it doesn't seem to have caused any scratches yet. Also not crazy about running along the top of the TT either since I tend to sit on it a lot. I'm most happy with exposed cables along the downtube.

Unless you're rubbing it back and forth tho I guess the clear can handle it.

elcolombiano
07-14-2012, 03:31 AM
Vqdriver - I agree with you having an exposed cable running along the top tube is a bad design. They do it to reduce the friction to operate the rear brake. I have found my self several time trying to pick up the bike by the top tube my self but I catch myself and stop when I feel the wire.

cat6
07-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Edit

Fixed
07-14-2012, 06:19 AM
I always pull up on bars and roll them on the back wheel
They maneuver better that way
Cheers

witcombusa
07-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Fingerprints?

Seriously, you are worried about fingerprints?

It's a bike, get over it already :confused:

duke
07-14-2012, 06:47 AM
What witcombusa said.
duke

echelon_john
07-14-2012, 07:08 AM
You trust your bike to a BIKE shop? :eek:

Jason E
07-14-2012, 07:23 AM
You are going to a bike shop looking for some sort of white-glove concierge type treatment of your bike. This is not trained. Deal with the owner, deal with th e manager, and tell them your expectations if they do not meet them. However I would think twice about how you phrase it. If you critisize them for not knowing how to lift your or any bike, you are going to have a mystery ball bearing in your rim.

I can understand not wanting to scratch your bike unnecessarily, but it you can rest your sweaty balls on it, some guy just trying to lift it into the rack needs to be cut some slack. I can pick up a bike by the top tube and flip the cables out of the way with my fingers in one quick motion. Like putting your fingers on the frets, not the strings, of a guitar.

In general, you need to relax. If you do not want someone getting fingerprints on your bike, do your own work.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2012, 07:30 AM
My carbon seat post is frozen in my steel frame. Today I took it to a high end bike shop. My rear brake cable runs along the bottom side of the top tube. The cable over most of the top tube is bare and does not run through a cable housing.

The bike shop guy picked up the bike by placing the fingers of one hand under the middle of the top tube with the bare brake cable sandwiched between his fingers and the top tube, lifting the bike and carrying it across the bike shop.

Doesn't the bare cable scratch the top tube finish when the bike is carried this way?

This is the second bike shop that has done this to my bike. Why do the have to put their finger prints all over the top tube. Can't they pick up the bike by the handle bars and the saddle or seatpost? When I brought this to the attention of the bike shop employee he insisted it does not scratch the paint finish.

Why do bike shop employees not even know how to pick up a bike? I am really upset over this.

Why is your seatpost frozen in the frame? Who installed it w/o any sort of lube, antisieze, carbon paste?

Was your frame top tube underside scratched? By lifting it like that?

Do you expect to the wrench to have doctor clean hands while he works on some really dirty machines called 'bicycles'? If he does put 'fingerprints' on you bicycle, does he clean them off?

I'd say if you are really that upset, do the work yourself. And please, let us know when you scratch the bike yourself.

Ti Designs
07-14-2012, 07:42 AM
When I first started working at a bike shop I started treating the bikes I worked on as my own - well, really much better than my own. Then our head mechanic gave me some advice that has stuck with me. He said "this is a bike shop, we don't baby bikes, we fix them". If you have one bike to work on you can worry about tiny scratches and fingerprints. If you have 20 bikes to work on a day, every day...

Doesn't riding get dirt all over your tires?

bobswire
07-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I get more bugged about folks posting large picture files that
distort the whole page of a thread,especially if it is not a bike
or bike related. :butt:

Jason E
07-14-2012, 07:47 AM
distort the whole page of a thread. :butt:

[x] Like

I was just in the User Control Panel looking for a format option... All over a stupid couch!

93legendti
07-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Sorry this bugs you, but in the shop where I work part time, fingerprints don't make the top 100 of concerns when lifting the bike. Bikes to be repaired go on racks, often 3 high. If I worried aout fingerprints, I'd probably end up dropping the bike while trying to rack it.

Tandem Rider
07-14-2012, 08:03 AM
How are fingerprints a measure of a mechanics skill when the bike has a stuck seatpost? Maybe the wrong yardstick is being used.

Tony T
07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Mine has 3 small rubber "washers" on the cable:

Ti Designs
07-14-2012, 08:14 AM
How are fingerprints a measure of a mechanics skill when the bike has a stuck seatpost? Maybe the wrong yardstick is being used.

Only a true bike Jedi can remove a stuck seatpost without touching the bike. As for the yardstick, that's used to measure something else, which has nothing to do with the bike...

Jason E
07-14-2012, 08:16 AM
As for the yardstick, that's used to measure something else, which has nothing to do with the bike...

Do they have a metric version?

apeescape
07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I think you should work on your own bike and stop bothering that shop. Those are some pretty ridiculous concerns.

rugbysecondrow
07-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Suck it up and move on. It is just a bike, meant to be ridden, sweat on, gotten dirty and (the horror) scratched. If you actually ride a bike in the real world, things happen.

Who did the seat post? That would concern me more than some finger prints.

Gummee
07-14-2012, 08:35 AM
The OP is why I prefer working on less expensive bikes. When the owner of a mid-range or lower gets their bike back, they're ecstatic that it works again.

As in the OP the owners of 'nice' bikes get their panties in a wad over the smallest stuff. Waaah you're not lifting my bike right! Waaah. Get over it princess! Its a bicycle not a Picasso

M

Ti Designs
07-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Do they have a metric version?

The phrase "whip out my big 25.4cm" just doesn't work.

Bob Loblaw
07-14-2012, 08:41 AM
I hope the OP left the room before he saw the mechanics trying to unstick his frozen post. :eek:

BL

csm
07-14-2012, 08:48 AM
the shop I wrench in part-time wipes the bikes down afterwards.

biker72
07-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I always pull up on bars and roll them on the back wheel
They maneuver better that way
Cheers

+1
Solves all the problems...:)

biker72
07-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I hope the OP left the room before he saw the mechanics trying to unstick his frozen post. :eek:

BL

+1
Yes, it can get very ugly....

rugbysecondrow
07-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Waaah you're not lifting my bike right! Waaah. Get over it princess! Its a bicycle not a Picasso

M

Awesome.

nahtnoj
07-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Its official, this place has become an extension of bikeforums.

martinrjensen
07-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with the majority of these posts. I think you are being unnecessarily worried about something really really insignificant.
Did you ever set your coffe cup on the top of your car when you got in? Did you repaint your car afterwards?
You got a lot of things to be concerned about than this.

bobswire
07-14-2012, 09:08 AM

BL

http://i47.tinypic.com/vo3bww.jpg

Fixed
07-14-2012, 09:08 AM

BL

+1
Cheers

EricEstlund
07-14-2012, 10:06 AM
The two things I won't touch on a bike with my dirty hands- saddles and bar tape. Errant grease from a finger can be cleaned off a top tube- not so much on that new white or suede saddle.

54ny77
07-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Your chocolate got in my peanut butter!

fourflys
07-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Then our head mechanic gave me some advice that has stuck with me. He said "this is a bike shop, we don't baby bikes, we fix them". If you have one bike to work on you can worry about tiny scratches and fingerprints. If you have 20 bikes to work on a day, every day...

this is a little disturbing... I agree on the fingerprints, but it sounds like the mech told you to not to worry about being gentle with the bikes... have you ever been to a high end car dealership's service department and seen how they treat the cars? The cars look better than when they came in usually... I know the shop I just finished working in (a Performance) took care to treat the bikes like they were our own... I'm not saying you have to treat the things like the Hope diamond, but have the attitude "we fix bikes, we don't baby them" is a little harsh in my opinion... not a shop I would frequent anyway...

cat6
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
distort the whole page of a thread,especially if it is not a bike
or bike related. :butt:

I fixed it for you, sir. Have a nice day.

Kontact
07-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Nope.

FlashUNC
07-14-2012, 01:06 PM
This thread is fantastic.

Fwiw, just shared this with my local mechanic. He also thanks everyone for the awesome thread.

elcolombiano
07-14-2012, 02:34 PM
We all have different backgrounds and values. What is acceptable to one person may not be to another and it is important acknowledge and respect that.

I grew up with and most of my friends are perfectionists and try to take the best care possible with their personal possessions. I enjoy nice things and maintaining them in perfect condition. That is what I like to do.

For the past 39 years I have done 98% of my bicycle repair and maintenance myself because I enjoy it. When I do the work myself I have complete control over the quality of the output and I like that. No one is perfect. I have made mistakes along the way throughout the years but I have learned from all of them. Only if something requires special expensive equipment do I take it to a bike shop. I don't have the tools to tap bottom brackets or remove or install headsets. I cut my own fork steeres and build my own wheels.

I am sure there are bike shops out there whose employees are perfectionists and enjoy taking care of handling and repairing bicycles the best way possible so they are not damaged. To some bicycles are just tools you use and every season or two when they get old or wear out they throw them out and get a new one, while there are others that it is like a work of art and treat it that way and keep it for a life time.

The important thing is to accept that people are different and not put people down because they don't value the same things you do.

My seat post is stuck and needs to be sawed out. If this is not done carefully the frame can be damaged. I want someone to do it that has done this before and is very careful.

witcombusa
07-14-2012, 02:44 PM
We all have different backgrounds and values. What is acceptable to one person may not be to another and it is important acknowledge and respect that.

I grew up with and most of my friends are perfectionists and try to take the best care possible with their personal possessions. I enjoy nice things and maintaining them in perfect condition. That is what I like to do.

For the past 39 years I have done 98% of my bicycle repair and maintenance myself because I enjoy it. When I do the work myself I have complete control over the quality of the output and I like that. No one is perfect. I have made mistakes along the way throughout the years but I have learned from all of them. Only if something requires special expensive equipment do I take it to a bike shop. I don't have the tools to tap bottom brackets or remove or install headsets. I cut my own fork steeres and build my own wheels.

I am sure there are bike shops out there whose employees are perfectionists and enjoy taking care of handling and repairing bicycles the best way possible so they are not damaged. To some bicycles are just tools you use and every season or two when they get old or wear out they throw them out and get a new one, while there are others that it is like a work of art and treat it that way and keep it for a life time.

The important thing is to accept that people are different and not put people down because they don't value the same things you do.

My seat post is stuck and needs to be sawed out. If this is not done carefully the frame can be damaged. I want someone to do it that has done this before and is very careful.

So if that is the case, who installed the seat post?

Why was it not done "very carefully"? (with grease/anti seize) :confused:

FlashUNC
07-14-2012, 02:49 PM
If you wanted it done carefully, why didn't you ask for your bike back the second he grabbed it, if it doesn't meet your standards?

slidey
07-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes, you're right...there are bike mechanics who have finesse at their fingertips.

Ah, but therein lies the catch...fingertips! :eek:

I am sure there are bike shops out there whose employees are perfectionists and enjoy taking care of handling and repairing bicycles the best way possible so they are not damaged.

Respecting other people's view points are all fine, when within reason. Expecting surgical cleanliness from a bike mechanic whilst working just on your bike is well outside the realm of any reason.

1happygirl
07-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Suck it up and move on. It is just a bike, meant to be ridden, sweat on, gotten dirty and (the horror) scratched. If you actually ride a bike in the real world, things happen.

I keep telling myself this to convince me but I agree with the op. I WANT to have this opinion but... (have to tell my parents I actually agree with someone-Ha)
I even see this in my car care. Granted I'm not riding-or driving- a Ferrari HOWEVER the way I've seen peeps throw my bike and car around and chip the paint, gheezh. And yes, I would work on all my stuff if I could myself.

A small example as I spent a lot of money to have tint installed in my car. Asked the peeps at the dealer not to put stickers on the tint. "Your car is ready Miss." First thing (and I did tell them up front) don't put stickers there, ruins it. Scratches on plastic from tools/rings/keys held in same hand handling bike or car. If it were there (insert item here) would they take more care?
Am I being unreasonable too?
A lot of ppl here have 10,000 investments in their bikes. I don't have that much but can't imagine someone not being P.O.'d at shops throwing there bike around. If I want it scratched, I'll do that part myself.

PS fond memories of me and my dad working on stuff together. I knew he probably would have loved to have boys, anyway, at the times we did we both looked at each other and he said you know we would never make money at this being slow and careful.
His favorite phase was (when cleaning off a part especially or greasing something) "you know if you took it to a shop they would never do this for ya they would just put it back on etc"
Good times.

J.Greene
07-14-2012, 03:02 PM
A stuck seatpost sounds like negligence. One might think with all the time spent wiping away finger prints you could lube the post now and again.

jlwdm
07-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Does not matter at this point. He is looking to fix a problem.

Jeff

Ti Designs
07-14-2012, 03:06 PM
have you ever been to a high end car dealership's service department and seen how they treat the cars?

You mean how they work or the show they put on for the customer?

Every shop in the world would like you to think that your bike was worked on by NASA trained mechanics and stored in a humidity controlled room at exactly 55 degrees, and they wash your waterbottle and replace the battery on your computer and... The truth is bikes are stored somewhere - the place that's probably not clean enough to be used as a retail space. When they get busy they cram more bikes into the same space, which they share with the compressor and a whole lot of spiders. Car places in general aren't much better. At the end of the day many of them will bring the cars into the garage. My little race car has spent a few nights in a bay, under another car that's up on the lift. The reason they wash all the cars in the morning is they don't want the customers to know that someone else's car dripped oil on their baby. Honestly, if you want to baby your bike(s) 24/7, get a workstand and a wall full of tools (no better way of showing off OCD) and hit up your local medical supply place for the cleanest shop towels in the world...

I'm far more annoyed at how some mechanics don't care that much if something doesn't work when it should.

witcombusa
07-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Does not matter at this point. He is looking to fix a problem.

Jeff

Prevention so it doesn't happen again? :confused:

elcolombiano
07-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Mr. WitcombUSA,

You state "Prevention so it doesn't happen again?"

Do you have any suggestions?

witcombusa
07-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Mr. WitcombUSA,

You state "Prevention so it doesn't happen again?"

Do you have any suggestions?

As was talked about above;

Frame properly reamed to the correct size and deburred

Seat post of the corresponding correct size, inserted past min.

Liberal application of appropriate grease/anti seize/carbon paste

Proper torque of the binder bolt

elcolombiano
07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Thank you

echelon_john
07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
And, importantly, repeat the 'Liberal application' step (maybe with a quick wipedown/cleanup before) at least twice a year; spring and fall work.

Almost all (not all, but the overwhelming majority) of the frozen seat posts I've dealt with have been left in the frame for 1-2 years + with no additional lube.

So considering the 2.31 minutes it takes to find some electrical tape, mark your height, loosen your bolt, pull your post, wipe it down, apply fresh grease, reinsert, and wipe off excess grease, it's a pretty good investment.

As was talked about above;

Frame properly reamed to the correct size and deburred

Seat post of the corresponding correct size, inserted past min.

Liberal application of appropriate grease/anti seize/carbon paste

Proper torque of the binder bolt

NRRider
07-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Guess I'm the only one (at least distinct minority) with some empathy for the OP here. I think part of the problem is the mention of fingerprints.

While he mentions fingerprints, I think (hope) what really got him annoyed was the potential for scratching the paint by gripping the TT and brake cable together and lifting/carrying the bike. I would think that it could end up scratching the paint if the bike does any sort of twisting while being carried that way, and there are better ways of lifting/carrying the bike. In reality, however, just because he wrapped his hand around the TT and brake cable doesn't mean the two were actually touching, as the cable could end up being cradled in a joint on his hand/fingers or he could have formed his hand so that he only was touching the TT even if it looked like he was pushing the cable against the TT.

Not sure it warrants being completely upset about it, but I can see why this would cause someone to be annoyed. Just ask if next time he could lift it by the seatpost or seat tube, or just be careful not to scratch the TT with the brake cable.

OP--you can't be serious about the whole fingerprint thing right? Those would wipe off just like dirt from riding.

Wilkinson4
07-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Carbon post, grease, and steel frame = stuck post imo. Maybe Cap't Bike can help?

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

mIKE

pdmtong
07-14-2012, 11:08 PM
If the OP cares about scratches from the cable on his TT, that is his entitlement...it's his bike, not yours or mine.

That said, it is not reasonable to expect shop folks to carry ones bike in a certain way consistently. The fact the bike is in the shop opens it up dings, drops, bumps...$hit happens.

If the OP is worried about the bottom of his TT, then he should wrap it with an inner tube before giving it to the shop.

elcolombiano
07-15-2012, 12:43 AM
NRRider - I saw the shop employee lift the bike up off the ground by placing his finger tips on the brake cable as if he were pressing a guitar string and lifting the bike up in the air. The full weight of the bike was wresting on the finger tips with the brake cable over them and the top tube on top of the cable. I can not believe you can not do this without damaging the finish, but I will see when I pick it up Sunday.

This is a high end bike shop that has many $5-10K or more bikes. They had $6K carbon wheels. They should know how to handle bikes. These are not baggage handlers at the airport. I know how to pack a bike to protect it for that use.

elcolombiano
07-15-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with the majority of these posts. I think you are being unnecessarily worried about something really really insignificant.
Did you ever set your coffe cup on the top of your car when you got in? Did you repaint your car afterwards?
You got a lot of things to be concerned about than this.

Do I ever set my coffee cup on top of my car. First of all I do not drink coffee. Secondly I do not eat or drink in my car. Lastly I do not set anything on top of my car.

shinomaster
07-15-2012, 01:47 AM
I don't mind if people pick my bikes up by the top tube but it seems that whenever I put on new white bar tape, a mechanic will grab it with black , greasy fingers and leave marks all over it.

DRietz
07-15-2012, 01:49 AM
What kind of bike is it? Hopeully not a Specialized or Trek or Giant or whatever, because - gasp! - those get manhandled from conception to shipping, when they're stuffed into a cardboard box and then loaded onto a boat with thousands of others, cables undoubtedly rubbing all the way across the ocean.

Hopefully it's not too expensive. If I spent thousands of dollars on a bike and the paint scratched that easily I'd be pissed at myself for buying such a piece of ****.

gdw
07-15-2012, 01:50 AM
I hope this thread is a joke. If not, see a doctor asap... apparently someone stole your testicles.

elcolombiano
07-15-2012, 02:00 AM
What kind of bike is it? Hopeully not a Specialized or Trek or Giant or whatever, because - gasp! - those get manhandled from conception to shipping, when they're stuffed into a cardboard box and then loaded onto a boat with thousands of others, cables undoubtedly rubbing all the way across the ocean.

Hopefully it's not too expensive. If I spent thousands of dollars on a bike and the paint scratched that easily I'd be pissed at myself for buying such a piece of ****.

Its a Ritchey Breakaway. The paint is beautiful with a clear coat but delicate. It it does not come in a carboard box but in a custom suitcase. And the paint was applied perfectly. Better than my $5K Serrota frame. I will never own a Specialized, Trek or Giant. Those are for somebody else.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=503881

slidey
07-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Man, you must carry hand sanitizer in your jersey pocket to wipe your hands with after having a gel whilst riding.

On a serious note though, since you've handed your bike to a bike shop it means you're incompetent to carry out the specific job at hand; nothing wrong there. However, how about showing some gratitude and respect for the guy who'll be sorting your bike out! You seem to be broadly accusing every bike shop of indulging in bike-tampering activities. The way I see it, if it's not chipped then grab a cloth and wipe the dirt off, it's your bike after all.

Finally, I'm not a tenth as anal as you are but even I don't turn my bike in to just any bike shop in town...I'm lucky to know a trusted couple of people in town and I always turn my bike in to just them. If you're so picky about fingerprints and stuff, you'd be better off spending more time in finding a very trustworthy mechanic first up. Let me clarify, trustworthy here refers to mechanical expertise.

NRRider - I saw the shop employee lift the bike up off the ground by placing his finger tips on the brake cable as if he were pressing a guitar string and lifting the bike up in the air. The full weight of the bike was wresting on the finger tips with the brake cable over them and the top tube on top of the cable. I can not believe you can not do this without damaging the finish, but I will see when I pick it up Sunday.

This is a high end bike shop that has many $5-10K or more bikes. They had $6K carbon wheels. They should know how to handle bikes. These are not baggage handlers at the airport. I know how to pack a bike to protect it for that use.

DRietz
07-15-2012, 02:16 AM
Its a Ritchey Breakaway. The paint is beautiful with a clear coat but delicate. It it does not come in a carboard box but in a custom suitcase. And the paint was applied perfectly. Better than my $5K Serrota frame. I will never own a Specialized, Trek or Giant. Those are for somebody else.

But, it IS a mass-produced steel frame made over seas? Likely in the sane factory that creates those bikes for "other" people.

Regardless, you probably know by now that your reaction is quite ridiculous, and if not, you're either a troll or just relatively high strung. Next time don't get the post stuck. ;)

apeescape
07-15-2012, 02:19 AM
So your worried about getting a scratch on the underside of a travel bike? Again stop bother these poor bikeshop employees and just read a book and do it yourself. I dont think I've ever seen a frame marred by a single instance of someone holding the bike with only the bikes weight scratching the paint. Post mount car rack? Yes. Your underpaid mechanics hands? No. Maybe you have some BB's in your frame.

Tony T
07-15-2012, 04:45 AM

I always pick up my bike that way. As I said, my cable has 3 rubber 'washers'
I suggest that you ask the LBS to install these before you pick up your bike today.

beercan
07-15-2012, 06:21 AM
this is a good one - good read guys, if he wants to be let him be mad, it his bike, bikes are meant to get ridden, dirty and scratched, its happens either way in the end, good sunday everyone

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2012, 06:25 AM

It is a travel bike, these bikes are made specifically for that purpose, I have owned one. They will get dinged, dented, scratched and marked if actually used for travel. The Breakaway specifically will get this around the couplered areas as it is paint on paint. Not sure how you get a seatpost stuck in this bike as the seatpost is a key part of the process to break it down.

I will mention, i can pick my bike up by the top tube and not fully grip they top tube in such a way where the cable will scratch. It is only a 20-15 pound object, not heavy at all and my hand have enough dexterity to be able to ensure I am grabbing the right part.

Lastly, you are more anal than I, but that is cool and your prerogative. What is not cool is expecting everybody else to be just as anal as you.

Fixed
07-15-2012, 06:27 AM
The op loves his bike .like some guys love their cars .
We all have our quirks I would trade that one for one of mine
Cheers

Fixed
07-15-2012, 06:33 AM
[QUOTE=rugbysecondrow;1171804]It is a travel bike, these bikes are made specifically for that purpose, I have owned one. They will get dinged, dented, scratched and marked if actually used for travel.

Like getting your passport stamped each mark is a memory a sign of a well used bike . You can't go though life without a few dings
Cheers IMHO

Kontact
07-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Your whole premise is that handling a bike this way MUST be bad, and you are therefore unhappy that anyone did that to your bike.

The reality is that it simply won't hurt the paint. I just walked over to my painted bike, pressed the brake cable into the TT paint and rubbed it back and forth a little - absolutely no difference. I'm sure if I really tried the smooth steel cable would eventually dig in, but not from simple finger pressure.

Your complaint is in the same category as worrying about getting carbon fiber frames wet - it's a total non-issue. How is your mechanic supposed to indulge irrational fears that he is not aware of?

Jason E
07-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Hmmm.... I figured we could have locked this and moved on when he said it was a travel bike. What more is left?

I have a wood saw I don't use cause the blade might get scratched.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2012, 07:46 AM

If the seat post is stuck, how do you pack it?

Owning a bike shop, nothing is worse than damaging a customer's bike. BUT, I think you need to check the bottom of the top tube to see if the wrench's 'handling' of the bicycle resulted in a scratched frame(doubt it). I think the much more important question is did they fix the bike?

Gummee
07-15-2012, 08:40 AM
So I had this customer come into the shop when Shamals were brand spanking new and ordered a pair.

They came in and I broke em out of the box for him.

I don't want them. They're scratched.

??

See here? (points to a small scratch on the rim near a nipple)

K. So I sent em back and got another set sent. This time I told the importer to inpsect this pair to make sure there weren't any scratches on this set of wheels.

Got the next set in and sure nuff... scratches. These were around the spoke holes on the hub and weren't nearly as noticeable. Talked him out of having me send em back. Phew. IDK if he was cussing me every time he rode those wheels, but he took em.

Same guy rides with a paper towel under he seat to wipe off sweat mid-ride. He's one of 'those guys' that takes q-tips to his cassette every ride...

Great guy to buy stuff from, but a PITA for a mechanic

M

martinrjensen
07-15-2012, 09:29 AM
That's good. First of all if you did you would loose it at some point, and second repainting your car would really be expensive.Do I ever set my coffee cup on top of my car. First of all I do not drink coffee. Secondly I do not eat or drink in my car. Lastly I do not set anything on top of my car.

lonoeightysix
07-15-2012, 09:38 AM
just pass on to the forumites the method used to free that seatpost...

Jason E
07-15-2012, 09:40 AM
just pass on to the forumites the method used to free that seatpost...

saddle removed, bicycle inverted, seatpost in vice, wheels removed, team of mechanics rowing on the frame like a water pump to break free and release the post.

Just guessing. Can travel bikes handle that stress? Will this leave fingerprints?

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2012, 09:49 AM
saddle removed, bicycle inverted, seatpost in vice, wheels removed, team of mechanics rowing on the frame like a water pump to break free and release the post.

Just guessing. Can travel bikes handle that stress? Will this leave fingerprints?

How can a new frame have a post stuck like that, especially a travel frame which requires the post to move. Since it passes through two separate pieces, TT and ST, I wonder if it is stuck in both or maybe the OP forget to unscrew both clamps.

witcombusa
07-15-2012, 09:54 AM
How can a new frame have a post stuck like that, especially a travel frame which requires the post to move. Since it passes through two separate pieces, TT and ST, I wonder if it is stuck in both or maybe the OP forget to unscrew both clamps.

Good point. Those unfamiliar with the system might just overlook the second pinch bolt.

OP, have you ever packed this bike?

Jason E
07-15-2012, 09:55 AM
,I wonder if it is stuck in both or maybe the OP forget to unscrew both clamps.

:)

130R
07-15-2012, 01:54 PM
When you treat inanimate objects better than people, you've got a problem.

There are worse things in life than a scratched pos ritchey breakaway made overseas.

Seek help OP.

vqdriver
07-15-2012, 02:35 PM
i took a brand new frame into the lbs to press in the headset. this is before i put together my $4 home depot press. when i got it back, the decals (applied over powdercoat) were crinkled where he had clamped the top tube. why he had to clamp the top tube is beyond me, but there wasn't any structural damage. it's right where i can see it and it's annoying for sure but not the end of the world.

mechanics don't always baby or value equipment the same way people who save up for it do. that's what i took away from the op.

as for the fingerprints remark, i thought that was just sarcasm.....

Bob Ross
07-15-2012, 02:35 PM
6 pages on this in ~24 hours? Day-um, imma go git some popcorn!

Fixed
07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
6 pages on this in ~24 hours? Day-um, imma go git some popcorn!
+1
Weird when ? almost wins a mountain stage today
Cheers
Not spoil for anyone ?

nahtnoj
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Since it passes through two separate pieces, TT and ST, I wonder if it is stuck in both or maybe the OP forget to unscrew both clamps.

+1.

Its seems that the OP should have referred back to the instructions that I'm sure he has stored in alphabetical order in a filing cabinet along with the owners manuals and warranty cards for every other thing he has ever purchased.

Earl Gray
07-15-2012, 04:54 PM
The OP sucks!

Thought I would pile on.

This is a good example why some threads should be locked early. It keeps the masses from showing their asses.

etu
07-15-2012, 04:56 PM
+1.

Its seems that the OP should have referred back to the instructions that I'm sure he has stored in alphabetical order in a filing cabinet along with the owners manuals and warranty cards for every other thing he has ever purchased.

Bingo!
We have a winner!

CaptStash
07-15-2012, 05:17 PM
the op sucks!

Thought i would pile on.

This is a good example why some threads should be locked early. It keeps the masses from showing their asses.

+1

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Haha. What is the difference between bandwagon and piling on, I forget?

Anyway, I like posts piling on about people piling on...classic.

lonoeightysix
07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
The OP sucks!

Thought I would pile on.

Oh no, very much no. Great example of popular opinion amongst a most likely experienced population reporting on a solicited inquiry. Why lock? Certainly not a waste of bandwidth, no one attacking the OP's sexual orientation, political affiliation, ethnicity, favorite primary color, street drug of choice, etc...

I, personally, would love to see a Clockwork Orange eye-vice setup of the OP when those wrenches set upon, with all sorts of horrible violence, his perfectly manicured frameset, in order to free his neglected CF post.

Jason E
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how he compared the paint job on his pacific rim steel bike with a serotta paint job.

choke
07-15-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't have the tools to tap bottom brackets or remove or install headsets. I can't help you with the former but here's some good info on the latter two. http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2007/6/8/headset-removal-and-replacement.html Make sure to read the comments, particularly the one re:1 1/8 and the pipe sizes. The PVC pipe works great IME.

And yes, it's been quite the dogpile...sadly.

1happygirl
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
people are always more careful with their own stuff than others. like you tell your children...if you had to pay for that

flydhest
07-15-2012, 07:18 PM
let's move along and start a new thread.

false_Aest
07-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I am really upset over this.

Dude,

time to get upset over other things:

I'll start the list off for you:

1) rape.
2) genital mutilation
3) starvation
4) child soldiers
5) Nicholas Cage

you should go drown your sorrows in champaign.

cfox
07-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Hey El Colombo, I'm totally with you. Here's a snippet of my worry list:

#7,456 - alien rectal probe
#7,457 - Earth essploding
#7,458 - bike mechanic rubbing my brake cable on my top tube
#7,459 - creepy clown on that poster coming alive at night

BCS
07-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Dude,

you should go drown your sorrows in champaign.

Why, Illinois?:cool:

martinrjensen
07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Now I'm gonna think about that clown all night, thanksHey El Colombo, I'm totally with you. Here's a snippet of my worry list:

#7,456 - alien rectal probe
#7,457 - Earth essploding
#7,458 - bike mechanic rubbing my brake cable on my top tube
#7,459 - creepy clown on that poster coming alive at night

beeatnik
07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Poor guy. He expresses frustration at how a luxury item (as defined by economists) was handled at a high end bike shop and is reamed by a community of luxury item fetishists. IMO, his complaint isn't irrational or strange. Endless arguments over groupsets are anal or even morally offensive (in a world where genital mutilation exists - thanks FalseArrest or whatever). Obviously, there are more important things in life; I just got back from the ICU at Cedars Sinai. I will say this: I would be upset if my bike were manhandled by my LBB (local boutique bikeshop - Bike Effect). Those guys treat $10,000 bikes like $10,000 bikes. White glove treatment all the way. Generally, when I pay $25 ($300/hr) to have a headset tightened because I don't ride with a torque wrench, I don't feel like so much of a douchebag when I see the care they take with my baby. And as for car dealerships, my buddy is a service manager at one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country and you'd be shocked at the lengths they go to not harm those cars cosmetically. They may rape you with their prices but in LA many people care more about their cars than their kids.

martinrjensen
07-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Well I guess you have a point but really, cable stops on the ends of the top tube with bare cable in between is pretty standard. Contarary to what someone else mentioned, I think it's a great way to run a cable and I never ever thought about scratching the paint (lets just forget about leaving fingerprints on the frame) for the few seconds I picked up the bike. It's just he seemed to get "sooooo" upset about this that probably is what set us all off. Then when we find out that it's a breakaway frame that requires the seat tube to be removed every time you break it down it just gets worse. Removing the seat tube just is something we though would have been done several times not giving it a chance to be frozen. This is almost (but not quite) right up there with questions about the time of year to change out the air in your tires from summer air to winter air.
I consider myself pretty anal about the appearance of my bikes too, I check and clean them frequently but somethings you just have to live with.
Poor guy. He expresses frustration at how a luxury item (as defined by economists) was handled at a high end bike shop and is reamed by a community of luxury item fetishists. IMO, his complaint isn't irrational or strange. Endless arguments over groupsets are anal or even morally offensive (in a world where genital mutilation exists - thanks FalseArrest or whatever). Obviously, there are more important things in life; I just got back from the ICU at Cedars Sinai. I will say this: I would be upset if my bike were manhandled by my LBB (local boutique bikeshop - Bike Effect). Those guys treat $10,000 bikes like $10,000 bikes. White glove treatment all the way. Generally, when I pay $25 ($300/hr) to have a headset tightened because I don't ride with a torque wrench, I don't feel like so much of a douchebag when I see the care they take with my baby. And as for car dealerships, my buddy is a service manager at one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country and you'd be shocked at the lengths they go to not harm those cars cosmetically. They may rape you with their prices but in LA many people care more about their cars than their kids.

beeatnik
07-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I hear ya, Martin. But the dialogue did devolve early on.

Anyhoo, I think I relate to the OP's "plight" because I've scratched two TTs by forgetting that the brake cable is exposed on those bikes (my no 1 ride has internal cable routing) and mounting the bikes on hitch mounted bike racks. You'd think after the first time I would have been more careful but trying to get to a ride at 6am...

In any case, I'd expect more from a bike shop such as Above Category, Bike Effect, Signature, Studio Velo, etc. I mean, isn't the bread and butter of high end shops, the busy professional who has little time or inclination to learn basic bike maintenance? In other words, clueless rich dudes who need to be catered to.

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I hear ya, Martin. But the dialogue did devolve early on.

Anyhoo, I think I relate to the OP's "plight" because I've scratched two TTs by forgetting that the brake cable is exposed on those bikes (my no 1 ride has internal cable routing) and mounting the bikes on hitch mounted bike racks. You'd think after the first time I would have been more careful but trying to get to a ride at 6am...

In any case, I'd expect more from a bike shop such as Above Category, Bike Effect, Signature, Studio Velo, etc. I mean, isn't the bread and butter of high end shops, the busy professional who has little time or inclination to learn basic bike maintenance? In other words, clueless rich dudes who need to be catered to.

Hold up a second, there was no scratch, no damage. There was no almost scratch or damage. There was no misuse, carelessness, uncaring attitude, the bike was simply picked up and moved. It was obviously moved fine if there was no damage or scratch from the move.

Complaining about how somebody did something which could have maybe caused a scratch...maybe, seem pretty damn anal and unreasonable. Like, where does he lean the bike at the gas station anal. Like, does he get mad if other fellas park their bike next to him on the bike rack mad. Like anal enough to carry a shotgun to shoot any inconsiderate bird that might make a poo and deposit it on the bike..

So yes, the OP is a little anal. In all seriousness, you made the point prior...we need to determine what are real issues vs. perceived issues. You having to spend trying time bedside in the ICU, that is a real issue, worrying about fingerprints and damage that never occurred from mistreatment that didn't occur on a bicycle (a travel bicycle for craps sake)...not an issue.

beeatnik
07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Look up white-glove treatment.

Hold up a second, there was no scratch, no damage. There was no almost scratch or damage. There was no misuse, carelessness, uncaring attitude, the bike was simply picked up and moved. It was obviously moved fine if there was no damage or scratch from the move.

Complaining about how somebody did something which could have maybe caused a scratch...maybe, seem pretty damn anal and unreasonable. Like, where does he lean the bike at the gas station anal. Like, does he get mad if other fellas park their bike next to him on the bike rack mad. Like carry a shotgun to shoot any inconsiderate bird that might make a poo, deposit it on the bike mad.

So yes, the OP is a little off. Seriously, you made the point prior...we need to determine what are real issues vs. Perceived issues. You having to spend trying time bedside in the ICU, that is a real issue, worrying about fingerprints and damage that never occurred from mistreatment that didn't occur on a bicycle (a travel bicycle for craps sake)...not an issue.

bikinchris
07-15-2012, 10:20 PM
When I first started working at a bike shop I started treating the bikes I worked on as my own - well, really much better than my own. Then our head mechanic gave me some advice that has stuck with me. He said "this is a bike shop, we don't baby bikes, we fix them". If you have one bike to work on you can worry about tiny scratches and fingerprints. If you have 20 bikes to work on a day, every day...

Doesn't riding get dirt all over your tires?

Exactly. You are there as a mechanic to make money for the shop. You aren't supposed to scratch the bikes, of course. Pucking up the bike taht way probably didn't scratch the TT. If the OP is worried about the brake cable scratching the top tube, then he better worry about every large bump on the road slapping that same cable against the paint.

rugbysecondrow
07-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Look up white-glove treatment.

The issue is not a lack of a definition but that reasonable folks don't think it applies in this case.

Funny enough I googled "white glove treatment bike shop" and this thread was the first hit...apparently this is not a hot topic, or even a topic.

Truthfully, anybody who expects the white glove treatment at a bike shop similar to a BMW shop (convenient comparison) has expectations that are so high, no reasonable comment from anybody else will hit anywhere close to home. Of course, shops should respect our gear, but from what the OP said, there wasn't a lack of respect, just a different tactic.

Exactly. You are there as a mechanic to make money for the shop. You aren't supposed to scratch the bikes, of course. Pucking up the bike taht way probably didn't scratch the TT. If the OP is worried about the brake cable scratching the top tube, then he better worry about every large bump on the road slapping that same cable against the paint.

That along with the cable splitter which has to be located somewhere along the TT, it is a travel bike after all.

benitosan1972
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Just go out and ride your bikes, and if you're worried about damage, wear, or dirt... go hang it up in a museum, otherwise enjoy them for the functional art that they are... and pass the Grey Poupon :banana:

rphetteplace
07-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I always use the green handshake method as opposed to the white glove. $20 to the mechanic before service will make sure my bikes are handled with care.

trangalang
07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
While at work today, I couldn't stop thinking about this thread. Thank you, guys.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8430/7580296468_2417694231_z.jpg

Gummee
07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
As a wrench, I treat all the bikes that come in like I treat my own. Having said that, I grab my bikes like in the OP all the time with no issues. Been that way for right on 20 years now with no scratches, harm, foul or whatever.

Its such a non-issue with me that I don't pay attention to it any more.

I can understand that there are people out there more anal than I am (see my last post in this thread) but on the whole, there're other things more important to worry about. Like grease between your chain rollers, whether your ceramic bearings are properly lubed, and whether your tubes have helium in them vs regular air

M

elcolombiano
07-16-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how he compared the paint job on his pacific rim steel bike with a serotta paint job.

Easy - The Serotta paint job if you look carefully was not painted in a low particle count clean room. You can small specs of dust in some places buried in the paint. On the pacific rim job the decals are sanded down smooth and a clear coat applied over them. On the Serotta the decals are applied over the paint with no protection. The pacific rim bike has two tone paint in a beautiful blue and off white color with fancy decals. The clear coat gives it a fantastic shine. The Serotta is all one color with cheezy looking Serotta decals.

elcolombiano
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM

I got the bike back yesterday and by the looks of the seatpost this is probably what they did. I think the the travel bike was able to handle the stress. There was grease and oil all over the frame. I cleaned it up. It was no big deal. The look carbon ergo post has seen better days and is chewed up. I think I will get a Thompson this time.

elcolombiano
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Mine has 3 small rubber "washers" on the cable:

Mine has the same. This keeps the cable from slapping on the finish while you ride. It does not protect well against picking unless the fingers go over the rubber washers.

firerescuefin
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Just read through this thread....where's Allen Funt:help:

elcolombiano
07-16-2012, 11:32 PM
A stuck seatpost sounds like negligence. One might think with all the time spent wiping away finger prints you could lube the post now and again.

It was negligence. I learned my lesson.

elcolombiano
07-16-2012, 11:49 PM
When you treat inanimate objects better than people, you've got a problem.

There are worse things in life than a scratched pos ritchey breakaway made overseas.

Seek help OP.

Why is a Ritchey Breakaway that is made overseas a POS? Almost everything we buy in the USA now days is made overseas. Some of the stuff is good, some is not so good. Because it was made overseas that does not make it a POS. Sadly the majority of stuff made overseas is better made than what is built in the US. I try to buy US made products to help US employment where it makes sense but I refuse to subsidize an inferior product because it is US made.

Kontact
07-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Mine has the same. This keeps the cable from slapping on the finish while you ride. It does not protect well against picking unless the fingers go over the rubber washers.

So there was damage from the cable?

elcolombiano
07-17-2012, 12:09 AM
So there was damage from the cable?

I do not think it is a good idea to pick up the bike the way the shop employee did. I cleaned the TT will with bike polish. If you look carefully up close you can see small surface scratches in the clear coat where he lifted it. Did he cause this? Who knows? The are worse scratches that were acquired over other parts of the frame over the years. Damage is inevitable. If you want to never get any scratches than you can't use the bike. That said, this does not mean you should abuse the bike because it is going to get damaged anyway. Its like a car. If you see an almost empty parking lot why park right next to someone and take a chance they will ding your door when you park some place else where there is plenty of room. If you can pick up the bike by the seat, seatpost, handle bars and or stem why pick it up by the top tube and risk damage?

Kontact
07-17-2012, 01:32 AM
I do not think it is a good idea to pick up the bike the way the shop employee did. I cleaned the TT will with bike polish. If you look carefully up close you can see small surface scratches in the clear coat where he lifted it. Did he cause this? Who knows? The are worse scratches that were acquired over other parts of the frame over the years. Damage is inevitable. If you want to never get any scratches than you can't use the bike. That said, this does not mean you should abuse the bike because it is going to get damaged anyway. Its like a car. If you see an almost empty parking lot why park right next to someone and take a chance they will ding your door when you park some place else where there is plenty of room. If you can pick up the bike by the seat, seatpost, handle bars and or stem why pick it up by the top tube and risk damage?
If you know that the risk of damage is nil, why insist that it is a bad idea and get upset about it?

As I think others have hinted at you, there are things that matter and things that don't when it comes to maintaining a bicycle. You are really fastened on a non-issue, but didn't know how to prevent seat post seizure. Maybe you should be asking yourself what should matter and what else you are completely missing that is going to cause another problem. That would be a more profitable subject to focus on your mechanic and forum posts.

I say all of this as a bicycle mechanic who gets funny looks all the time from cyclists who believe all sorts of goofy things about bike care, but can't oil a chain properly and ride around at 140psi. I will give you credit for not being the kind of person that would argue with a bike mechanic about how to adjust a headset, but you really seem to be fixated on the wrong stuff.

My recent favorite was the customer who's "Campy expert" friend showed him how to rotate the cable housing on installation so the logos face out, but used the wrong housing ferules and cut everything too short. Forest for the trees, I guess.

If that isn't you, great. But I know I can pick up bikes by the TT all day and no one is ever going to find a scratch from me doing that. Non-issue.

54ny77
07-17-2012, 01:48 AM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk189/ferretman2/squirrel20drinks20beer1iu4.gif

elcolombiano
07-17-2012, 01:53 AM
If you know that the risk of damage is nil, why insist that it is a bad idea and get upset about it?

As I think others have hinted at you, there are things that matter and things that don't when it comes to maintaining a bicycle. You are really fastened on a non-issue, but didn't know how to prevent seat post seizure. Maybe you should be asking yourself what should matter and what else you are completely missing that is going to cause another problem. That would be a more profitable subject to focus on your mechanic and forum posts.

I say all of this as a bicycle mechanic who gets funny looks all the time from cyclists who believe all sorts of goofy things about bike care, but can't oil a chain properly and ride around at 140psi. I will give you credit for not being the kind of person that would argue with a bike mechanic about how to adjust a headset, but you really seem to be fixated on the wrong stuff.

My recent favorite was the customer who's "Campy expert" friend showed him how to rotate the cable housing on installation so the logos face out, but used the wrong housing ferules and cut everything too short. Forest for the trees, I guess.

If that isn't you, great. But I know I can pick up bikes by the TT all day and no one is ever going to find a scratch from me doing that. Non-issue.

"If you know that the risk of damage is nil, why insist that it is a bad idea and get upset about it?" It is not nil in my opinion.

Every individual has a right to decide what matters to them. What matters to me may not matter to you and I accept and respect that.

If you want to pick up bicycles by the TT that is ok with me. I just do not want my bicycle handled that way. I am paying the shop to service my bike if they have a problem with this I can take it some where else.

No one is perfect and everyone has room to learn. If someone wants the campy brake cable turned outwards and it pleases them let them do it. Its just an aesthetic thing. Personally I do not care which way my brake cable labels face. Every one claims to be an expert in aesthetics, I understand that.
We all have our quirks. I am not a professional bike mechanic, however I have been messing around with bikes for the past 39 years. I do not claim to know everything. I do know what I like and what I do not. Maybe we should separate aesthetic issues with functional ones here and not co-mingle them. I am burned out with this thread.

Bruce K
07-17-2012, 03:43 AM
This one's gone on long enough and seems to be going in circles.

Time for something new.

BK