PDA

View Full Version : Wiggo on why he doesn't dope

BillG
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Obviously not proof, it's very hard to prove you're not doing something, but it is quite compelling. None of the "doping ruining cycling stuff" all personal, having to do with how he would be impacted if he got caught, and how he was impacted by others who doped in salary negotiations, etc. Perhaps also explains why he got so wacky at the press!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/13/bradley-wiggins-dope-drugs

monkeybanana86
07-13-2012, 06:42 PM
man i'm so gullible

Fivethumbs
07-14-2012, 02:05 AM
The thing I can't figure out is how he can hang with Cancellara and Martin. They look beefy. Wiggins looks...toothpicky.

tsarpepe
07-14-2012, 04:17 AM
The thing I can't fathom is how he can pen a long article like this while competing at the Tour. I remember Voigt doing it two years ago, but his were much shorter.

Fixed
07-14-2012, 06:24 AM
P.r. guy Dictation
Cheers IMHO

Climb01742
07-14-2012, 07:15 AM
i love this guy. i love what he wrote. yes, there are still guys doping for sure, but there are guys like wiggo. and i love that he's as straightforward in saying why he wouldn't dope. call me crazy (or idealistic) but i believe him.

climbgdh
07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
i love this guy. i love what he wrote. yes, there are still guys doping for sure, but there are guys like wiggo. and i love that he's as straightforward in saying why he wouldn't dope. call me crazy (or idealistic) but i believe him.

+1... i believe him too. maybe i'm gullible but whatever. you have to believe that some of the top guys are clean.

don'TreadOnMe
07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

eippo1
07-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I disagree with the naysayers and feel as if it is extremely difficult to dope nowadays without getting caught. More often than not, when someone puts in a huge day at the front, they have at least some trouble the next day. In the past, you'd see those riders pop right back up the next day.
The mountain stages are a lot more exciting nowadays because guys do pop more often making things more interesting.

Fixed
07-14-2012, 01:21 PM
I believe everyone is innocent till proven guilty .
Cheers

choke
07-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Call me cynical but that reads to me like a carefully crafted press release.

witcombusa
07-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Very cafefully crafted!

Puts me in mind of many that have come before him...:no:

And it's not cynisism, it's experience!

BillG
07-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Very cafefully crafted!

Puts me in mind of many that have come before him...:no:

And it's not cynisism, it's experience!

I have no idea whether he is a doper, was a doper, or not. No question it's carefully crafted. But can you think of an example of a statement like that?

Also I think his statement about the French is unfair. Sure they love Virenque, but they also took anti-doping efforts much more serious than any other nation I know of.

malcolm
07-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I want to believe but to me that sounds like what everyone that came before him has said including landis and armstrong. He is saying look at the data I have proven I have the engine. Well they all have the engine, doping doesn't make a sow's ear into a silk purse it just gives you that extra recovery and couple percent to push you ahead. At this point I choose to believe until proven otherwise.

I still think cycling needs to let go of the past, forget about lance and all those other guys. Going back in time and testing 10 year old blood and stripping victories just lets wounds never heal. Develop a clear concise easily understood testing format that applies the same to everyone and have zero tolerance from here forward. Leave the past in the past, consider it a doped field and the best dopers won. It's what you do from here forward that counts.

Earl Gray
07-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Lol!

POTD

cfox
07-14-2012, 08:05 PM
How could it sound otherwise? Any semi-literate piece explaining "why I don't dope" will come across that way to some, no matter the reasoning. Pro bike racing is a sh**ty job. You are completely ignored until you do well, then you are labeled a cheater.

e-RICHIE
07-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I think any pro cyclist could write an essay on why he doesn't dope. To get it printed in The Guardian,
he'd have to be a current news story atmo. When I think back on it, every cyclist who even touched
the issue said he didn't dope. Often the story changes at a later date.

ps

arrange disorder

:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
;):cool::)
:):p:cool:

Neves
07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
I like to read an article where some says I won and I was doped to the gills...:bike:

Dave B
07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
I like to read an article where some says I won and I was doped to the gills...:bike:

If you read Lance's book backwards it says that. ;)

akelman
07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Happy Birthday, Mr. President.

Dave B
07-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Happy Birthday, Mr. President.

Thanks bro!

choke
07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
How could it sound otherwise? Any semi-literate piece explaining "why I don't dope" will come across that way to some, no matter the reasoning. Pro bike racing is a sh**ty job. You are completely ignored until you do well, then you are labeled a cheater.Perhaps you are correct.

To elaborate, I felt that it comes off as something written by a group of people rather than an individual and that it's full of hyperbole and reeks of smug superiority. If he wrote it I'd expect it to be full of 4 letter words.

"Britain is a country where doping is not morally acceptable." I guess all those "Ex-doper Millar wins Tour stage" headlines are mistaken. That line was obviously directed at his fan base and judging by the responses on The Guardian it was a home run.

"If I doped I would potentially stand to lose everything. It's a long list. My reputation, my livelihood, my marriage, my family, my house." Your marriage and your family? Overdramatic often?

He may well be clean....I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Given the history of the sport I sure won't be surprised if he tests positive one day though....

rounder
07-14-2012, 10:49 PM
I probably can not express this properly, but...

I have been watching the Tour daily, and it is the usual compelling story. Guys in shape ride beautiful bikes through gorgeous countryside. The guys knock themselves out daily for glory, to help teammates, and maybe win stages.

Everyone here knows that some/many riders are using performance enhancing drugs. Which ones. How many. Are we wasting our time to even watch this stuff if the outcome is based on drugs rather than pure competition. (no intention to compare this to other professional sports.)

The race is compelling and, to me, Team Sky deserves to be where they are. But, what if everyone racing is doped to the gills. Or, worse, what if only the Team Sky team is doped to the gills and all others are saints who are just doing the best they can.

What are we supposed to think. To me, rules are rules and if you are n competition, you should go by them.

On the other hand, I really like music and know that many of the musicians that I like take drugs regularly. I believe they are doing it more for lifestyle reasons than but for perfomance enhancement. Who cares, the road of rock stars is covered with guys who took too much, and too many drugs at the wrong time, etc.

I am not an athlete or rock star. I am an accountant. I drink coffee daily. The timer is set so that coffee is ready when I get up. Drink another cup while I am driving to work. When I arrive, buy another cup that lasts me all day. It is not illegal, but it is performance enhancing. Not sure that it gives me a competitive advantage, simce others I work with are also drinking coffee.

boxerboxer
07-14-2012, 11:29 PM
For me I don't see a point in all the wild speculation. I'll believe the best til I have hard facts. I have a close friend who spends most of her time worrying about all kinds of things, most of which will never happen. Guess which one of us is happier in life.

fuzzalow
07-15-2012, 07:12 AM
The man doth protest too much.

Marz
07-15-2012, 07:47 AM

How cycnical are you, man. Jeez.

Innocent until proven guilty, yeh, what about that for a concept?

kramnnim
07-15-2012, 10:51 AM
The thing I can't figure out is how he can hang with Cancellara and Martin. They look beefy. Wiggins looks...toothpicky.

...and Froome is even skinnier!

Ray
07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I am not an athlete or rock star. I am an accountant. I drink coffee daily. The timer is set so that coffee is ready when I get up. Drink another cup while I am driving to work. When I arrive, buy another cup that lasts me all day. It is not illegal, but it is performance enhancing. Not sure that it gives me a competitive advantage, simce others I work with are also drinking coffee.

Oh man, I can tell the shame was just killing you. You must feel much better now having come clean to the public. And yet you continue to dope but somehow live with yourself. Life is just so overwhelmingly complex!

-Ray

soupless
07-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm never gonna watch professional accounting on TV ever again.

Climb01742
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm never gonna watch professional accounting on TV ever again.

now that's funny.;)