PDA

View Full Version : OT: Family dog passes, how soon do we get another?

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-13-2012, 05:06 PM
The big man, AKA the wild man, AKA Rusty-Dog passed on Tuesday. Rusty was a Rhodesian Ridgeback-Golden Retreiver mix. A larger than life character, as a few here who have actually met him can attest. There is huge void, but we're OK, remembering the many good, nutty times. He was more my dog, than the family's. We had him for 11 years. Kids loved him, but paid little attention to him, as he was a big fella, very rambunctious and quite the handful for most of his life. He resides at his final resting place under a handsome tree we planted in our backyard. Seems we have a lot of dog lovers/owners here, and many who have had to deal with this exact situation. Question. How soon do we make the visit to the animal shelter?

mbakes
07-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Very sorry to hear about your dog. I still remember how hard it was when our first passed about 7 years ago. We had a puppy at the time and waited about a year before visiting the Humane Society for a second dog. All I can say is that I think it's an individual thing. You will know when the time is right.

echelon_john
07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
We were in between for just over a year. During that time we went away for lots of weekends & trips that were more difficult with dogs. Now we have two.

Sorry for your loss; you'll know when it's the right time. I wouldn't rush out. Also, if your kids are getting older, make sure you're getting a new one because YOU want to, rather than for them.

Scuzzer
07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, it's pretty tough for awhile.

The first time we only waited a month or two and that was because my wife's co-worker had puppies available, it worked out well and we got Ditka. He finally had to be put down just before this past Christmas after 14 years of great companionship and we made the decision to wait a year to get a new puppy. We're almost 8 months in now and my wife is already starting to look at puppies, the kids are clamoring for one and I'm certainly ready.

Based on my experience I'd say somewhere between 1 and 8 months should be enough time but of course YMMV.

Fixed
07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
I got a dog the same week my old friend died and so glad I did .she , I am with her 24 \7 I would not trade her for anything She is most loving and protective dog I have ever owned
That is her to the left :)
Cheers

I forgot to say how sorry Iam for your loss of a friend and family member

rugbysecondrow
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
If you are ready, go for it ASAP. I started looking about a month after, but the delay was more to do with the holidays than my feelings about the matter. It took a while to find a good dog that would fit our family and get along with our other dog, a surly bastard (said with love of course).

My uncle got one the same day, others never recover to get another. It is 100% personal, but when it is right for you, you will make the right decision.

DHallerman
07-13-2012, 06:37 PM
That's tough when a loved dog dies.

Question about timing: Are there things you'd want to do that would be either easier, or just totally possible, to do without a dog?

If so, perhaps a little wait?

I dunno. We adopted our two guys 7 months ago, and whatever changes there are that can frustrate, there are thousands more moments that delight.

krhea
07-13-2012, 06:45 PM
My uncle got one the same day, others never recover to get another. It is 100% personal, but when it is right for you, you will make the right decision.

+1

In the past few months I've been pondering the same question. My dog of 14yrs is finally starting to show her age. Steps have gotten harder, she takes a bit to get after laying for awhile, her hearing has changed etc. She still has the "puppy" in her and at times we marvel at just how great a dog she's been, however, the entire family knows she won't be with us forever and we often times talk about whether we'll ever have another dog once Pepper is gone. She's basically "my dog" as someone else stated in their reply and from my point of view, as much as I love dogs I don't know if I could ever have another after having Pepper. I've had dogs my entire life and love them/respect more than most humans I've been around but Pepper has been "special".

I feel for you and your family and believe "dog people" always make the right decision, no matter what that decision is, after the loss of their friend and family member.

KRhea

Bruce K
07-13-2012, 07:54 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Losing pets is always hard.

I agree with the thoughts that you'll know when it is right.

We have gotten new pets anywhere from 5 days after a loss to 3 years. Each was different and related to the circumstances of the loss and the emotional state of the family because of the loss.

BK

esldude
07-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Yes, tough to lose a special friend like that.

Like others have said you will know when.

I had a dog since before I can remember. Always loved them, and liked having them. One of my favorite things when visiting home from college was seeing my two dogs again. They always were happy I was back. As soon as I got my own place I got another. Had 3 very special pets over the years.

Somehow, when the last one had reached the end of his time with me, I didn't want another. I thought it would only be that way a few months, and never thought of not having a good dog. But that was over ten years ago. I still don't have one, and may still get one. Have them offered to me all the time. Haven't given up on the idea, and still think I will have another one day, but it just hasn't seemed right so far.

jghall
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
So sorry to hear. It is very tough to lose a loved pet.

I've been on both spectrums, waiting a while to instant. Not sure either is better than the other. It all depends on when you and the family are ready.

Hard to think about bringing another little guy/girl into the home when the heart hurts so much, but also need to think of the complete and unconditional joy/love a dog brings to the equation.

Once again, thoughts and prayers.

csm
07-14-2012, 08:51 AM
I think we went just over a 16 mos. I was not on board for another, she looked too much like he did. but after a few months her personality won me over. and though there is some resemblance, they are different dogs.

Wilkinson4
07-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Really sorry to hear this. So, I went years w/o one and when I finally got my little buddy I can't imagine life w/o him. I would say the sooner the better if it were me.

Let us know what you do.

mIKE

wooly
07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Sorry about your dog. Our family went through this three years ago when our Great Dane died (see my avatar pic). He was almost 10 and was out first family dog. When we finally had to put him down, my wife and oldest son came with me to the vet. It was one of the toughest things I've done. We were all in tears. I remember that we all decided that we didn't want another pet because losing it was so darn difficult. Well fast forward 3 months we were ready for a new furry addition to the family. We search and ultimately found a new dog at a rescue and he has been with us for over 2 years.

I think you will know when you're ready. Right now it's hard but it'll get better.

Good luck

mcteague
07-15-2012, 01:04 PM
When my first Siberian Husky died I knew I wanted another dog as soon as possible. However, I had a funny feeling that I was somehow cheating on her by looking for a replacement so soon. I ended up getting a pair of husky littermates.

The male died at age 3 due to his epilepsy. The female is now 9 years old and I am thinking of getting a puppy fairly soon. Not only so I won't be without a four legged friend when she dies,but to have her assist in the training of the puppy. Nothing like having a super well behaved dog lead the way for the little one.

Tim

charlie68
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Over the past 30 or so years, my wife have had dogs nearly all the time. Usually we have more than one. We took a short break from the dogs after we had to have our Greyhound put down because of bone cancer. It didn't take long after her passing before we realized how much the dogs added to our family. We first got a small rescue dog and a couple of years later we got a Yellow Lab. We will never be able to replace the previous dogs, but the dogs provide love, comfort and companionship that is rare. I completely understand the pain and loss when a pet passes, but getting a new dog can help reduce the pain and does nothing to sully the memory of your lost pet. Morn the loss of your dog, be thankful for the relationship you had with you dog and embrace the relationship with a new dog. The are few pleasures in life that are better than the unconditional love given by a dog.