PDA

View Full Version : Creaking Brooks Saddle..Any suggestions to resolve

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 09:29 AM
I put a B17 on my road bike to resolve some "saddle" issues that I had and it has pretty much done that.
It now has between 750-1000 miles on the bike and perhaps 250 miles ago started to creak at times. Not a steady creak with every revolution but a creak non the less that can happen when I go over a bump or such which will happen in NYC.

I have checked the under belly and all seems fine as is the seatpost.
When I get off the bike and press down on it there is no sound that I can hear.

FYI, I do own another Brooks on my commuter /touring bike and never had this issue

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Rob

charliedid
07-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Try a different seatpost...

jr59
07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
a small amount of oil on the bolt in the front may help. Mine creaked a bit, and Bill from Wall bike suggested this and it helped.

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 09:37 AM
On the threads I assume and just any type?

maxdog
07-13-2012, 09:42 AM
No suggestions, unless you haven't tried adjusting (tightening) the tension bolt. If you don't have the dedicated wrench, just use a small adjustable or such. Good luck.

JasonF
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Spray a bit of lubricant on the seat rails, it worked wonders for my Brooks Swallow - the creaking was driving me crazy. Reapply as needed.

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I am pretty sure that tightning the tension bolt should not be needed at this point.

No suggestions, unless you haven't tried adjusting (tightening) the tension bolt. If you don't have the dedicated wrench, just use a small adjustable or such. Good luck.

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Spray a bit of lubricant on the seat rails, it worked wonders for my Brooks Swallow - the creaking was driving me crazy. Reapply as needed.

Worth a try, thanks

redir
07-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Mine was doing that for a month until the bolt finally broke. No more squeaking but not a very comfortable ride :)

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Hmm, I think that is rare, but nothing I can do at this point.
Mine was doing that for a month until the bolt finally broke. No more squeaking but not a very comfortable ride :)

redir
07-13-2012, 10:58 AM
It actually happened on both my Swift saddles though only one of them creaked before it broke. The guys at Wall Bikes told me it could be due to lack of tension. I replaced them with steel bolts instead of Ti.

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
The swift is a great saddle but not the most durable of the line.

In anycase I will watch out for it, ThanksIt actually happened on both my Swift saddles though only one of them creaked before it broke. The guys at Wall Bikes told me it could be due to lack of tension. I replaced them with steel bolts instead of Ti.

Nelson99
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I spray the underside of my Brooks (all my saddles) with frame saver (lanolin) or some other lubricant. Even WD40 works ok. Lanolin is the best because it is highly durable and water resistant, doesn't soften the leather much, and lubricates for a long time (it is sticky and doesn't disappear quickly). Squeaking sometimes comes from the bolt (which lubing should fix) and sometimes from the leather on the frame of the saddle (which the spray lub should fix). On sprung Brooks saddles the springs can creak, again lube does the trick.

Tighten (or loosen) your bolt once in a while, until you find the tension best for you.

Not the Slowest
07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Since Sunday looks like it may be a wash out , I'll work on it and see what happens.

I spray the underside of my Brooks (all my saddles) with frame saver (lanolin) or some other lubricant. Even WD40 works ok. Lanolin is the best because it is highly durable and water resistant, doesn't soften the leather much, and lubricates for a long time (it is sticky and doesn't disappear quickly). Squeaking sometimes comes from the bolt (which lubing should fix) and sometimes from the leather on the frame of the saddle (which the spray lub should fix). On sprung Brooks saddles the springs can creak, again lube does the trick.

Tighten (or loosen) your bolt once in a while, until you find the tension best for you.

fourflys
07-13-2012, 03:57 PM
I've been told to rub some proofhide around the rivets... Can't hurt...