PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new Alpha 340 rims?

weaponsgrade
07-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Has anyone had a chance to test out the new Alpha 340 rims from Stans? Apparently, they use a different design for hooking the tire. In addition to how they ride, I'm particularly interested how easy or not it is to mount a tubeless tire, a tubeless tire w/ a tube, and a clincher. Thanks.

mod6
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I had a set of these wheels built this past fall with 20/24 spoke count using older/lighter rim. Have about 1500 miles on the wheels and I noticed yesterday that rear rim has developed cracks around the eyelets. Really enjoyed the ride of the tubeless wheels and they were a great climbing wheelset . Will talk to my wheel builder today and hopefully Stans will warranty the rim. The new rims have been beefed up to address the above issue.I would also suggest running a higher count than normal if using the older/lighter rim.

weaponsgrade
07-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes I read about those problems with the first gen rims. The newer ones have been beefed up but I think still come in under 400 grams. On paper the rim looks great: sub 400 grams, wide rim, tubeless compatible.

mod6
07-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Ran FUSION 3 Road tubeless on wheel with stans in each tire. Mounting the tire was not that bad have had worst experiences with other tire rim combo's. Needed a compressor to set the bead on the tire . 1500 miles on the tires, no flats yet, just couple of small holes that the stans sealed up.

jds108
07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
I only have a few rides on a set I built myself. They're fine so far. I will say that I also needed an air compressor to get the tubeless tires to seat initially.

Also, I'm using the Hutchinson Intensive 700x25 tubeless. They don't measure out to 25, more like 23. Also, this was the most difficult tire mounting experience I have ever had. They're tight. I'm just assuming that's part of the deal when going tubeless, but this is my first experience.

Nelson99
07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I was looking at these vs the A23's and spoke with a wheel builder about them. One thing to note is that while the internal dimension is about the same on the two wheels, the outside dimension of the A23 is 3mm wider than the 340. That material goes into the rim wall and brake track. The builder I spoke with regards the 340's as event only rims, and recommends the A23 for more general use. Apparently they also build a stiffer wheel.

I guess if you give yourself an extra 80g of aluminum you can get longevity and strength...

Bob Loblaw
07-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I had a similar problem with Stan's rims. I built them for a customer (big strong guy and a weight weenie....bad combination, I know) and the rear only lasted 6 months. I rebuilt it with a close eye on tension, and so far so good.

FWIW he loves the ride of tubeless. From others I have heard mixed reviews. They are higher maintenance (gotta add fluid twice a season), and a flat on the road is a huge mess. Also you have to be careful when deflating the tire because the sealant can clog the valve stem.

The tires go on tight, but if you go tubeless you can use levers without worrying about pinches.

BL

weaponsgrade
07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm looking at the A23s also but haven't been able to find the newer tubeless compatible ones in 20/24 hole. I have a set of DA tubeless with Intensives on one bike and like the ride. But it was a real struggle to get that tire on. I run without sealant but carry a can with me.

Kontact
07-14-2012, 12:37 AM
You can get lighter rims from Kinlin that don't have a reputation for cracking. I don't see the appeal of these pricey Stan's rims.

benitosan1972
07-14-2012, 01:58 AM
I tested a set of these Stan 340 rims for my friend's new company.
Definitely lightweight, but they don't feel strong nor solid nor instill much
confidence at high speeds. Ride quality was harsh, and the rims really flexed on me during 10+% grade hillclimbs and I'm neither strong nor heavy, so go figure...

*I ran them standard/with tubes... 20/24h laced to Alchemy's, I did not like the wheels at all, but not sure to blame the Stan rims or the entire wheelbuild combo

oldpotatoe
07-14-2012, 07:39 AM
You can get lighter rims from Kinlin that don't have a reputation for cracking. I don't see the appeal of these pricey Stan's rims.

Agree. Not a fan of the few sets we have built. Cracks around nipps early on. Soft feeling, not reliable. I think they have gone too far to the light weight side and suffer reliability as a result. Hearing about a wheelbuildier(not us) selling them by putting them on a gram scale is just plain dumb.

Kirk Pacenti
07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Agree. Not a fan of the few sets we have built. Cracks around nipps early on. Soft feeling, not reliable. I think they have gone too far to the light weight side and suffer reliability as a result. Hearing about a wheelbuildier(not us) selling them by putting them on a gram scale is just plain dumb.

I don't like to badmouth anyone's products - especially since I am a competitor of Stan's. But the 340 seems too light to me. Too much sacrificed for the sake of weight.

Cheers,
KP

mod6
07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Looks like Stan's is going to warranty both rims. Will post up a ride report of differences between the old and new rims after I get some time on the rebuilt wheels.

mod6
05-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Long awaited update on the Stan's Alpha 340 rim. The original rims developed cracks last summer after about 2k. Stan's warrantied the rims without an issue and I have 1k on the new hoops. Stan's definitely beefed up the rim's with the newer model. The Tubeless wheels roll real nice, I guess the only drawback is the lack of tire choices. Not really thrilled with the Hutchinson, should hope fully have schwalbe Ultremo ZX tubeles next week too tryout.

cmg
05-10-2013, 11:25 PM
most of the problems happen to 24 spoked rims. USE MORE spokes...

oldpotatoe
05-11-2013, 07:49 AM
most of the problems happen to 24 spoked rims. USE MORE spokes...

Horrors!!!

Ya know 4 spokes weigh about an ounce don't ya??

soulspinner
05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Horrors!!!

Ya know 4 spokes weigh about an ounce don't ya??

Ya, can u pass the IPA and chips...............

mod6
05-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Rim choice was dictated more by the hubs I had laying around and curiosity of tubeless on the road. Will build a new set with 32 spokes if my buddy will part with his I9 road hubs,

eddief
05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
early version 32 hole.