PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever wave cars ahead, or tell the to NOT pass?

Louis
07-12-2012, 11:23 PM
On my ride today with a buddy we were climbing a short, curvy hill and a car attempted to pass us in an insane spot. I was ahead, and first the car passed my buddy, was then between us, about to pass me, but that was right before a blind turn and another car coming down came around . I couldn't see exactly what happened, since all the action was behind me, but happily no bike or car was hit.

Later my buddy told me that he tried to tell the car to not pass, and demonstrated the motion he used with his left arm, but it seemed to me that that motion could have been mis-interpreted as a "go ahead and pass" motion. (Which we occasionally do to try to help out the drivers.)

So now I'm wondering if the better approach is to do nothing at all (other than taking the lane, when you really don't want them to pass) and let the drivers fend for themselves.

My current approach is to wave them on when there is a long, clear straight that the driver can not yet see. Or, if I get the feeling that they want to pass, and I see an oncoming car I stick my left arm out, horizontally, palm back, and hold it there motionless for a few seconds. (assuming I'm not climbing out of the saddle). My "go ahead and pass" motion is a broad left arm sweep motion from back to front.

I'm guessing that there is no 100% right way to handle this, but I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

Louis

eddief
07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
we need to be very careful. i have been in the position of being pretty sure it was clear for the car to pass, gave them the pass signal, and my judgement was not perfect. no close calls, but now i won't give them the pass signal unless it is really really clear. otherwise they get to sit back and wait behind me.

for me this is in a related category to a line of bikes going through a cross street and having the first rider yell "clear." I never do that and I never believe a person in front of me who yells it. dumb cycling behavior.

Louis
07-13-2012, 12:02 AM
The worst part is when the car has been back there a while, and you finally get a moderately long straight, and you waive them on, but being timid they wait, and wait, and wait, then decide to go, but by then an oncoming car has appeared and a mess ensues.

eddief
07-13-2012, 12:07 AM
you do have to wonder what sort of driver would be stupid enough to believe us anyway. could be a good way to get rid of a few :)

these sorts of situations are one of the many reasons a choose the dorkness of an eyeglasses mounted rearview mirror.

The worst part is when the car has been back there a while, and you finally get a moderately long straight, and you waive them on, but being timid they wait, and wait, and wait, then decide to go, but by then an oncoming car has appeared and a mess ensues.

Louis
07-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Actually, I think most drivers appreciate it. I'd guess that about 25% of those I wave ahead do something like wave back, or beep the horn to say "thanks."

Steve in SLO
07-13-2012, 12:18 AM
I only do it when I think I can see something the driver can't...either oncoming traffic or a clear road. I wouldn't presume to tell them what to do otherwise.
I generally find that a thumbs up or wave thru followed by a real wave to them gets a good response.
A hand held out with palm backwards usually stops a pass and in some cases I have had a wave for that, too.
With that said, I usually do both sparingly.

vqdriver
07-13-2012, 12:20 AM
I'd think the gesture is appreciated, given you don't wave them into an incoming truck. It shows that you're acknowledging their patience and brings some clarity to an ambiguous situation.

false_Aest
07-13-2012, 12:49 AM
don't pass = left arm extended out, palm toward driver. fingers/arm/hand don't move

pass = palm forward. make a waving motion to go around.

Someone is going to say dont pass is easily confused with turning left.

It's not.... No one ever motions left with their palm facing backwards AND in a situation like that even if a driver thinks "Hey, he's turning left" that's better than him trying to whiz around you.

g00dride
07-13-2012, 01:48 AM
Good to know.

witcombusa
07-13-2012, 08:49 AM
No, never.

If you waved them on and a "situation" occurred, do you want that responsibility?

Let them make their own decision.

echelon_john
07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I wave them on in clear-cut situations when I can tell they're hesitating; oftentimes this occurs with older drivers who may be more tentative. (not judging--actually i prefer tentative to oblivious/aggressive)

I figure they're doing me the courtesy of respecting my space, so showing them I'm aware of their presence and acknowledging their right to pass seems like a nice gesture.

JayBay
07-13-2012, 09:02 AM
One thing I always try to do is give a quick glance back as soon as I hear a car approaching, making eye contact if I can. I feel that lets the driver know I'm aware that they're there and prepared for them to go around at some point. And when I'm driving - I'd MUCH rather pass a cyclist who's expecting it than try to whizz by without any warning.

I tend to refrain from giving any kind of pass/don't pass hand signal, unless it seems like the driver is being overly cautious/courteous. But around here most drivers will find a way around long before you would think to signal them.

staggerwing
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
I generally don't wave them on, except in certain situations. Cincy drivers can occasionally be too helpful. For example, when trying to make a left, I've had oncoming traffic stop, and wave me across, yet leave enough room for another car to come around their passenger side and cream me. In a situation like that, I'd rather the decision to make a move be mine.

If I'm trying to get a car to hold back, I thrust my left arm out sharply, and at a 45 degree down angle, with palm to the rear and fingers spread wide, as if trying to hold someone back.

Anymore, it seems most drivers are oblivious. On the morning commute, I often get passed on a blind crest, in an expensive residential neighborhood, with an occasional startled reaction due to an oncoming at the peak. At the most, they would have had to wait another 10-15 seconds for a safe spot to pass.

redir
07-13-2012, 09:14 AM
IF I was the driver and a cyclist ahead waved me to pass I still would not do it until I saw for myself it was clear. Kind of like having a passenger in your car and ask them to tell you if it's clear, "NO"... OH I thought you sais "GO!" :no:

No way!

So I don't wave drivers to pass however I will put out the stop "You shall not pass." signal when necessary and I have been thanked for doing that in the past.

DHallerman
07-13-2012, 09:18 AM
No, I do not waive cars to pass, because the traffic conditions can change quickly.

Each driver needs to be responsible for that.

However, at intersections, such as 4-way stops, I often signal cars to go (get them out of my way).

In addition, when I'm making a left turn -- a legal left -- across traffic, I both signal cars to go or to stay, depending on circumstances.

dustyrider
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't interact with cars unless they interact with me in a positive way, like rolling down their window to say "Hello." There is just too much at stake and everyone's perception is so different.

As far as being held accountable by the police for telling a car to pass, I don't think there's anyway you really could be. The driver is, supposed to be, in control of their vehicle, not you, and no amount of "the cyclist said it was clear" is going to get them off the hook if they crash into something through their own actions. Course you could be the object they crash into, so.... you may not want to signal at all.

I believe the above because I was a witness at an accident where a similar event took place. I was waiting in a long line of cars in the right hand lane the car ahead of me signaled a jeep to pull out of the parking lot. The jeep was turning left and had to cut across the left hand lane. As soon as the jeep entered the left hand lane a car t-boned him, and created a nice huge traffic jam. I was asked by the police who showed up, since I was so close to the accident I was kinda stuck, what I witnessed. After I told them, they related to me that the driver of the jeep was trying to put all the blame onto the person ahead of me who signaled for them to go ahead. I asked if what I witnessed would go against the driver ahead of me, and the police officer said absolutely not, the driver of the jeep was completely responsible, as they were the one who is, supposed to be, in control of their vehicle.
Another instance happened to a close friend of mine who was walking across a very busy 4 lane road in a cross walk. The car in the right hand lane stopped and signaled for her to go, as she entered the left hand lane a car traveling at 35mph hit her, and sent her skidding a good 20 yards down the road, the car that signaled for her to go was not held accountable for the actions of my distracted friend. Who to this day looks very, very cautiously at all the traffic before, and while she is in the crosswalk. Tough lesson to learn.

joep2517
07-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I've learned never wave a car by, but I have told one (on a few occasions) to stay back because I've seen debris (or something) on the road and knew we would need to move left. After we got past the obstacle I've waved (thanked) the driver for not passing. I figure they would rather know than be surprised when a group moves left.

OtayBW
07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Usually, if it's clear enough for you to be sure enough to waive a car past , it's clear enough for them to make that decision for themselves. Having said that, I have absolutely no qualms about signalling a slow down to a car behind me, or just taking the lane, signalling, and restricting him completely when it's not safe.

Gummee
07-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm always motioning drivers to pass, stop, etc. Usually its the 'pass me' wave 'cause I'm out in the boonies and there's usually nothing coming.

Every once in a while I screw it up. I'll either motion for em to hurry (usually) or to stop. Lots of times the 'stop' motion is ignored after I've waved em on.

As they're going past, I wave 'thanks.'

Almost every time I've waved someone past, its been appreciated. I realize I'm going slower than the 45mph speed limit of the road I'm on... Everyone gives a little, everyone goes forward faster and safer.

M

Bob Loblaw
07-13-2012, 03:00 PM
If I am in a situation where I judge it's not safe for ME for a car to pass, I take the lane and gesture for them to slow down...generally anything with a palm facing them does the job. When it's clear, I pull to the side, wave them through and then wave thanks. I don't do it every day, or even every week, but if the situation calls for it, I don't hesitate....the more notice you give them, the safer it is for everyone. Once I saved a speeding car from plowing into a deer I could see around a corner but he couldn't. But mostly I do it so a car from behind won't pass me around a blind turn, or so an oncoming car won't pass me at the same moment as a car from behind (the roads here in rural CT are quite narrow).

At stop sign intersections, I take the lane, stop with my foot down and play traffic cop till it's my turn to go.

Just like with everything else, sometimes people are jerks. But mostly people are gracious or even appreciative when I politely but firmly step up and smooth out a potential flustercluck, even if it means they have to slow down for me. It's not like I'm ignoring them or being rude...quite the contrary. I'm doing my best to keep everyone from having a very bad day...as I once told a guy who buzzed me when I caught him at a light, "If you kill me, you will have a much worse day than I will."

My attitude is that I will take complete responsibility for my own safety on the roads. I am the most qualified for the job because, unlike car drivers, I have unimpeded 360 degree vision, I'm going slow enough to see what's going on, and I have no distractions.

BL

fogrider
07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
last week it was a narrow climb with blind curves. I could see a cyclist descending and a car behind me. there was no shoulder, I moved out slightly and put my hand out. the descending cyclist waved to me and I held the car until it was clear. I moved closer to the edge of the road and wave the car on. they can believe me or not, in the end, we all need to take responsibility for our own actions.

martinrjensen
07-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I wave cars past at stop lights when they want to make a right turn all the time.
On the road when I'm riding, I let my riding style tell them if they can pass, i. e. if it's dangerous to pass I will take the full lane for as short a distance as possible (depending on the situation). Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes not, it's hard to describe into text.

If it's safe to pass I usually move as far to the right as possible and sometimes slow down a bit, but not often. If they don't want to pass, not much I can do about it.

Fixed
07-14-2012, 06:23 AM
I only do it when I think I can see something the driver can't...either oncoming traffic or a clear road. I wouldn't presume to tell them what to do otherwise.
I generally find that a thumbs up or wave thru followed by a real wave to them gets a good response.
A hand held out with palm backwards usually stops a pass and in some cases I have had a wave for that, too.
With that said, I usually do both sparingly.

+1 Steve when are we getting a like button like v.s. has ?
Cheers

Gummee
07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
If I am in a situation where I judge it's not safe for ME for a car to pass, I take the lane and gesture for them to slow down...generally anything with a palm facing them does the job. When it's clear, I pull to the side, wave them through and then wave thanks. I don't do it every day, or even every week, but if the situation calls for it, I don't hesitate....the more notice you give them, the safer it is for everyone. Once I saved a speeding car from plowing into a deer I could see around a corner but he couldn't. But mostly I do it so a car from behind won't pass me around a blind turn, or so an oncoming car won't pass me at the same moment as a car from behind (the roads here in rural CT are quite narrow).

At stop sign intersections, I take the lane, stop with my foot down and play traffic cop till it's my turn to go.

Just like with everything else, sometimes people are jerks. But mostly people are gracious or even appreciative when I politely but firmly step up and smooth out a potential flustercluck, even if it means they have to slow down for me. It's not like I'm ignoring them or being rude...quite the contrary. I'm doing my best to keep everyone from having a very bad day...as I once told a guy who buzzed me when I caught him at a light, "If you kill me, you will have a much worse day than I will."

My attitude is that I will take complete responsibility for my own safety on the roads. I am the most qualified for the job because, unlike car drivers, I have unimpeded 360 degree vision, I'm going slow enough to see what's going on, and I have no distractions.

BLYou wouldn't believe the s-t storm that this (my) attitude has raised over on ADVRider. Its MY safety. I'm not going to delegate it to someone else.

The attitude of 'you need to stay as far right as possible' is asinine when it comes to blind corners and crests of hills. That just encourages people to go round you when it isn't safe.

...but with everything ride your ride, I'll ride mine

M

Bob Loblaw
07-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Absolutely. And think of all the threads about texting drivers and riders getting creamed, maimed, killed, and yet cyclists continue to let drivers decide what's safe.

If Captain Cell Phone of the USS Arab Oil Dependency is approaching from behind as Sir Huge Tires of Truck is jousting me from the front, I am not going to cringe on the side of the road and hope for the best. I'm going to move into everyone's field of vision and manage the situation.

BL

You wouldn't believe the s-t storm that this (my) attitude has raised over on ADVRider. Its MY safety. I'm not going to delegate it to someone else.

The attitude of 'you need to stay as far right as possible' is asinine when it comes to blind corners and crests of hills. That just encourages people to go round you when it isn't safe.

...but with everything ride your ride, I'll ride mine

M

cpsqlrwn
07-16-2012, 04:56 PM
don't pass = left arm extended out, palm toward driver. fingers/arm/hand don't move

pass = palm forward. make a waving motion to go around.

+1

Been doing this very thing for a long time

Jack Brunk
07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Locally in the Santa Monica's I always ride out into the lane like a car. I can usually hear a car coming up behind me so I wait until they see me and will move to the right when it's OK from the car to go around. Haven't been hit yet. On weekends it's usually the awsome street Moto's that use the canyon and you can hear them a mile away. I worry more about a moto sliding out in a turn that a car.