PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a tandem

scooter01
09-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Well with all the riding that Dad (Me) is doing my 9 yr old daughter is getting interested too. We did a few rails to trails ride this summer and a few other road events. She is on her fourth bike now, and she REALLY wants to ride with dad on the road. So I am thinking of a used tandem. I don’t want to lie out too much money if she doesn’t keep this interest.
Now what to look for? I have no idea whets well in this market; I am thinking $1000-1200 should cover it. I need some advice whets good, what's not, any body have one that may work for us? I am guessing this will be a two to three years then be done with it.

wasfast
09-20-2005, 01:24 PM
What about those bikes that attach like a trailer like this:

http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/default.aspx?p=Piccolo&i=8

They can still pedal etc but you're not locked together on the cranks etc. Also much cheaper than buying a tandem.

Too Tall
09-20-2005, 01:31 PM
For a new bike to fit your budget I'd think twice.
For not alot Trek does make a decent tandem you should look at. I'm impressed with many thoughtful details and a very nice wheeset to boot.

Pls. consider a used steel tandem it will net you the best bang for the buck. Older steel Santanas and CoMotions are great rides and you certainly can get one for the $$s you are willing to spend.

BTW GREAT idea :)

coylifut
09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I have a tag-a-long like the one in Wasfast's post and I wouldn't reccomend it for a 9 year old who really wants to ride. Number 1, descending on it at any speed above 20 mph is a bit worrisome. It's nothing like a tandem.

FYI. I think Christoph is considering selling his tandem in order to buy a higher bottom bracket model more akin to racing. You might want to PM him.

Bradford
09-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I’m a huge fan of tandems and think you have a great idea. Different tandems have significantly different rides, so if you can get some test rides it that will help you. Tandem riders are usually pretty friendly, so if you can find a group ride, you might be able to test a few out. Around here, we have a lot of tandems in my local group and the TBONEs, a tandem bike club.

I personally love Co-Motions because they ride like my single, meaning they are responsive and lively. (This is not a surprise since my bride and I are on the cover of the 2005 Co-Motion catalogue). I have also ridden a Santana, which is more stable and less lively. I find that people who ride a lot usually prefer the Co-Motion, people who ride less usually prefer the Santana. Since all decisions on a tandem should be made by the person in the back, Santana might be a good choice for your daughter. (The reason the stoker should make the decisions is that, more often than not, the captain is the more enthusiastic rider, so anything that makes the stoker happy increases the amount of time the bike is ridden, and anything the stoker doesn’t like decreases the amount the bike is ridden).

I haven’t ridden Treks or Cannondales, so I can’t help you there.

Used tandems are always available. If you don’t mind something a little older, a used tandem is a great way to go. Check ebay and tandem classifieds to get a sense of pricing. When my friends are thinking about getting a tandem, I usually recommend something used. I think an older steel Santana, even a 7 speed, would be a good choice.

If money is not as important, the Co-Motion Periscope is just about the best idea ever invented for a family tandem. It has a huge range of fit, so as the kids grow, the tandem can be adjusted. When we have kids, a Periscope is in our future.

TimB
09-20-2005, 02:24 PM
http://www.tandemmag.com/classified/#fs
http://www.tandemclub.org/

vaxn8r
09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
I would not agree with a tag along. That works great for a 5-6 year old. Not a 9-12 year old.

For a 9~14 year old you want something with a sloped rear top tube or else you'll need a kiddie stoker crank. On a converntional tandem there is no way to get the post low enough for a child.

I'd look to Co-motion Periscope or Cannondale to suit your needs unless you don't mind a kiddie crank.

spiderman
09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
love our used ibis tandem...
--right in your price range--
...she loves clicking in and out
with her spd pedals.
we just bought matching jerseys
and are having a great time riding together.

scooter01
09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Well I have found a KHS at a local shop, don't know much about them.
I like the Co Motion that looks ideal. I am not going to do a tag a long, she is already too big for that, not to mention the safety issue.

I think maybe a Burley or the Co Motion if I can find one. thanks for the great advice so far!

KevinK
09-20-2005, 05:00 PM
My wife and I ride a 1993 Co-Motion Mocha, that is the model with the 26" tires. We are both slightly smaller that average (stoker is 5'3" and captain is 5'7") and the Mocha fits us prefectly, although my 16 year old son who is 5'10" can fit quite comfortably in the stoker compartment. We have it set up with road componentry and Specialized Fatboy 1.25 slicks. It rides and handles superbly, and has the bombproof feel that is very reassuring when you are decending at 40+ mph. Its not the lightest tandem around, but it is respectable at about 35lbs even with the "old" twin laterals design that Co-Motion used to use. I would recommend it highly as an all-around tandem, and they do come up used every so often. I guess my point is to also give consideration to 26" wheeled tandems during your search. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Kevin